Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Do NOT bring back the Halo 2 Anniversary Elites

OP MinusSquire2145

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I like H2A elite and I think they use the same base model for HW2 just with different armors, my only problem with those elite are their feet, they look like minotaur feet (Like if they are going to fall) and H4/H5 are not better either, they look too big (You can even see in the cinematic where team Osirirs kills Jul' M Dama how slow they move).

I personally prefer Elites feet from Reach (They look pretty agile) and in general that's my favorite design, but i just want them to fix the feet.

About the armor, I think HW2 has some really good looking designs I think that if we still fight enemies elites they may have the same armor as H4/H5 (Unless they introduce banished elites) but i want to see what they to the design for ally elites (Swords of Shangelios).
I just want them to be playable.
I think the best design for the elites would be a mix of Halo 2, Halo 3, and Reach. I want the body design and posture from Halo 2, the increased height from Reach, and the various armor variants from both Halo 3, and Reach, and the classic shark fin helmet, instead of the Assault helmet from Halo 3 that didn't have Shark fins.

On top of that, I would love Halo Reach Spartan style customization with the different armor variants, by which I mean being able to mix and match different pieces of armor from different sets. I was disapointed that you could only pick from pre built sets of Elite armor in Reach instead of being able to mix and match like in Halo 3 and with Spartans in Halo Reach. I always wanted to remove the Ultra face plate so that I could have my elites mandibles showing and I always wanted to be wearing the serrated wrist guards of the Minors.
Yeah I have to admit, the Reach design is my favourite, I think they are close to the perfect design and how I have always imagined the Elites to look.
Completely agree with the OP. It is a shame that the Elites in Halo 2 Anniversary were not faithfully designed to their original counterparts.
I also personally dislike the behaviour and intelligence of the Halo 4 and 5 Elites; they seem to be very dumb and not at all intimidating as before.
Zemillion wrote:
H2A Arbiter+ his new armour is an abomination.They have to do something about that if they plan on bringing the anniversary style back.

Personally I'd take Reach's Elite art style over the new,classic and anniversary styles.It's the perfect mix to me.
Reach was cool in almost every sense so yeah, I'll go with that. In terms of Arby however, I like how he now has this ornate ceremonial armor thing going on but I'd prefer if they'd make him change back to his old armor for combat purposes. Ideally looking at Halo Wars' Arbiter for inspiration. I think that game nailed the more intricate graphics long before the games could actually render them during gameplay, essentially setting up the style of games coming after it. Generally speaking I think HW(1) nailed Elites anyway by making them bigger and more intimidating. Slim them down a little and you've got my perfect modern take Elite.
I think it’d be cool to have playable elites and you can choose what type of elite you want.
We probably just gonna get the H2A campaign elite design since it likes by a large majority of fans. While the 4/5 elites will only be used in books/comics probably forever.
Personally I loved the remastered H2A Elite designs. The added reptilian details made them look cooler and I overall had no issues with the armor look or the design of the helmets or even their faces. Even the Halo 4 and 5 Elites look ok to me, but that's just my opinion.
Personally I loved the remastered H2A Elite designs. The added reptilian details made them look cooler and I overall had no issues with the armor look or the design of the helmets or even their faces. Even the Halo 4 and 5 Elites look ok to me, but that's just my opinion.
Hmm... If you prefer the reptilian (saurian) changes, then that's fine. It's all subjective. Of course, I can't stand them. Outside of simply not liking the newer rough, scaly and thorny elements of them and the weaker, snake-like aspects, I simply dislike the inconsistency. Bungie had designed every Covenant to look distinct from one another. The Kig-Yar were lizard-like while the Sangheili were smooth, elegant, leathery warriors with shark-like faces and pointed helmets. Its jarring to play through the Halo trilogy and have H2A's Elites stand out so much from the others.
Hmm... If you prefer the reptilian (saurian) changes, then that's fine. It's all subjective. Of course, I can't stand them. Outside of simply not liking the newer rough, scaly and thorny elements of them and the weaker, snake-like aspects, I simply dislike the inconsistency. Bungie had designed every Covenant to look distinct from one another. The Kig-Yar were lizard-like while the Sangheili were smooth, elegant, leathery warriors with shark-like faces and pointed helmets. Its jarring to play through the Halo trilogy and have H2A's Elites stand out so much from the others.
Well, remember, when the original Halo 2 was made, the engines the games were made on were still super simple. Not quite 80's and 90's simple, but there were many textures you'd never notice simply because of how the models are made. It's very likely Bungie may have intended the Elites to look far more lizard like than they ended up being, even the Jackals didn't look very lizard like in Halo 2 original.

