Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Features from H5 that SHOULD return

OP rockoredfern

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
  • Artemis Tracking: No. I want to learn the maps, what weapons they have and learn the timers myself. I don't want another Halo 4 which gives you a Waypoint telling you exactly where it is (or Halo 5).
I got to disagree. If you don't have a coach to keep track of times, it is almost impossible to know when the sniper/rockets are going to spawn. Overshield and camo we know spawns every 2 minutes after pick up, so we can roughly guess that the spawns of the powerups will be 9:55, 7:50, 5:45, 3:40, 1:35 given that you are playing in Diamond and above. Because we can assume that if we didn't grab the powerup, our opponents did. But for snipes/rockets it's impossible to say. If our opponents grabbed the snipes/rockets the time doesn't start until they have used them all. At the diamond and platinum level, it is impossible to track when the weapon has been depleted. The timer is just too important for mid level players. Maybe make it able to toggle for professional play?
A lot of the discussion is dominated by the spartan abilities and which should be cut [sprint, pound, charge, thrust, etc]. So i would like to draw some attention to some of the other features introduced in halo 5 that i think are generally pretty universally liked in the hopes that they do return and how they might fit into a game like infinite.
Vehicle Seat Swapping: Everyone loves this. Although if they bring back multi seat air vehicles (which they definitely should) they should probably disable it on those....at least for the pilot.
Spartan Chatter: Helps reduce the gap between solo and mic players, of course mic will and should always be better but i think its a nice little feature that helps solo players. Its not major but it would be nice for it to become a staple.
Orders: I hated the revive mechanic, and I don't want to see squad mates every mission however the ability to order friendly AI would be very useful if it was applied to all friendly AI. For example being able to select a vehicle for friendly marines, perhaps even select individual AI and have them enter vehicles or pick up weapons (press up on ally, press up on hog) would make loading up a AI squad with the best weapons on your scout hog a lot easier.
Artemus Tracking: Personally I'm neutral on this one, its clear it was meant to be more then it ended up being. I don't think its a bad feature tho, although you could argue it makes hunting for secrets too easy. Personally id prefer the flashlight return (I know it was automatic in that one section in h5's second mission but it was kinda wonky i don't think it was done well) but I'm fine either way. Could be expanded to function in multiplayer as a way to show the spawn location and timers for non-power weapons like BR's and DMR's that don't have a weapon pad with a timer. Wana know how long till the DMR is up? press that button. Would give players the ability to find out what they want to know without clogging the players UI.
Stabilize/Hover: This is the only SA I'll mention. It should be toggle-able and maybe have some different button options for those who want it, but i like it. I hope it sticks around and isn't sacrificed so 343 can say to classic fans "hey we cut a SA just like you asked" while keeping all the ones that are actually controversial.

I honestly feel like this stuff alone would have been enough of an improvement to halo to justify halo 5 without the more controversial spartan abilities. (Also remember there is a separate thread for those spartan abilities for those who want in on that discussion)
Seat switching,clamber,and thruster pack stay.

Get rid of sprint,ground pound,stabilizers,smart link,and spartan charge.

Increase base movement speed to compensate for the removal of sprint
A lot of the discussion is dominated by the spartan abilities and which should be cut [sprint, pound, charge, thrust, etc]. So i would like to draw some attention to some of the other features introduced in halo 5 that i think are generally pretty universally liked in the hopes that they do return and how they might fit into a game like infinite.
Vehicle Seat Swapping: Everyone loves this. Although if they bring back multi seat air vehicles (which they definitely should) they should probably disable it on those....at least for the pilot.
Spartan Chatter: Helps reduce the gap between solo and mic players, of course mic will and should always be better but i think its a nice little feature that helps solo players. Its not major but it would be nice for it to become a staple.
Orders: I hated the revive mechanic, and I don't want to see squad mates every mission however the ability to order friendly AI would be very useful if it was applied to all friendly AI. For example being able to select a vehicle for friendly marines, perhaps even select individual AI and have them enter vehicles or pick up weapons (press up on ally, press up on hog) would make loading up a AI squad with the best weapons on your scout hog a lot easier.
Artemus Tracking: Personally I'm neutral on this one, its clear it was meant to be more then it ended up being. I don't think its a bad feature tho, although you could argue it makes hunting for secrets too easy. Personally id prefer the flashlight return (I know it was automatic in that one section in h5's second mission but it was kinda wonky i don't think it was done well) but I'm fine either way. Could be expanded to function in multiplayer as a way to show the spawn location and timers for non-power weapons like BR's and DMR's that don't have a weapon pad with a timer. Wana know how long till the DMR is up? press that button. Would give players the ability to find out what they want to know without clogging the players UI.
Stabilize/Hover: This is the only SA I'll mention. It should be toggle-able and maybe have some different button options for those who want it, but i like it. I hope it sticks around and isn't sacrificed so 343 can say to classic fans "hey we cut a SA just like you asked" while keeping all the ones that are actually controversial.

