Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Flood-like Weapons (New faction Primordials)

OP Marinealver

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Quote:
Note: After some discussion in this thread I think a general concession is that the Flood don't make their weapons. However that is not enough reason that weapons of the same origin as the flood could be created within the Halo Universe. Enter the Primordials, much like the Prometheans came from the Forerunners, the Primodials did not come from the flood, but instead from the Primordial (Aka, The Captive One, AKA The Beast). These could have been its first attack before capture and imprisonment and after their failure the Primordial made the Flood, or the Primordial could have made them after the flood. Either way this new weapon pool would equip the 4th galactic power in Halo with a weapon that has a Flood like aesthetic, while not being Flood in origin.
So we have UNSC, Covenant (and their splinter forces aka Brutes), and Forerunner weapons (I consider Prometheans a Forerunner subfaction). But one faction of the Big 4 has yet to provide any weapons, the Flood. To put things in perspective, the forerunners a faction of floaty and teleportation machines have a vehicle before the flood got any guns. Now I know what some people are saying, the flood are space zombies they don't need guns, they simply take the guns from the other guys and use them. Well for 2 reasons, one fighting enemies that don't drop weapons are frustrating. Can you imagine fighting all those sentinels on Halo 2 if they didn't drop a sentinel beam upon their destruction? Also what made fighting the flood really annoying in H3 was pure forms being a %@$#& to fight against and left you with nothing in returns (especially in range form). It was easy to run out of ammo. Here are some ideas.
For a list of Vehicle concept see this thread.

Flood weapon characteristics
  • disgusting make them slimy and grose maybe even pulsating a little
  • regenerating ammo So no heat, no reloads, but ammo regenerates over time. Now if you run out of ammo, you can just put it away and wait for it to regenerate, but if you burn through ammo you might find yourself out of bullets (or whatever those things the flood shoot at you are called).
  • Living weapon you are not holding an infection form (at least not one that is infecting you) but you are using a weapon that is part of the flood and only knows hunger. These weapons may have some sort of sentience that seeks out targets, if done right it would be what you were aiming for, if done careless, your weapon may try and eat you.
Anyways here are some ideas for Flood weapons
  • Spine Launcher So remember the range form from Halo 3. This is what they shoot at you. So nothing too special more like a rapid fire flood rifle. If you make a melee attack with this it becomes a mouth that chomps at your enemy. But be careful because if you miss it may bite your arm. Won't do any damage but you will be disabled from shooting, reloading, throwing grenades, picking up or switching weapons until you get your arm out of that jam.
  • Infestation Head This is going to sound like using a tiger as a weapon by holding it by the tale. The Tank form was able to spawn infection forms from its mouth. Take the head of a tank, and it could spawn infection forms. Now of course they won't be able to turn players into combat forms or corpses into carrier forms in multiplayer (or could they? mwahaha) but take out your victim's shields, and drop these nasties with them and enjoy. Just be sure not to be the closest source of food otherwise you will be running from your own, bullets? Any way give this a slow regeneration rate so it is more of a specialist weapon like the grenade launcher.
  • Stalker Scythe We have the range form weapon, we have the tank form weapon, now all we need is the stalker form. Problem is the stalker never had any weapons other than its arms. Well there you go take one and it looks like a scythe. Now of course it has been proven that a scythe is an unwieldy weapon as it was made for farming but if anime taught us anything is that if used competently it looks awesome. Now the ammo could be the blade length and if it is out of ammo it just breaks into a combat form arm that will regenerate eventually.
  • Tentacle Launcher So the flood has a thing for tentacles (okay maybe not just the flood). Gravemind had them everywhere and we saw them in HW2 nightmare, so this would be the flood's long range weapon. It fires a flood rocket attached by a tentacle so you could guide it like a fly by wire missile but it is fly by tentacle, well you get the picture. If the tip hits something then it explodes like a small grenade but it is a instant kill headshot. However if you miss the target but you can touch it with the tentacle then it wraps around the target be it infantry or light vehicle like a lasso, giving you the opportunity to throw it into a wall of off a bridge. At the very least immobilize it for a few seconds so you can finish them with another weapon. This also goes without saying but slow ammo regeneration.
  • Spore Grenades So the carrier forms is the form that goes boom, but does all of it explode (looking at Wright packets from Myth that Ghouls used to throw). So these are pretty much Flood version of grenades, it just leaves a green gaseous cloud that can be used to obscure vision. Hey it is more than a spike grenade.
Well those are my ideas, what are your thoughts?
This would be so cool. I'd love to see some fleshy, gross, seemingly alive weapons.
This is really well thought out. I like the concept honestly.
I've got so many Half Life and Stranger Wrath's callbacks right now!^^

