Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Cortana in the new trailer

OP total war1402

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I am a little surprised. When I saw last years trailer I was pretty sure it wasn’t the actual Cortana in the Domain. But this trailer makes it certainly seem that’s the case.

Chief has a containment unit with no AI in it at what looks to be the start of the game. He is shown in the Halo Control Room and Cortana seems okay with going with him. Now, that dialogue might be from later in the campaign because talking to her didn’t work in Halo 5. Why is it working now?

What surprises me is that this doesn’t seem to be an endgame moment at all. Never mind showing us this straight up. The art that they have on news article shows the AI chip glowing in the back of his helmet. So I think this must happen fairly early on in the story.

This has two implications:

- There’s some other conflict to deal with that they’ll introduce. She shouldn’t be a threat once she’s out of the Domain. So who are we fighting?
- Chief doesn’t kill Cortana straight away and seems to end up working with her.

Another alternative is that he can extract part of Cortana from the Domain but not all of it. It makes more sense to me although that could get confusing quickly.

This could play out in two ways:

- Cortana is redeemed (the trailer seems to imply this IMO)
- Cortana is still evil but Chief needs her to deal with another threat
Too soon to say, really. These aren't story trailers, so it's hard to infer information from them that can definitely applied to the game. Besides, Halo 5's market wasn't exactly in line with it's game counterpart, so who knows?
There’s a chance that the scene we see in the trailer isn’t fully accurate, for the record. Who knows, you’re probably right with one of your predictions.
Too soon to say, really. These aren't story trailers, so it's hard to infer information from them that can definitely applied to the game. Besides, Halo 5's market wasn't exactly in line with it's game counterpart, so who knows?
Yeah but there they were actively trying to avoid mentioning it was about “Cortana goes Daenerys”. Here, I assumed they might play that down or talk around it if they wanted to be disingenuous. That certainly doesn’t seem to be the case at all.
Im calling it now. A shard I'd cortana was left in, say, installation 04's index room and will be used to rebuild her or as a backup
Im calling it now. A shard I'd cortana was left in, say, installation 04's index room and will be used to rebuild her or as a backup
We must destroy the Cortana Horcruxs.
I think this is meant to be Zeta Halo. Cortana does have a rebuilt 04 Halo ring but it will have been fresh forged at the Ark.

I guess that also means she must control multiple Halo rings since the humans have attacked Zeta Halo and would only have done that if she controlled it.

That could also explain why a blow which destroyed 04 with the Pillar didn’t work on this larger ring world.
I think this is meant to be Zeta Halo. Cortana does have a rebuilt 04 Halo ring but it will have been fresh forged at the Ark.

I guess that also means she must control multiple Halo rings since the humans have attacked Zeta Halo and would only have done that if she controlled it.

That could also explain why a blow which destroyed 04 with the Pillar didn’t work on this larger ring world.
Still...you get the idea
Why does it have to be from the campaign? Could just be a memory or something to generate hype and nostalgia, given it's similarities to Halo 3's opening cutscene. Halo 3's starry night trailer had stuff that obviously didn't make it into the campaign as well.
Why does it have to be from the campaign? Could just be a memory or something to generate hype and nostalgia, given it's similarities to Halo 3's opening cutscene. Halo 3's starry night trailer had stuff that obviously didn't make it into the campaign as well.
Yeah but this is the second trailer suggesting Chief and Cortana reunite. Plus it seems set in the present.

A lot might change. Maybe there’s a prologue where we see this assault on the Ringworld. I do recall one of the lore videos they did where one of the 343 guys mentioned that the Halo rings are meant to have weapons platforms on them (insert grin). So I m guessing we might see the good guys get pounded.