I honestly feel like this stuff alone would have been enough of an improvement to halo to justify halo 5 without the more controversial spartan abilities. (Also remember there is a separate thread for those spartan abilities for those who want in on that discussion)
Seat switching,clamber,and thruster pack stay.

Get rid of sprint,ground pound,stabilizers,smart link,and spartan charge.

Increase base movement speed to compensate for the removal of sprint
Amen
ShotAces wrote:
  • Artemis Tracking: No. I want to learn the maps, what weapons they have and learn the timers myself. I don't want another Halo 4 which gives you a Waypoint telling you exactly where it is (or Halo 5).
I got to disagree. If you don't have a coach to keep track of times, it is almost impossible to know when the sniper/rockets are going to spawn. Overshield and camo we know spawns every 2 minutes after pick up, so we can roughly guess that the spawns of the powerups will be 9:55, 7:50, 5:45, 3:40, 1:35 given that you are playing in Diamond and above. Because we can assume that if we didn't grab the powerup, our opponents did. But for snipes/rockets it's impossible to say. If our opponents grabbed the snipes/rockets the time doesn't start until they have used them all. At the diamond and platinum level, it is impossible to track when the weapon has been depleted. The timer is just too important for mid level players. Maybe make it able to toggle for professional play?
Maybe. I just don't want a sort of Halo 4.
NAG4SE wrote:
-Stay-
•Sprint
•Thrusters (limited functionality)
•hover (limited functionality)
-Leave-
•Charge
•ground pound
Short list, well said. I accept others criticism.
spartan abilities need to go man
Usually more options in a game equals higher skill ceiling, especially related to movement options. Which is great for a game that wants to focus on building a competitive scene. I loved the movement flow of Halo 5, it really brought the fresh air necessary to the series without changing the original gameplay too much. I could see ground pound and spartan charge leaving honestly, but the rest should stay in some way imo.
Having more options and more buttons to press and more abilities doesn't make the skill gap higher or and more depth to it. Halo's tried and true formula was always about map control and rewarding good decision making and punishing bad decision making. The spartan abilities allow you to make bad decisions and get out of jail free. There are innumerable problems with. SA's that impact halos gameplay. If you would like to learn more I recommend a youtube video maker by the name of favyn.
I want a variety of Firefight in Halo Infinite.

- Reach Firefight.
- Warzone Firefight.
- Reach Warzone Firefight, if possible.
Vehicle Seat Swapping Yes. Bring that back. I enjoyed the fluidity, and it makes sense that a Spartan would be able to do that.
Spartan Chatter I understand the advantages, but I'd rather leave it in Firefight exclusively. It felt a little wrong, obnoxious almost in Arena/Warzone - A little too unHalo
Artemus Tracking Locke's Artemus Tracking felt obsolete when the Chief could just raise his own nav-marker at will. Both features remind me of the arrow in Bioshock: Infinite, which only works because of its many hidden areas. In Halo, it serves only as a limitation. The fact that you can be pointed to your exact destination at the press of a button no matter the circumstances makes the game feel extremely linear. Not a fan.
Stabilise/Hover Doesn't change the game enough for me to really care.
Features that were ONLY in Halo 5 that should return, hmm.... This will be short as I'm indifferent on a lot.

