Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Editing/Saving Weapon Customizations

OP Co2 OUTBR3AK

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Forge only or in rpgs like skyrim and fallout ect….

Keep it simple like the original trilogy.
X19Doug95 wrote:
No crafting, I'm sick of it in Video Games.

Customization like skins, sure.
How about armor customization instead of weapon?
Pretty sure expansive armor customization has been promised.

As for the OP, i loved the glitched and would love to see this get ingame treatment. Would be very fun for customs and forging. As already stated, it wouldnt be present in arena or campaign but might throw sum fun twists in action sack or social gametypes that would be appropriate for exotic weapons.
X19Doug95 wrote:

Pretty sure expansive armor customization has been promised.

As for the OP, i loved the glitched and would love to see this get ingame treatment. Would be very fun for customs and forging. As already stated, it wouldnt be present in arena or campaign but might throw sum fun twists in action sack or social gametypes that would be appropriate for exotic weapons.
Well I only mentioned Arena/MM simply because the more options we have, the more that Pro-tiered players and even the community can do their own set of "weapon tuning" in customs. Actual weapons crafted for a competitive environment COULD be established. Fun and goofy weapons put in for Action Sack. It doesn't have to be goofy weapons being authored using this. We can actually expand functions of certain weapons, which in reality, basically means making our own REQ variants.
to be honest, I just want to see normal weapons again. im tired of req weapons, they over-saturate halo 5's multiplayer. while the weapon combining glitch was fun and cool, it became sort of frustrating when they were constantly put into forge maps. I've seen some pretty good forge maps ruined by having a nornfang-jorges machine gun or grenade launcher-sentinel beam or nornfang-sentinel beam or literally anything mixed with the nornfang.
Only in forge? Why not make it for all PvE? We already have different variants of weapons, why not just make that more detailed and customizable.
I don't think bringing consequential crafting into competitive Halo is a good idea, since the game is at its best historically when the playing field is as even and balanced as possible and the addition of that kind of mechanic on top of whatever advanced movement options and/or overwhelming sandbox elements are included in Infinite might just be asking for trouble.

If it remains something that's glitchable in Forge and Customs, though? Yeah, I'm in favor of that. It could really empower the community to come up with some crazy interesting stuff and it would make Action Sack a whole other level of over the top. I wouldn't want them to prioritize adding weapon "glitching" above the main mechanics of the game, but as a fun afterthought it could be really nice.
I don't think bringing consequential crafting into competitive Halo is a good idea, since the game is at its best historically when the playing field is as even and balanced as possible and the addition of that kind of mechanic on top of whatever advanced movement options and/or overwhelming sandbox elements are included in Infinite might just be asking for trouble.

If it remains something that's glitchable in Forge and Customs, though? Yeah, I'm in favor of that. It could really empower the community to come up with some crazy interesting stuff and it would make Action Sack a whole other level of over the top. I wouldn't want them to prioritize adding weapon "glitching" above the main mechanics of the game, but as a fun afterthought it could be really nice.
Well see that's the entire point of it. And not that it really makes much of a vocal difference, but having the option and ability to have modified, yet balanced, alternate weapons in matchmaking would be feasible. If anything, things get playtested by groups, pros, and the 343 team before anything hits Live, so why not allow actual functional weapons to try and be introduced? Having a Grenade Launcher with a Threat Detector secondary, or even the Hydra shooting Plasma Caster shots ala Reach's Plasma Launcher?

Depending on what's brought back and introduced, I'd imagine we wouldn't need to fulfill any missing weapons prior to this iteration, but something to expand weapon customization in the game to any extent would be welcomed by majority of the community.
I can see what you're getting at, I just don't necessarily believe that balancing a mechanic like this in a competitive context is at all a simple matter. I'm not really a fan of the "just make it a toggle," argument for this or any other proposed mechanical complication in Halo because I believe it'll divide the community and dillute the identity of the game.

The fact that Halo 5 was extensively tested internally at 343i and checked by MLG gamers prior to release ultimately didn't ensure that it was a very balanced experience in the end result, so I don't have much confidence that they'd be able to make something like this work much better.

That being said, I still do like the idea as something that you can implement in Forge/Customs to see what the community can come up with. I think on the competitive side of things, Infinite really needs to keep it simple and optimize the living daylight out of a relatively basic Halo experience. Just my personal take, though.

The uptake of it being introduced in Customs/Forge is that if the community does something really cool with it it can find its way into matchmaking organically, like back in the old days with modes like Grifball.
I can see what you're getting at, I just don't necessarily believe that balancing a mechanic like this in a competitive context is at all a simple matter. I'm not really a fan of the "just make it a toggle," argument for this or any other proposed mechanical complication in Halo because I believe it'll divide the community and dillute the identity of the game.

