Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

[Locked] Bring Back the Old Jeff Steitzer for Halo Infinite

OP TheDarkKn1ght19

With the Halo: Infinite E3 trailer last summer, I feel like 343 Industries could be reverting back to the old iconic Halo CE - Halo: Reach style.

One thing I hope 343 Industries does is bring back the old voice of Jeff Steitzer, the Halo multiplayer announcer. Jeff's voice is so iconic for Halo multiplayer. I always thought Jeff's voiceovers were awesome and they motivated me to earn certain medals. He made multiplayer more fun!

But I am so sick of hearing Jeff's highly autotuned and robotic announcements in Halo 4, Halo 2 Anniv, and Halo 5. This is just another example of 343 Industries making a change that is absolutely pointless and almost universally disliked.

I miss the way Jeff's voice used to sound in Halo CE - Halo: Reach. His voice was deep, mean, and awesome! Now he sounds extremely cheesy. His voiceovers are too forced and don't fit the Halo vibe. While Halo 5's voiceovers are an improvement over Halo 4, they are still very poor. The closest voiceover that resembles the old Jeff Steitzer is the "Perfect" medal. Even Jeff himself expressed dissatisfaction with the voice direction 343 Industries gave him in a recent interview.

And on a similar topic: get Palmer out of Warzone. She is not a motivator and gets annoying quickly. I would much rather have Jeff doing voiceovers for the entire game, like it used to be.

Edit: Here are some supporters of bringing back the old voice. https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/a1bm4i/happy_birthday_to_the_voice_of_halo_multiplayer/
100% agree with you on this one
I completely agree.
Sure old Jeff was nice, but what really needs to happen is for Halo Infinite to have a Voices of War kind of thing, but as part of the base game instead of being DLC. As long as there's Yabda the Merciless up for purchase with in-game credits, or ideally just available from the get-go, I and many others won't be hearing the default multiplayer announcer at all.
I'd be in favour of that. I heard at some point they weren't even going to bring him back for H4 or H5 at all? Heresy.
Yeah, the voice for the past few games has been overkill *Pun possibly intended*.

I guess it was intended to heighten hype or intensity or something, but I'd say 343 missed their mark with it. I remember listening to the announcements on Halo 4 for the first time and thinking they were trying too hard.

There are a lot of formulae like this that Bungie really had nailed with the original Halo games that didn't need improvement or reimagining. I understand the pressure and desire to change things around for 343 to mark their territory over the new games to keep people from saying they're just riding Bungie's coattails forever, but I believe a lot of the design mistakes in Halo 4 and 5 come from that mentality. Nice to see Infinite reverting to a lot of what worked at least with regards to the old art style; it's very encouraging.
I seem to remember that in Halo Wars 2 (came after Halo 5), his voice is much less autotuned. I agree that I love Jeff's CE-Reach voicework more than his Halo 4/5 work and would love to see him return to the deeper voice.

The only thing is to remember that Jeff is like 67 or 68 years old. He is getting up there in years, so if completely unedited his voice still might not have the same timbre of his earlier performance or his mannerisms might be slightly different. Similar things are happening to other older voice actors such as James Earl Jones (Darth Vader). James still can pull it off well, but if you listen (lets say in Rogue One), his Vader voice isn't quite 100% the same as it was years ago. Of course in this case, I'd still probably prefer unedited Jeff over autotuned, cheesy Jeff.
His voice is something special. Really ties my Halo experience together.
It might be only me, but I really like the Jeff's voice in Halo 5. I think it has energy when he says SLAYERRRR, or PURFEEECT. In Reach he sound deep, but also dull. Other than that I wish he was in Warzone too.
I agree, just let him do it naturally without making it sound filtered. Although I will admit I’d want to see Palmer included in a Voices of War-type DLC. I still think she’d be a lot cooler if she called out multikills like Jeff does. Jennifer Hale is really talented but the Halo 4/5 campaigns, SpOps, and WZ have totally misused her.
I seem to remember that in Halo Wars 2 (came after Halo 5), his voice is much less autotuned. I agree that I love Jeff's CE-Reach voicework more than his Halo 4/5 work and would love to see him return to the deeper voice.

The only thing is to remember that Jeff is like 67 or 68 years old. He is getting up there in years, so if completely unedited his voice still might not have the same timbre of his earlier performance or his mannerisms might be slightly different. Similar things are happening to other older voice actors such as James Earl Jones (Darth Vader). James still can pull it off well, but if you listen (lets say in Rogue One), his Vader voice isn't quite 100% the same as it was years ago. Of course in this case, I'd still probably prefer unedited Jeff over autotuned, cheesy Jeff.
Can you link me a source to his voice in Halo Wars 2? I didn't even know he was in that game.
Although I didn’t mind the halo 5 version of Jeff I’ll always prefer the halo 3-Reach version
Jeff is halos answer to Bruce Buffer
I agree with this for sure. The old style Jeff sound bites is pure Halo and is part of what makes it so iconic.
100% agree, the announcer filter in Halo 4, 5 and 2A sucks. Even my friends who aren't that big of Halo fans make fun of it when we play.
Please don't revive old topics thanks