Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

[Locked] "Classic" gameplay is excruciatingly slow

OP Spidah Handz406

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 8
Willko wrote:
Have you ever considered that if you find Halo's original gameplay too slow, that maybe Halo just isn't the franchise for you any more? Why should the newer games bend and twist themselves into something totally different to cater to someone who no longer enjoys what the franchise was built on?
This statement is ludicrous. How can you say this? If the game doesn’t move forward and evolve it’ll stagnate and fail. I enjoy having sprint and climb. But I still also enjoy old school halo. To say that halo isn’t the franchise for you anymore to anyone because they enjoy the new features is rubbish. If anything it could be said that the franchise is not for you anymore because you’re stuck in the past.
Tresor564 wrote:
idouts wrote:
Tresor564 wrote:
Tresor564 wrote:
BTB Bill wrote:
Sprint slows down gameplay by not allowing you to shoot your gun and move at the same time, as well as streching maps. Congrats on being coned into thinking you move fast.
It lets u get out of bad situations a lot faster and if u take 3 steps on the wrong direction u won’t die so I mean 🤷🏽‍♂️
you just described sprint as a crutch...
I described it as something that allows u to take more risks and take more engagements w/out getting shutdown. Either way classic gameplay is never coming back so I’m happy
So its a crutch.

This is what happens when we let the COD kids have opinions about something that isnt COD.
Lol the OGs are getting feisty today. Bud I have 500+ hours on MCC and was ranked in the top 200 for a good amount of time in H5. I’ve played all the halo games substantially and I dont have my opinions shrouded in nostalgia.

Halo’s with sprint are just better I don’t have to camp and rely on teammates as much, I can dodge well placed nades, push someone before they can react, etc. It complicates the game. But sure dude just smear me as a COD fanboy 😂
So how many videos proving sprint hurts competitive gameplay do you want? Because there are tons of people who have proven it down to damn near science. Also calling people OGs almost validates their opinions more.

Sprint in Halo has always made a lesser Halo.
are these videos from actual pros who played both classic and H5? or from youtubers who compare only one aspect of the advanced movement mechanics to the BMS of classic halo?

If you actually followed the competitive h5 scene...the major issue were automatics, splinter nades, power weapon/power weapon ammo count, weapon tuning, radar, spartan charge and ground pound. And compounding all of this was 343's slow response to actually implementing feedback. it took them 3 years to give the pros the settings they wanted when they had the feedback almost a year in.

Yes there was a general poll among the pros were for or against sprint, but that poll was not in context of H5. However if you go and tweet at all the pros right now and ask what they think about sprint in Halo all of them would say the same thing

"I don't care...I just want a good game." The competitive scene got over the sprint argument aaages ago. Its only the rest of the community that is hung up on this issue.
Tresor564 wrote:
idouts wrote:
Tresor564 wrote:
Tresor564 wrote:
BTB Bill wrote:
Sprint slows down gameplay by not allowing you to shoot your gun and move at the same time, as well as streching maps. Congrats on being coned into thinking you move fast.
It lets u get out of bad situations a lot faster and if u take 3 steps on the wrong direction u won’t die so I mean 🤷🏽‍♂️
you just described sprint as a crutch...
I described it as something that allows u to take more risks and take more engagements w/out getting shutdown. Either way classic gameplay is never coming back so I’m happy
So its a crutch.

This is what happens when we let the COD kids have opinions about something that isnt COD.
Lol the OGs are getting feisty today. Bud I have 500+ hours on MCC and was ranked in the top 200 for a good amount of time in H5. I’ve played all the halo games substantially and I dont have my opinions shrouded in nostalgia.

Halo’s with sprint are just better I don’t have to camp and rely on teammates as much, I can dodge well placed nades, push someone before they can react, etc. It complicates the game. But sure dude just smear me as a COD fanboy 😂
So how many videos proving sprint hurts competitive gameplay do you want? Because there are tons of people who have proven it down to damn near science. Also calling people OGs almost validates their opinions more.

Sprint in Halo has always made a lesser Halo.
We’re debating a subjective opinion how is someone supposed to “ prove” that objectively.
I'm so glad Infinite will incorporate some degree of advanced movement (sprint, grapple, etc.)

