Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Cross Play Competitive - How it could work

OP Demoralisor

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Given the potential cross play has to revitalise the Halo scene there is the question of what platform competitive/ranked MM Halo will end up on.

Having read and heard many people wondering whether to make the switch to PC or to stay on Xbox as they are unsure where competitive Halo will end up I thought this would be a good topic to discuss.

The best possible outcome I believe is to allow players from both Xbox and PC to compete but make it controller only. The other option is to go full cross play and allow M&K to play against controllers. The balancing of this however might not be possible without one of the inputs having a clear advantage.

I was just wondering what PC players thought’s are on this? I don’t believe splitting PC and Xbox into 2 scenes will be good in the long run and this allows players from both to play together. which is so important for the scene to remain strong throughout the game’s lifespan. In the last few Halo games population numbers and retention has been a huge issue so keeping everyone together would have a massive impact.

Thoughts?
If it's cross plat, and both perform without much of an "edge" over the other then it will just be cross plat competitions, similar to Fortnite. PC players playing against console. Should be a matter of preference.

With this being the mack daddy of FPS games I'm interested as well to see if console offers a better experience than PC. For example, Fortnite has a bit of aim assist for console players that is not there on PC...however PC is "easier" to build on, even though it's a challenge on both. I think aim assist is going to be a huge deal for Halo honestly but we'll see.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
They can't beat those cheaters asap.
If it's cross plat, and both perform without much of an "edge" over the other then it will just be cross plat competitions, similar to Fortnite. PC players playing against console. Should be a matter of preference.

With this being the mack daddy of FPS games I'm interested as well to see if console offers a better experience than PC. For example, Fortnite has a bit of aim assist for console players that is not there on PC...however PC is "easier" to build on, even though it's a challenge on both. I think aim assist is going to be a huge deal for Halo honestly but we'll see.
That would be the outright best possible option but not sure how feasible it is to have a fair playing field. I know some PC players use a controller just because they are better at it and can still outperform M&K players but then again playing on a controller is normally a major disadvantage in most games. I assume balancing the two inputs to prevent a clear advantage on one of them would be very complicated.
The best possible outcome I believe is to allow players from both Xbox and PC to compete but make it controller only. The other option is to go full cross play and allow M&K to play against controllers. The balancing of this however might not be possible without one of the inputs having a clear advantage.

Thoughts?
There's also the possibility of KB and M on console. Microsoft are happy to allow developers the option to include KB and M support if they want to, and there are games like Warframe where this is being tested. I'm definitley staying on console, but I like the idea of KB and M support. Some games will really benefit from it imo, especially games like Warhammer Inquisitor Martyr and Halo Wars. It could also be an option for ranked mm in Halo.
eviltedi wrote:

Thoughts?
There's also the possibility of KB and M on console. Microsoft are happy to allow developers the option to include KB and M support if they want to, and there are games like Warframe where this is being tested. I'm definitley staying on console, but I like the idea of KB and M support. Some games will really benefit from it imo, especially games like Warhammer Inquisitor Martyr and Halo Wars. It could also be an option for ranked mm in Halo.
Not sure why anyone would M&K on Xbox since you would have way better specs and tech on PC, but of course if people want to do that then they should be able to. The less restraints players have with how they want to play the better but 343 just have to allow everyone to play with each other so we don’t end up with a split community.
eviltedi wrote:

Thoughts?
Not sure why anyone would M&K on Xbox since you would have way better specs and tech on PC, but of course if people want to do that then they should be able to. The less restraints players have with how they want to play the better but 343 just have to allow everyone to play with each other so we don’t end up with a split community.
I just told you why I would like KB and M on console, some games would benefit from it, this is not about specs, controllers limit input options, KB and M does not. Also, Microsoft has endorsed it, and there's a deal in place with Razer for compatable KB and M. If the developers allow it in the games they make it's a win for everyone imo.
Honestly I want to see the mechanics first before I make an assumption of how much an advantage PC players will have. Examples are like Black ops 4 regular multiplayer. A controller can stand toe and toe. Something like siege? Controller has no chance. So it varies between games and until infinite comes out with a beta no one is going to know
The new Call of Duty is doing cross-play, and I think their solution is good. They allow mouse and keyboard support on console, and matchmaking is based on whatever peripheral players are using. So players using controllers on either PC or console will be matched with other players using controllers, and mouse and keyboard players will be matched with other mouse and keyboard players.

The only thing I would add is that there should be a "cross-peripheral" option to match with players using a different control method who also have that option selected. For instance, if you're using a controller, and have said option selected, the game would match you with either a group of other controller players like usual, or a group made up of both controller and mouse and keyboard players that also have that option selected, but again, only if all of those other players have that option selected.

As for custom games, the host would have three options for what peripherals to allow into their lobby; "controller only", "mouse and keyboard only", and "allow all". Assuming Infinite will have a Custom Games browser, you'll be able to see all available lobbies regardless of which peripheral you're using to search, and can see which of these options the host has selected in addition to the map, game-type, and Custom Game settings they're using. This way if you're playing with a mouse and keyboard, but have access to a controller as well, you can see everything available, and if there's a "controller only" match that has map and game-type settings you like, you can switch over to a controller to join.

