Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Custom weapon

OP YIFANG JIA117

Will there be custom weapons?
Like installing a sight on AR
Hopefully as a forge/custom games thing. It was really fun to use those overpowered tools of chaos in Halo 5s custom browser. But I personally would keep it away from matchmaking (With the exception of Actionsack) due to it being... ya know a tad bit unbalanced.
I'm not a fan of stuff like that. I've said it before, but I'll add it here: I want an AR to be an AR and a BR to be a BR and so on. The simple sandboxes of the original trilogy have stood the test of time and are still fun to use. Each weapon fits in its own category and has a specific purpose. Even the Covenant weapons functioned differently than their human counterparts.

And as stated above, balancing the sandbox becomes an issue when you throw in attachments and weapon accessories.
I'm not a fan of stuff like that. I've said it before, but I'll add it here: I want an AR to be an AR and a BR to be a BR and so on. The simple sandboxes of the original trilogy have stood the test of time and are still fun to use. Each weapon fits in its own category and has a specific purpose. Even the Covenant weapons functioned differently than their human counterparts.

And as stated above, balancing the sandbox becomes an issue when you throw in attachments and weapon accessories.
This, this, a million times this.

The insanity Warzone introduced in the H5 sandbox just served to create the most over-the-top chaotic multi-player experience imaginable (I understand and acknowledge that this is appealing to its most devout players). Balancing and sandbox mastery are now a pipe dream in a series that used to operate very heavily around the strength of a relatively simple, balanced and iconic sandbox.

Enhanced mobility (rightly or not) catches a ton of flak for messing with design and balancing, but the unchecked expansion of the weapons sandbox is also a strong contributing factor to the reasons that Halo 5 (and to a lesser extent, 4 (and an even lesser extent, Reach)) don't "feel like Halo," to so many longtime players.

I think Warzone found a good middle ground here. There was a small degree of sight customization + a weapon attachment choice (disguised as req variants), but it was contained to only that mode.

It also gave us some cool setups where we make close range capable DMRs or long range BRs. I wasn't a fan of clear advantages though, like the bayonet giving you OHK melees.
Hopefully as a forge/custom games thing. It was really fun to use those overpowered tools of chaos in Halo 5s custom browser. But I personally would keep it away from matchmaking (With the exception of Actionsack) due to it being... ya know a tad bit unbalanced.
I agree. While this sounds fun for customs it would be unbalanced in multiplayer. Imagine one player with recon sights on their AR and another with the COG scope, there is an obvious advantage.
I hope so, that could add a lot to forge maps and custom games. maybe not as some kind of unlock system for multiplayer though, just as something to play with in forge. and maybe warzone if it returns.

Indeed, I feel that the weapons sandbox should resemble Halo 3 or something akin to it, none of that aim stabilizer or see through walls stuff.