If your prefer the more shark like look, then I can respect and understand that.
Well, remember, when the original Halo 2 was made, the engines the games were made on were still super simple. Not quite 80's and 90's simple, but there were many textures you'd never notice simply because of how the models are made. It's very likely Bungie may have intended the Elites to look far more lizard like than they ended up being, even the Jackals didn't look very lizard like in Halo 2 original.

If your prefer the more shark like look, then I can respect and understand that.
Jump into Halo 3 and look closely at the Elites. There are some really good images in the video game guide that show what I'm talking about if you've got it. They're very smooth, slippery and eel-like. Look at the Jackals in the same game. They're hard, scaly and pterosaur in appearance. It's already a stretch to say Bungie couldn't make their Elites lizard-like in 2004, but there's definitely no excuse in 2007. Besides, if they could get the Jackals to look reptilian in Halo CE, why wouldn't they be able to get the Elites lizard-like as well if that was what they intended? Well, it's because that's not what they intended. Even your Halo 2 Jackals were very clearly saurian while the Elites were not. See here. What makes you say "It's very likely Bungie may have intended the Elites to look far more lizard like"? What makes it so very likely? It seems to me that you've pulled that idea out of thin air purely because you like 343i's lizard-like Elites. It's fine if you like them, but there's literally nothing to suggest that Bungie wanted them to be saurian in any way.

Jump into Halo 3 and look closely at the Elites. There are some really good images in the video game guide that show what I'm talking about if you've got it. They're very smooth, slippery and eel-like. Look at the Jackals in the same game. They're hard, scaly and pterosaur in appearance. It's already a stretch to say Bungie couldn't make their Elites lizard-like in 2004, but there's definitely no excuse in 2007. Besides, if they could get the Jackals to look reptilian in Halo CE, why wouldn't they be able to get the Elites lizard-like as well if that was what they intended? Well, it's because that's not what they intended. Even your Halo 2 Jackals were very clearly saurian while the Elites were not. See here. What makes you say "It's very likely Bungie may have intended the Elites to look far more lizard like"? What makes it so very likely? It seems to me that you've pulled that idea out of thin air purely because you like 343i's lizard-like Elites. It's fine if you like them, but there's literally nothing to suggest that Bungie wanted them to be saurian in any way.
Easy now, I'm not throwing my idea into everyone's face. I looked at the pictures and to me it doesn't look LIKE it was what they initially went for. Because when I think lizard, I think rough, durable scales almost like dinosaurs most are familiar with. Halo 2's Jackals to ME look like smoothish skin with slight tears for glands or whatever they were going for with those blister looking parts on the Jackals faces.

To me, they don't look reptilian at all, they look like featherless birds honestly. And that's what 343 ends up reinforcing when they remake Halo 2, is that they're avian but less lizard like than I suppose what most people assumed. That could just be 343i's preference.

Please don't attack me because of how I see things. :/ Not everyone sees things the way you do. What might look reptilian to one may look completely different to others, especially when it comes to older graphics of games.

Like I said: if you prefer the eel or shark like design, that's FINE. I'm not saying everyone has to prefer the lizard look because of what I see or like. In fact, nowhere did I EVER say that the lizard look is the correct look. It's just the look I prefer.