I booted up MCC and played some big team battle and oh my god it was painful. I can't stand moving around so slow. Maybe it was fun back then (and it was for me), but gameplay has evolved. It reminded me of vanilla Destiny 2 before the go-fast update, but way worse.

I get it, everyone is clamoring for a back-to-basics approach with classic halo gameplay. Well it's just my opinion that Halo Infinite is 100% going in the right direction. And now you all hate me :(
lol you have to get used to classic, if you want to play with sprint play on halo reach n halo 4 in mcc
Don’t listen to the naysayers. They’re too stuck in 2007 to be reasoned with. Halo has to evolve to appeal to the masses & Infinite’s gameplay is a step in the right direction. I‘m with ya.
Halo 3 was slow, which is why they had the mlg playlists.
fuzzyyogi wrote:
Tresor564 wrote:
idouts wrote:
Tresor564 wrote:
Tresor564 wrote:
BTB Bill wrote:
Sprint slows down gameplay by not allowing you to shoot your gun and move at the same time, as well as streching maps. Congrats on being coned into thinking you move fast.
It lets u get out of bad situations a lot faster and if u take 3 steps on the wrong direction u won’t die so I mean 🤷🏽‍♂️
you just described sprint as a crutch...
I described it as something that allows u to take more risks and take more engagements w/out getting shutdown. Either way classic gameplay is never coming back so I’m happy
So its a crutch.

This is what happens when we let the COD kids have opinions about something that isnt COD.
Lol the OGs are getting feisty today. Bud I have 500+ hours on MCC and was ranked in the top 200 for a good amount of time in H5. I’ve played all the halo games substantially and I dont have my opinions shrouded in nostalgia.

Halo’s with sprint are just better I don’t have to camp and rely on teammates as much, I can dodge well placed nades, push someone before they can react, etc. It complicates the game. But sure dude just smear me as a COD fanboy 😂
So how many videos proving sprint hurts competitive gameplay do you want? Because there are tons of people who have proven it down to damn near science. Also calling people OGs almost validates their opinions more.

Sprint in Halo has always made a lesser Halo.
are these videos from actual pros who played both classic and H5? or from youtubers who compare only one aspect of the advanced movement mechanics to the BMS of classic halo?

If you actually followed the competitive h5 scene...the major issue were automatics, splinter nades, power weapon/power weapon ammo count, weapon tuning, radar, spartan charge and ground pound. And compounding all of this was 343's slow response to actually implementing feedback. it took them 3 years to give the pros the settings they wanted when they had the feedback almost a year in.

Yes there was a general poll among the pros were for or against sprint, but that poll was not in context of H5. However if you go and tweet at all the pros right now and ask what they think about sprint in Halo all of them would say the same thing

"I don't care...I just want a good game." The competitive scene got over the sprint argument aaages ago. Its only the rest of the community that is hung up on this issue.
That's the thing, crisp gun play is way more important. The biggest reason i prefer Halo 5 over Halo 3 is to do with the gun play. In Halo 3 it's BR or nothing. Not only that but the H3 BR is an inconsistent piece of trash. It's a bit better in the MCC, but that's because of the netcode.