Don't think it would work lore wise though, because Flood "weapons" are just modified body-parts (or corpses in the case of the tentacles) and as such always attached to some form of Flood carrier. We could maybe get some sort of gland that works like a grenade, which on impact releases spores hurting the victim and also attracts Floods forms towards it. May we can also use a spike form as a living turret: it wont stop firing and its hard to control, but does huge damage. Other than this... I don't see "flesh canons" work in Halo honestly, even though the idea is always welcome in my weirdo agenda! 😂🤘😎
I've got so many Half Life and Stranger Wrath's callbacks right now!^^

Don't think it would work lore wise though, because Flood "weapons" are just modified body-parts (or corpses in the case of the tentacles) and as such always attached to some form of Flood carrier. We could maybe get some sort of gland that works like a grenade, which on impact releases spores hurting the victim and also attracts Floods forms towards it. May we can also use a spike form as a living turret: it wont stop firing and its hard to control, but does huge damage. Other than this... I don't see "flesh canons" work in Halo honestly, even though the idea is always welcome in my weirdo agenda! 😂🤘😎
The Hive hand came to mind but that was for a 40K Battlefront game (for the Tyranid faction).

As for Lore wise the Flood is the most mysterious faction as far as the games go (I guess there are some books some where that say some things but I heard the one explaining everything was a rough read). I mean in Halo 1-3 the flood kept evolving from space zombies, to hive mind space zombies that can control vehicles, to pure forms of flood biomass with no host what so ever (but no less hungry for food). Only the Forerunners were more enigmatic until H4 then they became pretty much ancient human(oids) closer to the UNSC than sentient machine race that took the torch from their creators. Now the Flood is the most enigmatic faction of the big 4. With the UNSC-Covenant war in its conclusion I believe it is time to revisit the Forerunner-Flood war. Sure Halo 3 was supposed to conclude both wars but H4 threw everything back into contention. The flood need to make a return, and most of all they need to evolve!
That's the thing about the Flood. They don't need weapons, they have numbers and are a hivemind.
This concept confuses me. A Flood "weapon" would be made out of Flood cells, which is an extremely dangerous bioweapon in its own right. Running around with weapons that could potentially turn on you wouldn't make sense in terms of gameplay or story. I only see this as a benefit for people who really enjoy the Flood, so essentially fanservice.
Chimera30 wrote:
This concept confuses me. A Flood "weapon" would be made out of Flood cells, which is an extremely dangerous bioweapon in its own right. Running around with weapons that could potentially turn on you wouldn't make sense in terms of gameplay or story. I only see this as a benefit for people who really enjoy the Flood, so essentially fanservice.
That is why there is a risk of the weapon literally backfiring. In terms of gameplay it is the epitome of risk-reward. Such mechanics can be competitive as well as being fun. Take the Orks from 40k for example. There you have a competitive game that uses malfunctions that can hurt the player employing them as much as the opponent. The key is to make it so that it is more of a mastery of the weapon and not just random chance. There is way to mitigate the risk so when it does turn back on you then it isn't bad luck but the fault of the user and they are getting punished for it.

In terms of lore, it is just another way for the flood to evolve as we have seen the flood do so with each halo game they were in. Heck they could even be a splinter group of the flood, the Primordials a faction seeking to reclaim what was taken from them by the forerunners and even the Graveminds. After all if the other 3 factions have been broken into splinter groups then why not should the Flood. The flood may be collective in their hunger but since each swarm seeks to make a grave mind they are not purely collective in species. I could do another whole thread on the splinter factions of the big 4 but that is going off on a tangent.

