Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Do you think Halo Infinite will be the best Halo?

OP AppearedCoast41

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. ...
  6. 5
With the amount of development time, it should at least be a good Halo game.
Halo 2 forever has that honor.
Sev808 wrote:
Yeah, no. The “best Halo game” is CE, with its perfectly balanced sandbox, excellent AI, and perfect Legendary difficulty.

Halo “I can fire my weapon faster than physically possible” 2 ain’t it, Chief.
F16 HUNTER wrote:
With the amount of development time, it should at least be a good Halo game.
Agreed, I just want it to be good.
I don't think this is a healthy benchmark to have. Halo 5 has really shown the Halo formula's age, and not in a good way. The franchise really needs to evolve beyond what has been rehashed for the past near two decades, go back to the roots and expand off the pillars of gameplay presented in Halo: CE. If 343i is actually going to try to do something new and reinvigorate Halo, I think we all need to lower our expectations to that 343i can get the franchise on track again instead of being over-reactionary.
Sev808 wrote:
Based. Halo 2 was a scrub filter.
I don't think so, but who knows. It's not good to put too much hype into a game. Just let the game speak for itself.
CMDR Kai wrote:
Sev808 wrote:
Yeah, no. The “best Halo game” is CE, with its perfectly balanced sandbox, excellent AI, and perfect Legendary difficulty.

That dual perspective story, the easier controls with vehicles, the fact that it wasn't a sandbox. That's all the reasons I needed. Don't get me wrong, Combat Evolved is still a benchmark sci-fi game but within it's series, Halo 2 still stands as a worthy successor. Though, full disclosure, I wanted that E3 version of New Mombasa rather than the one we got.

Oh, the lan parties I would have at lunch in High School, ah, those were the days.
Sev808 wrote:
Say what now? Talkin about multiplayer?
Sev808 wrote:
CMDR Kai wrote:
Sev808 wrote:

That dual perspective story, the easier controls with vehicles, the fact that it wasn't a sandbox. That's all the reasons I needed. Don't get me wrong, Combat Evolved is still a benchmark sci-fi game but within it's series, Halo 2 still stands as a worthy successor. Though, full disclosure, I wanted that E3 version of New Mombasa rather than the one we got.
Halo 2 is love. Halo 2 is life! <3

Perfection however doesn't exist. I wasn't too found about the boss fights, but it never was a deal-breaker for me. Also H5G got the price for worst boss fights in Halo already and I hope 343i is not going to trump it. XD Niaaa! The only major complain I've got with H2 was the linear level design. And that New Mombasa trailer kinda shows me that initially wider and open spaces were in fact planed. Sadly Bungie wanted too much out of that beast that was the original XBox. Still! Brutes and vehicles aside the AI was fantastic! Art direction and graphics was phenomenal back than and it still looks good, its story is the best of the entire saga (and I include the books in that, sue me), I loved every character even the minor in-game marines and your Elite companions, Grunts never were that funny, and seeing how many levels have only Covenant based weapons the mirrored sandbox in H2 actually makes sense. It's only Halo in the series where I don't mind it at all, at least in SP. And heck! H5G showed me that more open spaces can still feel linear and H4 was an ongoing tunnel with only three wide arenas that I can think of from start to finish! Such feeling of linearity never came to me in H2, so Bungie did something right with their limited spaces.

I also don't understand the complains on the highest difficulty. Heroic wasn't perfectly balanced like H3, but still close imho. Also, I for once enjoyed the challenge of legendary. HCE and H3 felt too easy to be called that, especially after trying out a certain single player mod (that shall not be mentioned or you shall be banned by the nonsensical rules pf this forum). Legendary should be frustrating and in parts over the top against the player and borderline unfair. It's the highest difficulty people! It should be a mode for people that know the enemy AI in and out, as well got perfect knowledge about the level design, secrets, weapon spawn... If not what's legendary about it? Just my two cents on H2 most criticised aspects!

- -

And because perfection doesn't exist and you can always improve upon a previous title Hi can theoretically surpass H2. Now, seeing how Hi is most probably solely focused on Chief and will be entirely play out on Zeta Halo, I doubt we'll get missions focused only on the Covi sandbox. I think having a specific role for every normal gun is important - I wouldn't mind variants in SP based on factions though or more powerful easter egg guns like in H5, but still. Variety over quantity please! Let us have interesting utility weapons! I also hope we get a major focus on enemy and friendly AI again. That is a huge thing that way too many are not considering and where H5 and especially H4 just failed miserably at. Halo's three faction warfare scenarios are amazing to say the least! But I can't see that happen again with the butchered AI we have now. Routine complexity is what made Halo's SP combat so special in first place imho! Just imagine an AI that can actually drive in Halo and is a real treat. Amazing, right?! I'll miss the new Kat already tough! XD

Good AI and better animations would also solve partially the issues with our robot "friends". Mechanical enemies are never easy to make interesting in a FPS, but we went from strange floating sentinels which could add something Flood and Covis couldn't to the battlefield, to yet another colour-coded humanoid faction - but without personality this time around. You want the humanoid and animal-like bots as enemies? Than they shouldn't feel like badly animated aliens. Make their movements sporadic, yet technical, precise. Make them fearless in their battle strategies, add features a normal being with flesh and blood wouldn't have. Teleportation was frankly the least interesting feature 343i could add to them. The sentinels nailed it even with their limited use, the Promethean don't.

