Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Campaign Weapon Loadouts/Starting Weapons.

OP SectionUnity

How ever Halo Infinite plays, I hope we don't get a preset loadout like in Halo 5. It is a bad idea for players always starting with the same default weapons every mission. We don't even start with a needler like in Halo 2 let alone a sniper or rocket launcher and we know those missions, ect.

The preset weapon Loadouts in my opinion have got to go. I know everyone likes spawning a mission with a certain weapon meant, and logical for the mission.
here's an idea,

for basic multiplayer: equal starts, everyone spawns with the same weapons.

campaign/ Spartan Ops/ firefight: load outs. either the customizable load outs from H4 or the presets from Reach firefight
I wouldn't like this. If the campaign is any good, you'll find what best suits the situation through your interactions with enemies, allies, and the sandbox as a whole. Loadouts are unneeded if the level designers are competent. That's not to say I want to start every single mission with an AR and pistol, though. It's good to mix things up, but I'd rather leave that to the designers.
I wouldn't like this. If the campaign is any good, you'll find what best suits the situation through your interactions with enemies, allies, and the sandbox as a whole. Loadouts are unneeded if the level designers are competent. That's not to say I want to start every single mission with an AR and pistol, though. It's good to mix things up, but I'd rather leave that to the designers.
also imagine how this effects multiplayer, equal starts are one of the major gameplay mechanics of the series
It should just be like in previous games before H5: you start with a weapon befitting the Chief's position and mission.
Campaign load outs should reflect the situation in the story. stuck on a covenant ship? You get covie weapons. Being deployed from a pelican? Classic weapons.

Maybe have a mission or two where you start in an ships or base armoury and you can choose what you want from what's available and the cutscene changes to suit your choices
How ever Halo Infinite plays, I hope we don't get a preset loadout like in Halo 5. It is a bad idea for players always starting with the same default weapons every mission. We don't even start with a needler like in Halo 2 let alone a sniper or rocket launcher and we know those missions, ect.

The preset weapon Loadouts in my opinion have got to go. I know everyone likes spawning a mission with a certain weapon meant, and logical for the mission.
I thought up this - it’d be a great gameplay/design choice if masterchief found weapons properly - eg instead of a weapon just laying there,masterchief is meant to find the weapon and therefore the player is forced to use different weapons throughout the level - your idea would also work great seeing as legendary can be hard with normal weapons - also,ammo,so annoying without the infinite ammo skull activated ;)
It should just be like in previous games before H5: you start with a weapon befitting the Chief's position and mission.
Campaign load outs should reflect the situation in the story. stuck on a covenant ship? You get covie weapons. Being deployed from a pelican? Classic weapons.

Maybe have a mission or two where you start in an ships or base armoury and you can choose what you want from what's available and the cutscene changes to suit your choices
Halo 2 did this and I would welcome its return.

Some examples...
  • There is not a single human weapon on "The Arbiter" or "The Oracle"
  • In "Gravemind", Master Chief scares a grunt and takes his needler, which is the weapon you begin the mission with. On top of that there are no human weapons to be found in High Charity.
An example of when this is not utilized can be found in Halo 4. In the intro cutscene for the mission "Composer", the Master Chief is shown holding a Carbine he took and used to clear the Liche he boarded. When the mission begins he as an Assault Rifle and Magnum.
JB Linken wrote:
It should just be like in previous games before H5: you start with a weapon befitting the Chief's position and mission.
Campaign load outs should reflect the situation in the story. stuck on a covenant ship? You get covie weapons. Being deployed from a pelican? Classic weapons.

Maybe have a mission or two where you start in an ships or base armoury and you can choose what you want from what's available and the cutscene changes to suit your choices
Halo 2 did this and I would welcome its return.

