Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Competitive gameplay

OP Phantom of End

I'm wondering what the competitive scene will be like. What type of objective games are going to make it in the game? What new gametypes might there be? Who all is planning on competing?

I know it's early to know anything really, but I feel it's never too early to get the conversation rolling.

Thoughts?
I hope it’s not what we’re seeing happening with Halo 5 otherwise we might get Fiesta SWAT with 300% speed and low gravity on day 1.
Thoughts?
I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to when you say "the competitive scene". Do you mean esports? All I have to say about Halo esports is this: I'll consider watching it when they have professional BTB tournaments. I've seen enough pistol fights.
tuhin94 wrote:
I hope it’s not what we’re seeing happening with Halo 5 otherwise we might get Fiesta SWAT with 300% speed and low gravity on day 1.
You are referring to the situation where 343 introduced Big Team Super Fiesta, and then openly considered making normal BTB rotational, correct? But keep in mind what we're seeing happening with Halo 5 is this:
  1. Launch the game without BTB, and when it does get added, it has neither a Heavies variant nor the abundance of fun weapons and vehicles and developer-made Blood Gulch-sized maps that players had come to expect from a BTB playlist. Instead, all those things went to Warzone.
  2. Add Big Team Super Fiesta. Suddenly all the fun weapons and vehicles are back in BTB, so regular boring BTB dies out, because of course it does and anyone who is surprised by that is out of touch with what the majority of Halo 5 players like.
  3. Next, Josh/Zaedynfel talks about how he would focus on Super Fiesta if that's what the majority of players like, because he wants to make the game better for as many people as possible, and he understands the fact that only a small group of enthusiasts prefer Halo 5's bland BTB without all the heavy weapons and vehicles. And when the holiday season rolls around, throw in a temporary Holiday Fiesta playlist just to make people extra paranoid about the whole game turning into Super Fiesta.
Now think about this: what would have happened if Halo 5's BTB wasn't neglected from the start, and included all the req variants you can find in Warzone, from day 1? If that had been the case, I don't think Big Team Super Fiesta would have cannibalized normal BTB's population nearly as much because it would have already been fun, so 343 wouldn't have had to consider making it rotational, and people wouldn't be saying things like "I hope Halo Infinite's competitive scene isn't made of fiesta Swat with 300% speed and low gravity".

So here's my point: what we're seeing happening with Halo 5 is important playlists such as BTB getting neglected, and then everyone preferring a fiesta version of it, because of how much 343 neglected the original version. In order to avoid that happening in Halo Infinite, it will actually need to launch with a good selection of non-competitive playlist options that appeal to the core audience of casual players. Then it can go ahead and have a separate competitive scene without anyone worrying about fiesta intruding on it.
Thoughts?
I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to when you say "the competitive scene". Do you mean esports? All I have to say about Halo esports is this: I'll consider watching it when they have professional BTB tournaments. I've seen enough pistol fights.
tuhin94 wrote:
I hope it’s not what we’re seeing happening with Halo 5 otherwise we might get Fiesta SWAT with 300% speed and low gravity on day 1.
You are referring to the situation where 343 introduced Big Team Super Fiesta, and then openly considered making normal BTB rotational, correct? But keep in mind what we're seeing happening with Halo 5 is this:
  1. Launch the game without BTB, and when it does get added, it has neither a Heavies variant nor the abundance of fun weapons and vehicles and developer-made Blood Gulch-sized maps that players had come to expect from a BTB playlist. Instead, all those things went to Warzone.
  2. Add Big Team Super Fiesta. Suddenly all the fun weapons and vehicles are back in BTB, so regular boring BTB dies out, because of course it does and anyone who is surprised by that is out of touch with what the majority of Halo 5 players like.
  3. Next, Josh/Zaedynfel talks about how he would focus on Super Fiesta if that's what the majority of players like, because he wants to make the game better for as many people as possible, and he understands the fact that only a small group of enthusiasts prefer Halo 5's bland BTB without all the heavy weapons and vehicles. And when the holiday season rolls around, throw in a temporary Holiday Fiesta playlist just to make people extra paranoid about the whole game turning into Super Fiesta.
Now think about this: what would have happened if Halo 5's BTB wasn't neglected from the start, and included all the req variants you can find in Warzone, from day 1? If that had been the case, I don't think Big Team Super Fiesta would have cannibalized normal BTB's population nearly as much because it would have already been fun, so 343 wouldn't have had to consider making it rotational, and people wouldn't be saying things like "I hope Halo Infinite's competitive scene isn't made of fiesta Swat with 300% speed and low gravity".

