Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Campaign Speculation

OP BlitzGear02

To begin, I would like to propose an idea, a baseless concept that I’ve been contemplating:

• What if Halo Infinite’s “Campaign” segment is actually a suite of PvE game modes and future story expansions, on top of the game’s own Campaign?
Could something like this be the reason that the Campaign is being offered independently of the Multiplayer for full price?

What are your thoughts on the matter?
F2P multiplayer games makes millions selling -Yoink- weapon and armor skins and similar stuff. Maybe that's the reason why Multiplayer is separated
suszini wrote:
F2P multiplayer games makes millions selling -Yoink- weapon and armor skins and similar stuff. Maybe that's the reason why Multiplayer is separated
That is indeed how F2P multiplayer offerings get their returns on investments. But that’s just it: The Multiplayer is going to be self-sufficient with microtransactions.

So, what makes the Campaign so valuable on its own, then? Why is it worth $60?
To begin, I would like to propose an idea, a baseless concept that I’ve been contemplating:
  • What if Halo Infinite’s “Campaign” segment is actually a suite of PvE game modes and future story expansions, on top of the game’s own Campaign?
Could something like this be the reason that the Campaign is being offered independently of the Multiplayer for full price?

It would be cool if the day 1 story is just the first part and later on (maybe when other seasons come out) there will be more parts to the story (this makes sense becasue its gonna be a "10 year game"). Plus this would justify the story being 60 bucks separately from the multiplayer.

It would be cool if the day 1 story is just the first part and later on (maybe when other seasons come out) there will be more parts to the story (this makes sense becasue its gonna be a "10 year game"). Plus this would justify the story being 60 bucks separately from the multiplayer.
I agree! A seasonally continued story would add exceptional value to the purchase.

Could you imagine a constant stream of in-game Halo lore for the next decade?

I agree! A seasonally continued story would add exceptional value to the purchase.

I mean it sounds amazing, but there is no way that they would offer the $60 campaign with a promise of more free expansions down the line. No, I think they are charging $60 for the campaign because they figure it's partly open world/previous than bigger campaigns, and the halo nerds will all buy it either way. I imagine they see the whole game as being $60, and the MP is also available as a free separate component. I would expect new campaign content within a year of launch, but I would expect to pay for it too. They'll probably keep dumping out more "Campaigns" for $60 a pop every year now, hoping to move into the yearly COD/BF market.

I imagine they're very excited about the money that it will make, but I suspect it's really going to suck for the players.

I mean it sounds amazing, but there is no way that they would offer the $60 campaign with a promise of more free expansions down the line. No, I think they are charging $60 for the campaign because they figure it's partly open world/previous than bigger campaigns, and the halo nerds will all buy it either way. I imagine they see the whole game as being $60, and the MP is also available as a free separate component. I would expect new campaign content within a year of launch, but I would expect to pay for it too. They'll probably keep dumping out more "Campaigns" for $60 a pop every year now, hoping to move into the yearly COD/BF market.

I imagine they're very excited about the money that it will make, but I suspect it's really going to suck for the players.
They could go that route, in all honesty. But even then, more Campaigns might not be the only thing in there.

I can envision the “Campaign” purchase entailing cooperative PVE offerings like Firefight or a reimagined variant of Warzone as well, but only because I don’t know any details about their potential existence.

Could be the case that they just cram modes like those into multiplayer and let the campaign be its own thing. Could be that the Campaign + paid expansion is the only thing it offers. No idea, but I find it interesting to think about.

They could go that route, in all honesty. But even then, more Campaigns might not be the only thing in there.

I can envision the “Campaign” purchase entailing cooperative PVE offerings like Firefight or a reimagined variant of Warzone as well, but only because I don’t know any details about their potential existence.

Could be the case that they just cram modes like those into multiplayer and let the campaign be its own thing. Could be that the Campaign + paid expansion is the only thing it offers. No idea, but I find it interesting to think about.
Agreed! I'm doubtful that we're getting firefight or a warzone version, at least not at launch. Warzone is particularly unlikely, with no playable elites.

I think given the marketing disaster that this game has been, they would have told us about these things if they were coming with the campaign. If anything, they might make it so that Season 1 comes with the campaign purchase.

Agreed! I'm doubtful that we're getting firefight or a warzone version, at least not at launch. Warzone is particularly unlikely, with no playable elites.

I think given the marketing disaster that this game has been, they would have told us about these things if they were coming with the campaign. If anything, they might make it so that Season 1 comes with the campaign purchase.
I thought Halo was getting relatively good press thanks to the flights, but overall, it is scary for 343 to spill their guts about the Multiplayer and then say nothing about the Campaign.

I’m choosing to remain open minded, but I understand where the doubt comes from. Being left in the dark doesn’t exactly inspire hope…
I think we'd have heard about it by now if that were the case. I think the idea is that it'll justify its $60 price tag by being a bigger, more expansive Halo campaign. There are certainly games I've played within the 10-15 hour range that I paid full price for and thought were justified, we'll see if Halo Infinite can pull it off as well.
They're selling it at 60 because the price tag is unlikely to ultimately drive too many people away. As brought up in many threads complaining about price, there's always game pass, which is what microsoft actually wants you paying for.

60 dollars is no guaruntee of anything quantity or quality wise. Its merely the usual AAA game price.
I honestly think they will be going the Destiny 2 route. We have year 1 of Halo Infinite and they will continue to add story expansions to the game on a schedule and constantly update the multiplayer component. Right now we will have the base Halo Infinite campaign and like end of 2022 we get a story expansion to add on to it. More multiplayer additions. Another story expansion added in 2023, more multiplayer add ons etc etc. Which is another reason why Micro-transactions are heavily featured to help fund this content.

The reason multiplayer is being offered as a free game is to get more people playing, that is literally all.
They're selling it at 60 because the price tag is unlikely to ultimately drive too many people away. As brought up in many threads complaining about price, there's always game pass, which is what microsoft actually wants you paying for.

60 dollars is no guaruntee of anything quantity or quality wise. Its merely the usual AAA game price.
Yeah, also I'm sure it'll go down to 49.99 around the end of December for Christmas time etc

The reason multiplayer is being offered as a free game is to get more people playing, that is literally all.
I mean, fair enough.

I mean, fair enough.
It's pretty simple, yet genius tbh. Warzone set a huge example and Halo doing the same with its multiplayer is really smart IMO
Don't you think we would have received confirmation by now if 343 were planning on providing regular updates to the campaign experience? It feels like 343 has a mountain to climb in the next 2 months and hasn't even thought beyond that major summit.
With the whole "you are your spartan" approach 343 have been taking, I wouldn't be surprised if one day we see our own spartan end up in the campaign like reach style. That could also help 343 further push people into buying the battle pass to access more customisation options. If Infinite is to survive as the Halo for the next decade campaign expansions would be a smart way to keep people interested but I hope it's not something that's released every year poorly made with little care and thought put into it.
Personally I would prefer the campaign all out on launch and have a conclusion. If 343 wanted to add 'expansions' so to speak that would be amazing but I really don't like the idea of the campaign being broken into seasonal releases.

Speaking of campaign, do we think we'll get another look at it before the launch? I'd love a new small gameplay segment or at least another trailer of some kind, the campaign news is just so quiet right now and it's concerning.