Feelings on ADS

OP LH Justin

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
So say we return to classic gameplay. How would you feel if ADS (aim down sights) were to stay in the game? I always see people debating enhanced mobility so much and never hear anyone mention ADS so I want to know people's thoughts on it. Personally, I kind of like it.
LH Justin wrote:
So say we return to classic gameplay. How would you feel if ADS (aim down sights) were to stay in the game? I always see people debating enhanced mobility so much and never hear anyone mention ADS so I want to know people's thoughts on it. Personally, I kind of like it.
I said this in another post today. This forum is biased.
So many players have left the game and community, most of the people on these forums who remain like the current games.
However the cold hard truth is the games are not working, look at sales numbers, player counts, or practically anywhere.
I think a truly classic Halo could be what the community needs right now.
I can't play Halo 5, bought it played a week then sold my Xbox One
Only have one now for MCC to play Halo 2 and 3 mostly
15 years I played Halo, but I cannot enjoy one second of Halo 5
ADS, Sprint all big reasons. They make me feel sick.
LH Justin wrote:
I said this in another post today. This forum is biased.
So many players have left the game and community, most of the people on these forums who remain like the current games.
However the cold hard truth is the games are not working, look at sales numbers, player counts, or practically anywhere.
I think a truly classic Halo could be what the community needs right now.
I can't play Halo 5, bought it played a week then sold my Xbox One
Only have one now for MCC to play Halo 2 and 3 mostly
15 years I played Halo, but I cannot enjoy one second of Halo 5
ADS, Sprint all big reasons. They make me feel sick.
I wouldn't say this forum is biased. Maybe in the past, but most people have been praising the return to the classic artstyle and music.
I'm fine with it provided it doesn't change a weapon's projectile spread or recoil or any of those properties. I'd also be fine with it if Smart-Scope were to completely alter the weapon's properties, like the LightRifle's switch from the higher-RoF four-shot when unscoped to a lower-RoF three-shot when using the scope.
The way its done in halo 5 is perfect in my opinion and I'd like to see it stay, I was skepitcal of its inclusion when it was announced but found that I really liked it.
If you gave me a classic Halo with the complexity of Halo 2 or 5, I'll be fine. ADS doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Dislike ads and they don't need to be in halo games imo
Personally, I like ADS.
But I don't think there's any dominant bias on here. The debate seems to be pretty even on both sides.
I would equate the sales performance to a much broader range of high-quality competition to what Halo 1 through 3 had. Which isn't to say Halo isn't good enough to totally dominate anymore, just that there's more variation to suit more consumers personal likes.
I like it. I also like the current system. I think it combined with the classic art style would be a amazing.
I used to be against it but I don't really care if it stays or goes. I can play fine with or without it.
LoxtonA01 wrote:
Personally, I like ADS.
But I don't think there's any dominant bias on here. The debate seems to be pretty even on both sides.
I would equate the sales performance to a much broader range of high-quality competition to what Halo 1 through 3 had. Which isn't to say Halo isn't good enough to totally dominate anymore, just that there's more variation to suit more consumers personal likes.
Well, that isn't exactly true. Halo: CE and Halo 2 arguably didn't have any competition because they defined the genre (FPS's and online matchmaking). On the other hand Halo 3 put up with just as much competition as Halo 5 is facing yet remained the top played game on XBL for 3 years. Here is an in-depth video on the subject.
I like it. I also like the current system. I think it combined with the classic art style would be a amazing.
I prefer the classic gameplay, but don't particularly mind Halo 5's. I think they should at least tone the enhanced mobility down.
Tacymist wrote:
I used to be against it but I don't really care if it stays or goes. I can play fine with or without it.
For me it's about the same thing except Halo ADS has a cool animation and has become more of a quality of life thing. Also, it saves my right stick some wear and tear.
Ditch them improving weapon stats and I wouldn’t mind, also make sure to keep hip fire relevant.
Spartans don't need to aim down sights. Their scope is connected to their helmet feed. That's why in the old games spartans fired from the hip with pinpoint accuracy. Not only does it contradict the lore, but it doesn't feel very "Halo" in general. I don't remember anyone complaining about the old scope system. Maybe if we were normal marines or something I'd understand.
Spartans don't need to aim down sights. Their scope is connected to their helmet feed. That's why in the old games spartans fired from the hip with pinpoint accuracy. Not only does it contradict the lore, but it doesn't feel very "Halo" in general. I don't remember anyone complaining about the old scope system. Maybe if we were normal marines or something I'd understand.
I know the lore, but I think it's good practice not to let lore influence gameplay.
LH Justin wrote:
LoxtonA01 wrote:
Personally, I like ADS.
Well, that isn't exactly true. Halo: CE and Halo 2 arguably didn't have any competition because they defined the genre (FPS's and online matchmaking). On the other hand Halo 3 put up with just as much competition as Halo 5 is facing yet remained the top played game on XBL for 3 years. Here is an in-depth video on the subject.
I'm reposting this from another thread because I don't feel like going back through all my data points, but the argument that video uses is a fallacy, because it misrepresents market trends at the time. Halo 3 had no competition; many of the franchises that exist now existed back then yes, but those franchises were not any where close to as dominant as they are now in sales, either compared to Halo or even to themselves.

