Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Feelings on ADS

OP LH Justin

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
I'm fine seeing some kind of modern mechanic in halo, but not ads. If any of the halo 5 abilities made the game not feel like a halo game it was this
I'm fine seeing some kind of modern mechanic in halo, but not ads. If any of the halo 5 abilities made the game not feel like a halo game it was this
I disagree, I'd sooner say ground pound was less halo than we've seen up to this point than ads, but then again I like both so maybe I'm biased
LH Justin wrote:
Spartans don't need to aim down sights. Their scope is connected to their helmet feed. That's why in the old games spartans fired from the hip with pinpoint accuracy. Not only does it contradict the lore, but it doesn't feel very "Halo" in general. I don't remember anyone complaining about the old scope system. Maybe if we were normal marines or something I'd understand.
I know the lore, but I think it's good practice not to let lore influence gameplay.
I know that all too well. I'm just coming from an angle that's more relatable. Although I'm pretty sure 343 used lore to justify the addition of ADS (and named it smart link), so lol.
They really only did that for people complaining about the lore in the first place.
Ads are cool, I like the idea of gameplay getting inturupted so a random company can sell me stuff. :P
Hardey har.
I can't stand ADS or "Smart-Scope". I'm happy with Sprint. Thrust (or strafe) and Clamber are logical evolutionary steps (such as crouch and jump once were) in terms of character movement. They make the game smoother and intuitive, but Smart-Scope does the opposite. It adds an annoying extra step to combat that shouldn't be there. ADS is easily my least favourite aspect of Halo 5's gameplay. Let's leave Smart-Scope behind, and move forward with the standard Zoom of every other Halo FPS.
That's an interesting take. To me ADS is the least "intrusive" addition to the game.
tsassi wrote:
I never thought ADS should've been in the game in the first place, and my thoughts haven't changed. It's not a feature that contributes to gameplay in any beneficial way, and I don't care for it visually. It's one of those features that does nothing but makes Halo less unique. So, if Halo is to find its own tune again, I think it would help to get rid of ADS.
Fair enough. I like them both because they function pretty similarly in my opinion. I wouldn't bank on 343i dropping everything from Halo 5's gameplay however. Just judging off the artstyle the game is going to be an amalgamation of classic and modern Halo. Only time will tell how well that works (if it even ends up that way).
I'm fine seeing some kind of modern mechanic in halo, but not ads. If any of the halo 5 abilities made the game not feel like a halo game it was this
I'd argue that the enhanced mobility is the biggest offender as far as "feeling like Halo" goes.
Of course it should be! There is no wrong with Smart Link!
I want them to NOT bring back ADS.

I never understood why they change from the regular scoping mechanic that has been part of the franchise for over a decade to something that looks and plays like a generic shooter.
Of course it should be! There is no wrong with Smart Link!
Some people don't agree.
I want them to not bring back ADS. I never understood why they change from the regular scoping mechanic that's part of the franchise for over a decade to something that's looks and plays like a generic shooter.
Maybe the thought it fit better into their game, or it just looks cooler. It has little effect on gameplay.
LH Justin wrote:
Of course it should be! There is no wrong with Smart Link!
Some people don't agree.
I want them to not bring back ADS. I never understood why they change from the regular scoping mechanic that's part of the franchise for over a decade to something that's looks and plays like a generic shooter.
Maybe the thought it fit better into their game, or it just looks cooler. It has little effect on gameplay.
I know some guys don't like it! What I'm saying is that there is not something bad about the Smart Link. Not that the should bring it because I like it!
Ew, no.

There is no reason to have 'ads' in Halo. Not one. It's a horrid mechanic for Halo. If a weapon has a scope, it should have the traditional zoom like classic Halos. If it doesn't, then it should be like the standard AR zoom in 5.

