Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Campaign Fire teams and Revive Function

OP Melon Cooler29

I don't know if there's been much talk about this, or any news, but I'd like to bring up the fire team and revive functions present in Halo 5.

Personally I'd prefer for them to be scrapped. Fire Teams show that the campaign is more focused on co-op, and just gives you some bullet-sponges throughout the entire game when playing alone (that also have poor AI). It creates a sort of problem narratively as now you always need a reason for these characters to be together, and it doesn't necessarily allow for more lonely, darker, and explorative parts of the campaign that we see in the previous games (you're walking through a dark swamp alone, wondering why the Covenant is fleeing in 343 Guilty Spark, or you're exploring this strange and unkown land trying to regroup with anyone else in Halo).

The revive function just decreases the punishment for dying in game. You can make much more bold and stupid decisions, as there's always the chance you'll just be brought back up (if the AI manages to pathfind 3m to get to you without dying). Also, it doesn't make too much sense looking at it. I just took a rocket to the face? Why is my friend able to shine a green flashlight on me and I walk away from that without injury?

What are your thoughts on the matter?
Agree on both fronts. Though I don't mind if they wanted to have a team for some missions.
I prefer the fire team stay perhaps with the option to turn it off if your prefer, but I can go either way on the revive mechanic.
God, I hope that revive mechanic won't come back in Infinite. The reasons already have been mentioned by the OP.
There is absolutely no excitement when there's no punishment for beeing totally reckless during the missions.

If there's a fireteam or not obviously depends on the story. But if you ask me I would just give them another tasks. What made CE so mysterious & thrilling in my eyes was the fact that you were on your own for the most time. Surely there were some missions where you were accompanied by marines (and I really appreciate these missions, call me a weirdo but I always tried to save them, sometimes I killed myself just to get back to the last checkpoint and finish the mission all together, lmao) but CE really shines really with these missions where Chief is on his own discovering new stuff w. the help of cortana.
I would really not feel that level of excitement when 3 other spartans would always talk unnecessary stuff and take away the "horror-aspect" where the Flood was present. (Libary, Two Betrayals etc.)

Part of it is also up to imagination. I was a little kid back when CE came out, so accomplishing these tasks on my own also gave me some sort of self-confidence. I felt like my decisions were crucial for the fate of humanity and I could not be replaced. I never had that type of excitement in Guardians. You die, you get revived. And even if not - there are hundreds of spartans in service.
I really hope that most of the other spartans will have their hands full dealing with other stuff (maybe even sacrifice them in a big battle like in Operation Torpedo back then).

TL;DR: I don't want the revive mechanic to return and I really don't need spartans by my side all the time.
Bring back the fireteam and scrap the revive function.That's ideal to me.
Little things like these is what takes Halo's originality away. I prefer just classic solo gameplay with a squad of marines every now & then. H5 just seemed like Call of Duty: Republic Commando lol all these non-halo mechanics. Halo is just one of those games that shouldn't really evolve in terms of gameplay IMO however, Halo Reach is my only exception.
Mnkymn89 wrote:
I prefer the fire team stay perhaps with the option to turn it off if your prefer, but I can go either way on the revive mechanic.
Turning it off doesn't make much sense though. The fire team mechanic adds a fire team alongside you. They're not there exclusively for gameplay, but for story reasons too, which also brings up the problem of having to flush out a minimum of 3 additional characters (which was done very poorly in H5. We weren't really given any reasons to like characters other than Buck and Chief, and only because of previous games, disregarding books). As I've mentioned it also hampers what can be done atmospherically in the campaign.