So here's my point: what we're seeing happening with Halo 5 is important playlists such as BTB getting neglected, and then everyone preferring a fiesta version of it, because of how much 343 neglected the original version. In order to avoid that happening in Halo Infinite, it will actually need to launch with a good selection of non-competitive playlist options that appeal to the core audience of casual players. Then it can go ahead and have a separate competitive scene without anyone worrying about fiesta intruding on it.
Thank you for your input on the whole super fiesta thing. As for my definition of competitive scene, I'm referring to the hypothetical ranked population.
Thoughts?
I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to when you say "the competitive scene". Do you mean esports? All I have to say about Halo esports is this: I'll consider watching it when they have professional BTB tournaments. I've seen enough pistol fights.
tuhin94 wrote:
I hope it’s not what we’re seeing happening with Halo 5 otherwise we might get Fiesta SWAT with 300% speed and low gravity on day 1.
You are referring to the situation where 343 introduced Big Team Super Fiesta, and then openly considered making normal BTB rotational, correct? But keep in mind what we're seeing happening with Halo 5 is this:
  1. Launch the game without BTB, and when it does get added, it has neither a Heavies variant nor the abundance of fun weapons and vehicles and developer-made Blood Gulch-sized maps that players had come to expect from a BTB playlist. Instead, all those things went to Warzone.
  2. Add Big Team Super Fiesta. Suddenly all the fun weapons and vehicles are back in BTB, so regular boring BTB dies out, because of course it does and anyone who is surprised by that is out of touch with what the majority of Halo 5 players like.
  3. Next, Josh/Zaedynfel talks about how he would focus on Super Fiesta if that's what the majority of players like, because he wants to make the game better for as many people as possible, and he understands the fact that only a small group of enthusiasts prefer Halo 5's bland BTB without all the heavy weapons and vehicles. And when the holiday season rolls around, throw in a temporary Holiday Fiesta playlist just to make people extra paranoid about the whole game turning into Super Fiesta.
Now think about this: what would have happened if Halo 5's BTB wasn't neglected from the start, and included all the req variants you can find in Warzone, from day 1? If that had been the case, I don't think Big Team Super Fiesta would have cannibalized normal BTB's population nearly as much because it would have already been fun, so 343 wouldn't have had to consider making it rotational, and people wouldn't be saying things like "I hope Halo Infinite's competitive scene isn't made of fiesta Swat with 300% speed and low gravity".

So here's my point: what we're seeing happening with Halo 5 is important playlists such as BTB getting neglected, and then everyone preferring a fiesta version of it, because of how much 343 neglected the original version. In order to avoid that happening in Halo Infinite, it will actually need to launch with a good selection of non-competitive playlist options that appeal to the core audience of casual players. Then it can go ahead and have a separate competitive scene without anyone worrying about fiesta intruding on it.
Yep, agreed. I think it should be a good game if they avoid following “games as a service.”
I mean, it's not like we're not paying for xbl as a service already and buy the game...

Now about advanced movement(i.e. Spartan charge/ground pound) I hope we don't see it in competitive Halo: Infinite. I do like sprinting and sliding into a crouch. Clambering is also a must to ensurre maximum mobility in game. It adds that extra element of climbing around and up a structure to flank your opponents.

