Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Editing/Saving Weapon Customizations

OP Co2 OUTBR3AK

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Ok, so I'm sure this idea has dawned on players, but there's a Forge mechanic introduced as a glitch in Halo 5 that received widespread positive player feedback, so much in fact, that 343 left it in as a fun way to mess with a given weapons mechanics. If you are some of the few that haven't heard of this, you're in for a really cool surprise. Basically, when 343 added in REQ variants for spawning on a Weapon Pad, there may have been a scripting oversight that let players mix weapon functions, so you could have a BR that shot sniper rounds, an SMG that lobs Plasma Caster shots at high rates, and even a Sentinel Beam that unleashes hundreds of guidable rockets in a matter of seconds.

So, what if in Infinite, 343 expanded on this idea in the form of Weapon Customization?

Basically a given weapon can have customized features broken down into a few generic groups: Shell, Projectile, and Function. The shell option is basically what the weapon looks like from the default list of weapons in the game. The Projectile option lets you choose what specific bullet from another weapon you want to assign for your weapon to shoot. And the Function option basically copies the functions of how another weapon works with it's options. Obviously some would be incompatible (like mixing certain melee weapons with guns).

This could open infinite possibilities for weapon creation. As a basic fundamental it would be great to have at least the ability to do this when Infinite releases with the option to save a given weapon variant (like grouped objects in H5 Forge) with a custom name that can appear on screen. Over time tho, options could be added to include visual effects to distinguish the custom weapons from default variants, as well as possibly expanding current options for adjusting damage percentage per bullet, magazine size, and adding death effects.

I know it's a Longshot, but man, imagine what you could make. Imagine how some weapons could be created specifically for competitive play, or even to mix up Action Sack games in a crazy manner, without messing up the core sandbox. It's really all positives, and honestly for the most basic of functions, just letting a player swap a weapons projectiles wouldn't be that hard as it was accidentally done in Halo 5 already.

What do you guys think? Would you support 343 in letting content creators expand the world to Infinite proportions with weapons as well as maps and visuals?
No crafting, I'm sick of it in Video Games.

Customization like skins, sure.
Crafting depends on what game we are going for an what type of systems we are. In a game that is more of an RPG crafting is a part as with RNGs there is an expected imbalance between players of different progression, crafting was 1 part collection which took some time and another part repetition as crafting was often randomized to provide a sense that one was getting better at their trade with their "crafting level" increasing to get better and better drops. At least it was before you could just put in your credit card and buy everything through loot box attachments.

Halo has more of a action shooter, yes there is disparity between skill level as one who plays the game more would likely be able to beat someone who just started their first match, but there is an expectation that everyone there starts off on equal footing. Crafting just like the Req packs makes it so that people don't start with equal footing.

Now you mentioned a forge that allowed you to steal all the req items to make your own game mode (I do approve the exploitation of this bug by the way). You could make a unique game mode where one could start with say a cheap magnium or plasma pistol then craft their way to better guns. I don't know how this would be accomplished in forge, this might be closer to the realm with modding and while 343 is cool with mods for older games I don't think they would be too thrilled with their latest iteration being reversed engineered. If they ditched paid Req packs in Halo 5 and just make them a loot item that was showered upon players in the game, then perhaps modders could turn the req system into some sort of crafting system as a mod for Halo 5. If that ever became the case I would actually buy and play the game just to try it out. Might not care for the story and the spartan abilities, but at least it won't be as abhorrent of a system as it is now.
X19Doug95 wrote:

But imagine being able to modify the damage, fire rate, projectile, ammo count etc in forge. Like you spawn a weapon like a magnum open up its options and you can make it full auto with triple ammo capacity but you decide to reduce its damage. Or you spawn a launcher weapon and make it so it fires a wraith round. Basically modding without mods
Great Idea! I NEED ITTTTTTT!

but only in forge
That was the point, only in Forge. And it's not like an RPG element like collecting things to actually make them. I mean more or less adjust settings for weapons and altering projectiles.
I've posted this idea here over a year ago. It's still a good one.
If the game is rpg, it might be possible.
X19Doug95 wrote:

How about armor customization instead of weapon?
I support this idea.