I like what was done in Halo 3 with having an additional 3 characters join alongside the Chief depending on how many were playing coop. It adds a bit more variety than just having 4 Chiefs. They could also expand it by allowing you to choose from a list of characters who you wish to play as (assuming it makes sense, of course).
Halo is just one of those games that shouldn't really evolve in terms of gameplay IMO however, Halo Reach is my only exception.
I disagree about that to a certain extent. At it's core Halo should stay the same without radical changes like enhanced movement, ADS, etc., but it should evolve in ways like Halo 2 to Halo 3 -- a few small additions here and there to mix things up a little, but not much (no armour abilities though please).
Mnkymn89 wrote:
Turning it off doesn't make much sense though. The fire team mechanic adds a fire team alongside you. They're not there exclusively for gameplay, but for story reasons too, which also brings up the problem of having to flush out a minimum of 3 additional characters (which was done very poorly in H5. We weren't really given any reasons to like characters other than Buck and Chief, and only because of previous games, disregarding books). As I've mentioned it also hampers what can be done atmospherically in the campaign.

I like what was done in Halo 3 with having an additional 3 characters join alongside the Chief depending on how many were playing coop. It adds a bit more variety than just having 4 Chiefs. They could also expand it by allowing you to choose from a list of characters who you wish to play as (assuming it makes sense, of course).
I hear you, but I feel if they keep it contained to one squad this game(blue team) they can rectify that problem. I definitely agree the AI for them needs to be improved though. As for as the atmosphere and stuff goes majority of the time a soldier is going to be with his squad, not saying they cant split up sometimes but it makes more sense for them to be together. I honestly dont see the halo 3 approach much different then the turning the option off, AI teammates really dont help you kill anything for the most part so you still essentially play solo, you just get all the characters there with you which I thought was pretty awesome as opposed to how people played halo 3 solo or two player and have no idea who usze and ntho and werent really expanded on at all until hunters in the dark. I like the option method because they can still be there with the in-game dialouge and cutscenes but not effect your gameplay experience if thats what you want. I know not everyone will agree with me, but thats ok.
Fire teams wasn’t a bad idea to me just executed poorly because the AI are borderline dumb. Plus my personal reason for loving a Halo campaign is so I can Speedrun it solo (attempt to at least) fire teams slow that down at least it did In H5. I honestly just want to see it expanded in H:I.
Definitely scrap the revive and bring back the old co-op spawn in system or solo restart.
As for the fire team, a little bit of classic lone wolf and squadd mix like Halo reach (only blue team tho! kill off or disable all other spartians if need be, just not blue team) .
As for the story co-op vs solo just make the story play out like H3 did with arby and the cheif. Ex- if you played solo blue might have another objective somewhere else and in Co-op blue is with you and Marines are taking care of the other objective.
It creates a sort of problem narratively as now you always need a reason for these characters to be together, and it doesn't necessarily allow for more lonely, darker, and explorative parts of the campaign that we see in the previous games
Hit the nail on the freaking head, dude. This, x100. If Infinite is genuinely going to try and recapture "mystery" and "exploration" of Halo: CE, then being able to give Chief (and, by extension, the player) moments of solitude is absolutely paramount. It's as much a gameplay experience as it is a narrative tool, in my opinion.

As for co-op, I think Infinite should try to copy Halo 3's approach to playable characters. In 3, the Arbiter wasn't always around in the Single-player narrative (which allowed for those "solitary" Chief moments), but having him as a permanent P2 in co-op still totally fit the plot, with little impact on the overall experience. And N'tho and Uzse (the Blue/Crimson Elites for P3/P4) were also technically "canonical," but had no impact on the narrative whatsoever; that way, the game's narrative experience could scale to support any number of players, while maintaining the same Chief-focused narrative, and not breaking the "immersion" by having 4 clone Chiefs running around like Halo 4. To me, it's the best balance any of the games have had, narratively.

Also, now that Spartans and SoS Elites are canonically stated to be cross-training together (via the Anvil Initiative), I would suggest Infinite could use some S-IVs or Elites from that initiative as playable characters in co-op (or, at that point, maybe even the players' custom characters, since that could still technically fit the canon of the Anvil Initiative). Just like the N'tho and Uzse from H3, those extra characters would be loosely "canonical," but with minimal impact on the plot. Again, the narrative would scale to fit any number of players, while still allowing Chief to be alone in Single-player.