[Locked] "Classic" gameplay is excruciatingly slow

OP Spidah Handz406

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
I'm so glad Infinite will incorporate some degree of advanced movement (sprint, grapple, etc.)

I booted up MCC and played some big team battle and oh my god it was painful. I can't stand moving around so slow. Maybe it was fun back then (and it was for me), but gameplay has evolved. It reminded me of vanilla Destiny 2 before the go-fast update, but way worse.

I get it, everyone is clamoring for a back-to-basics approach with classic halo gameplay. Well it's just my opinion that Halo Infinite is 100% going in the right direction. And now you all hate me :(
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Sprint slows down gameplay by not allowing you to shoot your gun and move at the same time, as well as streching maps. Congrats on being coned into thinking you move fast.
BTB Bill wrote:
Sprint slows down gameplay by not allowing you to shoot your gun and move at the same time, as well as streching maps. Congrats on being coned into thinking you move fast.
1000% this
I'm so glad Infinite will incorporate some degree of advanced movement (sprint, grapple, etc.)

I booted up MCC and played some big team battle and oh my god it was painful. I can't stand moving around so slow. Maybe it was fun back then (and it was for me), but gameplay has evolved. It reminded me of vanilla Destiny 2 before the go-fast update, but way worse.

I get it, everyone is clamoring for a back-to-basics approach with classic halo gameplay. Well it's just my opinion that Halo Infinite is 100% going in the right direction. And now you all hate me :(
Yeah careful mate you’ll be labeled a “zoomer” and crucified on the spot for ruining halo multiplayer.
Don't hate you for liking something different than I like.

How you feel about slow halo is how some of us feel about fast halo. Now imagine if infinite actually featured slow halo over fast halo like you prefer, feels awful doesn't it? You'd have people on the forums telling you to go back to halo 5, go find another game, adapt (even if you're better at slow halo theoretically instead of fast halo), no one cares about your opinion, yada yada yada. Now imagine the vast majority of the other fps on the market are similar to slow halo instead of fast halo so you basically have no where to go, again feels awful doesn't it?

But you can always go back to your old game right? Well now imagine that you actually like some quality of life improvements that new games have compared to the old ones or that you aren't blinded by nostalgia enough to look past each of the games flaws (every one of them are flawed in some way, hate to break it to each of you who think the past halo's are perfect). So you could go back to the old game you like, and give up any modern quality of life improvements that more recent games have gotten.
Increasing the FOV slider already accomplished that. My friends did that the other day and were stunned by the difference. Speed is about perception. Halo 4 was a failure as was Halo 5. I see doubling-down on Halo 5 as also failing. But we shall see.
Have you ever considered that if you find Halo's original gameplay too slow, that maybe Halo just isn't the franchise for you any more? Why should the newer games bend and twist themselves into something totally different to cater to someone who no longer enjoys what the franchise was built on?
Don't hate you for liking something different than I like.

How you feel about slow halo is how some of us feel about fast halo. Now imagine if infinite actually featured slow halo over fast halo like you prefer, feels awful doesn't it? You'd have people on the forums telling you to go back to halo 5, go find another game, adapt (even if you're better at slow halo theoretically instead of fast halo), no one cares about your opinion, yada yada yada. Now imagine the vast majority of the other fps on the market are similar to slow halo instead of fast halo so you basically have no where to go, again feels awful doesn't it?

But you can always go back to your old game right? Well now imagine that you actually like some quality of life improvements that new games have compared to the old ones or that you aren't blinded by nostalgia enough to look past each of the games flaws (every one of them are flawed in some way, hate to break it to each of you who think the past halo's are perfect). So you could go back to the old game you like, and give up any modern quality of life improvements that more recent games have gotten.
Appreciate your willingness to accept differences of opinion.

I’m certainly in the mindset that if Infinite’s gameplay isn’t as good as what I felt preceded it then I’d have reason to continue playing what preceded it. For me, that’s primarily going to be Halo 5, but I do find enjoyable aspects with all of the previous titles. It’s honestly a reason why I wasn’t 100% keen on Infinite essentially becoming a carbon copy of Halo 5 or any previous title even though I wanted much of H5’s QoL improvements from a gameplay perspective to be carried over. And thankfully for me it appears much of that is happening.

As for the going back to these past titles and wanting particular QoL evolutions within them I hope you’re giving that feedback to those working on the MCC. I know that some of your thoughts probably would be opposed by purists, but it never hurts to share your opinion even if it’s unlikely to occur. I’ve shared several QoL improvements that I really want to see added to the titles within the MCC, but I also know that some of them are likely super long shots to ever happen. Nevertheless, got to share them or they won’t be known to the developers or others who may also agree.

Hey I agree with you. It was fun, but that was 10 years ago. Now going back just feels so slow. But other raised a good point that if the map is deliberately designed to accommodate slow movement, then it is ok. But I don't see how a "vast open world" can be accomodating to slow movement. Imagine playing assassin's creed origin/odyssey, Witcher, or any other open-world without some form of running and sprinting. Having the most "advanced super-soldier with powered-armor" to be able to run fast is only logical.

Although I disagree with you when it comes to gameplay and I’m not thrilled Infinite has sprint I respect your opinion. Sprint being in the game doesn’t ruin infinite for me and I’m still excited for the game. Just be prepared to be branded a heretic by those who disagree
It's all about what you're used to. Sprint has become the norm so now when you go back to Halo 3 and those before it, the game feels like it moves at a crawl.
The thing I like about that is the maps and levels actually seem bigger and more open. Sprint closes the gap too fast in otherwise vast and open areas that you don't just rush across. Moving at a steady pace through a big open area with a beautiful skybox while always being able to fire your weapon and jump around is what makes the experience of Halo so great and authentic.
Modern movements is a must in a game like this. It's that simple.

For MM, I could see an argument both ways. An argument does not hold up at all outside of that.
J Teeps wrote:
Modern movements is a must in a game like this. It's that simple.

For MM, I could see an argument both ways. An argument does not hold up at all outside of that.
It looks like the grapple hook moves you around faster than sprinting. So, why still include sprinting?
*Laughs in Combat Evolved*

It's almost like vehicles were put into BTB maps for you to get around quicker.
They should just increase the base movement speed. That's been the obvious answer for close to a decade now. If I can't shoot while moving at max speed, then it's not Halo to me.

We all know sprint doesn't actually speed anything up, but please retire the argument that it's an open world and we have to get around. 343 are designers that should be creative. They should add onto what made halo's formula good in the first place, not copy other games. If we're so worried about running from point A to point B in an open world give master chief a damn scooter or something, anything but sprint.
a slightly faster normal movement speed and no sprint would be preferable. spartans should always run.
I'm fine with the compromise. I just hope the mp has interesting maps.
BTB Bill wrote:
It lets u get out of bad situations a lot faster and if u take 3 steps on the wrong direction u won’t die so I mean 🤷🏽‍♂️
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8