Some examples...
  • There is not a single human weapon on "The Arbiter" or "The Oracle"
  • In "Gravemind", Master Chief scares a grunt and takes his needler, which is the weapon you begin the mission with. On top of that there are no human weapons to be found in High Charity.
An example of when this is not utilized can be found in Halo 4. In the intro cutscene for the mission "Composer", the Master Chief is shown holding a Carbine he took and used to clear the Liche he boarded. When the mission begins he as an Assault Rifle and Magnum.
Exactly. I wasnʻt fond of starting with a Needler on Halo 2. But it made sense. So I became more fond of finding weapons to make use out of it as I go along the campaign.
How ever Halo Infinite plays, I hope we don't get a preset loadout like in Halo 5. It is a bad idea for players always starting with the same default weapons every mission. We don't even start with a needler like in Halo 2 let alone a sniper or rocket launcher and we know those missions, ect.

The preset weapon Loadouts in my opinion have got to go. I know everyone likes spawning a mission with a certain weapon meant, and logical for the mission.
I thought up this - it’d be a great gameplay/design choice if masterchief found weapons properly - eg instead of a weapon just laying there,masterchief is meant to find the weapon and therefore the player is forced to use different weapons throughout the level - your idea would also work great seeing as legendary can be hard with normal weapons - also,ammo,so annoying without the infinite ammo skull activated ;)
I disagree with your idea. Id like the free choice on choosing what I like the continue with especially if its legendary. You your eg is like a cinematic. I donʻt like games that force me to grab a weapon in order to continue the mission. Reminds me of Call of Duty games.

I also never play with skulls. Makes me feel cheating. But I donʻt mind if its in the game for others.
I wouldn't like this. If the campaign is any good, you'll find what best suits the situation through your interactions with enemies, allies, and the sandbox as a whole. Loadouts are unneeded if the level designers are competent. That's not to say I want to start every single mission with an AR and pistol, though. It's good to mix things up, but I'd rather leave that to the designers.
I take it on the situation on what I start with. The pros of weapons in Halo is that weapons never last throughout the mission. Then, you have to look for whats best suited in the mission sandbox and then it makes sense.
Loadouts have no place in this franchise, neither in multiplayer, nor in the campaign. All the power comes from the maps (or environment in the campaign) and not as a base trait. CE / 2 had it done right, where you would start several missions w. other weapons. (Sniper on Truth and Reconcilliation, Needler on High charity etc.)
Though I'm not totally against a small loadout selection ala SPV3, I would prefer the starting weapons be up the mission designers that can vary from level to level. In addition missions that lead directly into the next one(ones that don't end with you returning to a base/pelican/what have you) should retain the player's weapons from the previous mission.

Though the real problem I have found with 343 era games(though it certainly can be a problem in some Bungie games as well) is that the player's ammo capacity is now so small that it makes most starting loadouts pointless unless there are generous resupplies. If I have to throw away the starting weapons after a couple encounters then what is the point?
I wouldn't like this. If the campaign is any good, you'll find what best suits the situation through your interactions with enemies, allies, and the sandbox as a whole. Loadouts are unneeded if the level designers are competent. That's not to say I want to start every single mission with an AR and pistol, though. It's good to mix things up, but I'd rather leave that to the designers.
I feel like 343 needs to buff the ar because I think that a little 9mm should do less damage then a assault rifle round and it would make much more sense in general
I wouldn't like this. If the campaign is any good, you'll find what best suits the situation through your interactions with enemies, allies, and the sandbox as a whole. Loadouts are unneeded if the level designers are competent. That's not to say I want to start every single mission with an AR and pistol, though. It's good to mix things up, but I'd rather leave that to the designers.
I feel like 343 needs to buff the ar because I think that a little 9mm should do less damage then a assault rifle round and it would make much more sense in general
OT: Not to get bogged down in the lore, but the Pistol uses 12.7X40mm rounds that are also sometimes high explosive rounds, it aint no peashooter. This "the AR needs to be better than the Pistol because its a Pistol" stuff has got to stop. When you can only carry two weapon at any given time regardless of size or shape there is absolutely no room in the sandbox for a "sidearm." All weapons need to be viable one way or another regardless of how they look and a having a dedicated "backup" weapon only makes sense when players have a dedicated "sidearm" slot.
WerepyreND wrote:
Though I'm not totally against a small loadout selection ala SPV3, I would prefer the starting weapons be up the mission designers that can vary from level to level. In addition missions that lead directly into the next one(ones that don't end with you returning to a base/pelican/what have you) should retain the player's weapons from the previous mission.

