Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Can We Get An Energy Katana?

OP A Sword Elite

Hey guys, not sure if I already made a forum post about this, it has been a while since I was last on here.

I would like to see a reversed engineered energy sword in the form of a Katana. In warzone, we have energy bayonets, so I think it would make at least partial sense that humans, or preferably the UNSC, would have made a plasma battery blade in the shape of a Katana, with functions similar to that of the energy swords.
It would also be a nice excuse to bring hayabusa back.

If you have any thoughts or opinions, please feel free to post them in the comments below!

EDIT:

I read some pretty good points in the comments. The one that sticks out to me the most is what would the purpose of this sword be?
This is all based on opinion, so expect nothing factual.
The key to this would be to set it far from the energy sword. It will be a similar melee weapon, but the differences could be as follows:
I'm no expert, so go easy on me!!!
Unlike the energy sword, the katana would not increase movement speed, in fact it would slow you down slightly.
To compensate for slower movement speed, the range could be longer than an energy sword.
I know the lunge is already crazy with the energy sword, but hopefully the lunge distance will be nerfed in Infinite.

ALSO, there's a problem. people will camp around corners. Yes this is inevitably a problem with both swords. I don't know how to handle this problem to be honest.

Maybe there's a better option for setting the katana apart from the energy sword.
There's not much I can think of, sorry I'm not that creative. But I see nothing wrong with there being a katana as long as it's balanced, and different from the energy sword.
That would be really cool, it sounds like a really good idea, but if it has the exact same functionality as the energy sword then what is the purpose of having them both, do you understand? Every weapon in Halo has a purpose, you have the DMR a long range rifle, plasma pistol for a support weapon then you have the energy sword as a close range melee. If the katana is the exact same as the energy sword then there will be no reason for them both to be in the game.

If Infinite had a gamemode similar to warzone with reqs and stuff then it would make sense, or if it was added to Halo 5, but something like this just wouldn't fit into the weapon sandbox.

Never fear though, when Halo 3 is added to MCC PC I guarantee that someone will mod the katana so that it can be used.
Every weapon in Halo has a purpose, you have the DMR a long range rifle, plasma pistol for a support weapon then you have the energy sword as a close range melee.
Ah yes, like the halo 5 BR, which purpose is to lose fights against pistols and DMR’s.
If such weapon would be added, I dont think it should have any reverse engineering lore behind it as swords are not really part of modern or Halo like battlefield, even the swords carried by elites are part of their status & culture.
And why katana exactly? it takes 2 hand to utilize properly, it doesn't guard hands, it's a one bladed slashing weapon meant for techniques that take time to train, time which could be used to learn more modern skills.
I could see use for small blade in Halo, though in rare occasions even in that case, small blade is easy to handle, it's easy to carry, it just goes better as last resort if guns don't do the job, or as part of stealth.

If long energy weapon were made from lore perspective, which is a really, really long shot, then the shape should be designed for properties of energy weapon, which definitely wouldn't be a katana shape, I can say that much already.

And just think of the person carrying it, having used time to master it, others have become explosive experts, pilots, engineers, marksmen, medics & this guy? They have their one in a million chance they get to utilize their skillsets on situation where it works better than all the other modern killing technology or even a simple blade, and for what exactly?

And not yet even mentioning UNSC pouring their resources to make these blades, I doubt a high tech power source alone wont come cheap & could be utilized better on so many other pieces of equipment.
Lange wrote:
Every weapon in Halo has a purpose, you have the DMR a long range rifle, plasma pistol for a support weapon then you have the energy sword as a close range melee.
Ah yes, like the halo 5 BR, which purpose is to lose fights against pistols and DMR’s.
The purpose of the BR (in my eyes) is a medium range precision weapon. (But this is not the point of the post so try to keep it on topic)
I've wanted a proper UNSC melee weapon since H3. Elites have the energy sword, Brutes have the hammer, UNSC needs one. It wouldn't make sense but I think it'd be cool if your katana was made of a metal and then just the cutting part would have a plasma edge, just for the looks lol
I don't see the point in having a katana in Halo at all, I'm sorry. Not every race needs to have a melee weapon. The UNSC has knifes when they need them as we've seen. To me it would look pretty weird for UNSC troops going into battle with energy swords lol

Halo needs less weapons in the sandbox, not more. We already have too many useless weapons in Halo in my opinion.

If I were the UNSC, I wouldn't be focusing on energy melee weapons. I would be using that tech for shields and making energy projectile weapons. I think the OP likes star wars a lot lol 😉 (which is fine btw as it's great)
Rather than add an “energy katana” to the mix, I’d like to see 343 expand and improve on existing UNSC melee weaponry: the combat knife. Currently the combat knife is simply made of a extremely durable material, nothing really special about it. It’d be cool if they expanded on the lore for the combat knife, giving it futuristic properties that set it apart from modern knives. High-frequency blades like those in the Metal Gear series would be an interesting update to the combat knife. They could upgrade the lore of the knives without adding unnecessary complexity to the gameplay formula. I think seeing the knives used almost exclusively in assassinations is fine.
Lange wrote:
The purpose of the BR (in my eyes) is a medium range precision weapon. (But this is not the point of the post so try to keep it on topic)
Dude... my point is supporting your argument. And it is the point of the post, because we’re discussing wether or not an “energy katana” has a place in infinites arsenal.

The halo 5 BR is SUPPOSED to be a mid range precision weapon that falls between the pistol and DMR, but due to weapon balancing it doesn’t work well. It’s lost it’s PURPOSE. This is the best example I can think of. A gun that’s lost it’s purpose and is now obsolete, which the community is very vocal about.

If an energy katana was added and fell in between let’s say an energy sword and gravity hammer, and was worse than both, it would be the same issue.
As much as it would be cool to have one, the fact is that it would make zero sense in the lore of Halo in my opinion.
sería interesante verlo
I'd say if we were ever to get another melee weapon in the game, it should be the knife. We've always seen the knife in animations and in the assassinations, but not actually use it in our hands, in first person. The closest we've gone to using an actual knife in halo (Not via assassinations. I'm also excluding the energy sword in case anyone decides to say anything) is by modding, and even then it doesn't feel quite right. Because you know, no one ever said modding was easy.
What if it was the same design as Halo 3's katana, but with the energy sword's effects. It could behave like the energy sword with the thrust/zoom attack, but be less accurate, like the reticle is a thin vertical line instead of a circle like the energy sword.