Do NOT bring back the Halo 2 Anniversary Elites

OP MinusSquire2145

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
If you like the Halo 2 Anniversary Elites, I just ask that you please go into this with an open mind.

As someone who is not a fan of the Halo 4/5 Sangheili, not particularly fond of the Halo Reach Sangheili and cannot stand the H2A/HW2 Sangheili, I'd love to see a new design inspired by the classic Sangheili that appear in Halo's 1, 2 and 3. Here's a little summary of the appearances of the Elites across the games that may enlighten you as to why I'd like to see something new but classic inspired: (Click on the blue links to see some examples as you read)

Halo CE - In Halo CE, the Elites have a simple, elegant, lean (slender but strong) design. They are clearly inspired by the Xenomorphs from the Alien franchise with their extra long skulls and necks as well as the Yautja from the Predator franchise with their split mouths/jaws. Their armour is sleek and colourful, but also pointed with 'fins' on their helmets, elbows and knees. Overall, they have an eel-like, shark-like appearance to match the rest of their ships, weapons and technology.
Halo 2 - The Sangheili change very little from Halo CE to Halo 2. With extra polygons, their shape is now more defined. The squid-like form of their heads, particularly the smoothness of the way their mandibles seamlessly split off from the sides of their heads, can now be more easily noticed. Two armour types have been discarded while four have been introduced, but overall, they still retain their sleek shark-like design.
Halo 3 - Their armour has a lot more detail to it and seems to be thicker without drastically changing the silhouette of the Elites. For the most part, they look, move and feel the same way as they did in Halo 2. On top of their more detailed standard combat harnesses, more armour has been introduced such as the Assault variant and plenty more multiplayer additions.
Halo Reach - Reach introduced the first major change to the Sangheili design. They now stand straighter and no longer have the rippled, fish scale texture beneath their armour. It has been replaced by rubbery undersuits. Their skulls are slightly shorter and don't meld into their mandibles in quite the same was as they did in Halos 1, 2 and 3, and there are far more variations of their armour. Overall, they still have the shark-like design to them, but it's much less obvious as they are far bulkier and with way more pieces to their armour than before. Their eyes have moved slightly closer to the front.
Halo 4 / 5 - Here the Sangheili armour changes again. It's equally as drastic as Reach's changes with around the same amount of armour variations. The default combat harness no longer comes with the classic 'fins' as before, which gives them a very different look. While their skulls are still long like classic Elites, they now have a dip in the middle and bumps/thorns along the sides. Their mandibles are very detached from their faces and start from a different position on their heads. For the first time, they physically move very differently from classic Sangheili. Their eyes have moved further closer to the front. Their hands are more claw-like. Overall, they retain some of their classic shark-like design, but lose much of it and feel a little more monstrous.
Halo 2 Anniversary - These Elites get a lot of praise in spite of the fact that they are arguably the most different from classic Sangheili. Their skulls are much shorter than any Sangheili ever seen in the games before this point. Their craniums are now clearly more inspired by Earth's snakes rather than sharks or xenomorphs. The front of their faces are quite flat with their eyes retaining their Halo 4/5 position at the front rather than sides. Their mandibles are very detached from their faces making them look much more 'clicky' and vastly different from Sangheili in Halos 1, 2 and 3. Their hands are claw-like, almost as much as the Halo 4/5 Elites. Their helmets are rounded and tilted downwards at the back rather than pointed upwards at the back as they've always been before. While their armour is still sleek-looking, overall, they look nothing like their classic shark-like selves from Halos 1, 2 and 3. They've gone from shark-like to saurian, a trait that used to belong exclusively to the Kig-Yar.

Halo 2 Thel 'Vadamee - Halo 2 Anniversary Thel 'Vadamee

If 343i are working hard to make Halo feel like Halo again then we need to return to the classic look and feel of the original Sangheili, not these lizard-beast hybrids that have appeared since.

