Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Features from H5 that SHOULD return

OP rockoredfern

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
A lot of the discussion is dominated by the spartan abilities and which should be cut [sprint, pound, charge, thrust, etc]. So i would like to draw some attention to some of the other features introduced in halo 5 that i think are generally pretty universally liked in the hopes that they do return and how they might fit into a game like infinite.

Vehicle Seat Swapping: Everyone loves this. Although if they bring back multi seat air vehicles (which they definitely should) they should probably disable it on those....at least for the pilot.
Spartan Chatter: Helps reduce the gap between solo and mic players, of course mic will and should always be better but i think its a nice little feature that helps solo players. Its not major but it would be nice for it to become a staple.
Orders: I hated the revive mechanic, and I don't want to see squad mates every mission however the ability to order friendly AI would be very useful if it was applied to all friendly AI. For example being able to select a vehicle for friendly marines, perhaps even select individual AI and have them enter vehicles or pick up weapons (press up on ally, press up on hog) would make loading up a AI squad with the best weapons on your scout hog a lot easier.
Artemus Tracking: Personally I'm neutral on this one, its clear it was meant to be more then it ended up being. I don't think its a bad feature tho, although you could argue it makes hunting for secrets too easy. Personally id prefer the flashlight return (I know it was automatic in that one section in h5's second mission but it was kinda wonky i don't think it was done well) but I'm fine either way. Could be expanded to function in multiplayer as a way to show the spawn location and timers for non-power weapons like BR's and DMR's that don't have a weapon pad with a timer. Wana know how long till the DMR is up? press that button. Would give players the ability to find out what they want to know without clogging the players UI.
Stabilize/Hover: This is the only SA I'll mention. It should be toggle-able and maybe have some different button options for those who want it, but i like it. I hope it sticks around and isn't sacrificed so 343 can say to classic fans "hey we cut a SA just like you asked" while keeping all the ones that are actually controversial.

I honestly feel like this stuff alone would have been enough of an improvement to halo to justify halo 5 without the more controversial spartan abilities. (Also remember there is a separate thread for those spartan abilities for those who want in on that discussion)
Yeh vehicle swapping should return since that's one of those features that improved the game like how Halo 2 improved the game with hijacking while abilities like 'ground pound' hurt the game. Also recommend decreasing the time to swap since too often it's too easy to be killed, not have enough time to counter before being nearly instant killed, it can be more annoying when fighting AI.

Not sure I agree about Spartan chatter since it's more likely to be used to find players easier while a normal player might not notice someone.
Also agree with the orders but sure don't think Halo need's revives since it makes the game too easy.

As for tracking...I think something like this should be at the minimum for spotting but maybe keep these to campaign only since I suspect in multiplayer it could be used to encourage spawn trapping or unclear advantages.
I agree with pretty much everything. Spartan chatter I don't use but as long as it stays optional I'm fine if it makes a comeback.
Halo 5’s Forge, that’s all I want to see make. return so far, not sure about any others
I'd like to expand on the AI/orders aspect and say that the AI in H5's campaign is just....wow, more A than I, I didn't hate the revive system as it makes the Legendary difficulty a bit more playable, but with the friendly AI the way it is, it just ends up being a HUGE waste of time when you go down. IF that is in Infinite I hope that it was worked on. As far as the Spartan Abilities go; I'm ultimately okay with them in Arena aside from some of the one-hitters like the Ground Pound (which was completely taken out of HCS play...good move) but I really enjoy the current balance between mobility and weapon damage. While the thrusters can get you out of sticky situations they don't guarantee you'll make it out; and the same goes for sprinting (though I definitely get into WAAY more trouble sprinting than I get out of).
A lot of the discussion is dominated by the spartan abilities and which should be cut [sprint, pound, charge, thrust, etc]. So i would like to draw some attention to some of the other features introduced in halo 5 that i think are generally pretty universally liked in the hopes that they do return and how they might fit into a game like infinite.
Vehicle Seat Swapping: Everyone loves this. Although if they bring back multi seat air vehicles (which they definitely should) they should probably disable it on those....at least for the pilot.
Spartan Chatter: Helps reduce the gap between solo and mic players, of course mic will and should always be better but i think its a nice little feature that helps solo players. Its not major but it would be nice for it to become a staple.
Orders: I hated the revive mechanic, and I don't want to see squad mates every mission however the ability to order friendly AI would be very useful if it was applied to all friendly AI. For example being able to select a vehicle for friendly marines, perhaps even select individual AI and have them enter vehicles or pick up weapons (press up on ally, press up on hog) would make loading up a AI squad with the best weapons on your scout hog a lot easier.
Artemus Tracking: Personally I'm neutral on this one, its clear it was meant to be more then it ended up being. I don't think its a bad feature tho, although you could argue it makes hunting for secrets too easy. Personally id prefer the flashlight return (I know it was automatic in that one section in h5's second mission but it was kinda wonky i don't think it was done well) but I'm fine either way. Could be expanded to function in multiplayer as a way to show the spawn location and timers for non-power weapons like BR's and DMR's that don't have a weapon pad with a timer. Wana know how long till the DMR is up? press that button. Would give players the ability to find out what they want to know without clogging the players UI.
Stabilize/Hover: This is the only SA I'll mention. It should be toggle-able and maybe have some different button options for those who want it, but i like it. I hope it sticks around and isn't sacrificed so 343 can say to classic fans "hey we cut a SA just like you asked" while keeping all the ones that are actually controversial.

