Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

[Locked] F2P is great, you're just mean.

OP Reptar117

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
There is literally no downside to Infinite being f2p, people keep talking about the heavy monetization but I am positive that it's going to be cosmetic only. What kind you cosmetics you may ask? Weapon skins, vehicle skins, armor skins, and what ever they can come up with. 343 knows how to create an actual Halo armor unlock system as evident as Halo 4 but then they know how to sell to players.

Not to mention that they already confirmed that customization is be gonna similar to Reach's scale, this pretty much confirms that not all the armor is gonna be behind a paywall. You don't wanna pay 2.99 for a pistol skin? Great then don't! F2P is such a great thing for the franchise as it is going to introduce tons of new players to the franchise. This might make them consider paying for the campaign, MCC, or like the game they are willing to drop a couple bucks for specific skins or a battle pass.
Especially if the game launches with tons of content. It’ll introduce so many new players to the franchise!
There’s not “no downsides” to F2P. IMO there are 2 big ones.
  1. Microtransactions
More armors will be unlockable by paying instead of playing the game. There’s also a pretty good chance of there being some predatory mechanics (constant item shop pop ups, FOMO, lootboxes)

2. Player base

It looks like Infinite will be cross platform, and F2P on PC is a cheater’s dream.

I’m not arguing against F2P, there are definitely some benefits too, but until the game comes out there’s no way to know if the negatives outweigh the positives.
Reptar117 wrote:
There is literally no downside to Infinite being f2p, people keep talking about the heavy monetization but I am positive that it's going to be cosmetic only. What kind you cosmetics you may ask? Weapon skins, vehicle skins, armor skins, and what ever they can come up with. 343 knows how to create an actual Halo armor unlock system as evident as Halo 4 but then they know how to sell to players.

Not to mention that they already confirmed that customization is be gonna similar to Reach's scale, this pretty much confirms that not all the armor is gonna be behind a paywall. You don't wanna pay 2.99 for a pistol skin? Great then don't! F2P is such a great thing for the franchise as it is going to introduce tons of new players to the franchise. This might make them consider paying for the campaign, MCC, or like the game they are willing to drop a couple bucks for specific skins or a battle pass.
Except given the huge budget they will monetise it to death to turn a profit and the legacy of halo customisation will be DEAD. This is bad news warzone barely pulls off f2p and that's after the game and the assets had turned a considerable profit.
F2P = inviting hackers

In this case and like Cody15x already said, this game could or better I say, WILL have tons of microtransaction
Happy to have tons of microtrasations in the game, when done right they're extremely beneficial to everyone bar the mentally ill. Would be good of 343 to signpost people that struggle with addiction.

This will be a cheaters dream though so hope they have excellent anti-cheat software in place. Modern Warfare falls short in this category.
Ken2379 wrote:
Happy to have tons of microtrasations in the game, when done right they're extremely beneficial to everyone bar the mentally ill. Would be good of 343 to signpost people that struggle with addiction.

This will be a cheaters dream though so hope they have excellent anti-cheat software in place. Modern Warfare falls short in this category.
after seeing you post on the forums i'm genuinely convinced your a troll
Reptar117 wrote:

yeah it's going to be great when i can just buy recon armor
After reading through the above comments I believe the OP was thoroughly disproved.

To conclude F2P obviously has very big downsides and rarely does it equal a good quality product
Something players have been asking for is a progression/unlock system more like Halo 3 and Reach where you earn everything through gameplay. Having armor be unlocked via microtransactions is a definite downside even if it doesn't affect core gameplay.
The coolest armor set in the game should have some meaning, indicate that a player earned or achieved something. You remove that value when you can just pay $3 for an armor set
When I hear people say they like microtransactions, all I think is, you must be 20 years old or younger....

I think the majority of people that are older especially ones that grew up in a different era of video gaming would never say they like microtransactions. We like our games complete and not behind a pay wall. Unfortunately I think gaming as a whole is all going to go this way and eventually pretty much every game will be like this. You want to play this mode It costs $5 every 3 months. You want that item it cost a dollar you want your character to say this line that costs a dollar and so on.... It's sad really.
Umm no, no downside to free to play?......I'd have to strongly disagree.

• Online only features tend to be forced, meaning physical copies useless
  • Content that is normally accessible by fun challenges....tend to turn to mindless grinds to unlock
  • Content this normally accessible is also sometimes restricted to 'timed based events' in short time where it encourages to pay extra if you don't make it in time
  • Predatory systems like £100 skins become common in these type of games
  • Many devs tend to have a major lack of content to focus on F2P
  • Forces dev's into constant overtime crunch...crunch causing staff to be more stressed.
  • Supposed to last '10 years', which means no new proper Halo game.
  • Remember how sluggish H5 was due to the loot box system?...I dare not think how much more laggy the UI will be with w/e predatory system they replace it with.
I'm sure there's plenty of reasons why F2P is bad for Halo or any game.
Whether we like it or not, we must accept that, as an F2P game, it will have microtransactions yes or yes. All we can wish for is that they are not abusive, nor do they discourage the desire for get armors.