Removing the Spartan charge and groundpound from the HCS settings made the game slow down a little bit. Also the gameplay became more competitive in my opinion because players were limited in their means to dispose of their opponents. I hope that we see a similar setup for H:I
I would like to see a level 1 through level 50 system. Not the level 1 through level 152 set up we have now. Please?
Thoughts?
I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to when you say "the competitive scene". Do you mean esports? All I have to say about Halo esports is this: I'll consider watching it when they have professional BTB tournaments. I've seen enough pistol fights.
tuhin94 wrote:
I hope it’s not what we’re seeing happening with Halo 5 otherwise we might get Fiesta SWAT with 300% speed and low gravity on day 1.
You are referring to the situation where 343 introduced Big Team Super Fiesta, and then openly considered making normal BTB rotational, correct? But keep in mind what we're seeing happening with Halo 5 is this:
  1. Launch the game without BTB, and when it does get added, it has neither a Heavies variant nor the abundance of fun weapons and vehicles and developer-made Blood Gulch-sized maps that players had come to expect from a BTB playlist. Instead, all those things went to Warzone.
  2. Add Big Team Super Fiesta. Suddenly all the fun weapons and vehicles are back in BTB, so regular boring BTB dies out, because of course it does and anyone who is surprised by that is out of touch with what the majority of Halo 5 players like.
  3. Next, Josh/Zaedynfel talks about how he would focus on Super Fiesta if that's what the majority of players like, because he wants to make the game better for as many people as possible, and he understands the fact that only a small group of enthusiasts prefer Halo 5's bland BTB without all the heavy weapons and vehicles. And when the holiday season rolls around, throw in a temporary Holiday Fiesta playlist just to make people extra paranoid about the whole game turning into Super Fiesta.
Now think about this: what would have happened if Halo 5's BTB wasn't neglected from the start, and included all the req variants you can find in Warzone, from day 1? If that had been the case, I don't think Big Team Super Fiesta would have cannibalized normal BTB's population nearly as much because it would have already been fun, so 343 wouldn't have had to consider making it rotational, and people wouldn't be saying things like "I hope Halo Infinite's competitive scene isn't made of fiesta Swat with 300% speed and low gravity".

So here's my point: what we're seeing happening with Halo 5 is important playlists such as BTB getting neglected, and then everyone preferring a fiesta version of it, because of how much 343 neglected the original version. In order to avoid that happening in Halo Infinite, it will actually need to launch with a good selection of non-competitive playlist options that appeal to the core audience of casual players. Then it can go ahead and have a separate competitive scene without anyone worrying about fiesta intruding on it.
"Add Big Team Super Fiesta. Suddenly all the fun weapons and vehicles are back in BTB, so regular boring BTB dies out, because of course it does and anyone who is surprised by that is out of touch with what the majority of Halo 5 players like."

No, this would suck. It would just be getting spawn killed by snipers because you spawned with 2 needlers. Also, it would get voted for all the time by the bad players so BTB would be unplayable half the time.
tuhin94 wrote:
I hope it’s not what we’re seeing happening with Halo 5 otherwise we might get Fiesta SWAT with 300% speed and low gravity on day 1.
That sounds pretty dope, I'm all in for Fiesta swat 300% speed and low gravity
"Add Big Team Super Fiesta. Suddenly all the fun weapons and vehicles are back in BTB, so regular boring BTB dies out, because of course it does and anyone who is surprised by that is out of touch with what the majority of Halo 5 players like."

No, this would suck. It would just be getting spawn killed by snipers because you spawned with 2 needlers. Also, it would get voted for all the time by the bad players so BTB would be unplayable half the time.
Just was saying that's what already happened in Halo 5 😂
I would love to see the return of the Halo 3 Skill system .
I would love to see the return of the Halo 3 Skill system .
I agree, I feel as though a level rank coupled with a playlist rank was awesome. I definitely believe 343 should steer far from the ranking system currently employed in H5 Guardians. I'm very excited to see what comes.
I would love to see the return of the Halo 3 Skill system .
I agree, I feel as though a level rank coupled with a playlist rank was awesome. I definitely believe 343 should steer far from the ranking system currently employed in H5 Guardians. I'm very excited to see what comes.
Definitely agree here. I've finally had some time lately and wanted to try to get into Halo again besides just playing 1v1's with my brother occasionally, but I went onto the MCC and the options for ranked playlists just discouraged me. No snipers, no swat, no doubles... Back in the day the 1-50 on each playlist made it fun to rank up depending on what I felt like playing. There aren't many options now. And the new ranking systems with resets (in the newer games) doesn't interest me at all.