OP Spartan21097

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
Echo p q wrote:
It looks -Yoinking!- great, I really don't see why some people are upset over this. Chief is supposed to be a super soldier, and not some little lightweight Instagram model.
The bulk is fine, but i think the gap between the upper arm guard and chestplate should be a little bit bigger, because now it looks like his range of movement is impared.
my previous post has an ajusted image.
That's because he is not standing up straight in this picture.

Also, losing some range of movement is unavoidable in effective realistic armor design. Because you want to keep the potential weak spots as few and as small as possible. What matters is that the soldier can still fight effectively while wearing the armor. Soldiers does not need to be able to do backflips etc, that's just a bonus.
mjolnir armor is designed in overlapping layers and supposed to not hinder the spartans movement, as their speed is a far better defense than their armor.
medieval knights armor barely limits the range of movement.
I think the achieved gain in mobility outweighs the small loss in defense.
the limit of once movability should not be reach by a slight slouch.
the biceps guard would press against the chestplate without the small added niche, making it imposible to cross your arms before your chest.
Echo p q wrote:
Echo p q wrote:
It looks -Yoinking!- great, I really don't see why some people are upset over this. Chief is supposed to be a super soldier, and not some little lightweight Instagram model.
The bulk is fine, but i think the gap between the upper arm guard and chestplate should be a little bit bigger, because now it looks like his range of movement is impared.

Also, losing some range of movement is unavoidable in effective realistic armor design. Because you want to keep the potential weak spots as few and as small as possible. What matters is that the soldier can still fight effectively while wearing the armor. Soldiers does not need to be able to do backflips etc, that's just a bonus.
mjolnir armor is designed in overlapping layers and supposed to not hinder the spartans movement, as their speed is a far better defense than their armor.
the biceps guard would press against the chestplate without the small added niche, making it imposible to cross your arms before your chest.
Well you obviously have never worn any medieval armor if you believe that's the case. It's true that Hollywood greatly exaggerate the limitations of armor but it's not like you got an unhindered full range of motion.

Why do Spartans wear so much armor then? Would it not be more practical to just wear lightweight acceleration suits if that was the case? The designer obviously decided that all around protection was more important.

That doesn't look impossible at all to me if the suit is perfectly fitted to Chiefs body.
Echo p q wrote:
Echo p q wrote:

Well you obviously have never worn any medieval armor if you believe that's the case. It's true that Hollywood greatly exaggerate the limitations of armor but it's not like you got an unhindered full range of motion.

Why do Spartans wear so much armor then? Would it not be more practical to just wear lightweight acceleration suits if that was the case? The designer obviously decided that all around protection was more important.

That doesn't look impossible at all to me if the suit is perfectly fitted to Chiefs body.
on medieval armor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzTwBQniLScchief armor is indeed perfectly fitted. it is canon for mjolnir armors to be perfectly fitted.
but the problem is not the fitting, but the bulk of some exterior parts.

the bulk of the biceps guard and chest plate prevent proper arm movement. this would greatly diminish combat effectiveness.
this is why i included a small niche in the chest plate for the biceps plate so it doesn't get in the way.

mjolnir is predominantly build for speed and strenght. defense is a second thought ( although some defense is necessary as you can't evade everything all the time)
this is the reason the mark 4 was slimmed down from the mark 3.
the gen 2 suits overdid it with the lack of armor however. both too much armor and too little armor for speed can suffer from diminishing returns.
some tiny weak spots are preverable to not being able to move out of harms reach in the first place.
armor is there for when harm is nearly unavoidable.
That's just the armour design. It's heavily based of Chief's Mk IV armour from Halo Legends: The Package, and Forward Unto Dawn. It's unclear, as of yet, whether this is that same armour or not, just updated to suit modern needs.
Everyone seems to be thrown off by the big white '117' on his armour. Aside from that, it looks nothing like the FUD/Package armour. It's much more akin to the classic Halo 2 and 3 armour.
Here. Look at these:
The only part of the Infinite armour that looks like Halo 2 and 3 is the helmet. The chest, shoulders, arms, and legs, all look like the Mk IV.
He does seem a lot bulkier than he was in Halo 2 and 3. I would prefer if he was skinnier looking but it is definitely an improvement from Halo 4 and 5.
Echo p q wrote:
Echo p q wrote:
Echo p q wrote:

on medieval armor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzTwBQniLSc

chief armor is indeed perfectly fitted. it is canon for mjolnir armors to be perfectly fitted.

the bulk of the biceps guard and chest plate prevent proper arm movement. this would greatly diminish combat effectiveness.
this is why i included a small niche in the chest plate for the biceps plate so it doesn't get in the way.

mjolnir is predominantly build for speed and strenght. defense is a second thought ( although some defense is necessary as you can't evade everything all the time)
the gen 2 suits overdid it with the lack of armor however. both too much armor and too little armor for speed can suffer from diminishing returns.
What those kind of videos does not show you however, is how the armor restricts the users range of motion. You can move around for sure, but it's not unhindered. They also use different armors for different showcases in this video. Some with huge weak points. Which of course gives you more mobility but less protection.

