Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Enemy Species and the Chance of Humans as Enemies

OP Lorient Avandi

I wanted to see what thoughts are on what species we may see in Infinite as enemies or even as potential allies. You can just list off species you believe/want to be in the game (though please specify if it is a belief or a want), or you can do as I am and give some reasoning as to why you think what you do. I think a lot is up in the air, though I think it is highly likely we will see a return of a primary enemy faction with a possibility of a secondary faction.
For reference, the primary(1), secondary(2), and tertiary(3) (though tertiary is so much less in each instance to the other two) enemies (in terms of gameplay, not story or lore) of each game:
CE:
  1. Covenant
  2. Flood
  3. Forerunners
2:
  1. Covenant
  2. Flood
  3. Forerunners
3:
  1. Covenant
  2. Flood
  3. Forerunners
ODST:
  1. Covenant
Reach:
1: Covenant

Halo 4 and 5 each broke the model of the first three games by having a very even balance of Covenant and Forerunner enemies, with neither really being more pronounced (again in terms of gameplay)

I believe Infinite will return to the precedent of the Bungie games by having either a single enemy faction, like ODST or Reach, or a primary and secondary enemy faction, like the original trilogy. My reason for thinking this is I do not believe the Banished or any other for of Covenant offshoot will appear in the game. I believe Cortana's will be either the only enemy faction, or the primary enemy faction (with the Flood serving as the secondary faction). However, I do not think that means only Prometheans will be in the game as non-Flood enemies. I believe the state of the Halo story right now offers more possibility to enemy types than any other Halo game. I also believe that gives Infinite a higher chance than any prior game of having Humans as potential enemies. This is all because of Cortana's declaration to the galaxy at the end of Halo 5.

Cortana's demand for subservience from each and every race gives a chance for any and every race to be potential enemies in Infinite. It also gives the possibility for any race to be allies as well though I find that less likely. It is possible, and likely, that there are groups of every race (potentially nearly the entirety of some races) that swore fealty to Cortana and her cause. If that is the case, it is possible for any of them to be enemies in Infinite. We know for sure a large portion of the Grunts have joined her, but we don't really know about any of the other races. I'm sure she will use these races to fight against us in Infinite. Therefore, I don't know that any race is more likely than the others (other than grunts).
I personally would like to see each Covenant race from 5 return in addition to Brutes, Drones, and the Skirmisher jackals. I would also like to see humans appear as enemies in Infinite. I think 343 would miss a large gameplay opportunity if they choose to omit humans as enemies. The story currently allows for it, and it would give a nice mix up to gameplay. The biggest thing I can see against humans appearing as enemies is if 343 and Microsoft want to keep Halo as a T rated game, and I think human enemies would hurt the chances of that.
Personally I would also like to see the Flood return, though I don't know how likely that is. I'm in the camp of believing they will make some sort of appearance in the game, whether that be as enemies or simply teased in a cutscene.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on potential enemies in Infinite, what are yours?
I think we're gonna see Prometheans, Flood, and Sentinels. Prometheans because duh, Flood because there's gotta be some flood on which ever ring they're on... assuming it takes place on a ring, and Sentinels because with Flood come Sentinels. I want the Banished to be in the game but they're busy on the ark, I don't think we'll see them until at least the game after H6. I just hope they add more enemy types, weapons, and vehicles to the Prometheans.
I think we're gonna see Prometheans, Flood, and Sentinels. Prometheans because duh, Flood because there's gotta be some flood on which ever ring they're on... assuming it takes place on a ring, and Sentinels because with Flood come Sentinels. I want the Banished to be in the game but they're busy on the ark, I don't think we'll see them until at least the game after H6. I just hope they add more enemy types, weapons, and vehicles to the Prometheans.
I'd expect the Sentinels to be on the Promethean side if they're in the game. Flood may not break out during the game but it would be cool.
I thought the Banished still have a pretty heavy presence in the galaxy at large. I mean, Atriox and a large contingent of Banished are on the Ark, but the bulk of his force is spread out around space. Sorry if I'm mistaken, but if not, then the Banished could make an appearance, just not Atriox, unless the Ark becomes a portion of Halo Infinite

Agreed that they definitely need to add some variety to the Promethean ranks and load outs
I was going to say I bet we see these species too! I’m really interested in the idea of playing against UNSC! Playing as some forerunner as you maybe rebel against Cortana or some level where you get to see more of their perspective would be really interesting!
I thought the Banished still have a pretty heavy presence in the galaxy at large. I mean, Atriox and a large contingent of Banished are on the Ark, but the bulk of his force is spread out around space. Sorry if I'm mistaken, but if not, then the Banished could make an appearance, just not Atriox, unless the Ark becomes a portion of Halo Infinite

Agreed that they definitely need to add some variety to the Promethean ranks and load outs
I'm not sure if all the Banished are on the ark or not. Would be a lot easier to add them in H6 if they aren't all there.
I gotta say i'm tired of prometheans. I was hoping we'd get to encounter actual forerunners somehow, but it never really happened outside of the Chief meeting the Librarian in some form. I just want Halo to return to fighting covenant and the threat of flood. Maybe I'm boring in that way though.

We are never given a real clear sense of the size and influence of the Banished, though it seems to be implied that the majority are at the ARk. It's possible they could have other cells throughout the galaxy, but I find it more likely that 80-90+% of them are on the Ark.
I gotta say i'm tired of prometheans. I was hoping we'd get to encounter actual forerunners somehow, but it never really happened outside of the Chief meeting the Librarian in some form. I just want Halo to return to fighting covenant and the threat of flood. Maybe I'm boring in that way though.
With the state of the story at the moment we'll definitely be fighting Prometheans, but any of the traditional "Covenant" species are possible as well, though they'd likely be on the same side as the Prometheans. It's been tricky for them lore-wise to continue having Covenant as enemies since Halo 3. It's quite possible that was the reason Bungie's last 2 Halo games were prequel games, because they wanted Covenant enemies but couldn't figure a satisfying way to include them in a sequel.