As for what Bungie may have been intending? Who even knows? I mean they had to rush Halo 2 out the door because they were running out of time and had to cut many things and go for what they had at the time. I don't work for Bungie. Never have. I can't speak for them.
Hemlach wrote:
What's your opinion on these elites from Halo Wars 2?
I should mention that I don't actually dislike the H2A Elites entirely. I like when something knew is tried and I can appreciate them for what they are... I just don't want them to return. Now to answer your question, it's difficult to tell. They look cool in that image though, and there armour is great!

Finally someone else who understands the h2a elite is not really a faithful update.
Yeah. I think because of the big step between Reach's and Halo 4's Elites (particularly in their movement and the more monstrous physical features) people forget just how different the original Halo Trilogy Sangheili were. If you take the time to look at both designs carefully though, the H2A Elites share just as much with their Halo 4 counterparts as they do with their Halo 2 counterparts. I'd even argue that the H2A Sangheili have more in common with the Halo 4 Elites than they do with the classic Halo 2 ones.

Ummm hw2 and h2a and reach probably have the best looking elite design so a combination of all of those would be welcome
Outside of the armour, the HW2 and H2A Elites are the same. Somehow they did a better job of the 'fins' and shark-like aspect of the HW2 Elites than they did in H2A ones despite the fact that they belong to the Banished faction instead of the Covenant. As mentioned in the original post, I reeealllly don't like the clicky jaws, short snake skull or rough skin of the H2A/HW2 Sangheili. Their rounded helmet annoys me too. Reach is okay, but I'd much prefer something inspired by the Halo Trilogy. Halo Infinite seems to be nodding toward the original trilogy, particularly Halo CE, so I'm hoping we get to see a design reminiscent of something we'd have seen in the pre-Reach days. I love how the Elites looked and moved in Halo 3.
How could you -Yoinking- compare the H2A and HW2 Elites the the H4 & 5 Elites?!?! They are the abomination of the Halo universe and your comparing them to the H2A and HW2 design?!?! This is both ridiculous and making a new model for the Elites would take more time which would in turn entice 343i to go with either the HW2 design or the H4/5 design (and the H4/5 design is something I NEVER want to see return again), and while I personally like the H2A design and see almost no similarity between the H2A design and the HW2 design (and the cutscenes do not count as they were using assets that they already had available and the Marines are very much proof of that) they changed up the armor design and the stance of the HW2 Elite are taller and stronger in appearance than the H2A Elites as well as the mandibles being in a different position relative to the skull that is more classic in essence as well as a slightly different skull shape, which again pays more homage to the classic Sangheili. I see where you are coming from and yes the H2A Elites do look different from their classic counterparts, but if you look at the H4/5 Elites without the helmet and just compare them to the H2A Elites than they are far more respectful towards the classic Sangheili than the H4/5 design which basically turns the Sangheili into the new Brutes of the franchise. Now the subject of the Halo 3 Sangheili is one of interest to me as while I like the Halo 3 design more than the Halo Reach design, It seems as though they changed the Elites themselves on H3 as well as their armor which when I look at H3 compared to H2 in terms of Elite design I do not see many similarities except for the placement of the mandibles in relation to the skull as their armor is changed pretty well and they have made their double jointed legs (which might I say resemble that of a horse and I have always compared Sangheili to a horse as where they got some inspiration for the design as the legs are quite similar and the Sangheili and horses are elegant creatures) set down to the ground further than in Halo 2 and their backs are more hunched over than in Halo 2. Of course this is all a matter of opinion and while I would MUCH prefer the HW2 design (or the H2A design but more so the HW2 design) your requests (or demands depending on how 343i views your choice of wording) may drive them to make a new design or have already started, BUT if they have not successfully finished it by the right time than they will be force to use previous assets from either Halo 2 Anniversary or Halo 4/5 and while I don’t know what you would prefer because you seem to like the abomination that is the Halo 4/5 design just as much as the Halo 2 Anniversary design because you don’t really indicate what you like more and in the case that they must use previous asset or already are than would you prefer the H2A design or the H4/5 design? Because they would have to use one of them and because they are going in a more classic direction with Halo Infinite they will likely use the H2A design if it comes to it, and you along with all who have been pushing for more designs that look more like the classic design from 343i must be prepared for the repercussions of them being pushed by deadlines that the community are making due to people desiring the game ASAP (due to the Engine test trailer an E3 leaks and news) which could force them to ditch the new design which they COULD be making for either the H2A design or the H4/5 design (H4/5 design is not likely). You must ask yourselves whether you desire the H2A design which really does pay far more respect to the original trilogy than the H4/5 design ever did, or do you want the H4/5 design which makes the Sangheili brutes because if worse comes to worse than those will be their only options. I would like to hear your thoughts on my opinions as I like feedback and what others think so feel free to comment on this post I have made on how you agree or disagree with me.