It's a lot more complicated than that. There's a huge difference between wearing tailored suit and a suit you buy from the rack in a store.

Those "exterior parts" as you put it increase the armors thickness and therefore increases the protection.

I hear what you are saying and there's always a fine balance between mobility and protection. In this case the designer went for a more well protected suit at the expense of mobility. This does not mean that the design is bad, it only means that the suit was designed for better protection. It's a design decision.
BANGHART wrote:
It looks awful. What happened to tge model from last years e3??? Seriously wtf
You mean that model where you saw the thigh, forearm and helmet and literally nothing else? The model that is very likely what we saw in the new trailer?

The model looks great, don't get these complaints at all. Great update to his Halo 2/3 Mjolnir suit.
Echo p q wrote:
Echo p q wrote:
Echo p q wrote:

on medieval armor:

chief armor is indeed perfectly fitted. it is canon for mjolnir armors to be perfectly fitted.

What those kind of videos does not show you however, is how the armor restricts the users range of motion. You can move around for sure, but it's not unhindered. They also use different armors for different showcases in this video. Some with huge weak points. Which of course gives you more mobility but less protection.

It's a lot more complicated than that. There's a huge difference between wearing tailored suit and a suit you buy from the rack in a store.

Those "exterior parts" as you put it increase the armors thickness and therefore increases the protection.

I hear what you are saying and there's always a fine balance between mobility and protection. In this case the designer went for a more well protected suit at the expense of mobility. This does not mean that the design is bad, it only means that the suit was designed for better protection. It's a design decision.
indeed. my main point is that this nudge would make using weapons far less complicated, while the reduction in protection is negligable. So i think it would be a more efficient design.
Echo p q wrote:
Echo p q wrote:
Echo p q wrote:
Echo p q wrote:

on medieval armor:

indeed. my main point is that this nudge would make using weapons far less complicated, while the reduction in protection is negligable. So i think it would be a more efficient design.
Well it's impossible to say without knowing all of the parameters. And this is a video game in the end of the day, so real world limitations can be overlooked. And overall, the armor does look perfectly functional, depending on the materials used and the construction of course.
That's just the armour design. It's heavily based of Chief's Mk IV armour from Halo Legends: The Package, and Forward Unto Dawn. It's unclear, as of yet, whether this is that same armour or not, just updated to suit modern needs.
Everyone seems to be thrown off by the big white '117' on his armour. Aside from that, it looks nothing like the FUD/Package armour. It's much more akin to the classic Halo 2 and 3 armour.
Here. Look at these:
The only part of the Infinite armour that looks like Halo 2 and 3 is the helmet. The chest, shoulders, arms, and legs, all look like the Mk IV.
Sorry, but I can't see that at all. The chest, arms and legs all look more like the classic MJOLNIR Mark VI from 2 and 3 but with the pieces being bulkier and cleaner and in slightly different positions. The chest in particular is almost exactly like an enhanced version of Halo 3's. Not sure what you're on about at all.
Echo p q wrote:
Echo p q wrote:
Echo p q wrote:
Echo p q wrote:

on medieval armor:

Well it's impossible to say without knowing all of the parameters. And this is a video game in the end of the day, so real world limitations can be overlooked. And overall, the armor does look perfectly functional, depending on the materials used and the construction of course.
i have a spartan cosplay and the aformention niche and wider space between the different plates is what i needed to include to not impare my movement too much.
this is the basis for my thesis.
Echo p q wrote:
Echo p q wrote:
Echo p q wrote:
Echo p q wrote:
Echo p q wrote:

on medieval armor:

i have a spartan cosplay and the aformention niche and wider space between the different plates is what i needed to include to not impare my movement too much.
I do medieval reenactment. Do you have the exact measurements and are you using similar materials? How flexible is the undersuit materials in lore exactly, and which plates overlap etc etc? Every little detail is super important. Otherwise we can only guess. And since Mjölnir armor is designed by game developers, I doubt that they know exactly how they would design this armor for real life use. In game the armor only needs to look functional but it's really just pixels on a screen and lines of code.
Well after eating all those Doritos and drinking Mt Dew, he went into Hibernation until the release date.

On a serious note, I like it. He looks like a tank, an actual killing machine. Like Halo 4 Tankiness but with classic armor instead.
“Soon Halo’s reclamation will begin, but when it does, the weight of your denial will stay your feet, and you shall be left behind ”
Echo p q wrote:
Echo p q wrote:
Echo p q wrote:
Echo p q wrote:
Echo p q wrote:

on medieval armor:

I do medieval reenactment. Do you have the exact measurements and are you using similar materials? How flexible is the undersuit materials in lore exactly, and which plates overlap etc etc? Every little detail is super important. Otherwise we can only guess. And since Mjölnir armor is designed by game developers, I doubt that they know exactly how they would design this armor for real life use. In game the armor only needs to look functional but it's really just pixels on a screen and lines of code.
we can make educated guesses based on related concepts.

