2. ...
  3. 8
  4. 9
  5. 10
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. ...
  9. 26
It's a great decision by 343i. I would rather have a great and quality game than a bugged game. Nintendo have delayed Breath of the Wild many times, before them have launched both on Wii U and Switch.

I'm super excited for Halo Infinte! :-)
ApacheWR wrote:
ApacheWR wrote:
Man, this is great for the game.
But this will absolutely -Yoink- the new Xbox. There was already little reason to buy it. Halo available on the Xbox one and PC. All other exclusives coming to PC etc etc
Now the Series X (and S) have little to no reason to be purchased.
I’m an Xbox guy through and through. But damn. They just lost this gen too.
They've lost holiday 2020. Maybe not the generation, if they can recover from this, but all Sony has to do is show a flashy 1st party game (that looks next gen) and they'll clean up.

Its sad because they did it to themselves. Personally, I'm hoping for a Cyberpunk like approach where they polish the living hell out of Infinite until its an actual must play title. But yeah, for this holiday at least, Xbox is kind of screwed.
I just can’t see how Xbox can possibly make up the ground. Ps4 players have little to no reason to jump ship unless the series X and Series S are seriously cheaper than both ps5 models (which the X defo wont be).

I cant see them ever clawing this back.
I don't think they will either, unless there's substantial changes throughout Xbox leadership and priorities. I have a bet with a friend that they'll be out of the console space in 2-3 years (similar to what happened to SEGA) and just doing "services".

I've been an Xbox guy since 2001 and there's been nothing about XSX that looks like its worth a purchase so far. PS4 games have been great from my experience so I'm already on board for PS5, just for the exclusives.
Must of been a really difficult decision to make, as i'm sure some higher ups really wanted this to launch this fall alongside the series X. It's the right decision though.
If they showed off gameplay 2 years ago then it would be ready for this year.
Pushed to 2021To be honest I didn’t think it would get delayed, they seemed pretty adamant on the launch date release. Hoping the team stays healthy and safe.

Keep it clean, constructive, and thoughtful of all parties involved. If you're coming into this topic heated take a deep breath before posting! Thank you all :)
Not really surprising. They were adamant about getting the game done for launch. But Covid and everything has to have caused chaos. If it disrupts my place of work to the extent it did then I can’t imagine what it would do in a far more technical and team based setting. TBH I am surprised either console is out this year.

Has office work not come back yet in the United States?

Id rather they got a good game out and it’s ready when it’s ready.
ra9088 wrote:
Correct decision, the game didnt look anywhere near ready for launch this year.

A delay to 2021 will likely be Q2 2021 at the earliest, an overhaul to the graphical engine will be done and is needed.

However, XSX has now lost Holiday 2020, its simply redundant at this point
They delayed because the game is on fire. A Q2 2021 release only gives them enough time to put out the fire. If the game was just ugly, they wouldn't be delaying the game. If they wanted to make sincere visual changes, and not just the RTX patch which wouldn't have fixed the dull armor design or prevalent Craig issue, it would take a minimum year delay. And when you put it that way, I'd rather wait a year and subsequently abandon this idea that it needs to run at 60 fps for campaign on a 2013 Xbox One. Nobody expects nor wants that. We'd rather have game that's looks 9x better on the other 3 systems.
CofC wrote:
The timetable should have been three years. Then a delay wouldn't have been so bad.

Disagree if you like, but please note whether you actually play halo. Thanks
1. Actually play Halo.

2. 5 year time table is understandable if you're making a new game engine, those things don't pop up over night.
No game should take more than three years.
You can always come up with reasons to disappoint the consumer, but you can never forget who is the most important of this enterprise- the gamer.
A very wise decision.
Avak1827 wrote:
It's absurd that they had 5 years and they needed to still delay it to actually polish and finish it. That said....It absolutely needed it based on what we saw so far. And hey, maybe we'll still get to play it this holiday through a beta or public flight. So yeah, I'm generally positive about it all.
People make mistakes, if they've delayed a game.........it hopefully means 343i are listening to the fans to make a good game instead of a rushed one made just for 'money'.
Plus with the virus epidemic they've been acting like a flight would have been difficult with the way things are so a delay means the dev's can do a 'flight' next year when things settle down.