The fact that Halo 5 was extensively tested internally at 343i and checked by MLG gamers prior to release ultimately didn't ensure that it was a very balanced experience in the end result, so I don't have much confidence that they'd be able to make something like this work much better.

That being said, I still do like the idea as something that you can implement in Forge/Customs to see what the community can come up with. I think on the competitive side of things, Infinite really needs to keep it simple and optimize the living daylight out of a relatively basic Halo experience. Just my personal take, though.

The uptake of it being introduced in Customs/Forge is that if the community does something really cool with it it can find its way into matchmaking organically, like back in the old days with modes like Grifball.
Yes. It was meant as a more confined component. Let the people that enjoy Forge and Customs have their fun. Keep it segregated from the initial base weapons and matchmaking. If it finds its way in, it should be in the form of more Action Sack-y type gamemodes. If anything, it gives the fun and aesthetic feel of how modding would be in previous Halo games (albeit the lighter side of not cheating to do it).

One of the things that's appealing to the human mind is doing things that aren't meant to be done. Letting creativity and testing play a role in how functions work. I mean, what all you could do with weapons is simplified to more simple settings that players can tune. I agree though, it must be segregated from the base mechanics of the game.....just as long as we aren't stuck with an Arena in Infinite that runs solely on Magnums, I'll be happy on that front. Better scripting, or even gametypes scripting as a whole, would work wonders here, on top of dev tools to create dev maps that look, work, and play better instead of "here's Forge, good luck on finding the right balance of objects, weapons, and scripts so that things don't break at random."
Ok, so I'm sure this idea has dawned on players, but there's a Forge mechanic introduced as a glitch in Halo 5 that received widespread positive player feedback, so much in fact, that 343 left it in as a fun way to mess with a given weapons mechanics. If you are some of the few that haven't heard of this, you're in for a really cool surprise. Basically, when 343 added in REQ variants for spawning on a Weapon Pad, there may have been a scripting oversight that let players mix weapon functions, so you could have a BR that shot sniper rounds, an SMG that lobs Plasma Caster shots at high rates, and even a Sentinel Beam that unleashes hundreds of guidable rockets in a matter of seconds.

So, what if in Infinite, 343 expanded on this idea in the form of Weapon Crafting?

Basically a given weapon can have customized features broken down into a few generic groups: Shell, Projectile, and Function. The shell option is basically what the weapon looks like from the default list of weapons in the game. The Projectile option lets you choose what specific bullet from another weapon you want to assign for your weapon to shoot. And the Function option basically copies the functions of how another weapon works with it's options. Obviously some would be incompatible (like mixing certain melee weapons with guns).

This could open infinite possibilities for weapon creation. As a basic fundamental it would be great to have at least the ability to do this when Infinite releases with the option to save a given weapon variant with a custom name that can appear on screen. Over time tho, options could be added to include visual effects to distinguish the custom weapons from default variants, as well as possibly expanding current options for adjusting damage percentage per bullet, magazine size, and adding death effects.

I know it's a Longshot, but man, imagine what you could make. Imagine how some weapons could be created specifically for competitive play, or even to mix up Action Sack games in a crazy manner, without messing up the core sandbox. It's really all positives, and honestly for the most basic of functions, just letting a player swap a weapons projectiles wouldn't be that hard as it was accidentally done in Halo 5 already.

What do you guys think? Would you support 343 in letting content creators expand the world to Infinite proportions with weapons as well as maps and visuals?
It is very very unlikely we will see anything like this in a Halo game ever. I might possibly be fun but ONLY in forge and ONLY a way to mess around. This being in multiplayer and campaign would be absolutely terrible. But I assume you just mean forge anyway
Ok, so I'm sure this idea has dawned on players, but there's a Forge mechanic introduced as a glitch in Halo 5 that received widespread positive player feedback, so much in fact, that 343 left it in as a fun way to mess with a given weapons mechanics. If you are some of the few that haven't heard of this, you're in for a really cool surprise. Basically, when 343 added in REQ variants for spawning on a Weapon Pad, there may have been a scripting oversight that let players mix weapon functions, so you could have a BR that shot sniper rounds, an SMG that lobs Plasma Caster shots at high rates, and even a Sentinel Beam that unleashes hundreds of guidable rockets in a matter of seconds.

So, what if in Infinite, 343 expanded on this idea in the form of Weapon Crafting?

Basically a given weapon can have customized features broken down into a few generic groups: Shell, Projectile, and Function. The shell option is basically what the weapon looks like from the default list of weapons in the game. The Projectile option lets you choose what specific bullet from another weapon you want to assign for your weapon to shoot. And the Function option basically copies the functions of how another weapon works with it's options. Obviously some would be incompatible (like mixing certain melee weapons with guns).