So what about the weapon concepts. What do you think of them, any ideas on what stats you would put on them or other weapon ideas?
Chimera30 wrote:
This concept confuses me. A Flood "weapon" would be made out of Flood cells, which is an extremely dangerous bioweapon in its own right. Running around with weapons that could potentially turn on you wouldn't make sense in terms of gameplay or story. I only see this as a benefit for people who really enjoy the Flood, so essentially fanservice.
Yes, lets willingly wield something thats actively trying to convert you into more of itself...
3
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."
Chimera30 wrote:
This concept confuses me. A Flood "weapon" would be made out of Flood cells, which is an extremely dangerous bioweapon in its own right. Running around with weapons that could potentially turn on you wouldn't make sense in terms of gameplay or story. I only see this as a benefit for people who really enjoy the Flood, so essentially fanservice.
Yes, lets willingly wield something thats actively trying to convert you into more of itself...
As mentioned in this YouTube Video from HiddenXperia it can be done so it should be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxLZGJBidAA
Chimera30 wrote:
This concept confuses me. A Flood "weapon" would be made out of Flood cells, which is an extremely dangerous bioweapon in its own right. Running around with weapons that could potentially turn on you wouldn't make sense in terms of gameplay or story. I only see this as a benefit for people who really enjoy the Flood, so essentially fanservice.
Yes, lets willingly wield something thats actively trying to convert you into more of itself...
As mentioned in this YouTube Video from HiddenXperia it can be done so it should be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxLZGJBidAA
Still way too dangerous for any Spartan to even THINK about doing it.
Standard UNSC orders for encountering any Flood biomass of any kind is BURN IT.
1
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."
Chimera30 wrote:
This concept confuses me. A Flood "weapon" would be made out of Flood cells, which is an extremely dangerous bioweapon in its own right. Running around with weapons that could potentially turn on you wouldn't make sense in terms of gameplay or story. I only see this as a benefit for people who really enjoy the Flood, so essentially fanservice.
That is why there is a risk of the weapon literally backfiring. In terms of gameplay it is the epitome of risk-reward. Such mechanics can be competitive as well as being fun. Take the Orks from 40k for example. There you have a competitive game that uses malfunctions that can hurt the player employing them as much as the opponent. The key is to make it so that it is more of a mastery of the weapon and not just random chance. There is way to mitigate the risk so when it does turn back on you then it isn't bad luck but the fault of the user and they are getting punished for it.

In terms of lore, it is just another way for the flood to evolve as we have seen the flood do so with each halo game they were in. Heck they could even be a splinter group of the flood, the Primordials a faction seeking to reclaim what was taken from them by the forerunners and even the Graveminds. After all if the other 3 factions have been broken into splinter groups then why not should the Flood. The flood may be collective in their hunger but since each swarm seeks to make a grave mind they are not purely collective in species. I could do another whole thread on the splinter factions of the big 4 but that is going off on a tangent.

So what about the weapon concepts. What do you think of them, any ideas on what stats you would put on them or other weapon ideas?
What I meant about it not making sense in the lore is that no living being from any race would risk wielding a Flood weapon if there was even a chance that it could infect them. That would be incredibly irresponsible. From a gameplay perspective, a weapon that can backfire on you doesn't sound more competitive to me. To me, it sounds less competitive. And given that Warhammer 40k is a RPG game, I don't see things that work in 40k working in Halo. The closest thing to "Malfunctions" in Halo I can think of were campaign skulls that took away HUD elements, or that Yappening gametype in MCC (a social playlist) where you spawned with a random HUD element disabled. In both scenarios, these mallfunctions were in non-competitive areas of the game

Also the Flood is purely collective. While multiple Graveminds can exist at once, they share the same mind. It's a single hivemind; Graveminds just serve as nodes which the mind uses for processing power. The idea of a splinter group of Flood goes against the nature of the Flood.