This image linked by JadeDragoon136 perfectly conveys what I was saying about head shape. The Halo Trilogy Elites have consistently strong, well-defined and elongated skulls with mandibles that perfectly meld into their face. Whereas the H2A Elite head has a much flatter and shortened skull with mandibles placed in a very forward and lowered position, making them look more 'clicky'. The H2A eyes are further forward and higher up as well.
Elite Variations
SHAMELESS PLUG
Check out my in-progess Halo 2-3 Novelisation!I've kept both Halo 2 and Halo 2 Anniversary in mind when writing the descriptions, but I think it's obvious which design of the Elites I went with...
Finally someone else who understands the h2a elite is not really a faithful update.
What's your opinion on these elites from Halo Wars 2?
Hemlach wrote:
The one thing I can praise 343 for doing was mixing the classic and modern art style in HW2. I'd personally go with HW2 or Reach but thats my opinion.
speedyjr11 wrote:
Hemlach wrote:
The one thing I can praise 343 for doing was mixing the classic and modern art style in HW2. I'd personally go with HW2 or Reach but thats my opinion.
I would agree with you there.

@OP
It's been a hot minute since I've lurked around in the Halo subreddit, but usually when the topic of which artstyle 343 should use in Halo Infinite comes up, the overall consensus is that Halo Wars 2 takes the cake.
Ummm hw2 and h2a and reach probably have the best looking elite design so a combination of all of those would be welcome
Not going to lie, I love the Elite Enforcer design from HW2.
Hemlach wrote:
I should mention that I don't actually dislike the H2A Elites entirely. I like when something knew is tried and I can appreciate them for what they are... I just don't want them to return. Now to answer your question, it's difficult to tell. They look cool in that image though, and there armour is great!

Finally someone else who understands the h2a elite is not really a faithful update.
Yeah. I think because of the big step between Reach's and Halo 4's Elites (particularly in their movement and the more monstrous physical features) people forget just how different the original Halo Trilogy Sangheili were. If you take the time to look at both designs carefully though, the H2A Elites share just as much with their Halo 4 counterparts as they do with their Halo 2 counterparts. I'd even argue that the H2A Sangheili have more in common with the Halo 4 Elites than they do with the classic Halo 2 ones.

Ummm hw2 and h2a and reach probably have the best looking elite design so a combination of all of those would be welcome
Outside of the armour, the HW2 and H2A Elites are the same. Somehow they did a better job of the 'fins' and shark-like aspect of the HW2 Elites than they did in H2A ones despite the fact that they belong to the Banished faction instead of the Covenant. As mentioned in the original post, I reeealllly don't like the clicky jaws, short snake skull or rough skin of the H2A/HW2 Sangheili. Their rounded helmet annoys me too. Reach is okay, but I'd much prefer something inspired by the Halo Trilogy. Halo Infinite seems to be nodding toward the original trilogy, particularly Halo CE, so I'm hoping we get to see a design reminiscent of something we'd have seen in the pre-Reach days. I love how the Elites looked and moved in Halo 3.
H2A Arbiter+ his new armour is an abomination.They have to do something about that if they plan on bringing the anniversary style back.

Personally I'd take Reach's Elite art style over the new,classic and anniversary styles.It's the perfect mix to me.
I want them !!! They look super cool
Hemlach wrote:
I should mention that I don't actually dislike the H2A Elites entirely. I like when something knew is tried and I can appreciate them for what they are... I just don't want them to return. Now to answer your question, it's difficult to tell. They look cool in that image though, and there armour is great!

Yeah. I think because of the big step between Reach's and Halo 4's Elites (particularly in their movement and the more monstrous physical features) people forget just how different the original Halo Trilogy Sangheili were. If you take the time to look at both designs carefully though, the H2A Elites share just as much with their Halo 4 counterparts as they do with their Halo 2 counterparts. I'd even argue that the H2A Sangheili have more in common with the Halo 4 Elites than they do with the classic Halo 2 ones.

