Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Custom armor colors for team matches.

OP Firefly318

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Since I first started playing Halo I have hated being forced to be red or blue unless playing Free For All. Let us use our own colors for team matches. Just outline us green and red like on ODST. We could still tell who our teammates are and who the enemy is AND have our unique colors.
The only draw back might be if someone were trying to be stealthy and the outline would be very noticeable at a distance but you could dim it unless aimed at. Or the enemy could simply not be outlined at all. Only outline allies. What would be really nice is if it weren't spartan vs spartan. Let the other team be brutes or elites. Then there would be no need for team colors at all.
Actually..instead of forcing it on those who don't want it, it could be an option to toggle on or off like how they have it set up now for the halo 3 new cosmetics. Those that would like the classic red and blue experience could just leave it off. I don't think it would be very confusing if only your allies were highlighted. If you don't see green, kill em. It would be worth testing anyways to see how it goes. I've been playing ODST alot and I forgot how much I really liked the HUD.
That would be way to confusing. When I play ranked on halo 3 I need a quick color to keep moving.
Firefly318 wrote:
Since I first started playing Halo I have hated being forced to be red or blue unless playing Free For All. Let us use our own colors for team matches. Just outline us green and red like on ODST. We could still tell who our teammates are and who the enemy is AND have our unique colors.
The only draw back might be if someone were trying to be stealthy and the outline would be very noticeable at a distance but you could dim it unless aimed at. Or the enemy could simply not be outlined at all. Only outline allies. What would be really nice is if it weren't spartan vs spartan. Let the other team be brutes or elites. Then there would be no need for team colors at all.
I was thinking like this would happen. It would be stupid to monetize colors and then not let you use them very often.
I agree with Air Ride, there is a chance that it might be more confusing than not and it would break the experience for most players plus RvB is really iconic and beloved (I mean there was a machinima webseries about it and it was great).
Also there are still ways to have your coatings be visible while playing in some playlist (like Infection, FFA, ...) or with Firefight.
Maybe they could allow that in Forge or custom games, I don't know.

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the idea (I kinda like it), because of my past experience with fps where it's hard to know who is who if you can't see if their name are red, I always shoot on allies by mistake because of the reflex those game gives you and I don't have that problem with Halo.

But it's still a nice idea that could allow you to have your coating visible (well only the higlighting your allies part, not the ennemies) so I'll give you that.
just to confusing, team has this colors in order to make you undestand who' s your friend and who's not in mere fragements of a sec
The only way I could see custom colors working in team games is if they had a system like rocket league. For those who don’t know, you pick your colors for both red and blue team in that game. So red team colors you can pick for your car are shades of orange, yellow, maroon, red, and colors like those. Then blue team has shades of blue, green, purple, etc. That way there’s still a clear red vs blue team set up but people can still customize their colors.
I hope we keep the normal arena color coding system for the standard Halo matches.

What I want to see is an expansion of the use of our custom colors in PvE modes, and whatever new modes they have cooked up. Maybe BtB work with this idea, but I am thinking more on their Warzone/Invasion/ etc... mode that they come up with.
With custom colors, if you are on teams it can be confusing. I think you should be able to have a preset in the menu for blue team and red team, the available colors being lighter and darker shades of blue and red to avoid confusion
Firefly318 wrote:
I respectfully disagree with most of this post sorry
You should be able to set your own colours for the home and away teams. If I want to be gold and the have the enemy show up as bright purple - then go for it.

The colours that I see on my screen have no bearing on what colours anyone else has to see on their screens.

The only awkward bit is the naming convention; eg blue base, red look out, etc. These should be colour neutral; home base, enemy look out...

This would help people who have colour blindness (up to 8% of males have trouble with red)... as well as idiots like me who occasionally get a bit confused if they are red or blue...
Darwi wrote:
You should be able to set your own colours for the home and away teams. If I want to be gold and the have the enemy show up as bright purple - then go for it.

The colours that I see on my screen have no bearing on what colours anyone else has to see on their screens.

The only awkward bit is the naming convention; eg blue base, red look out, etc. These should be colour neutral; home base, enemy look out...