Modern Warfare sold a million copies less than Halo 3 by January across three platforms than Halo 3 sold across just the one. WaW is even less popular, sitting at 7.49 million copies sold on the 360 right now, which is a million and a half less than what Halo 3 sold in its first 4 months (and less than MW). Modern Warfare 2 is the first time CoD beat Halo, and it beat it badly. If you track the sales numbers of the franchise, Halo never had the numbers it had since Halo 3; every consecutive game has had fewer and fewer sales, with opening weekend sales increasing on face value, but not proportionately, selling only a few more hundred thousand copies. Modern Warfare 2 and subsequent games, however, skyrocketed, with 20million sales by that June, and beating Halo 3 handily even on just the 360 at its current 13.51 million copies (Halo 3 sits at 12.13million). No Halo game, ever, has sold that well in its opening weeks and months, not even Halo 3.

That's the moment the fight was out of Halo's hands; the market had shifted entirely, and now the franchise had genuine competition. Up until that point, CoD was a secondary game to Halo; the CoD craze hadn't begun, so simply saying that CoD was releasing games during Halo 3's life cycle is a fallacy because it misrepresents where the market was at the time. When MW2 came out, the entire market shifted away from Halo and Halo-type games, and Reach didn't cause this shift. Reach wouldn't come out for another year, and when it did, people just didn't buy into it. Many purchased it on the hype of it being Bungie's last Halo game, but they never were going to stick with it because CoD--the new in-game--was releasing more games. Black Ops 1 beat even MW2, sitting at 14.74 million copies on the 360 alone, eclipsing Reach's sales numbers by 5 million copies. When the holiday season came around, people didn't buy the new Halo. They bought the new CoD. Is that Reach's fault, or is it MW2's crazy success? It may well be a little of both, but simple analytics would suggest the greater culprit is MW2.

So not only was Halo no longer at its prime sales wise, new people weren't buying it. MW2 introduced millions of new people to gaming, and as they were playing CoD, so were all of their friends and families--something I experienced myself. For as much as I prefer Halo, when MW2 came out, I spent more time there than I did Halo 3 because that's what all my family and friends were playing as well. And that momentum is what carried the crown of console gaming away from Halo onto CoD and CoD-like games for the next several years. Halo wasn't capturing the attention of all the new gamers that CoD brought in, and the momentum all of these new gamers brought with them carried many long time Halo vets away from Halo as well. Halo was being purchased by the old crowd, yes, but the gaming youngsters weren't into it, and the old crowd wasn't sticking with it. Not to defend Reach mind you--I personally feel it's the worst game in the franchise, because it's the only game to fundamentally change the way the gunplay works in a Halo game with reticule bloom. But if people really were just looking for a more traditional Halo experience, they'd have been playing Halo 3. They weren't. They were playing Call of Duty, and Halo hasn't done anything drastic enough to bring people back since. Halo 3 had fallen behind Reach and CoD by this time; not exactly unexpected for such an older game, but it does prove my point that gamers will follow the next big thing, regardless of the quality of that thing, and not the minutiae of the mechanics. And again, not to discount the missteps made along the way, but Halo has more or less delivered the same experience again and again with the same kind of matchmaking structure built around the same fundamental core playlists and concepts without adding anything new to spice it up. That's what's dragging this franchise down, and it's a sentiment echo'd by many outside of Halo's core sphere of fans, such as Ben "Yahztee" Croshaw.
LH Justin wrote:
I know the lore, but I think it's good practice not to let lore influence gameplay.
I know that all too well. I'm just coming from an angle that's more relatable. Although I'm pretty sure 343 used lore to justify the addition of ADS (and named it smart link), so lol.
I was kind of mind-blown with the ADS graphics in Halo 5. I like being able to hover with it, and the fact that you can reach (barely) further with it.

I like how weapons aren't dependent on ADS though (and also that it's cancelled upon taking fire), so it still feels like Halo.

Overall, I want the next Halo to have the same pace as Halo 5 (with or without sprint), and because I think this aiming system will be able to keep up the fast pace, I want ADS to stay.
Ads are cool, I like the idea of gameplay getting inturupted so a random company can sell me stuff. :P
I can't stand ADS or "Smart-Scope". I can deal with Sprint. Thrust (or strafe) and Clamber are logical evolutionary steps (such as crouch and jump once were) in terms of character movement, although they can be done differently (like without lowering the weapons). They make the game smoother and intuitive, but Smart-Scope does the opposite. It adds an annoying extra step to combat that shouldn't be there. It destroys the fluidity of Halo' s gameplay. ADS is easily my least favourite aspect of Halo 5's gameplay. Let's not make Halo just another generic FPS like all the rest. Let's leave Smart-Scope behind, and move forward with the standard Zoom of every other Halo FPS.
I never thought ADS should've been in the game in the first place, and my thoughts haven't changed. It's not a feature that contributes to gameplay in any beneficial way, and I don't care for it visually. It's one of those features that does nothing but makes Halo less unique. So, if Halo is to find its own tune again, I think it would help to get rid of ADS.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11