None of this aiming down the sights nonsense. Especially when it increases accuracy for you autos. It's just another stupid mechanic that makes Halo less unique and more like other shooters when that is the opposite of what Halo needs to be doing.
LH Justin wrote:
So say we return to classic gameplay. How would you feel if ADS (aim down sights) were to stay in the game? I always see people debating enhanced mobility so much and never hear anyone mention ADS so I want to know people's thoughts on it. Personally, I kind of like it.
ADS doesn't even feel like ADS when you use a controller setting that doesn't require holding in a trigger. I just feel like it's a more realistic approach to the classic zoom in Halo 5. I welcome it if I can keep my Legacy sticks and Recon button layout.
Why is it even in the game? It literally does nothing other than add more range to weapons, in all other titles there was never a point where I thought "I need to ADS with the shotgun", its completely useless and it astonishes me that anyone would think that it contributes positively to gameplay.
Ew, no.

There is no reason to have 'ads' in Halo. Not one. It's a horrid mechanic for Halo. If a weapon has a scope, it should have the traditional zoom like classic Halos. If it doesn't, then it should be like the standard AR zoom in 5.

None of this aiming down the sights nonsense. Especially when it increases accuracy for you autos. It's just another stupid mechanic that makes Halo less unique and more like other shooters when that is the opposite of what Halo needs to be doing.
Honestly I think it does very little to change the game other than looking cool. Yeah, it increases accuracy for automatic weapons, but isn't this a good thing in a situation where all you have is an AR or SMG and the opposing players are spawn camping you?
LH Justin wrote:
So say we return to classic gameplay. How would you feel if ADS (aim down sights) were to stay in the game? I always see people debating enhanced mobility so much and never hear anyone mention ADS so I want to know people's thoughts on it. Personally, I kind of like it.
ADS doesn't even feel like ADS when you use a controller setting that doesn't require holding in a trigger. I just feel like it's a more realistic approach to the classic zoom in Halo 5. I welcome it if I can keep my Legacy sticks and Recon button layout.
That's my feeling on it. Its hardly noticeable.
Why is it even in the game? It literally does nothing other than add more range to weapons, in all other titles there was never a point where I thought "I need to ADS with the shotgun", its completely useless and it astonishes me that anyone would think that it contributes positively to gameplay.
What argument do you have that it contributes negatively to gameplay? I provided a positive in this post.
LH Justin wrote:
So say we return to classic gameplay. How would you feel if ADS (aim down sights) were to stay in the game? I always see people debating enhanced mobility so much and never hear anyone mention ADS so I want to know people's thoughts on it. Personally, I kind of like it.
I'd rather they get rid of ADS completely and just bring back the zoom in for the battle rifle, beam rifle, carbine, and sniper rifle. ADS doesn't belong in Halo.
I'm fine with it visually, I prefer the actual zoom screens but I'd be fine with ADS returning. But that's just with precision weapons. I don't want ADS or any type of zoom whatsoever with automatic weapons, especially if it actually tightens the bullet spread as well.
ADS adds range to autos, which does not belong in Halo. You have scoped weapons for that. ADS also makes Halo more generic. No thank you, I don't want to see it return.
LH Justin wrote:
So say we return to classic gameplay. How would you feel if ADS (aim down sights) were to stay in the game? I always see people debating enhanced mobility so much and never hear anyone mention ADS so I want to know people's thoughts on it. Personally, I kind of like it.
I said this in another post today. This forum is biased.
So many players have left the game and community, most of the people on these forums who remain like the current games.
However the cold hard truth is the games are not working, look at sales numbers, player counts, or practically anywhere.
I think a truly classic Halo could be what the community needs right now.
I can't play Halo 5, bought it played a week then sold my Xbox One
Only have one now for MCC to play Halo 2 and 3 mostly
15 years I played Halo, but I cannot enjoy one second of Halo 5
ADS, Sprint all big reasons. They make me feel sick.
And as I have said before. The gameplay mechanics are not the main reason people left or didn't buy the game altogether. It is A reason sure but not the main reason. Halo 5s launch was terrible to say the least. A mediocre campaign at best, 0 split screen, less MP content than Halo CE, no playable elites, less armor customization than Halo 3, a requirement to get req packs for all player customization, 0 custom games or game customizarion, 0 forge, and 0 theater. Sure some of these are in the game now and its a significantly better game now but a huge amount of the games sales come from the first few months. Halo 5 simply had to poor an amount of content at launch to have been a great success. I would argue that if it had most the contect it has now it would have been at least twice as successful and thats not even fixing the other half of the problems I posted.