I honestly feel like this stuff alone would have been enough of an improvement to halo to justify halo 5 without the more controversial spartan abilities. (Also remember there is a separate thread for those spartan abilities for those who want in on that discussion)
Pretty much every spartan ability needs to go away. The hover is especially annoying because all youre trying to do is jump really quickly to snipe someone across the map and you get stuck in the air. Hovering gets you killed almost every time. Other than that I agree with everything you say or at least I am neutral.

Yeah but it would be nice if there was more uniqe voices yelling to each other and not like a PG marine.

I'm in for everything but orders, I hated any mechanic that had ANYTHING to do with AI.
-Stay-
•Sprint
•Thrusters (limited functionality)
•hover (limited functionality)
-Leave-
•Charge
•ground pound
Short list, well said. I accept others criticism.
  • Vehicle Seat Swapping: Definitely. I think it was one of the best and one of my favorite additions from Halo 5.
  • Spartan Chatter: I don't have too many thoughts here. Maybe yes, maybe no, but I wouldn't care whether it's transferred or not.
  • Orders: Yes. These helped me quite a bit on Legendary, although I still had to do everything myself. At least they're good distractions.
  • Artemis Tracking: No. I want to learn the maps, what weapons they have and learn the timers myself. I don't want another Halo 4 which gives you a Waypoint telling you exactly where it is (or Halo 5).
  • Stabilize/Hover: Hmmm. Maybe I'd say yes, but not as a default option.
On to my ideas:
  • Thrusters: An element that I think improved the game. Rewards out of good use and it's not like you can just thrust away and survive everything. I never managed to escape a lunging Sword using thrusters, for example. Plus, it's a good friend of the infected.
  • Forge: I think it goes without saying that Halo 5 has the best Forge of the series. It's complex, but it has the best potential of all. Would be better if it was given even more tools, such as AI and path-finding for them.
  • 3rd Person ADS animations: Do not be mistaken, I'm simply asking for 3rd person ADS animations to play while using zoom. It'd be a nice feature.
  • Weapon Pads: One of my favorite as well, especially due to the ability to switch weapon properties. Glad that 343 acknowledged but didn't fix this glitch =D.
  • Weapon and Vehicle Variants: I had a lot of fun using these, with the SPNKr Prime, Bane and Tartarus' being my favorite weapons and Hannibal Mantis, H Scorpion and Phaeton Helios being my favorite vehicles.
-Stay-
•Sprint
-Leave-
•Charge
•ground pound
spartan abilities need to go man
I must admit I didn't like it when sprint became an ability, like how does a Spartan forget how to sprint?? If I never saw sprint as an ability return, I'd be happy as Larry
  • Artemis Tracking: No. I want to learn the maps, what weapons they have and learn the timers myself. I don't want another Halo 4 which gives you a Waypoint telling you exactly where it is (or Halo 5).
In all fairness to Halo 4 and 5, that type of system was introduced in Halo 3: ODST with the Superintendent's guidance. I'm not a fan of constant navpoints, but as long as the ATS isn't overdone and only shows campaign objectives, I'd be fine with it.
In all fairness to Halo 4 and 5, that type of system was introduced in Halo 3: ODST with the Superintendent's guidance. I'm not a fan of constant navpoints, but as long as the ATS isn't overdone and only shows campaign objectives, I'd be fine with it.
But ODST was a campaign, and the system was made to help you navigate through the large city.
But ODST was a campaign, and the system was made to help you navigate through the large city.
That's why I said I'd be fine with it as long as it only lights up campaign objectives, lol. That's pretty much what every game's navpoint system does anyway (although it was used much more sparingly earlier in the series, which was nice).
-Stay-
•Sprint
-Leave-
•Charge
•ground pound
spartan abilities need to go man
Usually more options in a game equals higher skill ceiling, especially related to movement options. Which is great for a game that wants to focus on building a competitive scene. I loved the movement flow of Halo 5, it really brought the fresh air necessary to the series without changing the original gameplay too much. I could see ground pound and spartan charge leaving honestly, but the rest should stay in some way imo.
I play Fiesta quite a bit so I'd like to see all the crazy weapon variants return for at least that mode. And whether it'll be Warzone or Firefight returning, the weapons make those modes a lot more fun as well. Just don't bring them back with REQ packs.
Just a reminder that there is another thread already for spartan abilities, i think with the exception of stabilize its best to keep this one focused on the smaller things like spartan chatter and orders.
only vehicle swapping from h5.
One thing I think you missed, and most people miss, is the kill thread in halo 5. I think it is the best we have so far. In all previous Halos it's only been words. E.g. Noobmaster69 killed MasterChief117. You don't know if they killed them with a power weapon or not, except for a sniper E.g. Noobmaster69 sniped MasterChief117. How Halo 5 handles this is absolutely golden. Not only does it make it easier to keep track of how many opponents are alive (Teammate and opponent names are color coded in the kill thread), but it let's you know if the opponents have a power weapon or not. I can go into so much more detail, but I am going to keep it short so that people aren't deterred from the long post. Message me if you want to hear more.

All of the other stuff you listed was dope, and I think should be in infinite. (I'm a little on the edge about stabilization, but I think I'm pro for it.)
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3