Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Chief’s Mark VI Armor as the default armor

OP FestivHunter

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
So in every BUNGIE game the Protagonist’s armor was the default multiplayer armor. In Halo 4,5 the default armor is Recruit, which I honestly don’t have a problem with, asides from that’s another thing 343 changed. Because Infinite is supposed to bring back Halo back, To fix what has been messed up. Does anyone want to see MK VI as the default? Or are you fine with Recruit? Or maybe a new default armor?
So in every BUNGIE game the Protagonist’s armor was the default multiplayer armor. In Halo 4,5 the default armor is Recruit, which I honestly don’t have a problem with, asides from that’s another thing 343 changed. Because Infinite is supposed to bring back Halo back, To fix what has been messed up. Does anyone want to see MK VI as the default? Or are you fine with Recruit? Or maybe a new default armor?
My guess is that Mark VII will be the new default. Wouldn't shock me if Mark VI was the default either though. Personally fine with both options. Hope Recruit is either redesigned,removed, or renamed. I like Recruit, but I don't want it to be just "Recruit" anymore if Mark VII/VI will be the new default. Just my opinion.
Yesss. I want thst as well. That should be basic armour...
Cobra J24 wrote:
My guess is that Mark VII will be the new default. Wouldn't shock me if Mark VI was the default either though. Personally fine with both options. Hope Recruit is either redesigned,removed, or renamed. I like Recruit, but I don't want it to be just "Recruit" anymore if Mark VII/VI will be the new default. Just my opinion.
It occurred to me that Mark VII may be the new default. It looks like a Mark V [B] variant honestly
Halo 4 and 5 multiplayer were canon, thats why Recruit armor was why it was. If Infinite multiplayer is canon, the default armor might be something other than Mk 7.
I think the new Mk VII (not Chief's) will be the default armour which I'm good with. Honestly Chief's is so cool this time around I want it to be an unlock lol
I think the new Mk VII (not Chief's) will be the default armour which I'm good with. Honestly Chief's is so cool this time around I want it to be an unlock lol
^This
I believe I've seen it confirmed that Mk VII will be the default MP armor. Not sure where I saw that or if I might have extrapolated it somehow, so I've got no citation to back that up.

Still, it makes sense that Mk VII will be the default for a few reasons. While Chief's armor was the standard MP look for Spartans in Bungie's games, it was also always the most current and mainline Mjolnir Variant available. By the time that Infinite occurs, the Mk VI is years out of date. The updated Gen 3 variant is likely good enough to hold its own, but the Mk VII is (presumably) purpose built to maximize compatibility and utility on the Gen 3 platform. Lore wise, it totally makes sense that Spartans would be issued the latest and greatest possible armor.

The tricky part is explaining how/why Chief isn't wearing the Mk VII. I'm in no way complaining that he isn't, but it's never been an established character trait for John to get attached to his armor; I don't see why he'd particularly care about being issued a new set (he's been going through this process the entire time Mjolnir has existed), and he's obviously a valuable enough asset for the UNSC to outfit him in the best available gear. It'd be nice if 343i can provide some lore snippet regarding this, either in Shadows of Reach, Infinite, or both.
I believe I've seen it confirmed that Mk VII will be the default MP armor. Not sure where I saw that or if I might have extrapolated it somehow, so I've got no citation to back that up.

Still, it makes sense that Mk VII will be the default for a few reasons. While Chief's armor was the standard MP look for Spartans in Bungie's games, it was also always the most current and mainline Mjolnir Variant available. By the time that Infinite occurs, the Mk VI is years out of date. The updated Gen 3 variant is likely good enough to hold its own, but the Mk VII is (presumably) purpose built to maximize compatibility and utility on the Gen 3 platform. Lore wise, it totally makes sense that Spartans would be issued the latest and greatest possible armor.

The tricky part is explaining how/why Chief isn't wearing the Mk VII. I'm in no way complaining that he isn't, but it's never been an established character trait for John to get attached to his armor; I don't see why he'd particularly care about being issued a new set (he's been going through this process the entire time Mjolnir has existed), and he's obviously a valuable enough asset for the UNSC to outfit him in the best available gear. It'd be nice if 343i can provide some lore snippet regarding this, either in Shadows of Reach, Infinite, or both.
I don’t know why they’d change his armor to MK VII
his MK VI is the iconic Master Chief Armour. They better not change it.
@FestivHunter, as a big fan of the Mk VI design and Chief's history in it, I agree and am glad they're not putting him in new armor.

