Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Can we kill marines, playing as the covenant?

OP Philmagill P117

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
CBngVegas wrote:
i dont really care either way, as long as having other playable species makes sense and is well thought out. i would hate to see playable elites as a big selling point only to have the combat for them be lacking
Yeah, if it was implemented but done poorly it would upset people even more than if they just left it out.
This. After ODST Droped I was wanting a Covantent spin off with killable humans.
I don't really recall killing humans in gameplay as the playable character (before 343i warzone & excluding the corrupt NMPD officer in Halo 3: ODST) in a way that they were meant to be shot.

At most Halo 2 implied it with marines not responding to Johnson when he & Miranda were retrieving the icon.

As to bringing killable humans as hostile forces, I don't really see what it would add in a way of gameplay, big part of the military based games available have humans as hostiles which has become rather boring concept (gameplay wise) given usually humans are the weak enemies with weakness to every technology and weakpoint is always head. Not saying humans would be only such enemy in Halo universe but that wouldn't be really counterargument in favor of adding humans as yet another such foe.

As such humans would be faction of little variety in infantry, at most it would be like usual gameplay having just grunts & occasional ranged elite as infantry, I dont really see that as fun concept.

Storywise there wouldn't really be as many chances to portray proper combat where usual humans would produce a threat given their usual weapons dont work that well against shields and big part of covenant species campaign against the humans is large ship combat and glassing.
In Halo 2 there were many interesting battles between groups, such as killing the heretics as the Arbiter and more interestingly killing marines. The cut scenes showed the simplicity and limited size of the protagonists, which I also liked a lot. Miranda Keyes was the leader, Sgt. Johnson was behind her in power and there was Master Chief and the Arbiter. Quite simple in reality. Anyway, I would like more of these creative combat scenarios were we are able to fight against humanity rather then fight as humanity, in some mission of course.
I think what you're trying to say is bring back multi-faction battles, and I agree wholeheartedly. Also that it should be possible to face enemy marines occasionally, like the marines on Sacred Icon and the rogue cop in ODST. It must be stressed that collateral damage (as seen in the levels Exodus and Composer) and 1 shot kill (H3/ODST/Reach NPCs) is undesirable in a Halo game. Sometimes the player might kill a NPC by accident (caught in the crossfire). There are better ways to punish betrayal, such as HCE's Meg easter egg or by simply making human weapons do more damage to Chief (as in the Halo trilogy).

In HCE/H2, there were at least 3 teams operating on the same map at one moment: Covies (heretics, separatists, loyalists), Flood, Sentinels, and UNSC. In H3, you could have that situation in the third tower escape if you skipped all the battles and deployed both Auto-Turrets. ODST completely excluded these scenarios, although they teased it with Elite corpses.

In H4, the Covie remnant and Prometheans allied with each other way too early in the game and I think H4 suffered because of it (in addition to the Prometheans being uninteresting). At least on the level Forerunner, you could do a glitch to have Promethean Knights fight each other with a little oob manipulation (the ones cheering on top of the map can be backsmacked off the cliffs, the Watcher which is deployed below can revive them). In H5, the Covie remnant literally had no reason to be the enemy on the last mission. Gamecheat13 has a neat mod showing what it could have looked like.
Quarantine Zone.
What part of Quarantine Zone? Because the whole time in that level, you're following behind Miranda and Johnson and you only encounter them at the end of the level in a cutscene.
If you're referring to the human vehicles you encounter in the level, those aren't driven by humans, but by Flood.
@Philmagill P117: Definitely not my intention to devalue your opinion. I also didn't mean to express any personal disdain for playable Elites, and I don't think I expressly did in any of my verbiage on my original post.

What I said was that I don't believe it's a feature the majority of Halo players care about much. Pointing out that forum users here and YouTubers have made repeated pleas for playable Elites to come back doesn't really work as a counter argument for my claim that it's a vocal minority of the Halo fan base that passionately cares about this feature- the community here and that has formed around the Halo-Tubers makes up a pretty small percentage of players overall. I didn't do a great job of acknowledging this, but I will here- to clarify, the percentage of players to whom playable Elites is a big deal is a much larger chunk of the population of the Waypoint forums and YouTube Halo community than it is of the overall Halo player base. That's fair enough.