Take Halo 5's sandbox and add in all the Spartan abilities and you've got one heck of a fun game.
Don’t listen to the naysayers. They’re too stuck in 2007 to be reasoned with. Halo has to evolve to appeal to the masses & Infinite’s gameplay is a step in the right direction. I‘m with ya.
Why did they fail to appeal to the masses with Halo 4 and 5? They followed all the correct trends at the time, but the player base just fell off, especially with Halo 4. So what would make the masses stay with Halo Infinite? What would Infinite do to keep the player base when they could get a similar experience in other games?
F16 HUNTER wrote:
Don’t listen to the naysayers. They’re too stuck in 2007 to be reasoned with. Halo has to evolve to appeal to the masses & Infinite’s gameplay is a step in the right direction. I‘m with ya.
Why did they fail to appeal to the masses with Halo 4 and 5? They followed all the correct trends at the time, but the player base just fell off, especially with Halo 4. So what would make the masses stay with Halo Infinite? What would Infinite do to keep the player base when they could get a similar experience in other games?
Its kinda like halo odst but evolved style. Don't get me wrong people have asked for a halo odst 2 game. With the tacmap here it kinda resembles a little different but like halo odst, where you could explore new mombasa in the events between halo 2 and 3
F16 HUNTER wrote:
Don’t listen to the naysayers. They’re too stuck in 2007 to be reasoned with. Halo has to evolve to appeal to the masses & Infinite’s gameplay is a step in the right direction. I‘m with ya.
Why did they fail to appeal to the masses with Halo 4 and 5? They followed all the correct trends at the time, but the player base just fell off, especially with Halo 4. So what would make the masses stay with Halo Infinite? What would Infinite do to keep the player base when they could get a similar experience in other games?
Halo 5 failed? lol what? It was the most successful launch on the XB1 and is still higher-ranked on both Game Pass & the Microsoft Store than MCC. Halo 4 might have been a flop, but Halo 5 is far from it.
Well thread seems to be sending all the brain-cells down the drain. Firstly, it's a video game franchise so why don't we all take a deep breath. Secondly, Everyone has a fair shot at saying what they want from the game. Nothing wrong with disagreeing, but saying it't not valid is dumb. If they care enough to come here and type out their thoughts, they are clearly more of a fan than an average silent player.

Now about game-play. Do I think that older Halo games have slow game-play? Yes.
Is that entirely a bad thing? No.
Do I think Halo Infinite should be faster? Absolutely.

Having played all the games for large chunks of time (I joined late so most exposure to the first three are from MCC. Deal with it.) I would like to see something closer to what Halo CE-3 gave us on the base level. Yet I also see the potential of certain abilities that have been added from the newer games. I personally thought Thrust, Clamber and Stabilizers (to a degree) were neat additions that didn't detract. As many have said, removing sprint and adding a faster base movement would create faster game-play, I don't know which game it should follow as I do not know the values for CE-5. Let's say 110% Halo 5 speed just for example.

Any equipment that may be added would also help with speeding up game-play such as the grapple, yet the size of the map definitely plays a huge role in that. The bigger the map, the less people you will find to fight, which means slower feeling game-play. I have been mainly playing Halo 3 and Reach in MCC right now. The feeling of slowness isn't huge for 3 but still there and non-existent for Reach. Halo game-play is slow. But it isn't horrible.
F16 HUNTER wrote:
Don’t listen to the naysayers. They’re too stuck in 2007 to be reasoned with. Halo has to evolve to appeal to the masses & Infinite’s gameplay is a step in the right direction. I‘m with ya.
Why did they fail to appeal to the masses with Halo 4 and 5? They followed all the correct trends at the time, but the player base just fell off, especially with Halo 4. So what would make the masses stay with Halo Infinite? What would Infinite do to keep the player base when they could get a similar experience in other games?
Halo 5 failed? lol what? It was the most successful launch on the XB1 and is still higher-ranked on both Game Pass & the Microsoft Store than MCC. Halo 4 might have been a flop, but Halo 5 is far from it.
Halo 5 held a very strong player retention and stable community that was probably comparable to how Reach did in the end. It definitely did leaps and bounds better than Halo 4. Halo 5 was defiantly not a failure in the grand scheme.
Tresor564 wrote:
idouts wrote:
Tresor564 wrote:
Tresor564 wrote:
BTB Bill wrote:
Sprint slows down gameplay by not allowing you to shoot your gun and move at the same time, as well as streching maps. Congrats on being coned into thinking you move fast.
It lets u get out of bad situations a lot faster and if u take 3 steps on the wrong direction u won’t die so I mean 🤷🏽‍♂️
you just described sprint as a crutch...
I described it as something that allows u to take more risks and take more engagements w/out getting shutdown. Either way classic gameplay is never coming back so I’m happy
So its a crutch.

This is what happens when we let the COD kids have opinions about something that isnt COD.
Lol the OGs are getting feisty today. Bud I have 500+ hours on MCC and was ranked in the top 200 for a good amount of time in H5. I’ve played all the halo games substantially and I dont have my opinions shrouded in nostalgia.