EDIT: On second thought, perhaps "cross peripheral" matchmaking should be the default, and there should be an option you have to select to only match with players using your control method. There's a case to be made for either, or neither for that matter. I'm just giving suggestions. Feel free to disagree.
jmandude15 wrote:
The new Call of Duty is doing cross-play, and I think their solution is good. They allow mouse and keyboard support on console, and matchmaking is based on whatever peripheral players are using. So players using controllers on either PC or console will be matched with other players using controllers, and mouse and keyboard players will be matched with other mouse and keyboard players.

The only thing I would add is that there should be a "cross-peripheral" option to match with players using a different control method who also have that option selected. For instance, if you're using a controller, and have said option selected, the game would match you with either a group of other controller players like usual, or a group made up of both controller and keyboard and mouse players that also have that option selected, but again, only if all of those other players have that option selected.
This is what I don’t want. The more the community is split up, over time this can have some severe implications with regards to matchmaking. If the game is balanced on both inputs there shouldn’t be a reason to split the communities. The game would be way better off if everyone searching can match everyone searching. The last 3 years Halo has suffered from a lack of population so having cross play could work wonders here. Why wouldn’t you want super fast search times and being able to play heaps of different people rather than matching the same people over and over again?
jmandude15 wrote:

The only thing I would add is that there should be a "cross-peripheral" option to match with players using a different control method who also have that option selected. For instance, if you're using a controller, and have said option selected, the game would match you with either a group of other controller players like usual, or a group made up of both controller and keyboard and mouse players that also have that option selected, but again, only if all of those other players have that option selected.
This is what I don’t want. The more the community is split up, over time this can have some severe implications with regards to matchmaking. If the game is balanced on both inputs there shouldn’t be a reason to split the communities. The game would be way better off if everyone searching can match everyone searching. The last 3 years Halo has suffered from a lack of population so having cross play could work wonders here. Why wouldn’t you want super fast search times and being able to play heaps of different people rather than matching the same people over and over again?
That being said the game HAS to be balanced across the inputs for this to work. As Onyx said controller CoD can match up with PC I just hope 343 are looking at making the 2 as close as possible so this can be a thing for Infinite.
jmandude15 wrote:

That's why I said to have an option to match with players using both control options. On second thought, perhaps that should actually be the default setting, and there should be an option to match only with players using your control method, rather than the other way around. I feel it's important for that to be an option at least, as the two ways of playing will never be completely equal. It's something that will always be subjective. Either console players will complain about PC players having an advantage due to increased aiming accuracy with a mouse and keyboard, or PC players will complain about console players having an advantage due to aim assist.
jmandude15 wrote:
jmandude15 wrote:

That's why I said to have an option to match with players using both control options. On second thought, perhaps that should actually be the default setting, and there should be an option to match only with players using your control method, rather than the other way around. I feel it's important for that to be an option at least, as the two ways of playing will never be completely equal. It's something that will always be subjective. Either console players will complain about PC players having an advantage due to increased aiming accuracy with a mouse and keyboard, or PC players will complain about console players having an advantage due to aim assist.
Yeah I know but having the option in the first place is what worries me as I think it will just snowball from there (ie no one will have cross play enabled). The best thing we can hope for is a balance between the two and there won’t be a need for it.

If in the end one input does have an edge on the other I just think players will have to decide what platform they want to play on and stick with it as I don’t think there will be enough players to have 2 separate player bases. I can’t imagine Halo right now but split into 2. You wouldn’t be able to get a game in anything... :/
jmandude15 wrote:
jmandude15 wrote:

Yeah I know but having the option in the first place is what worries me as I think it will just snowball from there (ie no one will have cross play enabled). The best thing we can hope for is a balance between the two and there won’t be a need for it.

If in the end one input does have an edge on the other I just think players will have to decide what platform they want to play on and stick with it as I don’t think there will be enough players to have 2 separate player bases. I can’t imagine Halo right now but split into 2. You wouldn’t be able to get a game in anything... :/
I get what you're saying. This may wind up being something where there is no perfect solution. If they do end up going the route of matching all players together regardless of control method however, they should make sure all control methods are supported on all platforms. Otherwise console players may feel like they're at a permanent disadvantage.
If there's crossplay you should be able to enable/disable it and if enabled it should search for players with the same input method first before matching you with different ones.
Halo being available on a bigger and potentially more competitive fan base. COD is a large franchise but was never very popular on PC. I think cross-play should allowed in all multiplayer modes. Halo also wouldn’t have a split player-base and resulting in more popularity from both Xbox and PC.

This post has been hidden.

Honestly I want to see the mechanics first before I make an assumption of how much an advantage PC players will have. Examples are like Black ops 4 regular multiplayer. A controller can stand toe and toe. Something like siege? Controller has no chance. So it varies between games and until infinite comes out with a beta no one is going to know
I think I can win in FPS games with a controller over mouse and keybaord players just about any day of the week. RTS games are owned by PC though.
I think I can win in FPS games with a controller over mouse and keybaord players just about any day of the week. RTS games are owned by PC though.
It depends. For Halo I’m confident I can beat the majority of players who use Keyboard and Mouse. But someone who’s top tier? The odds are against me. The only thing that would let me win is better map movement and knowledge. But in terms of a 1v1 fight KB&M holds the advantage
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2