Seriously meant no disrespect to your opinion or the concept of playable Elites, in the slightest. I agree the point of Waypoint is to be vocal, but it's also to be communicative with other fans. I think healthy debate on these types of issues here is appropriate and necessary for the devs to see, if indeed they do pay much attention to the forums at all. All I was meaning to do with my original post was to bring up a countervailing perspective to your topic, and I sincerely apologize if I came across as inflammatory or flippant towards your perspective in the process.

I would implore everyone here on the forums to keep discussion pointed at the ideas a post is putting forward instead of assuming a contrary opinion is a personal attack. Of course, I understand that all too often there are inappropriate personal attacks, but it's just really unproductive to have to constantly reinforce the fact that you're trying to be respectful while having an argument in every other response you post.
Chimera30 wrote:
more interestingly killing marines.
When do you kill Marines as Arbiter in Halo 2?
Well it would have happen in the quarantine mission if the flood didn't kill the first group of marines that you were able to see when they were fighting the flood
In Halo 2 there were many interesting battles between groups, such as killing the heretics as the Arbiter and more interestingly killing marines. The cut scenes showed the simplicity and limited size of the protagonists, which I also liked a lot. Miranda Keyes was the leader, Sgt. Johnson was behind her in power and there was Master Chief and the Arbiter. Quite simple in reality. Anyway, I would like more of these creative combat scenarios were we are able to fight against humanity rather then fight as humanity, in some mission of course.
Sounds like something I had in mind of a multiplayer game mode for infinite n halo 5 some people on my friends list sound like a really juicy idea A IDEA FOR EITHER HALO 5 OR INFINITE OR BOTH.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not discuss/share modifying or hacking content on an Xbox console or PC.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Chimera30 wrote:
Quarantine Zone.
What part of Quarantine Zone? Because the whole time in that level, you're following behind Miranda and Johnson and you only encounter them at the end of the level in a cutscene.
If you're referring to the human vehicles you encounter in the level, those aren't driven by humans, but by Flood.
If your memories are 100% correct then I must have experienced a rare event. I am certain that I have killed marines using turrets and they have even detected me as an enemy. I guess you all weren't fast enough to reach them, or maybe your memory may be faltering? Or am I wrong?
I would love to see more about the covenant but i disagree about miranes. I love miranes and they're funny.
AMA4N wrote:
I would love to see more about the covenant but i disagree about miranes. I love miranes and they're funny.
Dude, killing the guys you love makes Halo more interesting! In Halo 2 you are forced to kill the heretics and their kind leader Sesa 'Refumee. I'm not saying every mission in Halo Infinite should involve Marine-killing. I think some of you are misinterpreting my ideas. I'm also not saying Halo should into a game where you just kill humans.
Chimera30 wrote:
more interestingly killing marines.
When do you kill Marines as Arbiter in Halo 2?
My question exactly. Technically you CAN kill marines as Arbiter in H2. And, if you find them, they WILL attack you. The problem is, you never encounter them unless you go very far out of your way to get to them.
Chimera30 wrote:
Quarantine Zone.
What part of Quarantine Zone? Because the whole time in that level, you're following behind Miranda and Johnson and you only encounter them at the end of the level in a cutscene.
If you're referring to the human vehicles you encounter in the level, those aren't driven by humans, but by Flood.
If your memories are 100% correct then I must have experienced a rare event. I am certain that I have killed marines using turrets and they have even detected me as an enemy. I guess you all weren't fast enough to reach them, or maybe your memory may be faltering? Or am I wrong?
No, those were flood, the only marines you encounter in that set of levels are the marines in the hallway of Sacred Icon, and even then, they are killed by Flood before you reach them. You have to grenade jump across a chasm to get to them before they are killed.
Chimera30 wrote:
Quarantine Zone.
What part of Quarantine Zone? Because the whole time in that level, you're following behind Miranda and Johnson and you only encounter them at the end of the level in a cutscene.
If you're referring to the human vehicles you encounter in the level, those aren't driven by humans, but by Flood.