Halo’s with sprint are just better I don’t have to camp and rely on teammates as much, I can dodge well placed nades, push someone before they can react, etc. It complicates the game. But sure dude just smear me as a COD fanboy 😂
I dont care what your rank is and I dont care what you can do. It is irrelevant and bragging isnt doing you any favors. I am comparing newer games to older ones and I find the older ones to be much more enjoyable than the newer ones for various reasons. The changes made to the game from halo 3 to halo 5 is just changing what made halo halo way too much in a way that people like myself feel that it detracts from the enjoyability and balance of the game. Nostalgia? Nope, 3 is objectively better for gameplay than 4. Equipment included. Equipment is a limited resource in 3 unlike in reach, 4, and 5.

And dont get me started on what they did to the multiplayer of 5. What are they EA?
idouts wrote:
Tresor564 wrote:
idouts wrote:
Tresor564 wrote:
Tresor564 wrote:
BTB Bill wrote:
Sprint slows down gameplay by not allowing you to shoot your gun and move at the same time, as well as streching maps. Congrats on being coned into thinking you move fast.
It lets u get out of bad situations a lot faster and if u take 3 steps on the wrong direction u won’t die so I mean 🤷🏽‍♂️
you just described sprint as a crutch...
I described it as something that allows u to take more risks and take more engagements w/out getting shutdown. Either way classic gameplay is never coming back so I’m happy
So its a crutch.

This is what happens when we let the COD kids have opinions about something that isnt COD.
Lol the OGs are getting feisty today. Bud I have 500+ hours on MCC and was ranked in the top 200 for a good amount of time in H5. I’ve played all the halo games substantially and I dont have my opinions shrouded in nostalgia.

Halo’s with sprint are just better I don’t have to camp and rely on teammates as much, I can dodge well placed nades, push someone before they can react, etc. It complicates the game. But sure dude just smear me as a COD fanboy 😂
I dont care what your rank is and I dont care what you can do. It is irrelevant and bragging isnt doing you any favors. I am comparing newer games to older ones and I find the older ones to be much more enjoyable than the newer ones for various reasons. The changes made to the game from halo 3 to halo 5 is just changing what made halo halo way too much in a way that people like myself feel that it detracts from the enjoyability and balance of the game. Nostalgia? Nope, 3 is objectively better for gameplay than 4. Equipment included. Equipment is a limited resource in 3 unlike in reach, 4, and 5.

And dont get me started on what they did to the multiplayer of 5. What are they EA
I only brought up my skill and time played because u we’re trying to smear me as a cod fanboy that has never sweated once in halo and for preferring sprint in game.

Ok so you’re bringing up limited equipment as a reason but ur just saying it makes it better w/out saying why it does. You also can’t say H3 is Objectively better we could go back and forth with different reasons it’s all subjective I think H5 is the better title and you think H3 is.
I'm so glad Infinite will incorporate some degree of advanced movement (sprint, grapple, etc.)

I booted up MCC and played some big team battle and oh my god it was painful. I can't stand moving around so slow. Maybe it was fun back then (and it was for me), but gameplay has evolved. It reminded me of vanilla Destiny 2 before the go-fast update, but way worse.

I get it, everyone is clamoring for a back-to-basics approach with classic halo gameplay. Well it's just my opinion that Halo Infinite is 100% going in the right direction. And now you all hate me :(
Hey I agree with you. It was fun, but that was 10 years ago. Now going back just feels so slow. But other raised a good point that if the map is deliberately designed to accommodate slow movement, then it is ok. But I don't see how a "vast open world" can be accomodating to slow movement. Imagine playing assassin's creed origin/odyssey, Witcher, or any other open-world without some form of running and sprinting. Having the most "advanced super-soldier with powered-armor" to be able to run fast is only logical.
If only there was some kind of car or an atv that let you go fast? Maybe they could add a covenant vehicle that let you fly wouldn’t that be crazy!
J Teeps wrote:
Modern movements is a must in a game like this. It's that simple.