I agree they are going for feels and some scenes may not happen quite like that. The bit where he’s walking into the Control Room will likely be under different circumstances.
There are still likely nuggets of the story hidden in it though. Like How Halo 5's story never had MC walking through a desert in a poncho and then a giant guardian attacks him. The Poncho did not happen nor the sandy dessert. But we did get the Guardians and the return of Cortana, like the chip implied. So maybe the story will have something to do with Chief finding and reclaiming Cortana even if it does not happen 100% this way.
My thoughts too. The trailer made it seem like he pulled out the chip to retrieve her and the hologram imploding into a single, small, spherical light implies that’s Cortana.
We'll have to wait and see more of what they reveal about some story line. A lot of clues lead to certain assumptions, but that was made with Halo 5 trailers as well and they were completely off of what we thought.
I am a little surprised. When I saw last years trailer I was pretty sure it wasn’t the actual Cortana in the Domain. But this trailer makes it certainly seem that’s the case.

Chief has a containment unit with no AI in it at what looks to be the start of the game. He is shown in the Halo Control Room and Cortana seems okay with going with him. Now, that dialogue might be from later in the campaign because talking to her didn’t work in Halo 5. Why is it working now?

What surprises me is that this doesn’t seem to be an endgame moment at all. Never mind showing us this straight up. The art that they have on news article shows the AI chip glowing in the back of his helmet. So I think this must happen fairly early on in the story.

- There’s some other conflict to deal with that they’ll introduce. She shouldn’t be a threat once she’s out of the Domain. So who are we fighting?
- Chief doesn’t kill Cortana straight away and seems to end up working with her.

Another alternative is that he can extract part of Cortana from the Domain but not all of it. It makes more sense to me although that could get confusing quickly.

How does anything in The trailer make it seem like Cortana is redeemed or even with him?
I mean... how do we know 100% it was evil Cortana? A.I. can take any form so why couldn't another advanced one mimic her?

How does anything in The trailer make it seem like Cortana is redeemed or even with him?
In the E3 2018 trailer you see Chief put a blue chip in the back of his head. Some ambivalence there.

In this trailer it ends with him walking towards Cortana as she monologues about how she chose him and they were meant to be perfect “together”. Whilst he takes the “Containment device” out and his head is framed in her blue light.

So she clearly is with him at some and in some capacity during the campaign.

That he doesn’t immediately destroy the chip is telling in of itself. That means the Chief either has or believes he can save Cortana. Otherwise he would just destroy her.

As for redeem. Well, general tone. It’s certainly playing on the feels by reminding you via the music and what she says to when she was a good girl who wasn’t interested in ruling the galaxy with an iron fist. Why do that if they are going “duty is the Death of love” on us? Then you would expect them to be shoving all the bad things she’s done in your face and having her make big speeches to her armies.

It could just be an alliance of convenience. Maybe he can’t contain all of Cortana but gets a shard of her with him.
Pluto70 wrote:
I mean... how do we know 100% it was evil Cortana? A.I. can take any form so why couldn't another advanced one mimic her?
She briefly uses that big glowing sphere form in Halo 5.

Plus she’s talking in a slightly booming god like voice; which I take to mean its the one in the Domain.

Plus if the Halo wrecked the UNSC fleet then it must have been controlled by her and she is in its control room. Destroying UNSC ships is something evil Cortana would do.
Pluto70 wrote:

Plus she’s talking in a slightly booming god like voice; which I take to mean its the one in the Domain.

Plus if the Halo wrecked the UNSC fleet then it must have been controlled by her and she is in its control room. Destroying UNSC ships is something evil Cortana would do.
Yeah, I just really disliked the lazy writing of making her evil and a villain. I'd take almost anything to retcon that now.
Pluto70 wrote:
Pluto70 wrote:

Yeah, I just really disliked the lazy writing of making her evil and a villain. I'd take almost anything to retcon that now.
I don’t think she was ever meant to stay a villain. That I think is simply a way of adding drama and conflict to making her powerful enough to fight the Flood ala Offensive Bias.
Pluto70 wrote:
Pluto70 wrote:

I don’t think she was ever meant to stay a villain. That I think is simply a way of adding drama and conflict to making her powerful enough to fight the Flood ala Offensive Bias.
I would be ok if she become more of a tentatively passive 3rd party like the Arbiter. Not and enemy but wont go really out of the way to help unless a big reason or ask from a trusted liaison (a.k.a) Master Chief.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2