I won't critique the weapon concepts because I vehemently disagree with the idea of Flood-based weaponry and would not like to see such a thing in Halo in any form, beyond the Flood sword-arm in Halo 4's Flood mode. I see the idea of introducing Flood weapons as purely fanservice to bring more Flood into the game, which is something I'm actually against.
As mentioned in this YouTube Video from HiddenXperia it can be done so it should be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxLZGJBidAA
Just because HiddenXperia has an idea doesn't mean its a good one.
The Flood IS a weapon in itself, it doesn't produce "wieldable" weapons nor has it ever had the need to produce weapons made of themselves.
Not trying to be rude, but this is beyond fanservice, it just doesn't make any sense.
Chimera30 wrote:
Chimera30 wrote:
This concept confuses me. A Flood "weapon" would be made out of Flood cells, which is an extremely dangerous bioweapon in its own right. Running around with weapons that could potentially turn on you wouldn't make sense in terms of gameplay or story. I only see this as a benefit for people who really enjoy the Flood, so essentially fanservice.
That is why there is a risk of the weapon literally backfiring. In terms of gameplay it is the epitome of risk-reward. Such mechanics can be competitive as well as being fun. Take the Orks from 40k for example. There you have a competitive game that uses malfunctions that can hurt the player employing them as much as the opponent. The key is to make it so that it is more of a mastery of the weapon and not just random chance. There is way to mitigate the risk so when it does turn back on you then it isn't bad luck but the fault of the user and they are getting punished for it.

In terms of lore, it is just another way for the flood to evolve as we have seen the flood do so with each halo game they were in. Heck they could even be a splinter group of the flood, the Primordials a faction seeking to reclaim what was taken from them by the forerunners and even the Graveminds. After all if the other 3 factions have been broken into splinter groups then why not should the Flood. The flood may be collective in their hunger but since each swarm seeks to make a grave mind they are not purely collective in species. I could do another whole thread on the splinter factions of the big 4 but that is going off on a tangent.

So what about the weapon concepts. What do you think of them, any ideas on what stats you would put on them or other weapon ideas?
What I meant about it not making sense in the lore is that no living being from any race would risk wielding a Flood weapon if there was even a chance that it could infect them. That would be incredibly irresponsible. From a gameplay perspective, a weapon that can backfire on you doesn't sound more competitive to me. To me, it sounds less competitive. And given that Warhammer 40k is a RPG game, I don't see things that work in 40k working in Halo. The closest thing to "Malfunctions" in Halo I can think of were campaign skulls that took away HUD elements, or that Yappening gametype in MCC (a social playlist) where you spawned with a random HUD element disabled. In both scenarios, these mallfunctions were in non-competitive areas of the game

Also the Flood is purely collective. While multiple Graveminds can exist at once, they share the same mind. It's a single hivemind; Graveminds just serve as nodes which the mind uses for processing power. The idea of a splinter group of Flood goes against the nature of the Flood.

I won't critique the weapon concepts because I vehemently disagree with the idea of Flood-based weaponry and would not like to see such a thing in Halo in any form, beyond the Flood sword-arm in Halo 4's Flood mode. I see the idea of introducing Flood weapons as purely fanservice to bring more Flood into the game, which is something I'm actually against.
As mentioned in this YouTube Video from HiddenXperia it can be done so it should be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxLZGJBidAA
Just because HiddenXperia has an idea doesn't mean its a good one.
Just to clarify it wasn't an idea in the video, but just an oration on the Flood doing some impressively intelligent things not of what we would consider from space zombie parasites, especially when their drones are so mindless.

