Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

F2P games disguising bots as real players

OP NeverNotKicking

I recently started playing the game Splitgate, which just launched on consoles. I was having a good time with it, particularly because I felt like I was really good at it. My KD ratio was extremely high. It was very satisfying.

Then I found out that the game was actually tricking me by matching me against bots. The bots all had normal-looking usernames and player icons and everything. It was tricking me into thinking I was playing against humans, specifically so that I would feel like I was good at the game. Realizing that the game was doing this made me feel insulted and really disrespected.

I know this has been a thing in mobile games for a while. PUBG Mobile is known for doing this. But this is the first time I've seen this kind of scummy behavior in a console game. This makes me concerned that we might start seeing more console games do this in the future, if it hasn't already started happening already.

I really hope that more awareness is brought to this unfortunate trend. And I REALLY hope that 343 doesn't try doing this in Infinite. It's such a disrespectful way to treat your players. 343, please don't do this in Infinite.
I recently started playing the game Splitgate, which just launched on consoles. I was having a good time with it, particularly because I felt like I was really good at it. My KD ratio was extremely high. It was very satisfying.

Then I found out that the game was actually tricking me by matching me against bots. The bots all had normal-looking usernames and player icons and everything. It was tricking me into thinking I was playing against humans, specifically so that I would feel like I was good at the game. Realizing that the game was doing this made me feel insulted and really disrespected.

I know this has been a thing in mobile games for a while. PUBG Mobile is known for doing this. But this is the first time I've seen this kind of scummy behavior in a console game. This makes me concerned that we might start seeing more console games do this in the future, if it hasn't already started happening already.

I really hope that more awareness is brought to this unfortunate trend. And I REALLY hope that 343 doesn't try doing this in Infinite. It's such a disrespectful way to treat your players. 343, please don't do this in Infinite.
I highly doubt this would be something 343 would do. Infinite will hopefully not experience low population issues for many many years to come
Fortnite does it too and it's insanely obvious when it's a bot. They added them real sneaky as well. Very unsatisfying and insulting like you say.

Gears of War uses bots, but they show you they are bots by having a clear indicator. I don't agree with bots in multiplayer though.
I assumed the bots would be used when a player drops out... to keep the game ticking over... and then get replaced if they found a suitable player to join in progress.
Ken2379 wrote:
Fortnite does it too and it's insanely obvious when it's a bot. They added them real sneaky as well. Very unsatisfying and insulting like you say.

Gears of War uses bots, but they show you they are bots by having a clear indicator. I don't agree with bots in multiplayer though.
It can't get any worse than Team Fortress 2 right now. That game's matchmaking servers have been infested with cheat and spam bots for the past 2 years due to someone leaking the game's net code online. They join servers, and either choose Sniper and aimbot all over the place, or they choose Spy and just crouch-walk everywhere doing nothing, all the while spamming annoying/racist crap into the mic. Sometimes you can't even kick them, because they're programmed to vote "NO" when a vote-kick is called. God forbid if you wind up with 3 or 4 on one team; the mic spam gets so bad that server often crashes.

This is how bad bots can be exploited if nit kept in check. Thankfully, 343 aren't using VAC.
They aren't all bots not by any measure.
Darwi wrote:
I assumed the bots would be used when a player drops out... to keep the game ticking over... and then get replaced if they found a suitable player to join in progress.
Yeah so far this is all we know about that, but will it happen in Matchmaking too? It's been a while since I read the post but I could have sworn they said it'd only be in Custom Games.... Unless they meant "Can only load/use AI in Custom Games" and the Replace Quitting Player thing is for Matchmaking

But if they ever do need to put bots into the game, like for a very low-population playlist (RIP Warzone Assault sigh...) they should make it clear its a bot and not a human.

I was more concerned by how sluggish and unresponsive the game felt in the combat . Glad I tryed it out but it's got a lot of work to do before I play it again .
Personally I dont see it as a huge issue, and I actually think they already confirmed that they were going to be doing this in Infinite (if I'm not mistaken). The issue I do see with it however, is how they handle it. It should be transparent, what I mean by that is they should clearly mark bots in game with some kind of bot tag in their username. Additionally, I think that they should only be used when necessary, for instance, they should only be used for when low player counts are present, i.e. middle of the night, and/or only in lobbies for new players to halo.

Thats just my take on it, feel free to add or criticize my thought process here.
I hope they don't make the bots look like people, I wish they would just be called S-2817 etc
Ken2379 wrote:

It can't get any worse than Team Fortress 2 right now. That game's matchmaking servers have been infested with cheat and spam bots for the past 2 years due to someone leaking the game's net code online. They join servers, and either choose Sniper and aimbot all over the place, or they choose Spy and just crouch-walk everywhere doing nothing, all the while spamming annoying/racist crap into the mic. Sometimes you can't even kick them, because they're programmed to vote "NO" when a vote-kick is called. God forbid if you wind up with 3 or 4 on one team; the mic spam gets so bad that server often crashes.

This is how bad bots can be exploited if nit kept in check. Thankfully, 343 aren't using VAC.
Those 'bots' aren't the same bots the game uses, though, and it's not what OP is talking about. That bot is an external AI playing TF2 through direct input, probably using the same *code* as the bots, but not actually being in-game bots (this is why they have a ping instead of the BOT moniker.)

OP is talking about when developers sneakily replace real people with Bots to trick you into thinking you're good at fighting real players. These bots aren't the "spin around and instead headshot you" kind of bots, and they couldn't be maliciously turned into them either since nobody's computer would be directly interfacing with them.
Sylxeria wrote:
Darwi wrote:
Yeah so far this is all we know about that, but will it happen in Matchmaking too? It's been a while since I read the post but I could have sworn they said it'd only be in Custom Games.... Unless they meant "Can only load/use AI in Custom Games" and the Replace Quitting Player thing is for Matchmaking

But if they ever do need to put bots into the game, like for a very low-population playlist (RIP Warzone Assault sigh...) they should make it clear its a bot and not a human.
There was articles confirming bots for custom games in Halo Infinite like this one here. I have also seen others that are not as well explained. From my linked article my take is, bots are for academy and customs. But clarification from 343i would be welcome.
Ken2379 wrote:

What is VAC?
Ken2379 wrote:

What is VAC?
If my guess from the letters and topic? Valve Anti-Cheat. But if I'm wrong, a correction would be welcome.
While I cannot comment on Splitgate, the other games that are currently using Bots are all high population BRs. They make sense in those games as matches can last a long time and you have 100 players all in the same match.

Halo wouldn't need to use bots to pad out matches unless 343 can find a way to use them as placeholders for players that quit. I don't think they are going to "trick" us with bots, but I also think it could be a very useful tool when combined with Join in Progress.