If your memories are 100% correct then I must have experienced a rare event. I am certain that I have killed marines using turrets and they have even detected me as an enemy. I guess you all weren't fast enough to reach them, or maybe your memory may be faltering? Or am I wrong?
No, those were flood, the only marines you encounter in that set of levels are the marines in the hallway of Sacred Icon, and even then, they are killed by Flood before you reach them. You have to grenade jump across a chasm to get to them before they are killed.
Well I'm saying I killed them, maybe the game was bugged. In fact, I'm playing Quarantine Zone, I will tell you my findings. If I can't recreate what happened, it only further proves that fighting Marines is different and has never been done.
Chimera30 wrote:
Quarantine Zone.
What part of Quarantine Zone? Because the whole time in that level, you're following behind Miranda and Johnson and you only encounter them at the end of the level in a cutscene.
If you're referring to the human vehicles you encounter in the level, those aren't driven by humans, but by Flood.
If your memories are 100% correct then I must have experienced a rare event. I am certain that I have killed marines using turrets and they have even detected me as an enemy. I guess you all weren't fast enough to reach them, or maybe your memory may be faltering? Or am I wrong?
No, those were flood, the only marines you encounter in that set of levels are the marines in the hallway of Sacred Icon, and even then, they are killed by Flood before you reach them. You have to grenade jump across a chasm to get to them before they are killed.
Please don't post multiple time in a row. If you need to add more information or quote other users, you can edit your last post. Thanks
Chimera30 wrote:
Quarantine Zone.
What part of Quarantine Zone? Because the whole time in that level, you're following behind Miranda and Johnson and you only encounter them at the end of the level in a cutscene.
If you're referring to the human vehicles you encounter in the level, those aren't driven by humans, but by Flood.
If your memories are 100% correct then I must have experienced a rare event. I am certain that I have killed marines using turrets and they have even detected me as an enemy. I guess you all weren't fast enough to reach them, or maybe your memory may be faltering? Or am I wrong?
No, those were flood, the only marines you encounter in that set of levels are the marines in the hallway of Sacred Icon, and even then, they are killed by Flood before you reach them. You have to grenade jump across a chasm to get to them before they are killed.
Please don't post multiple time in a row. If you need to add more information or quote other users, you can edit your last post. Thanks
Who? Me?
Chimera30 wrote:
Quarantine Zone.
What part of Quarantine Zone? Because the whole time in that level, you're following behind Miranda and Johnson and you only encounter them at the end of the level in a cutscene.
If you're referring to the human vehicles you encounter in the level, those aren't driven by humans, but by Flood.
If your memories are 100% correct then I must have experienced a rare event. I am certain that I have killed marines using turrets and they have even detected me as an enemy. I guess you all weren't fast enough to reach them, or maybe your memory may be faltering? Or am I wrong?
No, those were flood, the only marines you encounter in that set of levels are the marines in the hallway of Sacred Icon, and even then, they are killed by Flood before you reach them. You have to grenade jump across a chasm to get to them before they are killed.
Please don't post multiple time in a row. If you need to add more information or quote other users, you can edit your last post. Thanks
Who? Me?
Image result for yes
Well, you and everyone else
I don't get the appeal. There are plenty of games where you can go and kill other Humans. Halo has mostly been about Humanity fighting to survive against overwhelming enemies. Especially now that with Halo 6 it appears that its going to be us (being living beings) vs Cortana and the AIs. Maybe some "flashback" mission with a captured AI or something and you can "see" what it does by playing as it killing humans, but again, why?
In Halo 2 there were many interesting battles between groups, such as killing the heretics as the Arbiter and more interestingly killing marines. The cut scenes showed the simplicity and limited size of the protagonists, which I also liked a lot. Miranda Keyes was the leader, Sgt. Johnson was behind her in power and there was Master Chief and the Arbiter. Quite simple in reality. Anyway, I would like more of these creative combat scenarios were we are able to fight against humanity rather then fight as humanity, in some mission of course.
Amazing idea!
They could do something like RAAM's missions in "Gears of War 3 - RAAM's Shadow DLC", but preferably with some character that is NOT that much powerful :)
"Didact's Shadow"...
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3