OP MinusSquire2145

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 5
  4. 6
  5. ...
  6. 7
WWelchIII wrote:
The Halo Wars 2 Elites are bomb af! Halo 2 Anniversary are beautiful as well! Halo 4 and 5 Elites are nice it was just too big of a change for Halo and no one could adapt too it!
I respectfully disagree!
X19Doug95 wrote:
Finally somebosy said it. Halo 2A Elites are ULGY.
I don't get it. I understand the eyes are in a slightly different place and maybe their head is a little smaller but the biggest difference is their hands aren't gloved like H2 original and their armor covers a lot more of their body. The jaw is definately farther from the rest of the face or maybe just spread out more but I don't think it's that bad. The eyes being more in front of their head actually makes more sense for a predator since typically predators have eyes in the front while non predatory creatures have the eyes to the side. The eyes in the front help with depth perception while eyes to the side are better for situational awareness.
You just said that you don't get it and then explained several ways the H2A Elites look different from their original design. That's the point. They're no longer those same Elites we began with. Imagine if any other iconic alien from say Star Wars or Star Trek randomly had a complete makeover that deliberately changed this many elements of their original appearance. Just because Halo is a video game series does not mean it gets to screw around like this.
What I don't get is the H2A Elites aren't drastically different from H2 Elites. The changes I see are minor changes especially when compared to H4 and H5 Elites. When the biggest change is the fact that their armor is more protective than in the original graphics and they have ungloved hands vs gloved hands, I don't see that as a major point of concern. They also have more armor in Halo 3.
X19Doug95 wrote:
I don't get it. I understand the eyes are in a slightly different place and maybe their head is a little smaller but the biggest difference is their hands aren't gloved like H2 original and their armor covers a lot more of their body. The jaw is definately farther from the rest of the face or maybe just spread out more but I don't think it's that bad. The eyes being more in front of their head actually makes more sense for a predator since typically predators have eyes in the front while non predatory creatures have the eyes to the side. The eyes in the front help with depth perception while eyes to the side are better for situational awareness.
You just said that you don't get it and then explained several ways the H2A Elites look different from their original design. That's the point. They're no longer those same Elites we began with. Imagine if any other iconic alien from say Star Wars or Star Trek randomly had a complete makeover that deliberately changed this many elements of their original appearance. Just because Halo is a video game series does not mean it gets to screw around like this.
What I don't get is the H2A Elites aren't drastically different from H2 Elites. The changes I see are minor changes especially when compared to H4 and H5 Elites. When the biggest change is the fact that their armor is more protective than in the original graphics and they have ungloved hands vs gloved hands, I don't see that as a major point of concern. They also have more armor in Halo 3.
Read the entirety of the original post or my following comments as a response to "the H2A Elites aren't drastically different". Click on any image links I provide.
X19Doug95 wrote:
Read the entirety of the original post or my following comments as a response to "the H2A Elites aren't drastically different". Click on any image links I provide.
I did, I don't see what you're talking about. I'm looking at the images now and a large portion of what you're talking about is the angle of the image. Get 2 versions of the elites at the same angle instead of one from a side view and the other from a front view.

Yes the eyes are slightly different and the jaws hang open more. The armor covers more of the body and in H2A the hands appear to be more claw like because they aren't in gloves but they look like the same hands.

I think the rest of the difference is exclusively from the stance. The H2A Elites don't look at the ground and instead look more directly in front. Anyway, these are all minor changes which don't drastically change the overall appearance of the Elites from H2 to H2A as explained. These are by no means the most drastically altered Elites as you specified in the original post. I think you're just being picky on the H2A Elites. I think almost everyone else given the option of H2A Elites versus Halo 4 and 5 Elites it would be H2A hands down.
I vehemently disagree with this.

Is it different? Yes.
Is that change inherently bad? No.

Looking at the image you shared comparing all of the skulls/faces from CE to H2A... yeah, um, it's by far the most impressive. The wide separation of the eyes in addition to how close they sit to their mandibles in CE/H2 gives them this almost derpy "wahhh!" look -- like I can hear this Waluigi/Wario-esque sound emanating from them. But there are changes throughout, which is no different with H2A. Let's actually compare them in depth. I'll mostly ignore CE because we can't see the skull.

Between 2 & 3, there's a pretty significant change in the brows. Namely, in H2, their brow ridge is extremely defined and jut out a considerable amount which imo, contributes greatly to that aforementioned slight derpiness. This is absent in H3 where they have no discernible brow ridge and as a result, they look a bit more "serious." This is a pretty significant change to completely ignore. In CE/H2, the insides of their mouths are also BRIGHT orange while this was never the case again, starting with H3 but let's chalk that up to better graphics offering more realistic coloring just to be nice. The texture is also completely different on their skin. You completely ignored that in your post and instead talked about their armor which has no bearing on their anatomy but I'll bring the armor back up toward the end. Also, CE Elites had straighter silhouettes and it was Halo 2 that hunched them over more dramatically for gameplay balancing in multiplayer.

As you said, Reach is a drastic change and is, imo, the second most drastic after H4/5. While you mentioned the mandibles acting differently in Reach, you neglected to mention that now, the lower set seems to jut out much more when usually the upper jaw juts out further in the first three games. Changed brow ridges, changed lower jaw... these are all fairly important and large changes. On top of that, instead of having a reasonable amount of teeth as they did in the original trilogy and in H2A, their mouths are a maw of about a million -Yoink- teeth. It's terrifying, sure, but it also makes next to no sense for elegant Elites to be monstrous creatures in that way.

