1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 7
  4. 8
  5. ...
  6. 9
YukiryuFR wrote:
SDdawg wrote:
Hey everyone, working on this thread with ya'll over the past 6 months inspired me to make a youtube video offering some (constructive) criticisms about how 343 handled some of the promotions that were tied to cosmetics on this thread. I would greatly appreciate any feedback if you have the time to watch. If not, that's cool too :) Cheers!
Pretty good video, easy to understand.
Also made me realise that Europe (and especially France which is where I live) was as bad if not worse in term of all of this.
The fact that I only discovered like 1 month ago about the Monster x Halo Infinite promotion, and the other promotion that are harder if not impossible to get in France because we don't have Ahoy! or Gamestop so we technically have to be friend with someone who lives in the USA and that can help us get codes or things like that.

It's really something that I don't like, promotion that gives players something but because it's only accessible to a country, well too bad for the others. (really like the Red Shift but I was too late to found out about it and even then, it would have been hard to get because I have no friend there to get it for me).
Wow! I didn't know it was bad in Europe too. I was under the impression that you guys had it way easier. But yes it was infuriating that they scattered the coatings in different regions... its like... why not just make it equal for everyone? Hopefully they implement them in a fair way in-game around launch
SDdawg wrote:
Hey everyone, working on this thread with ya'll over the past 6 months inspired me to make a youtube video offering some (constructive) criticisms about how 343 handled some of the promotions that were tied to cosmetics on this thread. I would greatly appreciate any feedback if you have the time to watch. If not, that's cool too :) Cheers!
A great video, and a really good recap. I hope you keep making content like this.

Not a criticism of your video, but more of a continued discussion from it:

A bit of an Elephant in the room that I think you didn't go into was the fact that all of these in-person purchase events occurred during a pandemic. I get it, that tends to be a charged topic but I think it needs to be said. So yeah, not only did you have to be willing to go on this Easter egg hunt with the likely outcome being you miss out on the Gamestop or Mondelez promotion, you also had to be willing to potentially expose yourself to do so.

It means that those in the Halo community who are immunocompromised or have loved ones who are at risk had to basically sit back and opt out. No judgement to those who took part in the scavenger hunts, but it just didn't seem prudent to make trips to store exclusively for the chance to get a video game unlock (although it was ABSOLUTLEY tempting). During normal circumstances, I would have loved to take a trip to somewhere new, but the justification in 2020 just wasn't there for me personally.

At my local grocery, I never saw the Chips Ahoy, Butterfinger or other promotions outside of Monster Energy. I even stopped by the Gamestop next to my grocery store ONCE when Red Shift was supposedly live (early in the morning to avoid crowds) and they had no idea what I was asking about much like you outlined. That convinced me it simply wasn't worth risking the hunt.

They also haven't been clear about outside availability. In the original update when they discussed the coatings, I was under the impression that all of these would be unlockable in the game at some point. Up until now, I was still under that impression, but going back and reading the original post I now see that I may have been reading too much between the lines. An in-game currency unlock only for these is the way to go, IMO. Make it limited time, and make it require playing the game to get them.
Mongerty wrote:
SDdawg wrote:
A great video, and a really good recap. I hope you keep making content like this.

Not a criticism of your video, but more of a continued discussion from it:

A bit of an Elephant in the room that I think you didn't go into was the fact that all of these in-person purchase events occurred during a pandemic. I get it, that tends to be a charged topic but I think it needs to be said. So yeah, not only did you have to be willing to go on this Easter egg hunt with the likely outcome being you miss out on the Gamestop or Mondelez promotion, you also had to be willing to potentially expose yourself to do so.

It means that those in the Halo community who are immunocompromised or have loved ones who are at risk had to basically sit back and opt out. No judgement to those who took part in the scavenger hunts, but it just didn't seem prudent to make trips to store exclusively for the chance to get a video game unlock (although it was ABSOLUTLEY tempting). During normal circumstances, I would have loved to take a trip to somewhere new, but the justification in 2020 just wasn't there for me personally.

At my local grocery, I never saw the Chips Ahoy, Butterfinger or other promotions outside of Monster Energy. I even stopped by the Gamestop next to my grocery store ONCE when Red Shift was supposedly live (early in the morning to avoid crowds) and they had no idea what I was asking about much like you outlined. That convinced me it simply wasn't worth risking the hunt.

They also haven't been clear about outside availability. In the original update when they discussed the coatings, I was under the impression that all of these would be unlockable in the game at some point. Up until now, I was still under that impression, but going back and reading the original post I now see that I may have been reading too much between the lines. An in-game currency unlock only for these is the way to go, IMO. Make it limited time, and make it require playing the game to get them.
Thanks for the feedback. I definitely have another video about cosmetics cooking up as we speak. Thats a great point though: there was a complete lack of adaptiveness in light of the pandemic. Most of these promotions insisted on people going into grocery stores + retailers when there should have been an online option. In hindsight, it seemed a bit tone-deaf to what was happening in the world at the time, even if these were planned months ahead. Hopefully going forward there can be some better action.
SDdawg wrote:
SDdawg wrote:
Just watched the video. It was pretty good. Researched well. And as a mid-westerner from Michigan, I laughed when you mispronounced Meijer as My-Jer. And I get it because of the J. It happens in Michigan but some people call it Meyers. Its just Meyer. Anyway, very informative, didn't cover all of them, but only covered the ones that caused a fuss. I actually have a funny story for how I got the Red Shift skin.
Lool duuude! Im so sorry I've never been to that area so I am uneducated on the matter. Thanks for the feedback tho
No problem. Id like to see more content soon! So if you wanna know my red shift story, here it is. Inhad an early day at work so I went back home, and my mom asked if id like to come with her to her work and stop by a few stores. So i joined her, and while she went to one store, I go to gamestop. I ask the guys working there if theyre doing the halo infinite promo with the red shift skin. They had no clue what I was talking about. So I grabbed the nerf assault rifle, had them ring it up, and they were like wtf, this receipt has a code on it. Then after I redeemed it, I told them that i changed my mind and they refunded me right away. Told them I only wanted the red shift skin and I wasnt paying $50 for a stupid skin.
Either I've misunderstood the post or it's outdated, but what about the Trailblazer armor set? Just saw it at Walmart.
Colmiyo wrote:
Either I've misunderstood the post or it's outdated, but what about the Trailblazer armor set. Just saw some at Walmart.
It might just be a misunderstanding. This thread is dedicated to listing confirmed cosmetics.. meaning armor/weapon/vehicle coatings, emblems, etc. For instance, the toy might have an armor named "Trailblazer" but what concerns the thread is whether or not the toy has a code inside that grants in-game dlc. Just trying to keep an ongoing list of what is confirmed to be in-game so far.
SDdawg wrote:
Colmiyo wrote:
Either I've misunderstood the post or it's outdated, but what about the Trailblazer armor set. Just saw some at Walmart.
It might just be a misunderstanding. This thread is dedicated to listing confirmed cosmetics.. meaning armor/weapon/vehicle coatings, emblems, etc. For instance, the toy might have an armor named "Trailblazer" but what concerns the thread is whether or not the toy has a code inside that grants in-game dlc. Just trying to keep an ongoing list of what is confirmed to be in-game so far.
Thanks.
Does anyone know what the weapon charms will actually be/do? I personally haven't seen anything on them, and they're obviously different from skins, so I'm just curious. I know Destiny had their charms where the entire gun changes basically, so I'm wondering if it'll be like that, like a charm for the MA40 that makes it look like a MA5D?
I think it's just a cosmetic that hangs on your rifle. Like a keychain.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 7
  4. 8
  5. ...
  6. 9