As for malfunctions I was hoping we could finally see the broken visor from lone wolf the last level of halo reach. But that is off on a tangent. Promethain weapons seem a little more like fan service, but they are not going to be absent in the next game nor should they be (they still need some mechanical tweaks to separate them from UNSC). Flood Weapons have more potential, and I say that potential is worth enough to explore in both game play and story.
Promethain weapons seem a little more like fan service, but they are not going to be absent in the next game nor should they be (they still need some mechanical tweaks to separate them from UNSC). Flood Weapons have more potential, and I say that potential is worth enough to explore in both game play and story.
I disagree. Forerunners were always known as a technological race, even back in the Bungie era of Halo. It is a natural assumption that Forerunners had their own types of weapons; Sentinel beams being usable after detaching from the Sentinels is proof of this. It's also less fanservice because Prometheans were introduced as a full faction, complete with their own technology, just as the Covenant had once been introduced. Flood weapons would be more fanservice because we'd already been introduced to the Flood and they didn't have such weapons, not to mention they aren't a technological race; they've always co-opted other races' tech to suit their needs instead of making their own. Any natural weaponry a Flood unit could employ (bone spikes, spore bombs, etc.) should only be usable by a live Flood unit. I personally don't see the idea of Flood Weapons having potential worth exploring.
Chimera30 wrote:
Promethain weapons seem a little more like fan service, but they are not going to be absent in the next game nor should they be (they still need some mechanical tweaks to separate them from UNSC). Flood Weapons have more potential, and I say that potential is worth enough to explore in both game play and story.
I disagree. Forerunners were always known as a technological race, even back in the Bungie era of Halo. It is a natural assumption that Forerunners had their own types of weapons; Sentinel beams being usable after detaching from the Sentinels is proof of this. It's also less fanservice because Prometheans were introduced as a full faction, complete with their own technology, just as the Covenant had once been introduced. Flood weapons would be more fanservice because we'd already been introduced to the Flood and they didn't have such weapons, not to mention they aren't a technological race; they've always co-opted other races' tech to suit their needs instead of making their own. Any natural weaponry a Flood unit could employ (bone spikes, spore bombs, etc.) should only be usable by a live Flood unit. I personally don't see the idea of Flood Weapons having potential worth exploring.
Well I expected some to disagree, but instead of quote pyramids to defense I am going back to talk about how flood weapons could be added in.
This would be so cool. I'd love to see some fleshy, gross, seemingly alive weapons.
Izaya wrote:
This is really well thought out. I like the concept honestly.
So here is a question, if you were to design a Flood Weapon what would your concept be and what purpose would it be used for?
I feel like flood weapons don't work lore wise. Why haven't we seen them all this time? Also, like others have said, a weapon that could immediately turn on you would draw a lot of complicated mechanics into the gameplay, and would still make no sense. If it can discern between a flood infected being and a regular organism, why would it even let you operate it at all? Finally, in my opinion, one of the core horrors of the flood is how they infect anything they can, and use whatever weapons there are. They attack indiscriminately and like a flood, overwhelming anything and everything. Flood weapons would have to be used by the flood (obviously), but this makes them feel less horrifying and infiltrative. What next? A flood vehicle? Space vessel?

Cool concept though.
Chimera30 wrote:
Promethain weapons seem a little more like fan service, but they are not going to be absent in the next game nor should they be (they still need some mechanical tweaks to separate them from UNSC). Flood Weapons have more potential, and I say that potential is worth enough to explore in both game play and story.
I disagree. Forerunners were always known as a technological race, even back in the Bungie era of Halo. It is a natural assumption that Forerunners had their own types of weapons; Sentinel beams being usable after detaching from the Sentinels is proof of this. It's also less fanservice because Prometheans were introduced as a full faction, complete with their own technology, just as the Covenant had once been introduced. Flood weapons would be more fanservice because we'd already been introduced to the Flood and they didn't have such weapons, not to mention they aren't a technological race; they've always co-opted other races' tech to suit their needs instead of making their own. Any natural weaponry a Flood unit could employ (bone spikes, spore bombs, etc.) should only be usable by a live Flood unit. I personally don't see the idea of Flood Weapons having potential worth exploring.
Well I expected some to disagree, but instead of quote pyramids to defense I am going back to talk about how flood weapons could be added in.
This would be so cool. I'd love to see some fleshy, gross, seemingly alive weapons.
Izaya wrote:
This is really well thought out. I like the concept honestly.
So here is a question, if you were to design a Flood Weapon what would your concept be and what purpose would it be used for?
How about a proximity nade launcher. Instead of nades, it shoots sacks that can stick to any surface and explode when a enemy is close enough. You can shoot them to trigger an explosion. Another weapon could be a gas launcher. Fire a gas bomb that let's out poisonous gas, slowly melting at your armour when you stand in it. Both those weapons could make for some handy area denial plays.
Oh man they could really do a lot with this.

might be op but once you shoot a enemy with a flood weapon they get all zombie once you killed them and they attack their own team. But to make it far the rouge player could easily be killed.
Yes. Make a forerunner infected gun. And and a flood infected warthog.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2