Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Fall Damage In Halo/Grappling Hook

OP KwakyeAttack

Halo has had a weird relationship with fall damage. I remember the days of Halo 3 where you could jump from any high point and land safely without any health reduction. With the grappling hook in Halo Infinite, I wonder if 343 programmed it in a way where if you use it to fling yourself sky high to escape an attack and land on the ground, you wouldn't get any damage. From the looks of it, the grappling hook in the gameplay trailer looks insanely optimal for your mobility in the sandbox.

Do y'all like fall damage in Halo? Do you want it in Infinite? How do you think the grappling hook would work as a tool for mobility?
I don't think fall damage should ever be fatal in Halo, in my opinion it should only do mid/high damage to your shield but should never kill, however if we include external factors such as damage taken from enemies during the fall, and the damage of the fall dealing damage more than your current shield strength, then yes that should kill.

I suppose for Infinite however there has to be a consequence for poor use of the grapple shot.
Pfh7 wrote:
I don't think fall damage should ever be fatal in Halo, in my opinion it should only do mid/high damage to your shield but should never kill, however if we include external factors such as damage taken from enemies during the fall, and the damage of the fall dealing damage more than your current shield strength, then yes that should kill.

I suppose for Infinite however there has to be a consequence for poor use of the grapple shot.
I mean in fairness a lot of the historic fall damage was simply a case of trying to limit Out of Bounds exploration and insane mission skips.

Canonically yes Chief survived a fall from orbit but he did have a nice piece of Forerunner ship to help cushion the fall and he was in effect entirely incapacitated. For me that's where the fall damage makes more sense: even Spartans can suffer catastrophic injuries/Mjolnir malfunctions which would entirely take you out of the fight. No matter how good the gel layer, if you hit the ground feet first at terminal velocity, your legs are probably shattered.

So yeah... I can certainly see in advisable grapples seeing some fall damage
Nah I hate fall damage, hope there isn't any in Infinite.
I think there will be.
MorseyBaby wrote:
Pfh7 wrote:

I mean in fairness a lot of the historic fall damage was simply a case of trying to limit Out of Bounds exploration and insane mission skips.

Canonically yes Chief survived a fall from orbit but he did have a nice piece of Forerunner ship to help cushion the fall and he was in effect entirely incapacitated. For me that's where the fall damage makes more sense: even Spartans can suffer catastrophic injuries/Mjolnir malfunctions which would entirely take you out of the fight. No matter how good the gel layer, if you hit the ground feet first at terminal velocity, your legs are probably shattered.

I couldn't care less about lore accuracy when it comes to gameplay, fall damage deters more than it incentives, I think it's time we explore the idea of reducing the fatal damage done.
Pfh7 wrote:
MorseyBaby wrote:
Pfh7 wrote:

I couldn't care less about lore accuracy when it comes to gameplay, fall damage deters more than it incentives, I think it's time we explore the idea of reducing the fatal damage done.
Well fair enough. I suppose the realism element is where it works for me. I could jump off this building and I might survive but I may also cripple myself... is it worth the risk?
Pfh7 wrote:

I like this, gotta agree
i want it in infinite just because of the verticality scale on this game compared to other games is more than likely enormous. But i dont want it crazy high.

I dont want to fall 10-20 feet and lose half my hp or die. Id like to know im playing master chief.
1. For me, I think fall damage isn't needed, sure I know Master Chief, Locke, and any other spartan are augmented super-soldiers, but I know they're still human. I think it is a good way to slow down opponents in CE (If you know how to) and it can help when the opponent is stunned by it and you can get some sweet magnum or shotgun lead into them. I think It's needed, but it would also be nice without it.

2. In Infinite, I think it should work like how it does in 2 and 3, hoping they don't go back to health like CE (If it's a late change) or if they do, it works like 2 and 3.

3. I think if fall damage is in Infinite, the grapple hook should allow the player to take no fall damage whatsoever in Multiplayer and Campaign (Of course the timer will be there for the campaign.) I can't wait to use it to pull an MK Scorpion on the players and environment.
MorseyBaby wrote:
Pfh7 wrote:
MorseyBaby wrote:
Pfh7 wrote:

Well fair enough. I suppose the realism element is where it works for me. I could jump off this building and I might survive but I may also cripple myself... is it worth the risk?
What if the fall damage that would normally kill you only dropped your shield but also locked your armour (similar to H3 and Reach) for a second or two? If anyone came across you, a headshot could drop you. If the coast is clear, you get up, recharge and go about your way.
Halo 3 starts with MC falling from the stratosphere, and survived. just gonna leave that here lol.
Halo 3 starts with MC falling from the stratosphere, and survived. just gonna leave that here lol.
And I already referenced that. Please read the thread.

MorseyBaby wrote:
Pfh7 wrote:

To also use Fall of Reach as an example. Jumping from an in-atmo crashing Pelican killed 4 Spartan-IIs and severely wounded Team Delta's members.
MysticKami wrote:
MorseyBaby wrote:
Pfh7 wrote:
MorseyBaby wrote:
Pfh7 wrote:

What if the fall damage that would normally kill you only dropped your shield but also locked your armour (similar to H3 and Reach) for a second or two? If anyone came across you, a headshot could drop you. If the coast is clear, you get up, recharge and go about your way.
I mean that works okay if it's just armour lock, however if the fall would severely wound (i.e. incapacitate) the best way to represent gameplay-wise would be death
I've always thought there should be some fall damage.

Some shield / health damage. Doesn't have to be a lot. But some would add a touch of realism.

Really big falls / jumps could have a movement penalty. Chief could do the classic superhero landing... and then have a short pause before having to move on. As Deadpool says, it's really hard on the knees... and we know Chief isn't getting any younger.
Fall damage is kind of interesting. I'm pretty sure most Spartans have incredible impact tolerance due to absurd augmentations and even more absurd MJOLNIR armor. I feel like fall damage from 10 feet is annoying. The only height I could see fall damage working would be like, flying a pelican at 1000 feet and then jumping out like an idiot. Although, Fred and the majority of Semi constant red team survived it from like 32,000 feet in First strike...