Though the real problem I have found with 343 era games(though it certainly can be a problem in some Bungie games as well) is that the player's ammo capacity is now so small that it makes most starting loadouts pointless unless there are generous resupplies. If I have to throw away the starting weapons after a couple encounters then what is the point?
SPV3 doesnʻt count, its not a mainstream game from 343i. And in the past Halo games, I think it has done what you stated. Ending a certain mission with one weapon and starting a new mission with the same weapon.

And the ammo capacity is small by standards. I normally conserve my ammo that I end up lasting ammo longer than other players. But in state of crisis, you do have less ammo in due time. But imo, they shouldnʻt make it like Halo CE ammo. Its just a ridiculous amount.
WerepyreND wrote:
Though I'm not totally against a small loadout selection ala SPV3, I would prefer the starting weapons be up the mission designers that can vary from level to level. In addition missions that lead directly into the next one(ones that don't end with you returning to a base/pelican/what have you) should retain the player's weapons from the previous mission.

Though the real problem I have found with 343 era games(though it certainly can be a problem in some Bungie games as well) is that the player's ammo capacity is now so small that it makes most starting loadouts pointless unless there are generous resupplies. If I have to throw away the starting weapons after a couple encounters then what is the point?
SPV3 doesnʻt count, its not a mainstream game from 343i.
"Doesn't count"... Doesn't count for what? What are you on about? In a topic about campaign starting weapons I have no idea why we are arbitrarily limited to mainstream games from 343 or Bungie for that matter. There is zero reason to limit ourselves in that matter and its not as if features from mods becoming "mainstream" game features is unprecedented. Shoot Counterstrike was mod before becoming its own game entirely.
Quote:
And in the past Halo games, I think it has done what you stated. Ending a certain mission with one weapon and starting a new mission with the same weapon.
I never said it didn't in certain instances, but it isn't always the case. On a tangential note it is also the reason I prefered the in engine cutscenes from og Halo 2 as opposed to pre rendered scenes where you have x, y, or z weapon at all times. I just happen to like little details like that but its not as if its a dealbreaker.
Quote:
And the ammo capacity is small by standards. I normally conserve my ammo that I end up lasting ammo longer than other players. But in state of crisis, you do have less ammo in due time. But imo, they shouldnʻt make it like Halo CE ammo. Its just a ridiculous amount.
Give me one good reason why? Seemed to work fine for CE. You can always limit the ammo to a greater degree in multiplayer if that's your concern. It is not as if the ammo capacity in CE made the campaign any easier, in fact I would argue it is still the most difficult campaign that is also the most fair. I think it is far more interesting for weapon selections(at least among the more basic weapons) to be a choice based on playstyle rather than whether you can find ammo. Even with perfect accuracy your starting weapons are never going to last you in Halo 5 and often in Halo 4 for that matter. The battery based weapons are particularly bad as you pick them up and throw them away with such regularity it is almost comical. Mixing the lowest ammo capacities in the series with some of the worst(if not the worst) bullet sponges in the series is never going to end well.

Again, having higher ammo capacities does not prevent designers from making the game difficult. It just limits the number of contrivances needed per level to resupply the player and allows weapon use to be a matter of preference(provided they are used properly) rather than being based on what you can actually find ammo for.
WerepyreND wrote:
WerepyreND wrote:
Though I'm not totally against a small loadout selection ala SPV3, I would prefer the starting weapons be up the mission designers that can vary from level to level. In addition missions that lead directly into the next one(ones that don't end with you returning to a base/pelican/what have you) should retain the player's weapons from the previous mission.

