OP L30N 1337

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 7
  4. 8
  5. 9
  6. ...
  7. 10
My memory might be off, but didn't rockstar games purchase 343s outsource dev team?
I’m pretty sure you’re thinking of the crackdown 2(?) developers

to the OPs topic, Chris Lee wasn’t necessarily my favorite person ever and fans are trying to scape goat people but honestly the work for infinite is done. All the content is there. Lee was probably asked to resign and Joseph is just there to see infinite thru to launch and hopefully lead the next halo game.
(crazy to think this game should’ve launched in 10 days from now and the content is just now all there)

I full heartedly believe 343i is capable and they have major talent but lack clear direction and strong leadership. I hope the shakeup at 343i sends them in the right direction for the future of the franchise and they ditch the 10 year plan. I believe with a new vision from Staten 343i is going to be on the right track after this rough launch.
—— Also I don’t know why people are coming for Bonnie Ross. Her work for the halo franchise is admirable and with Staten they could really do something special for Halo
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post inappropriate content. This includes political content.*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
As someone who also works in software development, I'd like to respectfully say you're deflecting.

Our group was back on track with the normal work routine after roughly a week or two into the first lockdown, one month at the absolute latest.

If you're an IT company and your infrastructure is so bad that it cannot provide acceptable remote access (which it already should have without the pandemic) then that's your own fault, not the government's.
Especially when your name is "Microsoft", probably the IT company out of all of them. If that really were 343's excuse (I don't think they ever said it themselves?), it would be a pretty laughable one.
Celestis wrote:
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post inappropriate content. This includes political content.*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
As someone who also works in software development, I'd like to respectfully say you're deflecting.

Our group was back on track with the normal work routine after roughly a week or two into the first lockdown, one month at the absolute latest.

If you're an IT company and your infrastructure is so bad that it cannot provide acceptable remote access (which it already should have without the pandemic) then that's your own fault, not the government's.
Especially when your name is "Microsoft", probably the IT company out of all of them. If that really were 343's excuse (I don't think they ever said it themselves?), it would be a pretty laughable one.
I mean 343i tends to have bad excuses so.
Who's next to leave? Will we have an official announcement about this? The leader of 343i needs to give answers to the fans, this topic shouldn't be forgotten..
Zigma X wrote:
Who's next to leave? Will we have an official announcement about this? The leader of 343i needs to give answers to the fans, this topic shouldn't be forgotten..
the leaders of 343i answer to their bosses..not us.
Celestis wrote:
Spoiler:
Show

But the issue isn't Microsoft or 343's infrastructure. It's individual employees infrastructure that's causing the issues. That's the entire point to my post, and I honestly don't know what you're trying to argue here, because nothing you posted actually refutes any points I brought up :/

I.E. the forced homeschooling during working hours, lack of equipment, and lack of sufficient bandwidth.

And yea, my team overall was mostly back to the full swing if things in our remote setups within ~1 month too. Except for my team mates with younger kids. The remote school situation just makes it so hard for them to work efficiently.
In my view, it's somewhat expected to have delays given the whole remote work situation though I think the lack of communication is disconcerting. After all, I've lost track of how many times Cyberpunk's been delayed (hoping it releases before next year lol).

However, I was watching one Halo YouTuber (can't rmbr whom) and he had the same view as I did that this could be more due to the fact he failed to deliver in the sense the game was supposed to release, it got delayed. As the news articles still point out though, he is still an employee at Microsoft. Also, I think he's probably been sidelined since Joe Staten got involved.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post inappropriate content.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
I would say keep Political affiliations/talk away from the forums. I’d rather not have the discussion 🔒. Not sure if it is against the forum rules or not
BANGHART wrote:
Celestis wrote:
Spoiler:
Show

But the issue isn't Microsoft or 343's infrastructure. It's individual employees infrastructure that's causing the issues. That's the entire point to my post, and I honestly don't know what you're trying to argue here, because nothing you posted actually refutes any points I brought up :/

I.E. the forced homeschooling during working hours, lack of equipment, and lack of sufficient bandwidth.

And yea, my team overall was mostly back to the full swing if things in our remote setups within ~1 month too. Except for my team mates with younger kids. The remote school situation just makes it so hard for them to work efficiently.
Stating the fact (supported by vastly more measurable metrics, experienced scientists and officials, government bodies, and independent philanthropists) that the US government responded to the pandemic ineffectively is not a political statement. It is a factual statement, supported by measurable and recordable evidence. Discussing real-life-actual-facts is not political.

I'm not trying to talk politics, but I would like to talk facts. You did not refute any points about the difficulty of remote work and it's effect on employee productivity, which is the point of my post.

Spoiler:
Show
I would say keep Political affiliations/talk away from the forums. I’d rather not have the discussion 🔒. Not sure if it is against the forum rules or not
I agree. There are no smoking gun facts anymore (if there ever were) that solve differences. People argue their convictions and it goes nowhere.

In terms of working from home, it is a real issue. Every game studio is dealing with reduced productivity. Ironically, the demand for games has never been higher, which adds to the pressure. 343 should be given the benefit of the doubt because of this. It's sad to see people leave the project, but that's the business world.

At the same time, we've been supporting the franchise through some growing pains (4 and 5). At some point, stuff has to succeed for Halo to remain a major AAA title. It isn't like we're not going to play it, but the rest of the world is moving on to new IPs. Kids have never been part of the Halo glory days. We hope they come back.

