Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Can he do it?

OP SergeantCaleb56

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Will the master chief have to put and end to Cortana? Can the master chief put and end to Cortana? If you remember, in halo 3 campaign when sergeant Johnson dies he said, "Don't let her go." Right before he dies. Will he keep that promise, or try to take down Cortana for good?
I think he can, all the Master Chief saga we've been playing since the first game is about completing the mission, getting the job done whatever the cost. Now his best friend is the antagonist to the Chief's belief. I'm thinking it is completely out of character to him to choose Cortana and let the humanity face the consequences.
I think he can, all the Master Chief saga we've been playing since the first game is about completing the mission, getting the job done whatever the cost. Now his best friend is the antagonist to the Chief's belief. I'm thinking it is completely out of character to him to choose Cortana and let the humanity face the consequences.
She tried to break him in Halo 5 too. I bet he will put it all on the line in the next game.

I think he's capable of taking her out. No telling how it will happen, but it will probably be an emotional scene similar to the end of Halo 4.
I am 100% with this. It would be strange for the Chief to not 'Complete the mission'. It will either be the death of him, or he'll go into hiding, but that mission will be completed.
I think that Chief won’t be able to. In H4/5 343 has been trying to show that Chief is human under all that armor, and I think the ultimate embodiment of this would to be a moment where Chief’s sense of duty and loyalty to the UNSC is overpowered by human empathy and love
I think that Chief won’t be able to. In H4/5 343 has been trying to show that Chief is human under all that armor, and I think the ultimate embodiment of this would to be a moment where Chief’s sense of duty and loyalty to the UNSC is overpowered by human empathy and love
I love this idea and really hope you're right. I've just posted on another feed that John and Cortana is one of gaming's greatest love stories, I'd hate to see it end badly :(
I don't think it will even come down to it.
I think he can could but he wouldn't because he and Cortana are quite close.
I know we all try to forget Halo 5 but lets not forget that Chief has put Cortana ahead of duty and his direct orders before, it isn't unprecedented. MC going AWOL to save Cortana is one of my favourite things that has happened in the story so far :)
My problem with Chief killing Cortana would destroy the purposes of Halo 4/5. In the last two games 343 has tried very hard to show us a more human side of John, and in 4 we saw how heartbroken he was over Cortana's death, and in 5 we saw Chief abandon his duty and loyalty to the UNSC to save Cortana. If he just went back to being a soulless, UNSC-obeying war machine in Infinite and killed Cortana out of duty, it would destroy the purposes of Halo 4 and 5. Instead, if his love for Cortana prevented him from doing so, and if 343 extended the John-Cortana love story, it would be expanding on the 4/5 story, and showing us how John is human
Closeness has its limits. She killed numerous people, manipulated him, and gave a villainous speech to the galaxy saying follower her or else.

I can buy perhaps a moment of hesitation given their history, but if Cortana was in her right mind she’d beg Chief to end her if she knew what she’d end up doing.
Closeness has its limits. She killed numerous people, manipulated him, and gave a villainous speech to the galaxy saying follower her or else.

I can buy perhaps a moment of hesitation given their history, but if Cortana was in her right mind she’d beg Chief to end her if she knew what she’d end up doing.
Maybe Cortana realizes what she’s done, and the horrendous crimes she’s committed, and begs John to kill her, but John tells her that he believes she can be saved and forgiven

Maybe Cortana realizes what she’s done, and the horrendous crimes she’s committed, and begs John to kill her, but John tells her that he believes she can be saved and forgiven
I can see Cortana doing that as a trick to mess with Chief given her actions in Halo 5. She was unapologetic about her actions in that game.
Also, if they do kill Cortana, it cannot be at John’s hand. People think that bringing Cortana back in Halo 5 ruined the ending of 4, but Chief killing Cortana would destroy the purpose of both 4 and 5. 4 was always a story about saving Cortana, and 5 was a story about Chief going to extreme lengths to save her, even abandoning his duty and loyalty to the UNSC to do so. Both games showed just how much Chief cared and loved Cortana, and both games, for the first time, showed us the human, loving side of Chief, and him discovering his humanity. If 343 had Chief kill Cortana, it would just be a return to the old, war-machine Chief, infinitely loyal to the UNSC, valuing duty above all else
Well Cortona is already dressed for a funeral.

Definitely agree that there are limits. I think Chief spent all of H5's campaign giving Cortana the benefit of the doubt. He kept denying to himself and others that she was beyond saving. Then toward the end, during "The Breaking", he finally spits back at her and asks her how many people she killed summoning her guardians. Idk if I'm pointing out the obvious or something here, but I view the name "The Breaking" as Chief's breaking point with Cortana. He's no longer her friend and she's no longer his companion.

So I too think that, if there is a final direct confrontation between them, Chief will hesitate at first given their history. Then Cortana will attempt to take advantage of that hesitation. But somehow Chief will overcome that advantage and take her out. I'd also find it fitting if the death was almost anti-climatic. It would bring some greater meaning to her line in H3 "this is the way the world ends". The rest of the quote is not with a bang, but with a whimper. For her to go out with an anti-climatic whimper would be very intriguing to me.

[CUT > and I agree Btw, but I wanted to add an idea about the second part! -ADE]So I too think that, if there is a final direct confrontation between them, Chief will hesitate at first given their history. Then Cortana will attempt to take advantage of that hesitation. But somehow Chief will overcome that advantage and take her out. I'd also find it fitting if the death was almost anti-climatic. It would bring some greater meaning to her line in H3 "this is the way the world ends". The rest of the quote is not with a bang, but with a whimper. For her to go out with an anti-climatic whimper would be very intriguing to me.
I would be more interested to see the opposite actually! It's kinda the same structure, but Cortana in this version would regain her humanity for a moment, even if it's only at the end:

Chief fights off the last defence line and reaches the core where Cortana's mind is stored. Our Spartan than remembers Johnson's last words: "never let her go" and says out loud "I never did" denouncing her. She isn't the real Cortana, not anymore at least. In this moment however our antagonist had the chance to stop him, but she let him shoot anyway. In her mind it's an act of redemption, even though our Spartan will never know.

Cortana dies (this time for real and forever - until the reboot it prequel), we get sad Chief for a few seconds and than the real mastermind behind this whole mess makes an appearance. Black lines. End of mission.
If he absolutely has to he can, but if there's even a slim chance he can bring her back he will.
Judging by the newest Infinite trailer, I'm thinking "capture" is kind of the route he's going to take with her instead of kill. But could he, if it came to it? Well I'm torn on this because on the one hand, it's Chief, and he knows what needs to be done. On the other hand, I think about their final meeting in Halo 5, and how even though he knew she was attempting to manipulate him, knew how many people she had caused the death of by awakening the Guardians, and even called her on both, he still tried to get her to come home with them. So I feel like he'd still much rather not. Or that could have been there last straw, who knows
Judging by the newest Infinite trailer, I'm thinking "capture" is kind of the route he's going to take with her instead of kill. But could he, if it came to it? Well I'm torn on this because on the one hand, it's Chief, and he knows what needs to be done. On the other hand, I think about their final meeting in Halo 5, and how even though he knew she was attempting to manipulate him, knew how many people she had caused the death of by awakening the Guardians, and even called her on both, he still tried to get her to come home with them. So I feel like he'd still much rather not. Or that could have been there last straw, who knows
I know man, still don't Know.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2