Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

dual wealding

OP RobertReyell

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Do u thank that should bring it Back
At least in campaign and perhaps in non-competitive gamemodes where balancing doesnt matter that much but just maybe not in competitive modes.
It was fun. I definitely enjoyed it, but it doesn't lend itself well to keeping a balanced sandbox.
I loved dual-wielding in Halo 3. I want it to come back, but I understand it'd wprobably interfere with gameplay mechanics like advanced movement or armor abilities.
I wouldn't mind that. Just balance it
maxammo365 wrote:
I thank that would be the best route
Dual wielding is aways cool, but they should balance.
Maybe founding on the ground like Halo 5.
I definitely think it should as long as it’s balanced. Nothing beats the feeling of running into battle with duel smgs. The only thing that should change is to keep it out of competitive play. Another thing is that the weapons that can be dual welded shouldn’t be useless on their own. Weapons shouldn’t have to be dual welded to be useful.
I definitely think it should as long as it’s balanced. Nothing beats the feeling of running into battle with duel smgs. The only thing that should change is to keep it out of competitive play. Another thing is that the weapons that can be dual welded shouldn’t be useless on their own. Weapons shouldn’t have to be dual welded to be useful.
That is the biggest hurdle, how do you achieve that?

Either dual wielding is brought back just as a weapon modeled as two, one in each hand, or for there to be any fun and practical use for it other than being "kewl", the entire weapon sandbox along with player health has to be redesigned from the ground.

For instance, increase player shields and health, have plasma weapons deal significant damage to shields but insignificant damage to health, and the other way around for ballistics.
Naqser wrote:

Either dual wielding is brought back just as a weapon modeled as two, one in each hand, or for there to be any fun and practical use for it other than being "kewl", the entire weapon sandbox along with player health has to be redesigned from the ground.

For instance, increase player shields and health, have plasma weapons deal significant damage to shields but insignificant damage to health, and the other way around for ballistics.
Bingo. I think Halo 2 actually did a good job with this. Although, I don't mind a weapon on its own being weak if simply picking up the next weapon you come across to dual-wield is viable. That was actually the case in Halo 2, but I think it was done well.
It doesn't do anything for me so I don't hope for it to come back. I would rather a gun be semi useful. The problem with dual wielding is that it makes the individual weapons borderline useless
In campaign, yes.
In multiplayer, no.
Dual wielding should be brought back 100%.
It was by far one of the most fun elements of Halo 2 and 3 and with the excessive amounts of weapons that 343 has made, that will probably return in Infinite from Guardians, Halo 6 truly has the potential for some badass weapon combos. Of course there are some issues to tackle, such as balancing issues and how using two weapons at once could interfere with spartan abilities and such, but I have solution ideas for both.
Balancing:
It's fairly difficult to master the art of 'dual wielding balance' so to speak. The weapons must be effective on their own while not being overpowered when used with another. I, personally, feel that the second and third games did this pretty well so just stick with how it was done there. An alternative would be to have fixed sets of dual weapons but that would succ a lot of the fun factor out of dual wielding.To conclude my thoughts on balancing issues, use the Halo 2/3 formula.
Interference:
One simple fix: GET RID OF SPRINT AND SPARTAN ABILITIES! On a serious note, that probably will not happen so let's find some ways around that.
To be frank, the only interference I see is with spartan charge and ground pound so, just like when melee is in use, have the second weapon drop. I don't see it interfering with sprint, dash, clamber or stabilize. Some may think wielding two weapons while clambering could be problematic, so to that I say: have the second weapon drop.

That's my two cents on the matter, anyway. What do you lads think?
Naqser wrote:

Bingo. I think Halo 2 actually did a good job with this. Although, I don't mind a weapon on its own being weak if simply picking up the next weapon you come across to dual-wield is viable. That was actually the case in Halo 2, but I think it was done well.
I'm talking about very noticeable differencs.
Like having massive TTKs with one weapon alone (non power weapon). Forcing players to rely on combos, both for single wields and dual wields.

Plasma weapons would chew shields while not really make a difference to health, while ballistics would see it the other way around.

That'd allow dual wields to have use on their own while at the same time not be too powerful while dual wielded. A plasma rifle alone would chew shields, and the player could then switch to a Battle Rifle or an Assault Rifle. However comboing a Plasma Rifle with an SMG and you wouldn't have to switch weapons, along with another thing I'll talk about now.

Combo effects: Different weapons could have different effects on their combo weapon. For instance, an SMG could make needles travel faster, let's explain it through air tunnels for the needles caused by the bullets. The bullets could also cause sligthly more damage by attracting microcrystals into them which then are embedded into the target. A Plasma Rifle could energize bullets making their shield damage higher, while the bullets again cauae the plasma rounds to travel faster. And so forth for different combos.

Another aspect that could be (re)introduced is status effects. Halo CE had the Plasma Rifle and the Ghost cause players to "freeze", ministuns or however you want to describe it.
Then Halo 3 could set players on fire with the firebombs and the flamethrower.

Consider that we have covenant weapons firing radioactive material, that being the fuel rod and the carbine, which could have damage over time effects. Forerunner weapons / tools could see temporal effects such as time slows or time speed increase affecting everything in an area or a specific player.

That is what I think is needed for Dual Wielding to actually be a viable mechanic. While yes it was fun to do, I don't really think Halo 2-3 did it that good for it to return as it was then, and neither do I really see it that useful an addition now when nothing really has changed. I mean, the sandbox feels like it has several duplicates as it is. There's really not much interesting going around.
I would add a secondary fire mode to all dual wielding weapons, however you can use that function only by using the gun without holding another. Exception made for the plasma gun, maybe? Details. The point is, if every small weapon has a gimmick it can become useful even when held singularly. On the other side when dual wielded you get the higher damage output.

It could be a good way to balance it, what do you guys and gurls think? 😃
It's something that people have been asking for since Bungie removed it in Reach, and personally I'd like to see it make a return just to diversify 343's stale gameplay. Though in reality they'll probably patch it in five months after release with a few other Halo 2 elements and herald it as the "true" return to form update. That's how these live services tend to work—release 1/8 of a game and tack features onto it that were ready days/ weeks/ months prior to the game going gold.
It's something that people have been asking for since Bungie removed it in Reach, and personally I'd like to see it make a return just to diversify 343's stale gameplay. Though in reality they'll probably patch it in five months after release with a few other Halo 2 elements and herald it as the "true" return to form update. That's how these live services tend to work—release 1/8 of a game and tack features onto it that were ready days/ weeks/ months prior to the game going gold.
Second that. Rare got the same treatment with SoT apparently. If the rumors are true the team actually planed and developed quite a few more ships than they delivered. However everything in game needs to be checked and green-lit by MS and it took so long to approve, the game had to ship without them - pun intended! It ain't easy to work for such big company nowadays. The gaming industry is bigger than ever and makes more money than the movies and cinema now, but because of that it also has become expensive to produce, brutally regulated and deluded with garbage mechanics to get as much money out from us as possible (day one DLCs, MTs, preorder bonuses, lootboxes and other fun gambling tricks).
maxammo365 wrote:
I thank that would be the best route
Agreeing on this
Yes I do. I think duel wielding was awesome. It feels awesome to use two weapons at once. I hope duel wielding should return in Halo Infinite along with playable Elites, and I already know split-screen will be there, which is great.
Even longer, we didn’t have dual wielding since Halo ODST. I haven’t played Halo Infinite to say what will and won’t be patched in or out post launch.

OP I am fine with dual wielding in Custom Games, Campaign, and Social. BUT not competitive.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2