This would help people who have colour blindness (up to 8% of males have trouble with red)... as well as idiots like me who occasionally get a bit confused if they are red or blue...
Wait you get confused as to what color your team is in game? Just look at your hands (Which you can see on and off if you start sprinting) or look at someone who has a teammate tag and see their color, or look on the scoreboard. (Im not making fun of you ive just been practicing advice for those who have trouble with team colors)
xxSPRIFTxx wrote:
Darwi wrote:

Wait you get confused as to what color your team is in game? Just look at your hands (Which you can see on and off if you start sprinting) or look at someone who has a teammate tag and see their color, or look on the scoreboard. (Im not making fun of you ive just been practicing advice for those who have trouble with team colors)
Doesn't happen often... just the occasional bit of friendly fire. :D
Or we could just use the system H2 used. Hopefully with the coating system we will be able to select which pieces change when in teams.
GRNT WRK wrote:
Or we could just use the system H2 used. Hopefully with the coating system we will be able to select which pieces change when in teams.
Unfortunately I don't think this will be the case, but we haven't actually seen the full customization menu yet so I won't say for certain. You do bring up an excellent point though. Assuming 343 keeps the traditional RvB for arena modes, I'm curious as to if the applied coating will 'shift colors' to the respective team color, or if your spartan will just be full red or full blue regardless of any textures, materials, or patterns on your spartan from the coating.

I'm hoping they have some sort of system in place that converts the coatings to a red or blue scheme to retain arena RvB and still have some of your spartan customization present. But, by 343's description of coatings from Inside Infinite - January 2021 I doubt this is the case.
Darwi wrote:

I really like the idea of being able to set how you want your enemies to appear. They could make it to where your team will show their armor customization but then the enemy team is always red or blue or whatever color you want them to be. That way you could show off your cool armor colors to your teammates but then be able to easily recognize the enemy still. I guess it would suck a little to not be able to show off your armor to the enemy you just killed but maybe after the enemy dies and the death camera shows you for a second the default color could switch off so they can see what you look like.

In terms of map callouts, they could just keep the red and blue sides of the map without them changing. So Blue Base would still be blue base even if the team that originally spawned there wasn’t actually blue colored.

I am also glad to meet someone else who occasionally gets confused as to which color they are.
Or, pull a rocket league, and make it so you set 2 different armour colours for the 2 teams.
Eg: you can customise your red team Spartan, but only with shades of red, orange, pink, yellow, black, and white, or your blue team Spartan with shades of blue, green, black, white, purple, etc
prefiero que, este como se lleva actualmente ya que a mi parecer así facilita más el runear a los enemigos 😎
XenobyteZX wrote:
Or, pull a rocket league, and make it so you set 2 different armour colours for the 2 teams.
Eg: you can customise your red team Spartan, but only with shades of red, orange, pink, yellow, black, and white, or your blue team Spartan with shades of blue, green, black, white, purple, etc
Nah no black or white for either one.
If they do it like rocket league, Red Team should just be able to choose Red, Pink, Yellow, Orange (and shade of those colors) and Blue Team should be able to choose Green, Blue, Cyan, Purple (and shade of those colors).

But if it's just Red and Blue and with the coatings being a thing, I think they should make it so every coatings actually have a Red Team and Blue Team variant for when you're in RvB so even if you don't have your coating color, you still have the visual of it. (for exemple the Scorpion Punch armor coating, they could invert the Red and Black for Red Team and change the Red to Blue for Blue Team)

I mean, it could be cool, kinda like a good compromise. maybe?
Firefly318 wrote:
Since I first started playing Halo I have hated being forced to be red or blue unless playing Free For All. Let us use our own colors for team matches.
Same. I've always wanted our own colours for team matches. Other games do it so I don't think it would be a problem... But I don't see them switching from red v blue, I would welcome a change though.
YukiryuFR wrote:
I agree with Air Ride, there is a chance that it might be more confusing than not and it would break the experience for most players plus RvB is really iconic and beloved (I mean there was a machinima webseries about it and it was great).
Also there are still ways to have your coatings be visible while playing in some playlist (like Infection, FFA, ...) or with Firefight.
Maybe they could allow that in Forge or custom games, I don't know.

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the idea (I kinda like it), because of my past experience with fps where it's hard to know who is who if you can't see if their name are red, I always shoot on allies by mistake because of the reflex those game gives you and I don't have that problem with Halo.

But it's still a nice idea that could allow you to have your coating visible (well only the higlighting your allies part, not the ennemies) so I'll give you that.
Actually..instead of forcing it on those who don't want it, it could be an option to toggle on or off like how they have it set up now for the halo 3 new cosmetics. Those that would like the classic red and blue experience could just leave it off. I don't think it would be very confusing if only your allies were highlighted. If you don't see green, kill em. It would be worth testing anyways to see how it goes. I've been playing ODST alot and I forgot how much I really liked the HUD.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2