Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Different HUDs

OP Derrick0222

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I like the idea, but a potential problem could come from having a helmet that you like having a HUD that you don’t.

A solution could be to have the HUD as it’s on customisable option. You could unlock new ‘themes’ that chan the colour, design and layout of the HID’s items.
This, I think that a customizable HUD would be the best option. ODST had a yellow HUD, instead of the standard blue color.
Sounds cool, but if it comes to a decision between a good armor customization or having HUD customization. HUD is going down.
One of the few things I really like about Halo 4 and 5, is the ability to see the inside of your helmet during campaign. I really hope it comes back. At least as an option. I'd even go crazy and add the option to all of the MCC games too.
While it would be cool from a style-perspective to have different HUDs, it would actually make more sense for a military to have a standardized system across all Spartan units. Granted you have highly specialized helmets that may require specialized HUDs, but most of them would do fine with the standard layout.

From a developer perspective, that would be a lot of work for something that would ultimately just be cosmetic.
they don’t have to go all out, it could just be a few custom options and their you go.
I'm willing to compromise. If we had like three options each for weapon skins and HUDs, I'd be totally fine with that. So long as they don't break from the original aesthetic of Halo as a military-focused sci-fi shooter. I love the unicorn motif at 343 (and the history behind it)... I don't love seeing seven foot tall murder gods waltzing around with unicorns painted on their guns. It breaks the immersion for me, and I feel like the lack of excitement for 343 era games as compared to previous installments that embraced a more serious aesthetic suggests that I'm not alone in that sentiment.
But skins aren’t in the campaign...
Whether it's campaign usable or just something found in MP is irrelevant to my point. I don't like the explosion of color we've received in the Halo aesthetic since 343 took over. That includes stuff like weapon skins. I'm not a 343 hater, and I've made my "milquetoast fence sitter" position on 343 pretty clear in previous posts on the topic. But I will say that 343 has dropped the ball imo on this particular issue.

It's a game about a futuristic military that fights off a purple alien menace. The purple alien menace can have all the goofy colors they want, but the utilitarian humans should stick to muted tones. To quote Thor in Ragnarok:
Quote:
Fine. Stay here. Stupid place. It's hideous, by the way. Just pick a color! Ridiculous.
While it would be cool from a style-perspective to have different HUDs, it would actually make more sense for a military to have a standardized system across all Spartan units. Granted you have highly specialized helmets that may require specialized HUDs, but most of them would do fine with the standard layout.

From a developer perspective, that would be a lot of work for something that would ultimately just be cosmetic.
they don’t have to go all out, it could just be a few custom options and their you go.
I'm willing to compromise. If we had like three options each for weapon skins and HUDs, I'd be totally fine with that. So long as they don't break from the original aesthetic of Halo as a military-focused sci-fi shooter. I love the unicorn motif at 343 (and the history behind it)... I don't love seeing seven foot tall murder gods waltzing around with unicorns painted on their guns. It breaks the immersion for me, and I feel like the lack of excitement for 343 era games as compared to previous installments that embraced a more serious aesthetic suggests that I'm not alone in that sentiment.
Whether it's campaign usable or just something found in MP is irrelevant to my point. I don't like the explosion of color we've received in the Halo aesthetic since 343 took over. That includes stuff like weapon skins. I'm not a 343 hater, and I've made my "milquetoast fence sitter" position on 343 pretty clear in previous posts on the topic. But I will say that 343 has dropped the ball imo on this particular issue.

It's a game about a futuristic military that fights off a purple alien menace. The purple alien menace can have all the goofy colors they want, but the utilitarian humans should stick to muted tones. To quote Thor in Ragnarok:
Quote:
Fine. Stay here. Stupid place. It's hideous, by the way. Just pick a color! Ridiculous.
But you can't even SEE another Player's HUD while you're actively playing a Game unless you're looking at a Live Perspective of a Person Broadcasting the Game through another Medium at the same time you are playing them.

How does letting Players Customize their own Personal HUD Preferences for accessibility purposes, which only they can see for the most part, affect you when you're too busy trying to stay alive while in the middle of looking at your own HUD during a Match or Game?
Jakato wrote:

Quote:
But you can't even SEE another Player's HUD while you're actively playing a Game unless you're looking at a Live Perspective of a Person Broadcasting the Game through another Medium at the same time you are playing them.

How does letting Players Customize their own Personal HUD Preferences for accessibility purposes, which only they can see for the most part, affect you when you're too busy trying to stay alive while in the middle of looking at your own HUD during a Match or Game?
It doesn't affect me at all. I'm speaking more to the general issue I have with the fact that Halo has gotten so far from it's original premise that it's getting harder and harder to see the connection between CE and the current aesthetic. Thankfully Infinite looks to be returning more to Halo's roots.
Hopefully this is something they plan to include. I was really enjoying the alpha/beta game play (graphics looked okay to me). But the HUD really looked weird to me. It be cool if they just add a color picker/slider like emblems and armor. Also be cool to see an option in settings to disable HUD.

Quote:
But again, I was talking about the game modes where that same military is fighting itself.
I like the idea, but a potential problem could come from having a helmet that you like having a HUD that you don’t.

A solution could be to have the HUD as it’s on customisable option. You could unlock new ‘themes’ that chan the colour, design and layout of the HID’s items.
This would be great! I like red visors with black armor but the inside just shows the hud as blue. Being able to change the colors of the hud would be a great feature.

To be fair, Spartans and Elites in multiplayer were never intended to be lore until H4 (and technically Reach Campaign), so any customization needing to strictly follow military protocol isn't always a lot of fun for players.

I'm looking at all the bright pink Hayabusa Spartans out there. The UNSC would never ever under any circumstance allow those guys to rush into battle, yet multiplayer allows it very liberally.

Quote:
But again, I was talking about the game modes where that same military is fighting itself.
So I suppose I can compromise on that. The MP color palette is fine because it's necessary in order to differentiate players and teams. Militaries actually have done something similar to this in war games scenarios in order to differentiate friendlies from enemies during a war game.
sniper945 wrote:

To be fair, Spartans and Elites in multiplayer were never intended to be lore until H4 (and technically Reach Campaign), so any customization needing to strictly follow military protocol isn't always a lot of fun for players.

I'm looking at all the bright pink Hayabusa Spartans out there. The UNSC would never ever under any circumstance allow those guys to rush into battle, yet multiplayer allows it very liberally.
So your telling me my hot pink shredder cosplaying spartan would not be charging into battle guns-a-blazing. Mesa very sad.
A customizable visor HUD actually sounds really cool. It adds another layer of identity for someone's MP Spartan, and maybe you could change around UI elements to suit your own personal preferences. You could maybe change the color and have a small selection of varied visor "styles" you could pick from.

Just don't count on it. A customizable visor, as cool as it sounds, also sounds like a reaaalllly small niche that 343 probably doesn't have in mind. Different visors were introduced in 5's Campaign alone because of the nature of that Campaign, and given the general contention with that title, I don't think its really an idea 343 looked at and decided to go with. If anything, I feel like customizable visors would be on the backburner of customization options they'd be providing to players.

Sooo...yeah, just don't have an expectation for customizable visors. But hey if I get to have a rainbow HUD while I make a zombie a new hole sure, I'll happily be wrong
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2