This could open infinite possibilities for weapon creation. As a basic fundamental it would be great to have at least the ability to do this when Infinite releases with the option to save a given weapon variant with a custom name that can appear on screen. Over time tho, options could be added to include visual effects to distinguish the custom weapons from default variants, as well as possibly expanding current options for adjusting damage percentage per bullet, magazine size, and adding death effects.

I know it's a Longshot, but man, imagine what you could make. Imagine how some weapons could be created specifically for competitive play, or even to mix up Action Sack games in a crazy manner, without messing up the core sandbox. It's really all positives, and honestly for the most basic of functions, just letting a player swap a weapons projectiles wouldn't be that hard as it was accidentally done in Halo 5 already.

What do you guys think? Would you support 343 in letting content creators expand the world to Infinite proportions with weapons as well as maps and visuals?
It is very very unlikely we will see anything like this in a Halo game ever. I might possibly be fun but ONLY in forge and ONLY a way to mess around. This being in multiplayer and campaign would be absolutely terrible. But I assume you just mean forge anyway
Yes I meant forge and customs with the only possibility for matchmaking being Action Sack gametypes, so long as the creations are somewhat balanced and fun to use.
No. Terrible idea.

Crating doesn't fit into Halo or the universe in the way it does with Survival games such as Dead Space... I'd argue that even some of these weapons skins in Halo 5 go too far, with most looking ridiculous. Even if there was weapon crafting, it would likely be poorly executed for simplified to the point where it's a joke.

There is no place for it in Halo's mainstream games.

Now- If you want a survival-horror Halo game with limited weapon crafting, that would be worth discussing.
Let’s not call it crafting but yes this on forge would be perfect, also modular weapons in multiplayer is still a good thing as long as none of it is broken and everyone has access to it so people will stop -Yoinking!- about a lot of things being imbalanced... but for the love of god no more preset variants of anything
Vicex EMS wrote:
No. Terrible idea.

Crating doesn't fit into Halo or the universe in the way it does with Survival games such as Dead Space... I'd argue that even some of these weapons skins in Halo 5 go too far, with most looking ridiculous. Even if there was weapon crafting, it would likely be poorly executed for simplified to the point where it's a joke.

There is no place for it in Halo's mainstream games.

Now- If you want a survival-horror Halo game with limited weapon crafting, that would be worth discussing.
Ok look I don't mean it in the literal sense of crafting like you're thinking of other games. I only call it that because you're basically choosing and adjust all viable stats and options for a given weapon and able to save it as a custom weapon under its own name for quick use in Forge.
Seems like OP really shot himself in the foot by choosing the word “crafting” lol.
lemon cup wrote:
Seems like OP really shot himself in the foot by choosing the word “crafting” lol.
Yeah, I'm editing the post lol. People are assuming I meant literal crafting like in other games (which genres I don't even play).

I would agree that this is a cool feature but if 343i were to do expand on this then they should ONLY do it for forge NOT in either multiplayer or campaign
Well if done correctly it could be added into multiplayer. After all what is the purpose of Forge if none of the maps are going to enter the playlists?

That being said there does need to be some sort of feedback system for Forge. Let people know if something is not working or if the balance is too much in favor of one side or not.
I could see it working pretty well, especially if it can be used to edit starting weapons in multiplayer. Could be used to make sims of older Halos pretty accurately. Question comes down to if you could also edit the weapons that spawn on the map in custom game modes.

Like, I'm sure it can be done (Just make 'custom weapon spawn zone(s)' as a forge item and then add a custom weapon category in game options.).

Actually, come to think of it, I think a custom weapon spawn zone forge item and a custom weapon option in the game mode options menu would be more user-friendly and easier to code/put together than the option specifically implement a specific custom weapon onto the map.
I wouldn't like that much of change, I already despise Halo 5's weapon variants.

Let the sandbox be awesome again like before Halo 4 (and hopefully much bigger).
X19Doug95 wrote:

But imagine being able to modify the damage, fire rate, projectile, ammo count etc in forge. Like you spawn a weapon like a magnum open up its options and you can make it full auto with triple ammo capacity but you decide to reduce its damage. Or you spawn a launcher weapon and make it so it fires a wraith round. Basically modding without mods
While that seems cool for something like an RPG. I would rather 343 just introduced new versions of the existing guns with new fireing styles. While you also introduced ammo power ups like Mass Effect.
X19Doug95 wrote:

Any difference on how it is or was in the past? But I am going to aay that it is kind of pointless as how many times do you look at yourself or get a good look at the other players. After Halo 3 it was hard to tell what people even had in tbh
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3