Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Cinematics

OP Your Snack

As good as Blur is with cutscenes, I would love to see a good mix of in-game cinematics with some pre-rendered cutscenes. In game cinematics just makes the experience more grounded and immersive imo. Your thoughts?
In game cutscenes all the way. The pre rendered cutscenes look too good compared to gameplay graphics to the point where I find it jarring.
I am all for in game cutscenes as long as the facial animations hold up. I think we've gotten to a point where games look good enough and the facial animation tech is there that we don't need CGI anymore. Look at Infinite and Hellblade 2, that's all in engine and they look insanely good. Especially Hellblade 2, you could easily mistake that for straight up CGI.

Besides how good the looks are, in game cutscenes are also way more immersive. CGI cutscenes are beautiful but they always look vastly different from the game and take you out of that world, at least for me.
I think all the cutscenes are gonna be in-engine, especially to show off the power of the Sipspace engine.
I think they'll go in-game outside of possibly using pre renders for prologue and epilogue H4 style.

Blur does phenomenal work too, and with the Series X being so much more powerful than even the Xbox One X, it could mean that the intercutting between in-engine gameplay and high quality Blur cinematics would be smoother than ever before (as long as they both maintain a basic aesthetic/design similarity). I don't think that's how they'll go with this, though.
Blur cinematics are the best thing ever, cant get enough of those.
I dont mind in game graphics at all, but if they are going for blur again it will be amazing
Tacymist wrote:
In game cutscenes all the way. The pre rendered cutscenes look too good compared to gameplay graphics to the point where I find it jarring.
Exactly. I feel like halo 3 cutscenes are really good despite the old graphics because they flowed so well between gameplay and story. H4 had those pre rendered bits here and there. Gotta say it removed me from the game and made me feel like I was just watching a movie.
I love cgi cutscenes and I’d prefer them but in engine cutscenes in modern games are fine due to how games look now. The halo infinite opening sequence looks great and it’s not cgi so if that’s how the cutscenes looked I’d be fine. But there’s somethings you can’t really do in engine as well as you could with cgi. Like at the end of H5 when Cortana locked up blue team. Definitely a cgi moment. Not in engine