Art direction is already checked out for me, let's see how the Covi's will look like in game though. Crossing my fingers for the music though! I have no doubts about the weapons however. Based on what we got so far 343i seems to have pulled out there A game this time around. Just... make Elite's sound like real Sangheilis and not like Brutes on steroids please. I'm begging you!

Game mechanics should be true to Halo. If I want AMM or super powers in a cover based shooter I would have bought Crysis 3. If Doom and Destiny feels more like Halo than actual Halo you did something wrong and the big majority of the community won't be happy. If the goal is getting new people to join our ship, okay! Show them why Halo was and still is so amazing! Bring back what worked, innovate than based on the existing mechanics, build upon them, expand the sandbox with interesting features too! But don't morph it into something that isn't our franchise! DMC5 did it and look how well it did!

Lastly story and characters need to be amazing. As well the writing! As Nappa said: I am hilarious and you will quote everything I say! And it's true! If a character is well written you can at paraphrase everything that comes out of their mouths and remember it fondly. It doesn't need to be funny either, it can be a badass one-lines, something really emotional, a really human reaction to something unexpected and so on. I can quote everything from HCE to Reach and even parts of H4 (even though it's a torture to play for me, so I've barely played ti compared to Bungie's entries). I can't do that with H5. Aside of "negative", it seems like every character enjoys saying it with the same serious tone... Everyone here seems like the same exact character because the dialogue is just exposition without any flair or personality! To be fair, Brohammer seems solving this issue already though! :)

So, yeah! Halo Infinite could become the best singleplayer in the franchise, it has to nail a lot though and being Halo 5's successor ain't a point in their favour. We shall see!
Doubt it. Halo 2 and Halo 3 will always be the best. 343i hasn't put out a single good Halo game at all so I'm still very skeptical about Halo Infinite. Before you can really form an accurate opinion about whether a game is good or not you have to see gameplay first which we haven't seen yet.
I disagree with you for me the best halo ever was halo 2 both multiplayer and campaign. Halo 3 for me bot multiplayer and campaign sucked. Halo 1 had a great campaign the multiplayer was good back then but didn't edged well like halo 2. Halo reach had good campaign and multiplayer. For me 343 did really good for halo 4 in term of campaign. Halo 5 for me had the best multiplayer of any halo game so far in term of game play, maps i don't think so. For infinite i think they will nailed it campaign and multiplayer of course some people will still complain.
It's absolutely possible that Infinite will be great Halo game. It's unfortunately impossible, given the current divide within the Halo community, for Infinite to be considered "the greatest" by the majority of players.

Some people want an evolution of Halo 5, whereas others want a return to a "classic" experience like Halo 2.

I believe that 343 has a better chance of creating a stellar campaign vs. multiplayer. A campaign that focuses on mystery, exploration, hope, etc. would be welcome by the majority of players as a return to form for Halo. This is the intended direction for the game per 343.

Multiplayer is simply too contentious. There is nothing they can do that will please everyone. If it's a traditional experience, the younger fans, or those who prefer Halo 5, will complain that the game feels "outdated". If it's an evolution of Halo 4/5 mechanics, the long-time players will complain that it's become just a generic, modern shooter.

Personally, I would welcome a return to a more classic multiplayer. An excellent video on "enhanced mobility is a lie in 90 seconds" explains how because modern Halo maps are designed around players having these new abilities, and because a lot of these abilities reduce your tactical options while using them, the end result is that you spend a large percentage of a match locked into a certain animation with FEWER total options at any time. So you lose the ability to, for example, shoot, or throw grenades, or turn around, without any real upside when compared with earlier games.

343 has stated multiple times recently that it is interested in ensuring that Halo retains its "unique identity and that it doesn't simply become an amalgamation of current market trends". I believe a step back from some of the Halo 5 excess is necessary to accomplish that goal.
Sev808 wrote:
Sev808 wrote:
Yes
Not a chance. 343 isn't competent enough to produce a title on par with the original trilogy.
One could hope.

Although, Halo CE might forever hold the mantle, since it is what started a series.
"The mantle"
I see what you did there...
Sev808 wrote:
Sev808 wrote:
Yes
I don't give a -Yoink- about multiplayer, most I played was locally with friends at school, beyond that, not a -Yoink- given. Halo for me will always be the single player, multiplayer is purely an afterthought. The fact that I have to suffer my way through MCC to get my armor bits back is annoying enough.
It's still too early IMO. I hope it turns out that way tho
beating HaloCE is a somewhat impossible task. Even Bungie tried to and couldn't again replicate the magic. So long as it's a very playable game with a nod to it's origins then I think 343 stands to make a worthwhile experience. It does make sense they are looking back to it's roots though so fingers crossed we get something really worthwhile
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. ...
  6. 5