Each weapon could have a sub menu where you can select the following after spawning it in Forge:
Projectile Type: Bullet, plasma, needler, beam, etc.
Projectile Color
Projectile Speed
Maximum Range (at which point the projectile disappears)
Damage
Rate of Fire
Magazine Size
Reticle Size

Might not be the most expansive in-depth level of customization that could be accomplished with dev tools, but map makers could do so much with it, the results could be epic.
X19Doug95 wrote:

But imagine being able to modify the damage, fire rate, projectile, ammo count etc in forge. Like you spawn a weapon like a magnum open up its options and you can make it full auto with triple ammo capacity but you decide to reduce its damage. Or you spawn a launcher weapon and make it so it fires a wraith round. Basically modding without mods
We are talking customs and forge only right?
X19Doug95 wrote:

yes.

Obviously not in competitive arena and canon. (maybe campaign skulls thou, or other Easter eggs)
This would be fantastic
I would like to see that but only in Forge.
X19Doug95 wrote:

Yeah basically

But just imagine if you could change the colour palette like you can with th objects in forge. 343 could show off what players can do by recreating some weapon variants like the plasma rifle. If that returned they could use the new forge system to change its colour to that of the brute plasma rifle. Then change it's fire rate etc etc you get the idea. Now that's just an example. With how creative the community can be I think we should be given more tools and capabilities to create truly outrageous game types and modes and maps
As a forge only thing, I'm in total favor of it, but I don't want to see it anywhere else, especially in multiplayer.
This would be great for forge and custom games. The community has shown they can create amazing game modes to play in forge, so imagine what they could do with this mechanic.
For forge and Custom games would be a very fun thing. Imagine a playlist you spawn with these weapons with random characteristics, like a crazier Fiesta. The combinations are endless!
Well, since it's a Customs-exclusive, then yeah, why not?
Ok, so I'm sure this idea has dawned on players, but there's a Forge mechanic introduced as a glitch in Halo 5 that received widespread positive player feedback, so much in fact, that 343 left it in as a fun way to mess with a given weapons mechanics. If you are some of the few that haven't heard of this, you're in for a really cool surprise. Basically, when 343 added in REQ variants for spawning on a Weapon Pad, there may have been a scripting oversight that let players mix weapon functions, so you could have a BR that shot sniper rounds, an SMG that lobs Plasma Caster shots at high rates, and even a Sentinel Beam that unleashes hundreds of guidable rockets in a matter of seconds.

So, what if in Infinite, 343 expanded on this idea in the form of Weapon Crafting?

Basically a given weapon can have customized features broken down into a few generic groups: Shell, Projectile, and Function. The shell option is basically what the weapon looks like from the default list of weapons in the game. The Projectile option lets you choose what specific bullet from another weapon you want to assign for your weapon to shoot. And the Function option basically copies the functions of how another weapon works with it's options. Obviously some would be incompatible (like mixing certain melee weapons with guns).

This could open infinite possibilities for weapon creation. As a basic fundamental it would be great to have at least the ability to do this when Infinite releases with the option to save a given weapon variant with a custom name that can appear on screen. Over time tho, options could be added to include visual effects to distinguish the custom weapons from default variants, as well as possibly expanding current options for adjusting damage percentage per bullet, magazine size, and adding death effects.

I know it's a Longshot, but man, imagine what you could make. Imagine how some weapons could be created specifically for competitive play, or even to mix up Action Sack games in a crazy manner, without messing up the core sandbox. It's really all positives, and honestly for the most basic of functions, just letting a player swap a weapons projectiles wouldn't be that hard as it was accidentally done in Halo 5 already.

What do you guys think? Would you support 343 in letting content creators expand the world to Infinite proportions with weapons as well as maps and visuals?
I would agree that this is a cool feature but if 343i were to do expand on this then they should ONLY do it for forge NOT in either multiplayer or campaign
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3