i think the undersuit is negligable in the dicussion. The plates are lorewise titanium composite material and rigid. with the form of the plates and their thickness, they would greatly limit the arms range of motion, if the master chief has a somewhat human anatomy and does not dislocate his shoulder to reach across his chest.
If the pectoral plates can move independendly, like in the mark 4, this would be a non issue.

another point of limited motion is the shoulder. if the arm is lifted sideways, the paldron would hit the torso armor. by moving the paldron downward (like in reach) or outward (like in halo 4/5) this is prevented, as mjolnir paldrons are atached rigidly.

the sides of the belt need to be raised and/or the leg armor lowered to allow for adequat leg mobility.

i know it is just a game, but it is sad to see easily avoidable errors in scifi

the diaphragm plate is moveable and can slide under the chest plate. all other plates are rigid in the mark 4, 5 and gen 2 (gen 2 lacks diaphragm plates, but has a diapragm bar and a small stomach plate)

the armor i've build uses the mjolnir mk 5 as a basis.
Echo p q wrote:
Echo p q wrote:
Echo p q wrote:
Echo p q wrote:
Echo p q wrote:
Echo p q wrote:

on medieval armor:

i think the undersuit is negligable in the dicussion. The plates are lorewise titanium composite material and rigid. with the form of the plates and their thickness, they would greatly limit the arms range of motion, if the master chief has a somewhat human anatomy and does not dislocate his shoulder to reach across his chest.
If the pectoral plates can move independendly, like in the mark 4, this would be a non issue.

another point of limited motion is the shoulder. if the arm is lifted sideways, the paldron would hit the torso armor. by moving the paldron downward (like in reach) or outward (like in halo 4/5) this is prevented, as mjolnir paldrons are atached rigidly.

the sides of the belt need to be raised and/or the leg armor lowered to allow for adequat leg mobility.

the diaphragm plate is moveable and can slide under the chest plate. all other plates are rigid in the mark 4, 5 and gen 2 (gen 2 lacks diaphragm plates, but has a diapragm bar and a small stomach plate)

Nothing is negligible. If the undersuit is limiting movement all by itself, then your range of motion is already hindered. So obstructions from the plates are not as relevant in the design decision. Chainmail worn under plate armor for example, can hinder arm movements if there is not enough loose/spare chain in the armpits for example. Since the mail can not move around freely under the cuirass.

I wonder if that's the case if Chief is standing up straight. Since his armor is locked down in the picture.

There's also the question if Chiefs chest-armor/cuirass is partially resting on his shoulders. Because then he can lift it up with his shoulders when moving around. Separately from the other armor pieces.

Sweet!
The armor is beautiful but I prefer a bit darker green
Echo p q wrote:
Echo p q wrote:
Echo p q wrote:
Echo p q wrote:
Echo p q wrote:
Echo p q wrote:

on medieval armor:

Nothing is negligible. If the undersuit is limiting movement all by itself, then your range of motion is already hindered. So obstructions from the plates are not as relevant in the design decision. Chainmail worn under plate armor for example, can hinder arm movements if there is not enough loose/spare chain in the armpits for example. Since the mail can not move around freely under the cuirass.

I wonder if that's the case if Chief is standing up straight. Since his armor is locked down in the picture.

There's also the question if Chiefs chest-armor/cuirass is partially resting on his shoulders. Because then he can lift it up with his shoulders when moving around. Separately from the other armor pieces.

Sweet!
the undersuit is powered and moves with the user, so it feels like a second skin.
the shoulders seem to be hindered in their motion a bit too. i like the way the shoulder straps work in the mk 4, there they look like they can move independently.
in different pictures the problem is still present: the chest and back armor is to wide
and the thigh armor reaches to high up.

in chief's new armor the plates seem to be imbeded in the undersuit, if there was a small separation between the suit and outer plating ( like in reach) the shoulder could move underneath the plate
its only the trailer.. and he's a spartan 2, so obviously he's going to look huge next to a regular human being who is starving in an adrift pelican. its all about proportions
Echo p q wrote:
Echo p q wrote:
Echo p q wrote:
Echo p q wrote:
Echo p q wrote:
Echo p q wrote:
Echo p q wrote:

on medieval armor:

the undersuit is powered and moves with the user, so it feels like a second skin.
the shoulders seem to be hindered in their motion a bit too. i like the way the shoulder straps work in the mk 4, there they look like they can move independently.
in different pictures the problem is still present: the chest and back armor is to wide
and the thigh armor reaches to high up.

in chief's new armor the plates seem to be imbeded in the undersuit, if there was a small separation between the suit and outer plating ( like in reach) the shoulder could move underneath the plate
Well in that case it has to be able to move independent under the plate armor. Otherwise there is not enough material to support the movement.

The shoulders look absolutely fine. There's just enough space between the plates. Reach had way to large a gap between the plates to be effective, same as Halo 4 & 5.

What's the point of wearing heavy armor if your enemy can easily shoot you in areas where you are less protected? They may as well have only worn the undersuit for protection in those designs.

The Halo Infinite suit looks completely functional to me, and a much better design than the previous versions. I suppose that we will just have to agree to disagree.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4