Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Does halo 5s story make sense because of infinite?

OP quackerdoodle28

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I think it does because in halo 5, UNSC is too occupied with it's own civil war, which is the uprising of Cortana and the A.I.s to notice that the banished forces are growing stronger by the day. Atriox is smart, he saw what happened in the covenant, which basically tore itself apart. He is just waiting for the Human forces to do that so he can plan the perfect attack. In the infinite trailer, there was a hologram of UNSC and ONI people which were hunted down and killed because they were probably isolated in space from the UNSC infinity that might have been destroyed due to Cortana and the Banished. There was about 11,112 personnel on board and there probably was other UNSC ships in space. The Banished could have destroyed and killed most of those people and now are controlling the ark. This is just a suggestion or maybe lore but Idk, they are just my thoughts.
after hw2 i dont think that atriox will be in infinite(at least in the beginning.)
the banished in halo infinite are run by someone different(atleast i think)
i dont think the banished could kill human forces like infinity and other ships and the unsc not know without the entire structure of the ueg being non-exsistant

i dk thats just my thoughts
after hw2 i dont think that atriox will be in infinite(at least in the beginning.)
i dont think the banished could kill human forces like infinity and other ships and the unsc not know without the entire structure of the ueg being non-exsistant

Escharum (Banished leader from the gameplay trailer) will be leading the banished in Halo Infinite - at least by the looks of it. There’s more clarification on the current status The Banished & Atriox in the Shadows of Reach book, I won’t get into that here due to spoilers.
I mean, that doesn’t really make Halo 5’s story make sense as much as it helps explain how the Banished could rise to match the UNSC in terms of dominance in a post-Created galaxy.
The bigger picture is a little clearer, but the actual plot of Halo 5 is still disjointed and confusing. We're still jumping around WAY too much throughout the campaign. Chief is treated as just something everybody wants, yet their reasons for wanting him are irrelevant to the story (he's the McGuffin, in other words). TWO major villains are just swept aside with no fanfare or even a confrontation.

The only purpose Halo 5's story serves at this point is to set the new status quo for the Halo universe. All you need are a few select cutscenes to know why things are the way they are in Infinite. The Banished are the only ones never referenced in Halo 5, but it's not hard to imagine how they rose to prominence.
i have not read shadows of reach yet so i dont know the story BUT
are the created just gonna be absent from infinite
after halo 5 trying(and failing) to get us excited for this whole uprising thing
and in the next game they are just not there
after halo 5 trying(and failing) to get us excited for this whole uprising thing
They could very well appear later on in the game if too much conflict between the UNSC and the Banished is detected by Cortana.
The answer is simple:

You will be forced again to read tons of books and comics... Thanks - not
UNSC isn't necessarily having a civil war with Cortana since she has completely distanced herself from them and is part of the Created. The thing I notice with Halo Infinite and 343 in general is how they're distancing themselves from Halo 5. Halo Infinite looks like it's to use the old style of having it's own story bubble so people don't have to rely on backtracking in past titles to understand what's going on. But I think you might be a little lost if you have no knowledge on Halo Wars 2 and/or Shadows of Reach to have an idea of the Banished.
depending on where the story starts off in Infinite...without playing Infinite there's really no way of knowing whether H5 will connect or not. HW2 was pretty cool and the spoilers in 'Shadows of Reach' lead me to believe that those two could/should be referenced. Honestly H5 was all over the place though...it might not even be worth referencing other than the rise of The Created.
I dont really care about the halo 5 story, for me it is cortana got mad and wants the mantle.
I dont really care about the halo 5 story, for me it is cortana got mad and wants the mantle.
Pretty much, she's just super obsessed with Chief and wants to keep him safe so therefore if she controls the Galaxy or even the Universe, no one can fight, meaning Chief will never be called to battle, meaning he will forever be safe.
It's not that Halo 5's story doesn't make sense, that was never really the problem. The problem is that the story is unanimously considered a disservice to every single character featured in it. I don't think anything in Halo Infinite can rectify that, but maybe the game's plot can be good on its own (tbh, I'm not expecting much on that front)
343 has said that infinite will be 'spiritual reboot' where new players can hop on

having the banished and cortana in the story unless implemented really well completely contradicts this statement
It's not that Halo 5's story doesn't make sense, that was never really the problem. The problem is that the story is unanimously considered a disservice to every single character featured in it. I don't think anything in Halo Infinite can rectify that, but maybe the game's plot can be good on its own (tbh, I'm not expecting much on that front)
yes the characters suck -Yoink- on this game even chief fells wierd and cortana with his social justice armor, all the osiris and blue team spartans are just made to play with your friends, the plot of an ai taking control of the galaxy is nice but the execuiton is bad af.
343 has said that infinite will be 'spiritual reboot' where new players can hop on

having the banished and cortana in the story unless implemented really well completely contradicts this statement
All you have to do is give chief more or less the same explanation that SoF got about the banished and you're good to go.

