Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Do you want it to end resolved or on a cliffhanger

OP TRUe REDEMPTI0N

The last couple of games have ended on cliffhangers, both before and after the credits. Some people have said they don't like the games are now more frequently ending on cliffhangers, while some are fine with it. For Infinite, do you want the game to end with resolution, with certain threads and arcs wrapped and the game comes to a resolved ending even though we know there will be sequels or do you want them to give it a cliffhanger as well?
This is suppose to be the end of a trilogy (4, 5 and Infinite) so it'll wrap up nicely I'd expect.
It's supposedly part of a saga, as in more than 3, so this probably will not be the end of this section of the story.

But I would prefer (as generally) someform of conclusion with a hint of openness as in, it's clearly a story by itself but it doesn't fully close the possibility of future content.

For example, a war can end but there is still possibility that another will spark when not all of the sides have been annihilated.

Cliffhangers are generally offputting & really cheap way of sequel baiting, it runs the risk of unfinished story, especially when cliffhangers are used continuously in story.
I guess I'd say I want both. I want the Created arc to conclude, but want to fight the Flood and Banished moving forward, so there would be a cliffhanger for that.
It's very possible to accomplish an episodically satisfying ending to Infinite without closing the door on compelling story threads for another sequel. Definitely doesn't have to be one or the other, and I'd say making it entirely episodic or open ended in its resolution would be a mistake.

If I were in charge of Infinite's story, I'd have its primary narrative goal revolve around resolving once and for all the Cortana/Created drama. Losing Cortana for real (and having to be the reason she's defeated) can definitely work as a bookend for the mainline Halo games so far without excluding more options for future games.
Due to the fact that Halo is taking place on one timeline, we will aways have a cliffhanger. The only exception is when you have a spinoff game, in which you focus on just one Battle (Like Reach), Operation Torpedo etc.

However, I'd like to see this "saga" to end. I couldn't care less about the created storyline, I don't like the Prometheans as the main enemy and I don't like the fact that Cortanas Ups and Downs are part of the main story for over a decade now. It started with Halo 3 and should've ended with 4. Then this whole mental breakdown thing continued throughout 5 and we will most likely witness this whole thing again in Infinite.
Like seriously, when will this issue be concluded? Either kill her off and let's have a fresh A.I. (But I highly doubt that, Cortana has been etablished as a huge marketing success) or let her main purpose be to act as a narrator throughout the game, like in CE & 2. I'd be fine with that.

I'm looking forward for factions like the Banished - but I hope they don't get wasted. Build up enemies made out flesh & blood, characters with motivations & emotions.
Seeing that they are going back to a more Halo CE theme I hope that Infinite's campaign wraps up nicely but ends with a "we're just getting started" moment. There doesn't need to be an open thread that is purposely left open to be continued in the next game. One of the biggest disappointments I've had with the last couple of Halo games is that they tend to leave plot threads hanging but wrap them up in a separate form of media - Spartan ops was wrapped up in a comic series and then never mentioned again, Halo 5 ended with a 'Created' take over of the Galaxy but from the sound of it Infinite will not directly conclude this story thread. So I hope every story/novel/game has it's own satisfactory ending and does truly stand on it own.

No matter what media form it takes 343 has a way of starting but either not following through with or just wrapping up story arks in odd ways - Guilty Spark from Halo 3 to the Forerunner trilogy - Smoke and Shadow - Renegades. It's just hard to keep pace with everything.
Bleh. Cliffhangers. I want things to wrap up nicely, but leave room for sequels. Halo CE did that well.
An ending with resolve and cliffhanging both isn’t impossible. They could have the created defeated and have humanity rebuilding as the ending of infinite. There’s the resolve to infinite. Then the next title could be a spinoff involving the flood and banished. Then the next main title could have humanity back to stage one trying to win a war against covenant and flood.
i'm fine with a cliffhanger as long as it's coherent
I remember back when people were mad about the h2 cliffhanger, I never had a problem with it got me hyped for h3
This is suppose to be the end of a trilogy (4, 5 and Infinite) so it'll wrap up nicely I'd expect.
It’s not a trilogy though.
It literally is. It's called the 'Forerunner Trilogy'.

Halo 1 to 3 was the Reclaimer trilogy, 4 to 6 (Infinite) is the Forerunner trilogy.

343i have mentioned this in past news reports and event briefings.

Halo 1 to 3 was the Reclaimer trilogy, 4 to 6 (Infinite) is the Forerunner trilogy.

343 have abandoned the "trilogy" aspect years ago, long before H5G came out.

On a side note, the "Forerunner trilogy" are the atrocious books by Greg Bear. If anything, the games are the "Reclaimer trilogy/saga".

That being said, nowhere is it specified that a saga is required to have more than three entries. They could have just tried to keep it vague so nobody can predict when the end is coming. Or they could simply have changed their minds after the horrendous reception of the last game.

@Topic: It would be nice to have a Halo game with an actual ending for once. Especially given the mess they came up with Cortana and the Prometheans. I just want a full stop to this arc so we can finally get past it.
I would say both, maybe.

What I mean is with Halo Infinite being a "spiritual reboot" I think it is very much a new starting point for Halo for the coming generation of gaming/gamers and will be the foundation of which new narratives are built. I think we will see a resolution to portions of the story so far and for it to be clear there is much more to come. I could see a Halo CE sort of ending where a conflict/conflicts (such as Halo 5) is resolved but it very much acts as a door way for the future.
I would like to see something resolute for once.

>>>>>Lazy link<<<<<It was called the “Reclaimer Trilogy” and then changed to the “Reclaimer Saga” roughly around the launch of Halo 4. So awhile ago..... and they still refer to is as the Reclaimer Saga. Now this doesn’t mean there has to be more then three games. It could be referring to other media releases as part of the saga as well (books, shows, etc).
For many reasons, I'd say the best and most satisfying thing to do would be to resolve the main issue/plot and end on a note that leaves you with many new questions which can hint at whats next to come.
If you had to put me on one side based off my earlier comment I suppose it would be for an ending that resolves.
Daek9415 wrote:
Due to the fact that Halo is taking place on one timeline, we will aways have a cliffhanger. The only exception is when you have a spinoff game, in which you focus on just one Battle (Like Reach), Operation Torpedo etc.

However, I'd like to see this "saga" to end. I couldn't care less about the created storyline, I don't like the Prometheans as the main enemy and I don't like the fact that Cortanas Ups and Downs are part of the main story for over a decade now. It started with Halo 3 and should've ended with 4. Then this whole mental breakdown thing continued throughout 5 and we will most likely witness this whole thing again in Infinite.
Like seriously, when will this issue be concluded? Either kill her off and let's have a fresh A.I. (But I highly doubt that, Cortana has been etablished as a huge marketing success) or let her main purpose be to act as a narrator throughout the game, like in CE & 2. I'd be fine with that.

I'm looking forward for factions like the Banished - but I hope they don't get wasted. Build up enemies made out flesh & blood, characters with motivations & emotions.
Exactly what i thougt about cortana and the prometheans.
Its time to move on and bring in something fresh
I hope the trilogy ends nicely and hints at a potential spin off game like ODST