Though the real problem I have found with 343 era games(though it certainly can be a problem in some Bungie games as well) is that the player's ammo capacity is now so small that it makes most starting loadouts pointless unless there are generous resupplies. If I have to throw away the starting weapons after a couple encounters then what is the point?
SPV3 doesnʻt count, its not a mainstream game from 343i.
"Doesn't count"... Doesn't count for what? What are you on about? In a topic about campaign starting weapons I have no idea why we are arbitrarily limited to mainstream games from 343 or Bungie for that matter. There is zero reason to limit ourselves in that matter and its not as if features from mods becoming "mainstream" game features is unprecedented. Shoot Counterstrike was mod before becoming its own game entirely.
Quote:
And in the past Halo games, I think it has done what you stated. Ending a certain mission with one weapon and starting a new mission with the same weapon.
I never said it didn't in certain instances, but it isn't always the case. On a tangential note it is also the reason I prefered the in engine cutscenes from og Halo 2 as opposed to pre rendered scenes where you have x, y, or z weapon at all times. I just happen to like little details like that but its not as if its a dealbreaker.
Quote:
And the ammo capacity is small by standards. I normally conserve my ammo that I end up lasting ammo longer than other players. But in state of crisis, you do have less ammo in due time. But imo, they shouldnʻt make it like Halo CE ammo. Its just a ridiculous amount.
Give me one good reason why? Seemed to work fine for CE. You can always limit the ammo to a greater degree in multiplayer if that's your concern. It is not as if the ammo capacity in CE made the campaign any easier, in fact I would argue it is still the most difficult campaign that is also the most fair. I think it is far more interesting for weapon selections(at least among the more basic weapons) to be a choice based on playstyle rather than whether you can find ammo. Even with perfect accuracy your starting weapons are never going to last you in Halo 5 and often in Halo 4 for that matter. The battery based weapons are particularly bad as you pick them up and throw them away with such regularity it is almost comical. Mixing the lowest ammo capacities in the series with some of the worst(if not the worst) bullet sponges in the series is never going to end well.

Again, having higher ammo capacities does not prevent designers from making the game difficult. It just limits the number of contrivances needed per level to resupply the player and allows weapon use to be a matter of preference(provided they are used properly) rather than being based on what you can actually find ammo for.
I didnʻt mean SPV3 as what you stated. I just want to keep the conversation confined to the Halo games because other games usually have a different formula in their gameplay.

And I know what youʻre talking about with the weapons. I was just only acknowledging what you were stating.

Honestly, I can not talk the way you do. Some of the words you say are hard for me to interpret, but, I think I know what you are going on about. How scarce the ammo capacity is for those basic weapons justifies (in my opinion) with the amount of times you run into one on the floor depending on your scenery determines how much ammo you gain in the mission. I guess personally for you, you donʻt want to roll around the ground every once in a while to scavenge for the weaponʻs ammo, never mind, new weapons as it does seem comical as you said and less immersive. However there are always another weapon to pick up that is a resemblance to the weapon you recently used. Because to me, I think the point of the weapons in Halo games created by the Company is to always scavenge for weapons so you can get creative (Or generally just to survive) with your current situation. Example would be like Halo 3 ODST.

Overall, it never matters to me how much ammo you get in the game for me. Its just the matter if it overtakes the reason to ever switch weapons. And in my opinion, I think how it is now is fine... minus the loadouts as I stated in the thread.
Halo’s never really had a problem with predetermined starting weapons in the campaign imo, save for the council chamber in Gravemind. Usually everything makes sense in story context but it’s still pretty balanced (again, excluding Gravemind), and picking up dropped weapons has always been the method of customization. Player-created loadouts were one of the weaker aspects of Halo 4’s mp to me, and I don’t think it’d be something the campaign would benefit from either.