Halo 5 wouldnt have magically been a great success if it had halo 3s gameplay. I very much doubt it would have done any better than it did.

As for the OPs question. I dont really care either way. ADS now is little more than a zoom for most weapons. If i had my way ranged weapons that have scopes would go back to the old style and everything else would keep the zoomin. But either way it wont really effect me.
LH Justin wrote:
Ew, no.

There is no reason to have 'ads' in Halo. Not one. It's a horrid mechanic for Halo. If a weapon has a scope, it should have the traditional zoom like classic Halos. If it doesn't, then it should be like the standard AR zoom in 5.

None of this aiming down the sights nonsense. Especially when it increases accuracy for you autos. It's just another stupid mechanic that makes Halo less unique and more like other shooters when that is the opposite of what Halo needs to be doing.
Honestly I think it does very little to change the game other than looking cool. Yeah, it increases accuracy for automatic weapons, but isn't this a good thing in a situation where all you have is an AR or SMG and the opposing players are spawn camping you?
LH Justin wrote:
So say we return to classic gameplay. How would you feel if ADS (aim down sights) were to stay in the game? I always see people debating enhanced mobility so much and never hear anyone mention ADS so I want to know people's thoughts on it. Personally, I kind of like it.
ADS doesn't even feel like ADS when you use a controller setting that doesn't require holding in a trigger. I just feel like it's a more realistic approach to the classic zoom in Halo 5. I welcome it if I can keep my Legacy sticks and Recon button layout.
That's my feeling on it. Its hardly noticeable.
Why is it even in the game? It literally does nothing other than add more range to weapons, in all other titles there was never a point where I thought "I need to ADS with the shotgun", its completely useless and it astonishes me that anyone would think that it contributes positively to gameplay.
What argument do you have that it contributes negatively to gameplay? I provided a positive in this post.
343 added every weapon to have ADS, because realistically, you're more accurate looking down the sights of a given weapon over hip-firing....plus morphing Promethian weapons in ADS affects the weapon itself too. To be honest, 343 could easily add weapon changes or alternate firing modes to weapons that are zoomed in. Some REQs do this already.

It really doesn't matter. ADS is only a problem if it copies other series' games that take time to do so or the view is literally so focused down the sights that it's hard to see. 343 did ADS right for Halo in H5. It doesn't need altered whatsoever.
It depends how it's implemented. I don't see a problem with having a scope / descope animation for ranged weapons, but I'm not a fan of ADS applying to every weapon in the game, let alone tightening the spread of automatics.
LH Justin wrote:
So say we return to classic gameplay. How would you feel if ADS (aim down sights) were to stay in the game? I always see people debating enhanced mobility so much and never hear anyone mention ADS so I want to know people's thoughts on it. Personally, I kind of like it.
I'd rather they get rid of ADS completely and just bring back the zoom in for the battle rifle, beam rifle, carbine, and sniper rifle. ADS doesn't belong in Halo.
That's one opinion. It functions pretty much the same as the zoom regardless of the visual representation.
I'm fine with it visually, I prefer the actual zoom screens but I'd be fine with ADS returning. But that's just with precision weapons. I don't want ADS or any type of zoom whatsoever with automatic weapons, especially if it actually tightens the bullet spread as well.
Yeah that makes sense. I can understand not wanting it on automatic weapons. Although, you have to admit it makes you feel like less of a defenseless target with the AR and SMG now,
ADS adds range to autos, which does not belong in Halo. You have scoped weapons for that. ADS also makes Halo more generic. No thank you, I don't want to see it return.
It has both benefits and downfalls. The biggest problem in this community to me is the notion that because a feature is "generic" it's bad. Saving and loading games is generic. XP
I like the aiming though, it's not intrusive, ie I don't use it with the shotgun most times and don't "feel" disadvantaged
I found myself avoiding using it because it because it didn't feel right with the classic control scheme (RS click to zoom).

I would definitely prefer they bring back the old zoom system AND that they set the default controls so that RS is zoom, not LT like every other First Person Shooter.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12