Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Clambering

OP Plunkidunk

Clambering takes you out of combat readiness and forces you into an animation. You dont need clambering if you have a grapple hook. And while I'm here can we all agree that ADSing should not make you fly? Ok i'll digress...... after I address the spartan rush and audible and visual spawn timers for power weapons. It takes the skill out of the game for timing the weapons like all the good players learned to do back in the day.
Plunkidunk wrote:
Clambering takes you out of combat readiness and forces you into an animation. You dont need clambering if you have a grapple hook. And while I'm here can we all agree that ADSing should not make you fly? Ok i'll digress...... after I address the spartan rush and audible and visual spawn timers for power weapons. It takes the skill out of the game for timing the weapons like all the good players learned to do back in the day.
1. Clambering does take you out of combat a bit with an animation. But that could be fixed in infinite possibly. They got rid of the delat out of sprint from the looks of it so they may have done it with clamber too.

2. You don't always have a grappling hook in infinite multiplayer. You have to find it on the map.

3. If you're referring to the hover from halo 5, it's not in infinite.

4. Timers do take map knowledge out of the equation a bit. But it helps newer players to learn maps, so in a way its a good thing for building a larger playerbase. Not my favorite thing but I don't hate it.
Clambering is fine. Apart from looking and feeling far more natural - it can be a skill gap penalty. You lose speed, make noise, and cannot shoot briefly... while anyone who made the jump cleanly (better timing and / or skill jump) or took a different route has the clear advantage.

As said. Hover is gone. But I wouldn't have stretched the description to 'flying'.

I agree that the spartan charge was definitely broken. Not many people will shed a tear not that it's gone.

As for timers. Meh. It wasn't much of a skill gap. Every semi-decent player / team had timers. You only have to press a button on your phone and hey presto... you know. The only people who took advantage of it was bullies smashing noobs. Giving new players a timer and encouraging good play is a good thing.
We don't need clamber Halo already had crouch jumping. Id rather take my moon jump with crouch jumping than reduced jump height in order to make clamber useful.

Its sad to see 343i still believing that Sprint, Clamber, and Slide is what makes a game "modern." What makes a shooter modern is exceeding in Map design, sandbox, progression, customization, proper bullet, registration, graphics, and Story. I'm sure I missed a few but that was a short list. You do not need tp copy other games in order to succeed. I and many others would argue that Halo's constant attempt to implement mechanics from other shooters is what prevents it from reaching the top or at the very least match Halo 3 numbers.

Why is Halo 3 the most successful Halo game when its from 2007 and gaming is more accessible than ever before? Simple, if I want CoD ill play CoD, if I want Halo where do I go? I guess MCC. But despite all of the updates its gotten, It did launch in 2014 in an embarrassing state and it launch on PC incomplete and buggy. That will effect how a game preforms in the long run in terms of player count. 343i needs to keep that in mind with Infinite.
kanku13 wrote:
Plunkidunk wrote:
1. Clmabering does take you out of combat a bit with an animation. But that could be fixed in infinite possibly. They got rid of the delat out of sprint from the looks of it so they may have done it with clamber too.

2. You don't always have a grappling hook in infinite multiplayer. You have to find it on the map.

4. Timers do take map knowledge out of the equation a bit. But it helps newer players to learn maps, so in a way its a good thing for building a larger playerbase. Not my favorite thing but I don't hate it.
Honestly Halo doesn't need Clamber 343i should just take it out
kanku13 wrote:
Plunkidunk wrote:
[...]4. Timers do take map knowledge out of the equation a bit. But it helps newer players to learn maps, so in a way its a good thing for building a larger playerbase. Not my favorite thing but I don't hate it.
I think they should say in the tutorial they're making that weapons have different spawn times, because growing up I thought they spawned randomly. Saying something simple in-between firing ranges like "you'll have to find your tools in the field; they'll spawn in at certain times and knowing when and where your favorite weapon will appear is key to your success as a spartan" would go a long way to illustrate to players that you don't have to run around aimlessly till you find something good.

This is especially prudent nowadays since many kids will be coming from Apex, Fortnite, and Warzone and may assume that the weapon spawns are completely random, weapon and all.

