2. ...
  3. 5
  4. 6
  5. 7
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. ...
  9. 26
On the one hand, I'm pretty disappointed, since COVID means I actually have time to play games because the entire family is stuck at home and I no longer have a commute.

That said, 343 should prioritize its employees' health more than my need for another Halo game. And given the reaction to the gameplay reveal, this game was going to walk into some pretty bad backlash. So, yeah, take your time, make it great. We can wait.

As an aside, I was for the first time planning to buy a console on launch and now.... just not sure I see why I'd do that. To its credit, MS is saying a lot of games will upgrade for free, so I can afford to keep my Xbox One humming for a while. Guess we'll see what else they've got up their sleeves first.
Glad they are delaying but worried for the franchise. Covid wasn't impacting business until 2020. What have they been doing for 5 years? How much were they planning to get done in the last 6 months before release, like 50% of the game? Anyway it's a bad sign for the new console. Seeing no reason at all to buy one.
Axiios wrote:
The game can now have public flights, ray tracing should be in at launch (no reason in Hell it shouldn't be now) & they can take the feedback we've given them & learn from it.
It may make sense to temper these expectations. I doubt the delay is to add more things like flights and features before launch, I imagine 343 is just needing more time to get the base game they want to deliver out.

Basically what I'm recommending is try to expect the same product and features as was planned for release in Holiday 2020.
Axiios wrote:
The game can now have public flights, ray tracing should be in at launch (no reason in Hell it shouldn't be now) & they can take the feedback we've given them & learn from it.
It may make sense to temper these expectations. I doubt the delay is to add more things like flights and features before launch, I imagine 343 is just needing more time to get the base game they want to deliver out.

Basically what I'm recommending is try to expect the same product and features as was planned for release in Holiday 2020.
I do not know man, public betas have been a staple in the Halo franchise since 3 and I feel 343 could benefit from getting players hands-on with a current multiplayer build to get more feedback on the feel of the game.

It would definitely build the hype back up for a solid launch with the delay now and reassure fans on getting the game
Best news in a long time, I can breath! I'm hopeful again. I'll wait as long as it takes. Don't hurry 343
that sounds like the right thing considering. I'd be more willing to get a series x if it at least looks to have benefited the better hardware and this looks should allow for that. That and also allow the team to playtest the -Yoink- out of it
I know it's just a game but I feel a weight off of my shoulders. Thank you 343 it's a great time to be a Halo fan right now. Being able to admit that more time is needed really shows the community you care about the game. My faith has been restored. And any wait past now is surely worth it. Can't wait to see more
Given the state of the game as seen in the Showcase Demo, this is a very justifiable delay. Quite apparently, the current fidelity of the product is well below consumer expectations, and there was a lot of concern about whether or not 343i had adequately accepted the negative feedback and had appropriate answers at hand to implement before launch. In short, I guess they finally are taking the feedback appropriately, and they didn't have plans or fixes for the problems to realistically put in place before the planned holiday launch.

What's extremely disheartening (and a bit relieving simultaneously) to me about this is that it is an implicit admission that the game isn't done- in fact, that it isn't even especially *close* to done. At the tail end of a five year dev cycle, they have only this to show for. That's seriously discouraging, and it makes 343i look pretty inept given the immensity of the time and budget they've had at their disposal in getting this franchise back on track since Halo 5's undeniably underwhelming debut. That's coming from someone who earnestly tries to keep their head on straight in the Pro/Anti 343i argument by heaping them credit where I see that it's due.

In this case, the only credit I can think of for them is that they had the nerves to delay the game, knowing full well how it would make them look, because it needed to be delayed (insert tired Miyamoto quote). There aren't very many exceptionally good excuses for what could have kept a team like 343i from delivering a complete and polished product with a five year development window, new engine or otherwise. Many other devs in the gaming industry at-large, let alone the former stewards of the Halo franchise itself, have done a lot more with a lot less time and money.

Given the issues, I'll again say that I do believe delaying was the only appropriate move at this point in time. But that doesn't alleviate the staggering, eyebrow-raising question of how it took five years for 343i to deliver what we saw at that Showcase. That speaks to a very disappointing lack of direction and drive in the development process, which in conjunction with the delay itself means that the hole of bad vibes 343i has dug themselves into is going to require a seriously impressive Halo experience to redeem them.

