1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 12
Hm, interesting, first time I have seen someone not fond of the H2A sangheili. There were a few things I have disliked on some of the designs over the years. Halo 3 sangheili had that odd curve-foot, alongside the shoulder parts of the combat armor. Reach ones, really just the lack of gloves and the toe design compared to the hoof they had from combat evolved and halo 2.

Halo Wars were far to top heavy, while having thin little waists. Halo 4-5 designs can only really say...."Heresy, remove this filth." As for Halo 2A, the larger curved backplate on their armor, the oddly smaller feet despite heretics having normal hoofs, and the fact none, not even rangers wear gloves did bother me somewhat. Their bodies I would say appear a bit more muscle-bound then their previous incarnation, though not a bad thing.

I would agree that halo 2 were my favorites for many of the reasons you made, not counting the predator/xenomorph relation. Although do want to point out a small nitpick on the Reach ones you mentioned. They always wore a bodysuit under their armor, it was just more detailed with that game.
I could probably go into detail with my opinion or something, but I'd rather just say this; we should be grateful for even getting the 2A design. If you don't like either 4/5 or 2A's design, then at least you're getting the lesser of two evils. I partially agree, but I did like the 2A elites very much. Maybe this is because I was comparing them more to the 4/5 elites subconsciously than I was the original elites (since that's the comparison most people make), but whatever the case is they're not that bad. In fact, compared to 4/5 they're pretty great.
I like the original Halo 2 Elites the most. Sleek, elegant, athletic, and intelligent. I found them to be the most respectable looking/behaving Elites on my recent Legendary playthrough of the Master Chief Collection games. The Brutes in Halo 2 really were a contrast to the Elites. Reach and 343's Elites are trying to fill a role the Brutes played. I hope we see a return of the Brutes acting savage, and the Elites returning with more noble appearances and behaviors.
I like the original Halo 2 Elites the most. Sleek, elegant, athletic, and intelligent. I found them to be the most respectable looking/behaving Elites on my recent Legendary playthrough of the Master Chief Collection games. The Brutes in Halo 2 really were a contrast to the Elites. Reach and 343's Elites are trying to fill a role the Brutes played. I hope we see a return of the Brutes acting savage, and the Elites returning with more noble appearances and behaviors.
I don’t feel like the Sangheili were trying to be portrayed as Brutes in Halo Reach, but Halo 4 and Definitely Halo 5 give that impression (it is possible that 343 felt that since they wouldn’t be putting Jiralhanae in their games when they set out for Halo 4 and the Brutes seemed to have all of the characteristics of an enemy you’d prefer to destroy, they decided to make the Elites look and feel that way to make the player feel like they were killing Brutes, but instead killing Elites but I’m just spitballing here).
Elites have always been reptilians.
TheMavLad wrote:
I don’t feel like the Sangheili were trying to be portrayed as Brutes in Halo Reach, but Halo 4 and Definitely Halo 5 give that impression (it is possible that 343 felt that since they wouldn’t be putting Jiralhanae in their games when they set out for Halo 4 and the Brutes seemed to have all of the characteristics of an enemy you’d prefer to destroy, they decided to make the Elites look and feel that way to make the player feel like they were killing Brutes, but instead killing Elites but I’m just spitballing here).
I suppose you're right about the Elites in Reach. But I still see Halo Reach as the game that started to make Elites look more like mindless monsters, instead of something intelligent.
TheMavLad wrote:
I suppose you're right about the Elites in Reach. But I still see Halo Reach as the game that started to make Elites look more like mindless monsters, instead of something intelligent.
The Reach Elites were a little more savage in the way that they spoke and their new design made their faces a little more savage looking, but it still wasn’t enough to take away their elegance and nobility unlike Halo 4/5.
No they weren't always reptilians, and actually in Halo Wars 2, they aren't anymore. In Halo 1-Reach, the Elites had a smooth leathery skin, you can see this very clearly when the Arbiter gets his armor removed in Halo 2. It was Halo 4 that introduced the reptillian style Elites with scales and the design returned in Halo 5, but in Halo Wars 2 the Elites seem to have their leathery skin back.

Also, Elites are aliens, so they don't fit into any of the types of species that fall under the name reptile.
Nuss902928 wrote:
No they weren't always reptilians, and actually in Halo Wars 2, they aren't anymore. In Halo 1-Reach, the Elites had a smooth leathery skin, you can see this very clearly when the Arbiter gets his armor removed in Halo 2. It was Halo 4 that introduced the reptillian style Elites with scales and the design returned in Halo 5, but in Halo Wars 2 the Elites seem to have their leathery skin back.