For MM, I could see an argument both ways. An argument does not hold up at all outside of that.
So because it’s the norm it means you most automatically do it?
F16 HUNTER wrote:
Don’t listen to the naysayers. They’re too stuck in 2007 to be reasoned with. Halo has to evolve to appeal to the masses & Infinite’s gameplay is a step in the right direction. I‘m with ya.
Why did they fail to appeal to the masses with Halo 4 and 5? They followed all the correct trends at the time, but the player base just fell off, especially with Halo 4. So what would make the masses stay with Halo Infinite? What would Infinite do to keep the player base when they could get a similar experience in other games?
Halo 5 failed? lol what? It was the most successful launch on the XB1 and is still higher-ranked on both Game Pass & the Microsoft Store than MCC. Halo 4 might have been a flop, but Halo 5 is far from it.
Halo 5 held a very strong player retention and stable community that was probably comparable to how Reach did in the end. It definitely did leaps and bounds better than Halo 4. Halo 5 was defiantly not a failure in the grand scheme.
It was the lowest selling Halo for copies of the game. They only bragged about "Halo related sales" meaning consoles, halo merch and micro transactions. So yes worst selling Halo. Player retention only matters when you have a large amount of players to begin with.
F16 HUNTER wrote:
Don’t listen to the naysayers. They’re too stuck in 2007 to be reasoned with. Halo has to evolve to appeal to the masses & Infinite’s gameplay is a step in the right direction. I‘m with ya.
Why did they fail to appeal to the masses with Halo 4 and 5? They followed all the correct trends at the time, but the player base just fell off, especially with Halo 4. So what would make the masses stay with Halo Infinite? What would Infinite do to keep the player base when they could get a similar experience in other games?
Halo 5 failed? lol what? It was the most successful launch on the XB1 and is still higher-ranked on both Game Pass & the Microsoft Store than MCC. Halo 4 might have been a flop, but Halo 5 is far from it.
Most successful on XOne? When did this happen? lol. Halo 5 has barely ever been in the most played page on Xbox. 5 sold less then 4. I've been watching the most played page since its launch and it was number 8 most played for about a month then dipped quickly to the 20s then off the page entirely.
F16 HUNTER wrote:
Don’t listen to the naysayers. They’re too stuck in 2007 to be reasoned with. Halo has to evolve to appeal to the masses & Infinite’s gameplay is a step in the right direction. I‘m with ya.
Why did they fail to appeal to the masses with Halo 4 and 5? They followed all the correct trends at the time, but the player base just fell off, especially with Halo 4. So what would make the masses stay with Halo Infinite? What would Infinite do to keep the player base when they could get a similar experience in other games?
Halo 5 failed? lol what? It was the most successful launch on the XB1 and is still higher-ranked on both Game Pass & the Microsoft Store than MCC. Halo 4 might have been a flop, but Halo 5 is far from it.
Halo 5 held a very strong player retention and stable community that was probably comparable to how Reach did in the end. It definitely did leaps and bounds better than Halo 4. Halo 5 was defiantly not a failure in the grand scheme.
That's why the population is always hidden.
God Rohan wrote:
Willko wrote:
Have you ever considered that if you find Halo's original gameplay too slow, that maybe Halo just isn't the franchise for you any more? Why should the newer games bend and twist themselves into something totally different to cater to someone who no longer enjoys what the franchise was built on?
This statement is ludicrous. How can you say this? If the game doesn’t move forward and evolve it’ll stagnate and fail. I enjoy having sprint and climb. But I still also enjoy old school halo. To say that halo isn’t the franchise for you anymore to anyone because they enjoy the new features is rubbish. If anything it could be said that the franchise is not for you anymore because you’re stuck in the past.
Why does a game need to evolve to be successful? Halo 5 bombed.
God Rohan wrote:
Willko wrote:
Have you ever considered that if you find Halo's original gameplay too slow, that maybe Halo just isn't the franchise for you any more? Why should the newer games bend and twist themselves into something totally different to cater to someone who no longer enjoys what the franchise was built on?
This statement is ludicrous. How can you say this? If the game doesn’t move forward and evolve it’ll stagnate and fail. I enjoy having sprint and climb. But I still also enjoy old school halo. To say that halo isn’t the franchise for you anymore to anyone because they enjoy the new features is rubbish. If anything it could be said that the franchise is not for you anymore because you’re stuck in the past.
Why does a game need to evolve to be successful? Halo 5 bombed.
That bombed not because of evolution but because of a rushed abysmal -Yoink- show that was. But in all fairness the multiplayer was its only saving glory. If you don’t want progress why don’t you just scream for a halo 3 remaster?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 8