Outside of the armour, the HW2 and H2A Elites are the same. Somehow they did a better job of the 'fins' and shark-like aspect of the HW2 Elites than they did in H2A ones despite the fact that they belong to the Banished faction instead of the Covenant. As mentioned in the original post, I reeealllly don't like the clicky jaws, short snake skull or rough skin of the H2A/HW2 Sangheili. Their rounded helmet annoys me too. Reach is okay, but I'd much prefer something inspired by the Halo Trilogy. Halo Infinite seems to be nodding toward the original trilogy, particularly Halo CE, so I'm hoping we get to see a design reminiscent of something we'd have seen in the pre-Reach days. I love how the Elites looked and moved in Halo 3.
Idk I feel h2a and hw2 are a good evolution of the elites compared to the halo 4 and 5 elites
The only thing is Halo CE, 2, 2A, 3, and reach elites actually look, sound, and act like elites. H4 and H5 I wouldn't even consider to be elites
Hemlach wrote:

Idk I feel h2a and hw2 are a good evolution of the elites compared to the halo 4 and 5 elites
Look at the H2A Elite faces in particular. They are MUCH closer to the Halo 4/5 Elites than they are to the classic Halo Trilogy Sangheili.
Hemlach wrote:

Look at the H2A Elite faces in particular. They are MUCH closer to the Halo 4/5 Elites than they are to the classic Halo Trilogy Sangheili.
In the cutscenes or the game itself?
Hemlach wrote:

In the cutscenes or the game itself?
Both, but I guess it's more evident in the game itself because the lighting in the pre-rendered cutscenes is different.
I like the Halo 3 or Reach looks the most. The H2A elites are to skinny and have really small feet. I do think the H2A elites did well at showing emotions though compared to the older designs.
I think you're exaggerating the differences. I certainly find it strange that you declare the Halo 2A elites "the most different from classic Sangheili", when that hat clearly goes to the abominations of Halo 4 and 5. Frankly, I'd say that Halo 2A Elites are overall closest to the Halo 2 Elites from all the games after. The only thing I notice off the bat is the eye position and the shape of the face. which could maybe be fixed a bit, but it doesn't really bother me because their faces at least look respectable. It's probably not my ideal, but it's not something I'm upset with.
I like the design of the sangheili in H2A
They look elegant, intelligent and fluid in their movement

When i look on the previous 2 games, i only see some kind Jiralhanae
They look bulky, dumb and slower than an ordinary humain

I think Halo 2 Anniversary elites are the ones that look like what they should be
The differences you mentioned are being blown out of proportion. I’m not suggesting you not like the H2A Elites as that’s your choice. But saying that they...
are MUCH closer to the Halo 4/5 Elites than they are to the classic Halo Trilogy Sangheili.
... is just incorrect. When you look at the H2A Elites, I don’t understand how your first thought can be that they’re lumbering Brute replacements like the ones seen in H4/5. As tsassi said above, there might be some details which don’t match up exactly with the originals, but those are very minor and can be easily remedied. But, without examining the Elite’s design by going an inch away from every feature, they look by and large like a perfect evolution of the classic design. As for HW2, I can see that being the basis for Infinite as their design is also done quite well and makes sense with the lore.
tuhin94 wrote:
The differences you mentioned are being blown out of proportion. I’m not suggesting you not like the H2A Elites as that’s your choice. But saying that they...
are MUCH closer to the Halo 4/5 Elites than they are to the classic Halo Trilogy Sangheili.
... is just incorrect. When you look at the H2A Elites, I don’t understand how your first thought can be that they’re lumbering Brute replacements like the ones seen in H4/5. As tsassi said above, there might be some details which don’t match up exactly with the originals, but those are very minor and can be easily remedied. But, without examining the Elite’s design by going an inch away from every feature, they look by and large like a perfect evolution of the classic design. As for HW2, I can see that being the basis for Infinite as their design is also done quite well and makes sense with the lore.
If you read my original post, I never once say that I look at the H2A Elites and think immediately of the H4/5 Elites. In fact, I described them very differently. You might need to have a bit of a re-read. What I did say since then is that if you look at the faces of the H2A Elites and the H4/5 Elites (and only their faces) they are much more similar to one another than they are to Bungie's Elites that appeared in Halo CE, 2 and 3. What's more, the H2A and H4/5 Elites have a bumpier rougher texture as well as much more clawlike hands. As far as the H2A Elites being an evolution of the originals, I couldn't agree less. Again, re-read my original post.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7