Which is why being skeptical of what we're seeing is completely understandable. There are always obstacles to doing great work. Other studios have overcome them. I hope 343 does here and see no reason why it can't.
Vohark wrote:
The article mentions that Chris Lee was sidelined in favor of Joe Staten for a while now, so I wouldn't really read too much into his departure.
I think inevitably he left on his own will and media is making a big case out of it.
Vohark wrote:
The article mentions that Chris Lee was sidelined in favor of Joe Staten for a while now, so I wouldn't really read too much into his departure.
I think inevitably he left on his own will and media is making a big case out of it.
Yeah, there are things right now regarding Halo to be concerned about but this isn't really one of them.
It's almost like Halo: Infinite is following the same pattern as Anthem did.
not even close we don't have the major insight on halo infinite compared to the way Anthem went completely belly up
My memory might be off, but didn't rockstar games purchase 343s outsource dev team?
I’m pretty sure you’re thinking of the crackdown 2(?) developers

to the OPs topic, Chris Lee wasn’t necessarily my favorite person ever and fans are trying to scape goat people but honestly the work for infinite is done. All the content is there. Lee was probably asked to resign and Joseph is just there to see infinite thru to launch and hopefully lead the next halo game.
(crazy to think this game should’ve launched in 10 days from now and the content is just now all there)

I full heartedly believe 343i is capable and they have major talent but lack clear direction and strong leadership. I hope the shakeup at 343i sends them in the right direction for the future of the franchise and they ditch the 10 year plan. I believe with a new vision from Staten 343i is going to be on the right track after this rough launch.
—— Also I don’t know why people are coming for Bonnie Ross. Her work for the halo franchise is admirable and with Staten they could really do something special for Halo
Real random, but did Bonnie leave 343i? During Halo Infinite's announcement their was an unfamiliar face with the same position as Bonnie. I thought that she may have resign or found a higher opportunity up the ladder. I do think she deserves more credit than gamers give her.
not even close we don't have the major insight on halo infinite compared to the way Anthem went completely belly up
For real, Anthem was so bad. It is impossible for 343 to do that bad with the awesome talent they have now.
For real, Anthem was so bad. It is impossible for 343 to do that bad with the awesome talent they have now.
The problem with Anthem wasn't that Bioware was filled with talentless hacks, it was the atrocious management and dealing with an engine that was ill-suited for what they wanted to accomplish(when they could even decide what they wanted to accomplish).

Mismanagement and engine troubles don't seem that different from 343's situation to be perfectly honest. Does that necessarily mean that Infinite was mishandled quite as badly as Anthem was? No, but I don't think their respective situation are all that dissimilar. You can throw as many incredibly talented artists, engineers, and designers at a project as you want, but if management can't keep the ship sailing smoothly things are going to get out of hand.

Covid or no Covid people are right to be concerned with what was shown in July after 5 years of development. It would have been one thing if they had announced a delay ahead of the July event and everyone went into to it with tempered expectations, but up until the moment they actually delayed the game that clip was supposed to be more or less representative of what the game was supposed to be come November. Something clearly wasn't going right before covid and the situation hasn't really improved and high level departures like this when so much is still up in the air does not inspire confidence.
Honestly yes

* Infinite is taking longer than the typical halo game to produce
*It has a new engine they're working on (and bioware has struggled ever since they switched to the FB3 engine) and odds are 343 are struggling with the new engine trying to learn and tool it how they want it to be
* Just by the departures throughout infinites production, it exactly resembles anthem in terms of various people in management leaving while it's being built.

The only things that really differ is anthem is a new IP entirely, halo isn't and it has assets that can still be used even with a new engine being used. Looking at their issues though? It's pretty similar and it won't surprise me once infinite is out and some of the 343 employees speak out more on what gave them such a hard time with making the game. Management issues have to be first when you consider how many big role names have left I'm the last 3 years, and how they're bringing in people to "help" guide or redirect things.

Fair enough.
Still, how is it the governments fault that they chose to work on a "laptop screen and sometimes even just a touch pad for the mouse" instead of "3 computer monitors and a full corporate desk setup"?
Or that their home internet connection cannot "support their VPN and general work constantly drop out of meetings, have issues connecting to servers, and have issues exchanging large files"?

The scenarios you're describing here sound very fishy at best.
Why are people exchanging large files from home in the first place? The go-to solution is to connect to the office computer/server remotely and do your work that way. As such, you have the same infrastructure at your disposal as you would have had in the office. No loss in data transfer. Bring your monitors home along with your mouse and keyboard and your setup is identical. As for the dropouts, remote connection literally requires less bandwith than a YouTube video.
It's almost as if they wanted to not get work done by using a suboptimal approach.

The only point that seems halfway plausible - and incidentally is also the only one that can be blamed on anybody else than the person themselves - is the forced home schooling.

However, the point still stands that Halo Infinite's shortcomings are too numerous to be blamed on Covid one way or another. Software development / IT is the one sector that is least affected by the pandemic, because it is not tied to people being in any particular location they way that manufacturing or services are.
If you told me that the SeXbox were delayed because of Covid, I'd have bought that. However, I'm not buying into Infinite being delayed because of it, especially since the console itself managed to keep its schedule.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 7
  4. 8
  5. 9
  6. ...
  7. 10