I would have to say the the Jackals get their inspiration from Avian like creatures and maybe a small dose of Raptor in their design, but I wouldn’t go so far as to say they are purely Reptilian.
If you ask me, I would go with h2a elites because.... See.... They are more explained...... They look like a species speaking a language .... Just imagine hce hcea, reach, 4-5(the worst one) doesn't go with someone speaking a language
If you ask me, I would go with h2a elites because.... See.... They are more explained...... They look like a species speaking a language .... Just imagine hce hcea, reach, 4-5(the worst one) doesn't go with someone speaking a language
Could you please explain better? I don’t get the cosmic language analogy, and I think that HCE/HCEA, H2/H2A, H3, HW, HW2, and for the most part Reach all show the Sangheili well. H4 and H5G do not express the Sangheili as they should, but instead as a brutish, slow, unintelligent, aggressive, unstealthily, lacking nobility, and clumsy species that represents the traits of the Jiralhanae perfectly (I know that this isn’t about the grunts but thank goodness the good grunts are back and the H4/5 design being suicide squads fits perfectly).
One of the things I did like about he elites is their helmets matched the style of their plasma rifles in H2C. I prefer the long helmets in H3 and H2C along with the split toes.

I would have to say the the Jackals get their inspiration from Avian like creatures and maybe a small dose of Raptor in their design, but I would go so far as to say they are purely Reptilian.
I agree with that. They're not fully reptilian. They were always both reptilian and avian, which is essentially what "raptor-like" means. My point was more that that reptilian element was exclusive to the Kig-Yar from 2001(the release of the original Halo) all the way until 2012 (eleven years). 343i only turned the Sangheili reptilian in 2014 with H2A after thirteen years of strong, smooth, elegant and shark-like Sangheili.

One of the things I did like about he elites is their helmets matched the style of their plasma rifles in H2C. I prefer the long helmets in H3 and H2C along with the split toes.
Yep. Bungie did an amazing job in the original trilogy with the consistency of Covenant design. It's especially evident in Halo CE, but continues through to H2 and 3. The ships, weapons and vehicles all match the look and feel of their classic Sangheili design.

I would have to say the the Jackals get their inspiration from Avian like creatures and maybe a small dose of Raptor in their design, but I would go so far as to say they are purely Reptilian.
I agree with that. They're not truly reptilian. They were always both reptilian and avian, which is essentially what "raptor-like" means. My point was more that that reptilian element was exclusive to the Kig-Yar from 2001(the release of the original Halo) all the way until 2012 (eleven years). 343i only turned the Sangheili reptilian in 2014 with H2A after thirteen years of strong, smooth, elegant and shark-like Sangheili.

Yep. Bungie did an amazing job in the original trilogy with the consistency of Covenant design. It's especially evident in Halo CE, but continues through to H2 and 3. The ships, weapons and vehicles all match the look and feel of their classic Sangheili design.
Yeah I see what you mean and also the reptilian Sangheili started at Halo 4 since Halo 4 came before H2A and started the new abominations.

Their lack of grace is disturbing.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3