Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Cortana in the new trailer

OP total war1402

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I am a little surprised. When I saw last years trailer I was pretty sure it wasn’t the actual Cortana in the Domain. But this trailer makes it certainly seem that’s the case.

Chief has a containment unit with no AI in it at what looks to be the start of the game. He is shown in the Halo Control Room and Cortana seems okay with going with him. Now, that dialogue might be from later in the campaign because talking to her didn’t work in Halo 5. Why is it working now?

What surprises me is that this doesn’t seem to be an endgame moment at all. Never mind showing us this straight up. The art that they have on news article shows the AI chip glowing in the back of his helmet. So I think this must happen fairly early on in the story.

This has two implications:

- There’s some other conflict to deal with that they’ll introduce. She shouldn’t be a threat once she’s out of the Domain. So who are we fighting?
- Chief doesn’t kill Cortana straight away and seems to end up working with her.

Another alternative is that he can extract part of Cortana from the Domain but not all of it. It makes more sense to me although that could get confusing quickly.

This could play out in two ways:

- Cortana is redeemed (the trailer seems to imply this IMO)
- Cortana is still evil but Chief needs her to deal with another threat
How does anything in The trailer make it seem like Cortana is redeemed or even with him?
In the E3 2018 trailer you see Chief put a blue chip in the back of his head. Some ambivalence there.

In this trailer it ends with him walking towards Cortana as she monologues about how she chose him and they were meant to be perfect “together”. Whilst he takes the “Containment device” out and his head is framed in her blue light.

So she clearly is with him at some and in some capacity during the campaign.

That he doesn’t immediately destroy the chip is telling in of itself. That means the Chief either has or believes he can save Cortana. Otherwise he would just destroy her.

As for redeem. Well, general tone. It’s certainly playing on the feels by reminding you via the music and what she says to when she was a good girl who wasn’t interested in ruling the galaxy with an iron fist. Why do that if they are going “duty is the Death of love” on us? Then you would expect them to be shoving all the bad things she’s done in your face and having her make big speeches to her armies.

It could just be an alliance of convenience. Maybe he can’t contain all of Cortana but gets a shard of her with him.
You do not see her,you see him walking towards a blue light and that's all
@perserverance23

Its very strongly associated with her. It’s also a call back to the Control Room mission in Halo CE where she appears.

Why would they they just show Chief walking towards a random blue light bulb? I don’t think he would be taking the AI containment unit out unless he needed it. Like you know, if an AI was in the room.
Uhm...people started doubting when we said Cortana was still alive during the lead up to halo 5.

"LOLZ you guys are idiots, frankie said she is dead. She is dead, you just want your blue waifu"

What are they to say now?

Cortana is coming back (thank freaking god)
Too soon to say, really. These aren't story trailers, so it's hard to infer information from them that can definitely applied to the game. Besides, Halo 5's market wasn't exactly in line with it's game counterpart, so who knows?
You're right by saying it's not a story trailer. It's a teaser. It wouldn't be the first time that something we see in a trailer isn't what ends up in the game. One could say deceiving but time will tell.
Too soon to say, really. These aren't story trailers, so it's hard to infer information from them that can definitely applied to the game. Besides, Halo 5's market wasn't exactly in line with it's game counterpart, so who knows?
You're right by saying it's not a story trailer. It's a teaser. It wouldn't be the first time that something we see in a trailer isn't what ends up in the game. One could say deceiving but time will tell.
Still waiting on Chief in that poncho...
Still waiting on Chief in that poncho...
Exactly! Perfect example
Who knows the things Cortana's saying at the end of the trailer aren't a simple "flashback-quotes", like back in H3?
that was a story trailer and Chris lee in a interview at e3 said that chief and Cortana will "reconnect" what he means by that I have no idea only time will tell at this point since we don't know much about the story at this point in time hopefully it stays that way so we aren't spoiled but more info also would be nice
SMOK69KMK wrote:
Who knows the things Cortana's saying at the end of the trailer aren't a simple "flashback-quotes", like back in H3?
Yeah, I think so too, the echoy voice especially, it made it sound like Chief is hearing Cortana in his head.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2