Darwi wrote:
Clambering is fine. Apart from looking and feeling far more natural - it can be a skill gap penalty. You lose speed, make noise, and cannot shoot briefly... while anyone who made the jump cleanly (better timing and / or skill jump) or took a different route has the clear advantage.
I think clamber will be fine as long as the maps themselves aren't littered with "clamber only" jumps that force you to clamber, like how they changed midship in H5 to make everything too tall to crouch jump onto. I think clambering, aside from being a punishment for missing jumps, can be an effective map-making tool for creating a "less safe" route to the high ground. You could crouch jump up a few props and leap across, gun always at the ready, or you could clamber up the ledge. If you crouch jump, the enemy may get to the position first, but if you clamber, the enemy may get the upper hand in an ensuing gunfight. This choice only exists, however, if a map contains both options in the same areas.
pretty sure this could be lumped with all the other "advanced movement" topics
Back in my Halo: CE tournament days kids would just have timers attached to their controllers.
All due respect guys but clamber is in this game. The maps and gameplay have all been designed around it's existence so this really seems like a waste of time.
In Halo 5 there are rotational playlists with what they call "mythic" settings without the advanced movement abilities and maps adjusted to that setting, those will probably return in Infinite as well.
I'm so tired of this E-sports crap. I don't care if "skill" is removed from the game. I only care that everyone is on an equal playing field and that the game is actually fun to play. Skill will always be a part of the game regardless of what is, or isn't changed given the nature of a PvP FPS game. Clamber is such a minor thing. I mean who even cares? All it means is once in a blue moon you'll get the jump on someone who decided to clamber, or vice versa. The animation is like a second and a half, or something like that. This is nothing problem.

Halo 5 dipped far too deep into this E-sports garbage and look what happened. The population ended up boiling down to a small population of sweats stuck in an endless cycle of sending hate mail to each other, while simultaneously turning away new players because of how sweaty every single playlist is.
In Halo 5 there are rotational playlists with what they call "mythic" settings without the advanced movement abilities and maps adjusted to that setting, those will probably return in Infinite as well.
I think that 343 just need to commit to Infinite. The only way to repair the fractures in the community is to move forward - even if some are lost on the way.
kanku13 wrote:
Plunkidunk wrote:
1. Clmabering does take you out of combat a bit with an animation. But that could be fixed in infinite possibly. They got rid of the delat out of sprint from the looks of it so they may have done it with clamber too.

Honestly Halo doesn't need Clamber 343i should just take it out
It may not need it but it makes life alot better. Why spend 5 seconds trying to climb a box when I could just literally climb the box? I also don't have to waste a useful grenade on trying to get on top of a ledge
Plunkidunk wrote:
  1. Well, its to get to a better position or evade.
  2. Yup, hence that button wont be pushed.
  3. When did ADSing make you fly? More like a light hover, but I guess the "fish was thiiiiiiis biiiiig"
  4. Timing isn't that big of a skill gap, if anything its just easier yea because we don't have to count it down that much more. OH WAIT, Pros still do since it still helps! And knowing the spawns, yea, learned and not hard of a skill to pick up even back in the day.
But I digress....swiss cheese.
We don't need clamber Halo already had crouch jumping. Id rather take my moon jump with crouch jumping than reduced jump height in order to make clamber useful.

Its sad to see 343i still believing that Sprint, Clamber, and Slide is what makes a game "modern." What makes a shooter modern is exceeding in Map design, sandbox, progression, customization, proper bullet, registration, graphics, and Story. I'm sure I missed a few but that was a short list. You do not need tp copy other games in order to succeed. I and many others would argue that Halo's constant attempt to implement mechanics from other shooters is what prevents it from reaching the top or at the very least match Halo 3 numbers.

Why is Halo 3 the most successful Halo game when its from 2007 and gaming is more accessible than ever before? Simple, if I want CoD ill play CoD, if I want Halo where do I go? I guess MCC. But despite all of the updates its gotten, It did launch in 2014 in an embarrassing state and it launch on PC incomplete and buggy. That will effect how a game preforms in the long run in terms of player count. 343i needs to keep that in mind with Infinite.
Keyword for Halo 3 so successful, is being from 2007. If at least game mechanics launched this day, I promise it would not be even close to the best game of the year.