With the delay on top of all the other problems, "good enough," simply won't be good enough. Here's hoping they're sitting on something truly remarkable that just needed a bit more spit and shine. If they delay it just for it to be fair to middling? That'll be an insane waste of everyone's time, attention, and money on both the development and consumer side of the equation.

Get it together, 343i, please. I hope mine and everyone else's misgivings about your competence are proven very, very wrong when we (eventually) get Infinite in our hands. In the meantime, you can stand to benefit from some tough love and constructive criticism from fans who've been waiting patiently and rooting for you since Halo 5 and ridden out this polarizing decade of your stewardship of the franchise.
Axiios wrote:

To clarify: Are you saying that we should temper our expectations towards 2 things that they've already promised would be present in the game?

Ray tracing & Public Flighting...?

I just want to understand how I should be tempering expectations around things that were spoken as such things to be expected.
Glad they are delaying but worried for the franchise. Covid wasn't impacting business until 2020. What have they been doing for 5 years? How much were they planning to get done in the last 6 months before release, like 50% of the game? Anyway it's a bad sign for the new console. Seeing no reason at all to buy one.
I do feel like something went seriously awry in five years. The cycle for Halo games was previously three years. I'd assumed that the extra two years were needed because new graphics engine, but felt like it should have been further along. But what do I know about game development?
After learning the demo was 2 weeks old, I thought a delay was a definite possibility, but didn’t think it would happen. But I’m glad they are not rushing it out this fall.

I’m actually relieved, I was afraid Microsoft would force them to release a half-finished product. Now we can look forward to a quality game in 2021.

that said, the Series X has no heavy hitting launch titles now. Guess I can save my money and buy it in 2021 with Infinite.
Even if Halo Infinite wasn't delayed the Series X wouldn't have any heavy hitting launch titles. The damage caused to the brand by releasing another unfinished game would be worse for the Xbox brand than delaying it.

I remember back in 2005 Gears of War was a heavily hyped Xbox 360 exclusive. It was supposed to launch with the console or very soon after. The game just wasn't ready, Epic made the decision to delay the game a year. It was the right decision, the game turned out very well and ended up being a huge system seller.
Axiios wrote:

Feature creep is a huge danger in these situations as is second guessing every decision.

All else aside, whatever launches must be flawless.
Ah well, this gives me more time to complete those LASO playlists. More development time is always a good thing as long as you aren't called 3D Realms.
Thanks to the entire 343 Industries team for listening, keep up the hard work. There are little things here in the forums that many of us would like to see in Halo Infinite and this is the perfect opportunity to add them. I wish you all the best!
This delay is great for both the game and the developers in my opinion.
Awesome... Now i've 5 weeks holiday in the last two months of this year without a Series X or Halo...
Yess THANK YOU Halo Gods!!!Now 343 get your -Yoink- together and let's win Game of the Year 2021😀
While I personally thought the demo looked fine (it got me pretty excited for the game), I won’t complain about it being delayed. That usually means a better game in the end. In the meantime, MCC PC will easily satisfy my desire for playing Halo. Maybe this will also mean Halo 5 PC can happen prior to Infinite’s launch. Anyway, I am surprised that Microsoft allowed this. Having the next Halo for the next Xbox at launch was always going to be the big selling point. Now? Honestly neither PS5 nor Xbox Series X seem to have any compelling reason to want to own them at launch. I guess Microsoft must figure after the backlash over Halo 5, they really want to make sure Halo Infinite is done right, and done right at launch. It’s unusual to see a company thinking more long-term like that.
Isn’t this the longest time between games they ever had? Shouldn’t they had been at the point of just cleaning up a few loose ends? If they didn’t have it right after all this time what makes you think they will later? They’re listening to the fans now? Shouldn’t they already been doing that? My guess is they delayed it because of everybody complaining about the demo. Well good job now we can play halo 3 longer on that abomination MCC and that’s what most everyone wanted apparently.
That was kind of unexpected...

They say it's because of COVID of course but I think we all know the real (additional) reasons:

A: The backlash
B: Which would mean insane crunch time to November and then a few in depth articles on Kotaku describing how horrible it was working for 343i.

And I think that backlash (B) would be bad for 343i and MS in the long run. So I get why they try to position this as a move to show how good of an employer they are. Makes sense. And then add some COVID on top. This game would've never launched properly in November.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 5
  4. 6
  5. 7
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. ...
  9. 26