Cortana is definitely a trickier subject though.

Its safe to say you won't be fighting Atriox at all in the base campaign. Luckily the UNSC/UEG is non-existent and whatever is left is getting dragged
The bigger picture is a little clearer, but the actual plot of Halo 5 is still disjointed and confusing. We're still jumping around WAY too much throughout the campaign. Chief is treated as just something everybody wants, yet their reasons for wanting him are irrelevant to the story (he's the McGuffin, in other words). TWO major villains are just swept aside with no fanfare or even a confrontation.

The only purpose Halo 5's story serves at this point is to set the new status quo for the Halo universe. All you need are a few select cutscenes to know why things are the way they are in Infinite. The Banished are the only ones never referenced in Halo 5, but it's not hard to imagine how they rose to prominence.
He's not, the Guardians are, Chief is needed by the UNSC to be a symbol of hope and experience in the field. Covenant and ex-covenant remnants want him dead, and the Created just want to capture him. There is no conventional way to fight the Didact, outside inference is necessary to fight him. 343i was on a path to distance 4 from 5 as much as possible.

Similar to CE you fight the Banished first, then stumble upon Cortana as revealed by Infinite's trailer with her there, the Created are not far behind.
The answer is simple:

Shadows of Reach was made with the purpose of not needing to read it, there is no reason they would repeat key EU knowledge to understand Infinite's story.
The answer is simple:

You kinda didn’t actually have to for the most part in 4 or really at all for 5. Only real thing would be where the Covenant we face in 4 comes from, but it’s not a hard conclusion to reach that the Covenant wasn’t all wiped out and once we see the shield world it’s clear why they are there. Not to say everything was explained the best, but you didn’t haven’t to devote hours of reading. Paying attention would do the job for a lot.
You kinda didn’t actually have to for the most part in 4 or really at all for 5. Only real thing would be where the Covenant we face in 4 comes from, but it’s not a hard conclusion to reach that the Covenant wasn’t all wiped out and once we see the shield world it’s clear why they are there. Not to say everything was explained the best, but you didn’t haven’t to devote hours of reading. Paying attention would do the job for a lot.
Blue Team shows up out of complete nowhere in Halo 5. This matters compared to say, Buck in Osiris. Buck going from ODST to Spartan, and being in Osiris, perfectly natural as an established character, even without New Blood. The rest of Osiris of course are just new characters with proper introductions. Blue Team however, act as new characters yet have a large history with Master Chief. It's more egregious than Cortana and Chief knowing one another before CE, or Dr. Halsey's random appearance in Reach. And that's due to Blue Team's importance in the gameplay and (some) dialogue often referring to the past. While the rest of Halo 4 and 5 do not require outside knowledge, Blue Team may be an example where it was required.
Bulbaby wrote:
Blue Team shows up out of complete nowhere in Halo 5. This matters compared to say, Buck in Osiris. Buck going from ODST to Spartan, and being in Osiris, perfectly natural as an established character, even without New Blood. The rest of Osiris of course are just new characters with proper introductions. Blue Team however, act as new characters yet have a large history with Master Chief. It's more egregious than Cortana and Chief knowing one another before CE, or Dr. Halsey's random appearance in Reach. And that's due to Blue Team's importance in the gameplay and (some) dialogue often referring to the past. While the rest of Halo 4 and 5 do not require outside knowledge, Blue Team may be an example where it was required.
I can grant that. Of course, we are informed that they have a history together. If you want to go deeper, you could read the books...or skim Halopedia or watch the myriad of YouTube videos about them. Their introduction in the games could have been better, and 343 still owes it to people who like them to give them another solid outing, but even Blue Team isn’t going to require hours of study to get.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2