I'm just making the case that I don't believe based on anything we've seen in the lore that Chief would have the same feelings of attachment to the Mk VI; it was, after all, just the latest in a long line of iterative upgrades to the Mjolnir platform he's been wearing since its inception. He didn't demonstrate any reluctance to replace his Mk V at the beginning of H2, and I don't believe there's any documentation of him hesitating to replace any of his armor prior to CE, either. I think John primarily views his armor as just another (albeit the most important) tool in his arsenal- it seems to me he's far more concerned with its utility value than its aesthetics or its sentimental value.

In fact, the only suit of armor I can imagine Chief being emotionally attached to at all is the Mk VI MOD, from H4-5 since it was basically designed by Cortana for him, personally, and he clearly won't be wearing that in Infinite.

In short-- As fans, we understandably love Chief in the Mk VI. As for Chief himself? He's never been shown to care much what armor he's using, as long as it's mission-ready. I'm just wondering how 343i is going to handle the fact that John's (by choice or assignment) wearing anything but the "latest and greatest," Mjolnir the UNSC has to offer. Unless his Gen 3 Mk VI really is the best armor available, which is possible, but would make the Mk VII a bit of a headscratcher.
Id rather see the Chief's near legendary armor be an unlockable. I like the idea of some armors being locked behind challenges-beat the game on legendary to earn the GEN 3 Mk VI.

GEN 3 Mk VII would be a cool default armor for sure, and possibly having certain GEN 2 armor suits be available would allow for limited customization from the start which would let players have a degree of personalization from the beginning.
I would like Chief’s default armor to be the starting armor. However, it looks like the Mk VII armor will be the default multiplayer armor. Not sure yet, so we’ll see.
I see a lot of people here are leaning towards or thinking MK. VII. I think it may be the default armor. But I’d still prefer to have MK. VI as the default.
I just hope it doesn't come down to the "bungie did it, so it should stay" mantra.
I just hope it doesn't come down to the "bungie did it, so it should stay" mantra.
True, we all want something new, but If you could choose, then what would you default armor be?
True, we all want something new, but If you could choose, then what would you default armor be?
Default, maybe like a redux of Air Assault, or Mk VII. Mk VII because it's that 'new new' and itd be a good starting armor- its sleek, non-obtrusive, and has familiar design to both the current Mk VI, and the older GEN 1 Mk Vb, and even the GEN 2 Decimate armor.
Air Assault because its a kind of an old favorite; the H4 and H5 iterations were a fresh take that looked awesome....in the Halo 5 Beta.

I just want the GEN 2 HUNTER armor-Locke's armor, for Multiplayer. Thays not too much to ask for...right? Can I has Hunter armor?
Cobra J24 wrote:
This brings up a good point. Bungie used to have lore descriptions for all of their armor sets and would put their in Universe name. I wish 343 would go back to that instead of oversimplifying the cosmetics. Each armor piece shouldn't just have the common jargon name for the armor pieces (i.e. Aethelon) but should include the technical designations for them as well.

While this may seem like a nitpick of a critique it does subtly blend the two halves of the Halo experience (Campaign and Multiplayer) together.
I think the default Spartan Armor should Have 2 Options at launch.
either chiefs Mark VI Gen 3 and Recruit (for those who like that low budget ODST/Commando Ripoff)
or give us the Mark VII and Mark VI gen 3 to choose from at launch.

Anyone remember Halo 3 in 2007?
we had atleast 3 Helmets to chose from, most of which were locked from Achievements
making armor super fun to get, like unlocking the rogue helmet, I remember that was not the easiest thing to do
or the recon helmet. But I did like reach's credit system, that way you unlocked armor, but bought what you want. (BUT NOT IN GODDANG REQs FOR THE LOVE OF HALO.)
I think the default Spartan Armor should Have 2 Options at launch.
either chiefs Mark VI Gen 3 and Recruit (for those who like that low budget ODST/Commando Ripoff)
or give us the Mark VII and Mark VI gen 3 to choose from at launch.

Anyone remember Halo 3 in 2007?
we had atleast 3 Helmets to chose from, most of which were locked from Achievements
making armor super fun to get, like unlocking the rogue helmet, I remember that was not the easiest thing to do
or the recon helmet. But I did like reach's credit system, that way you unlocked armor, but bought what you want. (BUT NOT IN GODDANG REQs FOR THE LOVE OF HALO.)
Yes I quite agree. I'd rather see either Halo 3's armor unlock system or the Halo Reach CR system which you can check out my Post about it.
Based on all the information we have, Mark VII is a solid candidate for base armor.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2