• Seat switching
Yeah that's about it that absolutely should return. As I said, a lot of things I'm indifferent about. There is a massive amount of things I don't want to return though that's for sure! But this thread isn't about that.
NAG4SE wrote:
-Stay-
•Sprint
-Leave-
•Charge
•ground pound
Usually more options in a game equals higher skill ceiling, especially related to movement options. Which is great for a game that wants to focus on building a competitive scene. I loved the movement flow of Halo 5, it really brought the fresh air necessary to the series without changing the original gameplay too much. I could see ground pound and spartan charge leaving honestly, but the rest should stay in some way imo.
Why should sprint stay?
F16 HUNTER wrote:
NAG4SE wrote:
-Stay-
•Sprint
-Leave-
•Charge
•ground pound
Why should sprint stay?
It shouldn't. I think the community have been explicit enough at this point. 343i should increase the base movement speed and FOV and remove sprint altogether. It's a feature that never should have been included in Halo, and should never be seen again. It has too much impact on the game mechanics and how it's played. Halo should never have been played the way it is in Halo's Reach, 4 and 5. They're still fun games, but they simply don't offer the 'Halo' experience. There's a reason people prefer the OG trilogy.
Remove clamber. It doesn't seem to affect gameplay too much but it does. Great examples can be found on youtube.

In Halo 5 i always see players clambering around the map super fast and never engaging in regular gunplay.
It causes map layouts to be adjusted for it. Crouch jumping was completely fine before it.

• Well the thing about the seat system is it allows for boarding/hijacking which could result in some interesting elements such as a fully manned tank/warthog in a free4all game. However I do agree that multi-seat air vehicles need to return. Maybe with the scout hornet and falcon, have the wasp be the missile hornet.
  • We could use a better mic option but thing is unless there was an always on integration with the mic in XBL chat there is no incentive for players to stop from going into a private chat and leaving the battle mute. What there needs to be is a quick local chat option that has some anti-spamming restrictions.
  • Well first we need good AI, problem with orders is it is sometimes seen as a supplement for AI which basically leaves you with a bunch of dumbots which can't do anything on their own or are even blindly follow the player even if it means running into a wall or jumping off the proverbial cliff. Then there is also the vehicle AI mechanics that takes the difficulty of programming a competent AI with good path-finding and decent target priority and takes it up to 11.
  • Well the VISR/light/Night Vision stuff is an interesting ability and allows for some real dark nighttime or blackout level designs, but again how does it fit with the sandbox. Personally I am not a fan of the attachments H5 has.
  • Well again I think Spartan Abilities should just go back to armor abilities. IMHO SA is worse than Armor Lock (yes I said it, who cares for I don't). Now a Jet Pack ability that is more of a stabilizer type secondary function would be interesting. As for the ground pound that could be an entirely different jet pack all together.
Remove clamber. It doesn't seem to affect gameplay too much but it does. Great examples can be found on youtube.

In Halo 5 i always see players clambering around the map super fast and never engaging in regular gunplay.
It causes map layouts to be adjusted for it. Crouch jumping was completely fine before it.
Clamber really ruined Halo 5's multiplayer, I honestly did not even care about spartan charge and ground pound was kind of annoying. But clamber is the reason I cant play halo 5. people just fly around the map, you cant find regular fights.

Clamber really ruined Halo 5's multiplayer, I honestly did not even care about spartan charge and ground pound was kind of annoying. But clamber is the reason I cant play halo 5. people just fly around the map, you cant find regular fights.
I can't stand Spartan Charge. It absolutely butchers Halo's traditional melee system.
As someone who strongly believes Halo should be played using Recon controls, Ground Pound has no place in Halo's move-set. It also simply feels out of place, as if copied and pasted from another game into Halo where it doesn't fit.
In terms of how the character moves across the map or plays.
Ex. Sprint, clamber, thrust.
I hope none of it returns. After grinding the game for the Mixer Matchup, I never knew how bad the multiplayer was broken because of this movement.

- Reach Firefight.
- Warzone Firefight.
Flood Firefight?
As a jumper, keep 5’s forge and sprint
I liked the competitive ranking system of Halo 5. I wish they would display your rank on screen in-game so I didn't have to ask streamers what rank they were at. Kinda like in Overwatch where your rank is at the bottom left. They'd have to figure out a way to put it on the HUD while still looking natural and out of the way.

- Reach Firefight.
- Warzone Firefight.
Flood Firefight?
That could be another interesting inclusion. Good suggestion.
Keep the flashy hitmarker effects and the satisfying pingy kill sounds.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3