It is also an inevitable fact that there will be a lot of hackers and cheats in multiplayer. With a little luck, and a lot of work, it will be a problem that over time will end up being solved as best as possible. In part, I wouldn't worry about qualifying and competitive games either. Putting a series of requirements to be able to play would put an initial barrier for cheats.

Reaching a very high minimum level is a good way to prevent cheats from entering the qualifying modes.
Whether we like it or not, we must accept that, as an F2P game, it will have microtransactions yes or yes. All we can wish for is that they are not abusive, nor do they discourage the desire for get armors.

It is also an inevitable fact that there will be a lot of hackers and cheats in multiplayer. With a little luck, and a lot of work, it will be a problem that over time will end up being solved as best as possible. In part, I wouldn't worry about qualifying and competitive games either. Putting a series of requirements to be able to play would put an initial barrier for cheats.

Reaching a very high minimum level is a good way to prevent cheats from entering the qualifying modes.
Ummm... Cheaters cheat and thus skill gating when you use things like bot aim will not stop them.

And they will still hurt the less skilled playerbase too of which is not fair.

lol
Whether we like it or not, we must accept that, as an F2P game, it will have microtransactions yes or yes. All we can wish for is that they are not abusive, nor do they discourage the desire for get armors.It is also an inevitable fact that there will be a lot of hackers and cheats in multiplayer. With a little luck, and a lot of work, it will be a problem that over time will end up being solved as best as possible. In part, I wouldn't worry about qualifying and competitive games either. Putting a series of requirements to be able to play would put an initial barrier for cheats.Reaching a very high minimum level is a good way to prevent cheats from entering the qualifying modes.

Ummm... Cheaters cheat and thus skill gating when you use things like bot aim will not stop them.And they will still hurt the less skilled playerbase too of which is not fair. lol

I know it's not fair. There would still be a lot of work ahead to eradicate this problem. But if the damage is minimized, at least in the important part such as the competitive one, we will have a small victory. In addition, the community will also have a key role in identifying traps. By giving players the right tools to identify and report cheating players. Step by step it is possible to have a "safe" community.
Whether we like it or not, we must accept that, as an F2P game, it will have microtransactions yes or yes. All we can wish for is that they are not abusive, nor do they discourage the desire for get armors.It is also an inevitable fact that there will be a lot of hackers and cheats in multiplayer. With a little luck, and a lot of work, it will be a problem that over time will end up being solved as best as possible. In part, I wouldn't worry about qualifying and competitive games either. Putting a series of requirements to be able to play would put an initial barrier for cheats.Reaching a very high minimum level is a good way to prevent cheats from entering the qualifying modes.

Ummm... Cheaters cheat and thus skill gating when you use things like bot aim will not stop them.And they will still hurt the less skilled playerbase too of which is not fair. lol

I know it's not fair. There would still be a lot of work ahead to eradicate this problem. But if the damage is minimized, at least in the important part such as the competitive one, we will have a small victory. In addition, the community will also have a key role in identifying traps. By giving players the right tools to identify and report cheating players. Step by step it is possible to have a "safe" community.
It does not work. Look to the biggest F2P titles on the market. None have solved this issue yet, no matter how much funding the developer has behind them.

It does not work. Look to the biggest F2P titles on the market. None have solved this issue yet, no matter how much funding the developer has behind them.
Think of it as something you will always have to face. There are those who have fared better and worse. R6, Fortnite, or Apex are examples of games with a reduced sector of hackers.

Hackers can never be eliminated 100%, at least in the PC version of Halo Infinite. But, if you play on the Xbox One or Xbox Series X version, you are sure that the number of hackers will be almost non-existent. As long as you disable crossplay.
When I hear people say they like microtransactions, all I think is, you must be 20 years old or younger....

I think the majority of people that are older especially ones that grew up in a different era of video gaming would never say they like microtransactions. We like our games complete and not behind a pay wall. Unfortunately I think gaming as a whole is all going to go this way and eventually pretty much every game will be like this. You want to play this mode It costs $5 every 3 months. You want that item it cost a dollar you want your character to say this line that costs a dollar and so on.... It's sad really.
Different strokes for different folks fella.

I'm a 90s kid, but I love it. We are all different.

No free to play game costs money every 3 months. The battle pass is designed so you only have to buy it once, ever.

I think people underestimate how much content you get from this versus how much content you would have got anyway. Fortnite has over 200 skins!
Ken2379 wrote:
after seeing you post on the forums i'm genuinely convinced your a troll
That's wild, as all my posts are due to me being excited for the game and maintaining a positive mindset. Genuinely disheartening. The game is out very soon, we may as well enjoy the wait.
Ken2379 wrote:

Different strokes for different folks fella.

I'm a 90s kid, but I love it. We are all different.

No free to play game costs money every 3 months. The battle pass is designed so you only have to buy it once, ever.

I think people underestimate how much content you get from this versus how much content you would have got anyway. Fortnite has over 200 skins!
How exactly do skins add to gameplay?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3