Also, Elites are aliens, so they don't fit into any of the types of species that fall under the name reptile.
Leatherback sea turtles have smooth skin. No-one doesn't class them as reptiles.
Bungie defined Sangheili as Saurians, to which reptiles fall under the classification of.
Nuss902928 wrote:

Leatherback sea turtles have smooth skin. No-one doesn't class them as reptiles.
Bungie defined Sangheili as Saurians, to which reptiles fall under the classification of.
When did Bungie define them as saurian? In the books of Bungie's era they were described as looking like sharks. In the early books of 343i's era they were merely described as leathery. The first material I've personally read in which they were described as saurian is Silent Storm (although Hunters in the Dark may have used the word too if I remember correctly). Only material after H2A describes them as saurian from what I can see, unless I've missed something in the last eighteen years.
Nuss902928 wrote:

When did Bungie define them as saurian? In the books of Bungie's era they were described as looking like sharks. In the early books of 343i's era they were merely described as leathery. The first material I've personally read in which they were described as saurian is Silent Storm (although Hunters in the Dark may have used the word too if I remember correctly). Only material after H2A describes them as saurian from what I can see, unless I've missed something in the last eighteen years.
http://halo.bungie.net/projects/reach/article.aspx?ucc=enemies&cid=24611

Quote: "Sinewy and extremely tall saurians. Following the First Battle of Harvest in 2525 this species has been observed exclusively as the leadership of the Covenant in all military engagements. They are disciplined and proficient combatants."
Nuss902928 wrote:
hereElites have always been reptilians.

http://halo.bungie.net/projects/reach/article.aspx?ucc=enemies&cid=24611

Quote: "Sinewy and extremely tall saurians. Following the First Battle of Harvest in 2525 this species has been observed exclusively as the leadership of the Covenant in all military engagements. They are disciplined and proficient combatants."
Ok, so I just saw a video about the making a Halo: Outpost Discovery on YouTube and I heard a guy that was making the hand of an Elite say outright that he is trying to make that hand look organic and reptilian. That video told me that 343i either doesn’t care, or they are trying to change lore and make the Sangheili more reptilian. Link to video here.
I'm curious to see what will be done with the Elite's
I'll be very surprised if the Elites don't look very similar to their H2:A or HW2 counterparts.
I'll be very surprised if the Elites don't look very similar to their H2:A or HW2 counterparts.
If you look closer than that HW2 ones do look different, but they haven’t said a word when some people working alongside them called Elites reptilian.
TheMavLad wrote:
If you look closer than that HW2 ones do look different, but they haven’t said a word when some people working alongside them called Elites reptilian.
By Halo Wars 2, I meant from the Blur cutscenes, not the units in the gameplay. Sort of the same for H2:A as well...I prefer the Elites standing tall, like in CE, rather than hunched over all the time. It gives them a more proud and noble appearance.
TheMavLad wrote:
By Halo Wars 2, I meant from the Blur cutscenes, not the units in the gameplay. Sort of the same for H2:A as well...I prefer the Elites standing tall, like in CE, rather than hunched over all the time. It gives them a more proud and noble appearance.
Well they reused a lot of assets from H2A for the HW2 cutscenes and the Marines are a shining example of that. As for the Elites being hunched that is for gaming purposes so that the hit box is similar to that of a Spartan since the competitive crowd would throw a fit over it.
TheMavLad wrote:
TheMavLad wrote:
Well they reused a lot of assets from H2A for the HW2 cutscenes and the Marines are a shining example of that. As for the Elites being hunched that is for gaming purposes so that the hit box is similar to that of a Spartan since the competitive crowd would throw a fit over it.
Yes, I figured it was for hit box reasons. They went from standing tall in CE, where they obviously weren't playable, to hunched over in Halo 2, where they were playable.

However, if they aren't playable in Halo [6]: Infinite, then I would prefer for the Elites to stand tall once more.
TheMavLad wrote:
TheMavLad wrote:
Yes, I figured it was for hit box reasons. They went from standing tall in CE, where they obviously weren't playable, to hunched over in Halo 2, where they were playable.

However, if they aren't playable in Halo [6]: Infinite, then I would prefer for the Elites to stand tall once more.
I agree with you, but in all honesty I would like for them to be tall and playable as it is just a small height difference and in a heated engagement you and your opponent are moving all the time so headshots become more difficult so I don’t really see how a normal Sangheili would be any worse (plus the hunch back creates more problems for Sangheili balance like not being able to get a headshot from behind while you could if he was standing the way he should be (just my opinion though).
I'd like to see them all. H3, Reach, 4/5, Hw2, and H2A. Just like Humans IRL, covenant species should vary in sizes and builds. Loved hw2 hunters and different grunts.

Reach did it with Jackals and Skirmishers.

Halo Wars 2 with Hunters and Grunts.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 12