Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Drop Wall* seems weak af

OP Feirsteax

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
This is just my two pennies, but I was playing some Halo 3 earlier today and I noticed how much of a game-changer the Bubble Shield can be in that game. Obviously this is because of two things:

1. it's indestructible
2. it completely encloses the players inside it, with no gaps
3. you can't shoot out of it if you're inside it

Now, I understand that the Drop Wall* in Halo Infinite can't be indestructible, since you can fire out of it from inside, but I did feel as if it was a bit weak.

I rarely felt as if it gave me a huge advantage in a fight. It did swing some battles, and that is cool, but it feels a little too small in surface area and a bit too narrow in terms of the shielded area for it to really feel like a power-move when I use it.

Maybe the area it covers could be broadened? Perhaps it could consist of an entire bubble, or maybe just a larger angle, so you feel as if you could throw it down in a wide open area and still get some good use out of it.

*Edit: corrected from Drop Shield to Drop Wall
Surely later they will include a shield bubble, that we have this equipment now does not mean that it will be the only equipment in the future.
It’s the one piece of equipment that needs the most work, at the moment it really does little to no good. Each panel should at least get a 10% increase to damage resistance if not a little bit more. I also think increasing the amount of panels and making them smaller like they were in the Campaign demo would be better as well.
The drop wall doesn't seem over power and underwhelming to me.

It's just powerful enough to help win 1v1s and not too powerful where its a moveable wall. But I wouldn't mind having a bubble shield
THE MAIN REASON that the Drop Wall is so fragile and only provides cover from one side is because of its offensive benefits as well : You can shoot through it on your side.
As such, it's understandably weaker because if used properly in a gunfight, it gives you an overwhelming advantage. During BTB, I used the Drop Wall with my team when the enemy tried storming the Control Point and we just blasted all of them with our guns while they had to first pop a hole in the wall before they can retaliate.

The Drop Wall should not be compared to the likes of Drop Shield or Bubble Shield.

However I still think that the Drop Shield from Halo Reach is the best iteration of the ability. The heal wasn't OP either because Reach is a game without regenerating Health underneath your Shields.

The Drop Shield is also one of the favourite Equipments of CQC loving players (like myself) where I can force players to come and fight me instead of having to duel with them using DMR/BR.
It's exactly as powerful as it needs to be.
KCD0DGER wrote:
Care to elaborate?
Feirsteax wrote:
KCD0DGER wrote:
Care to elaborate?
Any more powerful and it halts engagements instead of interrupts them. This is very bad.
Any more powerful and people will complain that its a crutch. It really doesn't need a buff. It's not something that's meant to be popped when you're in the middle of a fight and need something to save your butt when you're losing. The utility of it is to provide a preemptive barrier around a key holding point or perhaps an objective so that you can give yourself a small advantage against your enemy when the shooting begins.

It isn't a reactive tool.

It's not meant to be a thing like the Bubble Shield where you just pop it and there is very little that the opponent can do to confront it and kill the other player that used it.

It's not meant to be like Armor Lock where it slows down gameplay and puts both the operator and the other player in a situation where they have to play chicken/call for backup/walk away from the situation. And I think quite a few of us know how Armor Lock was received by the players that were vocal about its use.

I think it's fine as it is.
It's not to be as OP like a bubble shield, more or less just to get around corners or somewhere without taking those initial shots.
The drop wall almost guarantees that you will have the first shot in your engagements. That's a huge advantage.

Now combine this with a sniper. The enemy would have to spend another shot to descope you.

I do not think the drop wall needs a buff. I personally think it is fine as it is.
Bubble shield was just for people to camp in and slow the game down. Infinite has no need for things like that. Just like the regen it was just a "press X to win" mechanic.
It does feel a bit useless tbh. It doesn't need a big buff at all though. Just a little stronger.
Personally I would say it's more a remake of the deployable cover rather than the bubble shield. I like the idea but it's not quite there yet.
I feel like it's in the right spot. The intention is that the panels absorb 1 or 2 shots or enough damage to provide you with an advantage in 1v1 engagements. I guess it could maybe do with a 1 shot increase but anymore would skew to balance too much in favour of the user and would just become frustrating to go up against.
People are using it wrong.

How most people use it:
  1. Enemy shoots you
  2. You return fire but your shields are weakened
  3. You deploy drop wall
  4. Drop wall is destroyed immediately by enemy who is still shooting at you
  5. You die.
How it's meant to be used (one example):
  1. You are coming up on an area where enemies are likely
  2. You deploy drop wall in advance
  3. You see enemies and engage them
  4. Strafe behind your drop wall to spread the damage it absorbs evenly
The drop wall is a preparatory equipment, and is typically only useful in a reactive situation for something you see coming from a distance, like a grenade, rocket, or scope glint from a long range weapon. At that point, you drop it and continue to retreat!

Too many people sit completely still behind it while shooting. The sections of shield can be broken very quickly, so strafing behind it is important. The shield emitter itself is very weak, though, I can agree that it needs to be a bit stronger.
I would rather carry one bubble shield over three drop walls any day.
Here's why I think the drop wall doesn't fit the sandbox. In a sandbox you WANT to pick up toys. Most people fight over the toys they WANT them so badly. I don't think I would ever fight over a drop wall.

On Bazaar I would go out to the middle ground level for the grapple shot or the Camo. I definitely would NOT just for the drop wall. I think the same could be said for the pulse carbine, is that what it was called. I'm not sure I disliked it quite a bit. I want the Plasma Rifle back.
It’s the one piece of equipment that needs work the most.
I mean I still have no idea what the disruptor is good for.
Phaaze wrote:
Any more powerful and people will complain that its a crutch. It really doesn't need a buff. It's not something that's meant to be popped when you're in the middle of a fight and need something to save your butt when you're losing. The utility of it is to provide a preemptive barrier around a key holding point or perhaps an objective so that you can give yourself a small advantage against your enemy when the shooting begins.

It isn't a reactive tool.

It's not meant to be a thing like the Bubble Shield where you just pop it and there is very little that the opponent can do to confront it and kill the other player that used it.

It's not meant to be like Armor Lock where it slows down gameplay and puts both the operator and the other player in a situation where they have to play chicken/call for backup/walk away from the situation. And I think quite a few of us know how Armor Lock was received by the players that were vocal about its use.

I think it's fine as it is.
I feel like most people are just using it wrong and assuming it's worthless because they are comparing it to the bubble shield. They want it to be a reactive ability that can be used when the fight has already started. As is right now I think it's in a fine spot but more time is really needed than a few hours a day over a weekend to really gage balancing. When dropped before the start of a fight the couple shot advantage you get from being behind it should be enough to win most fights unless you are getting out aimed.
I agree that its weak. it only takes like one bullet and a tile is gone but i think they should allow it to be way stronger but you cant shoot through it. This allows the shield to be used more as a depolable cover when your out in the open and allow you to think of a strategy to escape or fight.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2