Halo 4/5 are absurd. More than differently sloped skulls, more or less pronounced brow ridges, over/under bite mandibles, their physiology is just far too different in skull alone, never mind their hulking proportions. It just doesn't make sense from an evolutionary perspective because their mouth and teeth are around and in front of their eyes... they have to be EXTRA careful to avoid blinding themselves when they speak or eat.

That brings us to H2A... these Elites imo, are the ones that most immediately strike in me a sense of honor. First off, their pronounced brow ridge is BACK from the original Halo 2 -- something that was dropped in H3, Reach, & 4/5. That's an aspect closer to the original design. The eyes have been raised much more than ever before BUT, as I mentioned, this further alleviates the "wahhhhh!" surprised look of the original design. On the subject of the eyes, the placement is between Reach's forward facing eyes and the original side facing eyes -- that's a happy way to split the difference. While you made excuses for Reach's design, the mandibles return to having at least a slight over bite compared to the full on under bite that Reach Elites had. Also... just look at those eyes. They're far closer to the originals than Reach's which you claimed preserved the same general look. H2A does the same and, imo, adheres a lot closer to the original design. The texture of the skin is also between H2's and Reach's.

I will concede that the elongated back of it -- that sort of hunchback/extended neck/possibly part of the skull area goes down rather than up. But here's why I bring up the armor... these issues are next to impossible to see when in armor and that imo is a key difference. The reason we didn't care about the changes, small AND big, in the other games is because they generally looked the same in armor. Reach Elites definitely looked different at slightly more than a glance but still looked basically the same. The issue with 4/5 is that the changes were so drastic, even a passing glance at them while they wore their armor was enough to go "wtf???" H2A on the other hand still looks like an Elite while in armor and I actually think the fin jutting straight back looks way cooler, more stealthy, aerodynamic (and thus sleeker), and more elegant than the way it pointed up at an angle before.

Ultimately, when you look at this image: https://i.redd.it/c5p38zosli921.jpg , they all look extremely similar save for one... maybe two: the Halo 4/5 design overall & Halo Wars due to the exaggerated proportions. That image also shows how H2A actually returned the Elites' feet back to their original hoof design rather than the bigger, flatter, more human style foot with an arch that began a bit with Halo 3, then was pushed further with Wars & Reach, and then carried over to CEA & 4/5.
Halo wars 2 elites are my favorite design in the series. Its a perfect meld of everything. I'd like to see the models used in infinite minus their fee . Modern elites lack the big toes and have hooves instead and isn't right. But if its just the feet I can live with it
Halo CE had some angular elites, not much armour on the chest, but just enough. Halo CEA ruined it by using halo reach elites. WHY COULDN'T THEY JUST MAKE THE OLD CE ELITES IN HD FORMAT!?!
Halo 2's elites were fine. The ranger and the honour guards' harnesses are my fave there. Not sure how I feel about those spikes on the forearms though. halo 2A has some BAD designs. The eyes on the front just looks horrible... The anniversary multiplayer harnesses, not sure about those. There is one with spoilers on the head, that looks cool.
My fave designs are the halo 3 sangheili. The armour designs were damn cool, especially the commando (although I will never stop using the combat helmet no matter what).
Halo reach however, the spec-ops, ranger, and ultra harnesses were the only designs I actually liked. The antennae on the forehead looks stupid and the helmets are a bit too round.
I really F***ING hate the armour designs in halo 4/5. I mean come on! They got rid of the perfect balance between smoothness and angles in favour of harnesses that are TOO round and smooth. Not only that but some of them look a bit too... Well... Thicc... The only GOOD looking harness in halo 4/5 is the zealot. And 343 can BURN for what they did to good 'ol arby! Too. Much. Gold. I get that an elite's armour design and colour reflects their status but come on! Who would need THAT much gold! There's not much colour separation of arbiter's harness either. Also the helmet and spines on the harness look a bit stupid.

So yeah. There's my opinion on all the elites. I would really love to play as an honour guard with a classic helmet in Infinite's multiplayer when they bring back playable elites (hopefully).
Guys, guys...

...let's not forget. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and Peter Dinklage are the same species. I think differences between elites from game to game is negligible. I mean technically, they all could be the elites "true" form. lol Yes, I find some more appealing than others, but it's all interpretation. There is no standard elite design just like there is no standard human design. 343 will make what they want and we all will continue to spew opinions about how correct or incorrect their decisions are, despite the fact that it's their decision. They are the ones telling the story, not us. We all can easily tell our own story if we want and countless people do on patreon/deviantart/booksie/etc.

Imagine you're telling your own favorite story to a group of friends and every 30 seconds one of them interrupts and yells, "No, you're telling it wrong!" That's all I can picture when reading some of these comments. :P
I like the HW2 Elite design, and I would like to see them in halo Infinite, Honor Guards in Halo Infinite? Or Halo Reach elites such as spec ops or the general?
Halo Teach Elite design was awesome and I think it should come back
The Halo: Reach Elite head looks like a spider, lol.
Oh thank god im not the only one who didn't enjoy H2A artstyle.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 5
  4. 6
  5. ...
  6. 7