Chris Lee has left 343 industries

OP L30N 1337

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
Yes, another top manager left 343i. This is the time of Chris Lee, which took part in this franchise since Halo 4.
It's obvious that the game has been in serious troubles for a very long time and honestly I cannot see an happy ending for this game, at least not for the first years of the supposed GAAS service.
This made me think and ask you, should 343i follow a 10 years plan made by individuals which aren't part of the project anymore and with foundations that seems very fragile?
I'm looking forward to your opinions.

EDIT:

@JezCorden says this won't be the last big change in coming weeks. This is it boys.
Link to Bloomberg article/source I believe OP is referencing.

My take: it's not uncommon for game directors to leave late into production. I'm not sure if this really spells out anything disastrous but it's something we won't know until the game launches.

I don't see this as an inherently problematic sign of HI's quality or design.

L30N 1337 wrote:
This made me think and ask you, should 343i follow a 10 years plan made by individuals which aren't part of the project anymore and with foundations that seems very fragile?
I think having a 10 year plan is pretty ambitious. I'm not overly confident in that part of HI if I'm being honest. Unless they're expecting to cycle out the playerbase entirely over the course of the 10 years it doesn't seem possible.

What I'm confident is: 343 will make a multiplayer experience I'll totally enjoy for a very long time, and the product will be worth whatever I pay/invest into it.
LNG basically took the words right out of my mouth
LNG basically took the words right out of my mouth
I mean, for me this is far from an optimistic view as described below in the tweets: the vision is already set in stone, so if it'll be proved to be flawed, we'll have to retain these problems for a decade...
I think the only games that continue to profit and have a fan base years later are the ones that don't have a 10 year plan. They make a good game first then built off of that. CS:GO, Siege, No man sky, heck even Halo CE. All games that started off as a small project and built into a powerhouse. And most didn't even start off great. That's what I'd want for Halo Infinite. Just a great game then worry about what the next step is later. Do you want dlc stories? Cool, but make the base campaign have a beginning, middle, and end. I want a game I can play offline if the world goes to crap and we devolve back to the stone age with no internet. I would enjoy to play the last halo game without needing dlc lol. So to answer your question:
No, I don't think a 10 year plan is a good idea. I think post game launch should just be year to year at the most. Cuz you never know if your fan base is just going to dip for the next game. Or if some government official decides to ban your game, look at Australia or some european countries. They ban games all the time for ridiculous stuff. As a business plan, I don't think it's good to spend the cash for 10 years of planning the only be able to deliver on maybe 4. Not good for reputation, not good for fans, not good for business.
I think the only games that continue to profit and have a fan base years later are the ones that don't have a 10 year plan. They make a good game first then built off of that. CS:GO, Siege, No man sky, heck even Halo CE. All games that started off as a small project and built into a powerhouse. And most didn't even start off great. That's what I'd want for Halo Infinite. Just a great game then worry about what the next step is later. Do you want dlc stories? Cool, but make the base campaign have a beginning, middle, and end. I want a game I can play offline if the world goes to crap and we devolve back to the stone age with no internet. I would enjoy to play the last halo game without needing dlc lol. So to answer your question:
No, I don't think a 10 year plan is a good idea. I think post game launch should just be year to year at the most. Cuz you never know if your fan base is just going to dip for the next game. Or if some government official decides to ban your game, look at Australia or some european countries. They ban games all the time for ridiculous stuff. As a business plan, I don't think it's good to spend the cash for 10 years of planning the only be able to deliver on maybe 4. Not good for reputation, not good for fans, not good for business.
i agree with you for the first half
This is the 2nd top director to leave in 2 years, so while one departure late in a dev cycle isn't atypical, 2 departures in close sequence is indeed concerning. Note also that he resigned from the project, not that he was removed:

“I have stepped back from Infinite and I am looking at future opportunities,” Lee said. “I believe in the team and am confident they will deliver a great game and now is a good time for me to step away.”
This is the 2nd top director to leave in 2 years, so while one departure late in a dev cycle isn't atypical, 2 departures in close sequence is indeed concerning. Note also that he resigned:

“I have stepped back from Infinite and I am looking at future opportunities,” Lee said. “I believe in the team and am confident they will deliver a great game and now is a good time for me to step away.”
basically half of the guys who decided a 10 years plan for infinite are no longer part of it. AMAZING.
This is the 2nd top director to leave in 2 years, so while one departure late in a dev cycle isn't atypical, 2 departures in close sequence is indeed concerning. Note also that he resigned from the project, not that he was removed:

His departure quote makes me feel like he was fired.
L30N 1337 wrote:
This is the 2nd top director to leave in 2 years, so while one departure late in a dev cycle isn't atypical, 2 departures in close sequence is indeed concerning. Note also that he resigned:

basically half of the guys who decided a 10 years plan for infinite are no longer part of it. AMAZING.
So... you were anticipating no change in the director team for 15 years? Is that what you were expecting?
Usually no matter the circumstances, when directorial employees are moved in any way, all of the terms and public statements to be given are finalized behind closed doors, then the moving employee issues a pre-authorized statement intending to reduce the readers' perception that this move will rock the boat significantly. Retaining consumer confidence is goal #1 of the non-public process and scripted public statements. So we'll probably never know what the real full reason was.
L30N 1337 wrote:

So... you were anticipating no change in the director team for 15 years? Is that what you were expecting?
Incomplete question: "no change in the top director outside of industry norms" would be more accurate to the circumstances. As I said, top director departures occur, but 2 departures of top directors in 2 years plus the late-stage timing of the 2nd departure is inarguably atypical of a smooth and successful development process. I'm not saying this spells doom, but neither can you say this does not reasonably cause concern until proven otherwise.
L30N 1337 wrote:

I'm expecting a team able to make a project and follow a plan.
Chris Lee was one of the seniors of 343 and wanted to take a break? Good, leave after Halo 5 release, give space to other employers. You want to take part of the project as head of the studio? Be part, be accountable, do not wash your hands and leave the sinking ship because of your faults.

This is exactly how you make a star wars-like mess project.
Maybe this was one of if not the big changes at 343 that Brad Sams mentioned of recently.

Hm.

----------
Actually, this was the big change Brad Sams knew about. But as OP said, might be more. - https://twitter.com/bdsams/status/1321495917095198720

Interesting. I wonder what this means for Halo Infinite in the future, and how future DLCs will compare to the base game of Infinite.

Here's to Staten becoming the next one. Hopefully.
Again, it is the job of corporate and community managers to soften the perceived impact of this move. But that does not make them wrong in arguing this does not mean the worst for Infinite. And their positive outlook plays a significant part in influencing the fanbase towards sticking around for what can turn out to be a big success.
By the same token, it is a fact of business and development that this instance's events are objective causes of concern and that it's a reasonable response for fans to lower the estimated odds that this will still result positively.
We simply don't know enough at this point, in part due to the reduction in information received recently. But lack of information doesn't just justify "we don't know it's bad until we play it"; it also justifies "we don't know it's good until we play it". In the end, we love Halo, and we should hope for its success despite what's happening.
So who is the lead now, Staten?
I'm still cool with waiting as long as it takes.
Just not Duke Nukem Forever long. 😉
Who is the community manager at 343?
So who is the lead now, Staten?
Well. Staten did join to oversee the development alongside Chris so if I was a guessing person I would assume he would take over until they found a permanent replacement. Granted like many others posted already, apparently there's more news to come
The article mentions that Chris Lee was sidelined in favor of Joe Staten for a while now, so I wouldn't really read too much into his departure.
The creative team is falling like domino's , of course it's a disaster for infinite and the halo franchise it cant be spun any other way .
It supports what many have been saying for quite some time about 343i and the franchise direction since taking over .yes they will cobble something together for release they kind of have too but ,,,,, ,,,, whatever

Look it's going to be on gamepass I'll certainly have a look but I already know what to expect with the f2play model mp , over saturated toy / soft drink / chip marketing and general run of the mill 10 yearplan spiel and hype that just isn't justified for the 5 years of drought .,,,,,,, sigh ,, shrug . 343 were never really up to the mark for taking on the halo francishise , great at marketing , trans media , and sub contracting out bungie remasters , but game development really isn't there strong suite .
Well usually when a company brings some one else in that usually means some one else is on the way out so.... Infinite probably still needs quite a bit of tuning up before release. They have bold plans for infinite and if this game doesn't shine on release all those plans will probably not happen.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10