Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Cortana's role in Infinite

OP TRUe REDEMPTI0N

When it comes to the stuff we've seen of Cortana in Infinite, we've seen very little of her. The most we've gotten is her talking to John at the end of the Discover Hope trailer last year, the secret audio found shortly after that. We saw and even heard nothing of her during the July showcase either. This makes me wonder how much she will have in Infinite's launch Campaign. HiddenXperia said in his video about content creator Q&A with 343 that apparently they've said Cortana won't be present earlier in the Campaign. This is interesting to me, especially with apparently this Campaign being the ending to the Reclaimer Saga (source here). So I think there are a few possibilities I see her role going. I think that Cortana and Created forces won't be mentioned or seen at all for around halfway through the Campaign, then then they come in, similar to how the Flood made their surprise debut halfway into CE. With this, I think there will be some possibilities as to what type of role she serves in the story. 1st I see is that she and the Created are another enemy faction, having it being UNSC vs Banished vs Created, similar to how in the OT it was UNSC vs Covenant vs Flood. Another possibility I see is that Cortana comes in and offers to assist Chief and others in fighting the Banished, creating this uneasy alliance, with Chief being suspicious of her. This then leads me to wonder what will be her status by the end of the Campaign. The possibilities I see are that either Chief destroys her, and Cortana is dead for good. Other possibilities I see are that either Cortana turns away from her campaign, in a sense becoming good again, partnering with Chief once more, and the other I see is that the evil Cortana we know is defeated, but a new Cortana model is made (as we see the AI chip last year, though it being a weapon containment device is interesting). Earlier on, I was thinking maybe she remains the villain, but is not defeated in this Campaign, but continues on into the next Campaign a few years later. However, with this apparently being the end of the Reclaimer Saga (IGN could be incorrect though), I don't think that'll be the case. These are just a few possibilities I see of Cortana's role in Infinite's launch Campaign. What'd you think, would love to see your ideas.
I have always thought that the Chief would be grudgingly paired with another Cortana model like she predicted in Halo 4 ("They'll pair you with another AI. Maybe even another Cortana model if Halsey lets them"). This would explain what we heard when Cortana also says that something "is new yet feels familiar". And the technology to create another model could be what Blue Team was sent down to retrieve on Reach, the planet where Cortana was created, in Halo: Shadows of Reach.

I may be looking too much into it but from what I can see the pieces kinda fit.
Hard to say really. I hope she has a significant role
I have always thought that the Chief would be grudgingly paired with another Cortana model like she predicted in Halo 4 ("They'll pair you with another AI. Maybe even another Cortana model if Halsey lets them"). This would explain what we heard when Cortana also says that something "is new yet feels familiar". And the technology to create another model could be what Blue Team was sent down to retrieve on Reach, the planet where Cortana was created, in Halo: Shadows of Reach.

I may be looking too much into it but from what I can see the pieces kinda fit.
Would make sense tbh
Considering the disastrous defeat the UNSC suffered in the previous battle and even leaving John in that survival mode form in his armor, I can imagine the campaign going along the lines of the Banished eventually becoming more overwhelming for John as time goes on. He continues fighting despite the losing odds and eventually Cortana and the Created come in and turn the tide in the favor of the UNSC for another close call victory, similar to how the flood did for them in Halo Combat Evolved.
I’m actually really excited to see how they handle her. As underwhelming as Halo 5’s story has been for me, there’s a ton of potential for a storyline about taking her down (or even saving her).
I'm hoping they redeem her character in Infinite.
Same I hope she's good cortana again
I don't see Cortana being a companion to Chief (even a new version) until the Pilot has died. We only need one voice in our head at a time. If "Good Cortana" shows up, I fear for the Pilot's safety. Otherwise, I'd see Cortana and the Created coming along halfway through like the Flood did.