CofC wrote:
CofC wrote:
You can always come up with reasons to disappoint the consumer, but you can never forget who is the most important of this enterprise- the gamer.
So much of that is wrong. A game can take up to 5-10 years, it's not just a business but an art for a lot of us, many of us 'designers' are also 'gamers' too. Telling us all that we have to rush out a game in 3 years is a bit ridiculous, it's exhausting.
Glad they are delaying but worried for the franchise. Covid wasn't impacting business until 2020. What have they been doing for 5 years? How much were they planning to get done in the last 6 months before release, like 50% of the game? Anyway it's a bad sign for the new console. Seeing no reason at all to buy one.
Right I mean if it is released for the one as well might as well not. I had a full hard drive and I got a cheap xbox used. For 5.5 years this open world better be sick.
5.5 years? Make it 6!

Seriously though, Who said it was just a few months? Hi for marketing reasons alone might as well come out in fall 2021 mate.
Hush your filthy mouth I'm trying to be an optimist over here.

I wonder if the current mood of positivity would change if they just came out and said the release would be holiday 2021. I doubt it will be another year tho.
It's a great decision by 343i. I would rather have a great and quality game than a bugged game. Nintendo have delayed Breath of the Wild many times, before them have launched both on Wii U and Switch.

I'm super excited for Halo Infinte! :-)
Agreed, however comparing Nintendo to MS is not wise, the first party line up that Nintendo has is vastly superior, Nintendo launched the Wii U and Switch with other first party games that MS simply doesn't have.

Halo Infinite was to be the crown jewel on the XSX launch..... its now delayed but XSX is still coming in November with a pretty poor launch line up.

MS has a very weak first party content supply anyway, the fact that Halo wont be ready for the XSX launch will have given the PS5 the holiday crown and more than likley given them the winners cup for next gen considering the standards of Sony's first party studios.
kjbart wrote:
While I'm glad they're taking the time to finish it, it also makes me wonder if they were ready to release it, but then all the negative feedback from the gameplay reveal made them decide to push it back.

They also said COVID would not delay the release, but are now saying it's one of the causes of the delay. Which makes me believe my first statement even more.

Like I said, I'm glad they're not rushing it or releasing it unfinished, but how long have they been working on this game? It honestly sounds like they're going back and making changes due to the negative feedback, and now we have to wait even longer. (Kind of repeated myself there).

I sure hope we at least get a multiplayer beta in the meantime, or some incentive to get the next console at launch, cause without Halo at the console launch date, I'm betting a lot of people will not be purchasing it, myself included.
Knowing 343, they were going to release it even in bad condition and expect to make money off of it because the game is titled Halo.
They are delaying so they can fix the game and let everyone forget about the negative attention, the gameplay trailer got.
I hope 343 really uses the extra time to fix the game and also makes some changes to the game that make it more than just acceptable to release. The gameplay just did not look fun for the campaign. Hopefully multiplayer has no sprint or abilities at launch.
So 343 finally realised that it just wasn’t good enough....I don’t care about the Campaign.
RELEASE The Multiplayer !!!!
The more it gets delayed the more will be expected of it........
I'm a little disappointed, but I completely understand the reason for the delay.

At least I have something to look forward to next year.
The fact that Halo Infinite is in such a horrible state begs the question... what the hell MS studios were doing since 2014? Its not like they were pumping quality games for X1 they couldn't prepare a few for Series X launch?!

Sony has been producing AAA games throughout the gen and yet they are more prepared for next gen.
CofC wrote:
CofC wrote:
The timetable should have been three years. Then a delay wouldn't have been so bad.

Disagree if you like, but please note whether you actually play halo. Thanks
1. Actually play Halo.

2. 5 year time table is understandable if you're making a new game engine, those things don't pop up over night.
Dude, plenty of games have dev cycles longer than 3 years. Anyone who knows anything about game dev can and will tell you that 3 years is about average for most games, especially AAA. And saying that building an entirely new engine from scratch doesn't matter and they should rush development to spit out a half--Yoinked!- game to meet some arbitrary fake consumer demand is the epitome of ridiculousness. Also, they didn't announce the game 5 years ago, they announced it 2 years ago. So if you can't be happy that Microsoft isn't forcing 343 to hardcore crunch so they can be a release title when they have literally every reason to do exactly that, I don't know what to tell you. Go make your own games if you think the professionals arent doing a good enough job. And as requested, yes I've been playing Halo for over 10 years, and it's literally the reason I went and got a degree in game development
Given the state of the game as seen in the Showcase Demo, this is a very justifiable delay. Quite apparently, the current fidelity of the product is well below consumer expectations, and there was a lot of concern about whether or not 343i had adequately accepted the negative feedback and had appropriate answers at hand to implement before launch. In short, I guess they finally are taking the feedback appropriately, and they didn't have plans or fixes for the problems to realistically put in place before the planned holiday launch.

What's extremely disheartening (and a bit relieving simultaneously) to me about this is that it is an implicit admission that the game isn't done- in fact, that it isn't even especially *close* to done. At the tail end of a five year dev cycle, they have only this to show for. That's seriously discouraging, and it makes 343i look pretty inept given the immensity of the time and budget they've had at their disposal in getting this franchise back on track since Halo 5's undeniably underwhelming debut. That's coming from someone who earnestly tries to keep their head on straight in the Pro/Anti 343i argument by heaping them credit where I see that it's due.

In this case, the only credit I can think of for them is that they had the nerves to delay the game, knowing full well how it would make them look, because it needed to be delayed (insert tired Miyamoto quote). There aren't very many exceptionally good excuses for what could have kept a team like 343i from delivering a complete and polished product with a five year development window, new engine or otherwise. Many other devs in the gaming industry at-large, let alone the former stewards of the Halo franchise itself, have done a lot more with a lot less time and money.

Given the issues, I'll again say that I do believe delaying was the only appropriate move at this point in time. But that doesn't alleviate the staggering, eyebrow-raising question of how it took five years for 343i to deliver what we saw at that Showcase. That speaks to a very disappointing lack of direction and drive in the development process, which in conjunction with the delay itself means that the hole of bad vibes 343i has dug themselves into is going to require a seriously impressive Halo experience to redeem them.

With the delay on top of all the other problems, "good enough," simply won't be good enough. Here's hoping they're sitting on something truly remarkable that just needed a bit more spit and shine. If they delay it just for it to be fair to middling? That'll be an insane waste of everyone's time, attention, and money on both the development and consumer side of the equation.

Get it together, 343i, please. I hope mine and everyone else's misgivings about your competence are proven very, very wrong when we (eventually) get Infinite in our hands. In the meantime, you can stand to benefit from some tough love and constructive criticism from fans who've been waiting patiently and rooting for you since Halo 5 and ridden out this polarizing decade of your stewardship of the franchise.
I've read your post twice trying to find anything in it I don't agree with.... I could not.

The delay was the right thing to do, but there are some very good reasons to doubt the competency of 343i and their ability to deliver a Halo experience that this long suffering community deserves. There have been whispers of issues within 343i for years now, all easily dismissed as the prattle of disgruntled employees, however after seeing game play demo at the next gen games showcase, I'm comfortable taking it as confirmation that those issues are true, if not actually worse than reported.

High profile departures as well as high turnover from the rank and file. Issues with the engine, issues between employees and management.

Complete radio silence from 343i since they showed us that initial demo of the Slipspace engine. Switching to a new more powerful set of tools that would allow 343i to deliver a new Halo experience that takes advantage of the new and incredible next gen hardware. It's going to be longer to develop because of this change we were told, but don't worry it will be worth it.

On my Xbox One X I've played Gears 5 and Doom Eternal. Both those games are amazing visually and far better than what 343i showed of Halo Infinite. It was nothing short of a disaster in my humble opinion.
I'm glad to hear it's been delayed. With the pandemic and being forced to work from home rather than the studio has to slow development immensely. I just hope everyone at 343 is keeping healthy and safe. I can't wait to see what they have in store in 2021 😎 keep safe everyone ❤
Avak1827 wrote:
It's absurd that they had 5 years and they needed to still delay it to actually polish and finish it. That said....It absolutely needed it based on what we saw so far. And hey, maybe we'll still get to play it this holiday through a beta or public flight. So yeah, I'm generally positive about it all.
Just for example look at Final Fantasy 15,they also switched to new engine and it took them almost 10 years to finish the game.
ronnie42 wrote:
Avak1827 wrote:
People make mistakes, if they've delayed a game.........it hopefully means 343i are listening to the fans to make a good game instead of a rushed one made just for 'money'.
Plus with the virus epidemic they've been acting like a flight would have been difficult with the way things are so a delay means the dev's can do a 'flight' next year when things settle down.

CofC wrote:
CofC wrote:
So much of that is wrong. A game can take up to 5-10 years, it's not just a business but an art for a lot of us, many of us 'designers' are also 'gamers' too. Telling us all that we have to rush out a game in 3 years is a bit ridiculous, it's exhausting.
Ten years?

Please float that by 343.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 8
  4. 9
  5. 10
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. ...
  9. 26