Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

For Those Complaining About the Demo

OP HaloBungie343I

If you think the demo looked bad, do note the demo is 4 months old and was originally made to show at E3 2020. Meaning Halo still had 6 to 7 months to go in development time. Do you realize how much the game must have changed between then and now? Not to mention the point of a gameplay demo is exactly that. Gameplay. Not graphics. The whole point of the demo was to show us how the game plays. How it runs. Not looks. That will be reserved for the launch trailer in either late August or September. Maybe even early October. The game has until mid to late October to finish development and go Gold. If the November 17th release date is to be believed, we can assume the game should go Gold between the 14th and 21st of October. Meaning the game is done and sent to the disc manufacturing plants. However, it can also wait to go Gold until the 10th of November. Halo Combat Evolved went Gold around November 8th, 2001. The game is far from finished. A lot can happen in 2 months. Or, in the demo's case, 6 to 7 months.

Side note:
This is copy pasted from another topic. But the comment was mine there as well. I felt it needed its own topic as well.
Where was it stated by 343 that it was 4 months old?
Work in progress.
Possible response from Microsoft Games Studios Employee 2:00 - 3:50 that shows there is a high chance of this being 4 months old. But not a guarantee.
Work in progressMicrosoft Games Studios Employee information 2:00 - 3:50
Um... That's leaked information mate that we don't even know is true.

The actual 343 Industries rep in the video with Alanah never stated it was 4 months old. Not once.

You are spreading leaks as fact now. Not good.
If you think the demo looked bad, do note the demo is 4 months old and was originally made to show at E3 2020. Meaning Halo still had 6 to 7 months to go in development time. Do you realize how much the game must have changed between then and now? Not to mention the point of a gameplay demo is exactly that. Gameplay. Not graphics. The whole point of the demo was to show us how the game plays. How it runs. Not looks. That will be reserved for the launch trailer in either late August or September. Maybe even early October. The game has until mid to late October to finish development and go Gold. If the November 17th release date is to be believed, we can assume the game should go Gold between the 14th and 21st of October. Meaning the game is done and sent to the disc manufacturing plants. However, it can also wait to go Gold until the 10th of November. Halo Combat Evolved went Gold around November 8th, 2001. The game is far from finished. A lot can happen in 2 months. Or, in the demo's case, 6 to 7 months.

Side note:
This is copy pasted from another topic. But the comment was mine there as well. I felt it needed its own topic as well.
Whether it was 4 or 6 months old does not matter. At this point the game launches in a few months. It is impossible to make it look much better than it is already.
Work in progressMicrosoft Games Studios Employee information 2:00 - 3:50
Um... That's leaked information mate that we don't even know is true.

The actual 343 Industries rep in the video with Alanah never stated it was 4 months old. Not once.

You are spreading leaks as fact now. Not good.
Do not put words in my mouth. Never said it was fact. Never claimed it to be fact. I did not use the word "confirmed" "guaranteed" "343 said" or similar. You asked where did 343 say it. I provided my source. Yes, I said Microsoft Employee info. Not the best choice to be fair. I will edit it to show my true intention. I mean to show what may have been said. Not what was said.
Give an example of the last AAA title that improved its visuals SIGNIFICANTLY in 6 months.

I genuinely want to be proven wrong here, but The Witcher 3, Uncharted 4, God of War, Breath of the Wild, DOOM Eternal etc showed stunning demoes 6 months to 1 year before they released that were generally pretty reflective of the visual experience we got.

I've seen some people post Gears 4, but they post images from the MULTIPLAYER BETA that just lacked some textures to minimise the size of the download (core systems like lighting were still good) and MP graphics are scaled back on most games to maintain stable framerates. I've never seen poor CAMPAIGN demoes improve drastically in 6 months.

Side note:
Whether it was 4 or 6 months old does not matter. At this point the game launches in a few months. It is impossible to make it look much better than it is already.
Wrong.

Digital Foundry explained how to fix it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnQd6W9BxLg

Side note:
Wrong.

That's bas if they need DF to help them smh.

Side note:
Wrong.

Good lighting is not a magical fix for all textures. Nor does it fix aspects not texture related such as object pop in, static foliage (there's zero wind), ugly looking hexagonal pylons everywhere, ugly Craigs etc...

Side note:
Wrong.

Good lighting is not a magical fix for all textures.
Yes they need to fix the Phantom and Craig, among the plastic looking everything.

They should delay the game and do Halo justice. I'm not making any excuses for 343 but the game is salvageable should they choose to fix the issues
So why not show the best to us? COVID-19? Come on, even the screenshots in hwp article are so bad, why not show the update pictures? Developing hell is the worry, don’t want it happened.

5 years, I think gamers have given 343 enough patience and they have enough resources. Very disappointed about the demo’s graphic, and gameplay showcase is the formula we have seen for 19 years, tired of it.

What I and friends want is Battlefield style all-out BTB, 24-32 vs 24-32, ODST drops, Condors vs Scarabs etc. But we have very little hope that 343 would make such scenes happen, their characteristic style and sense.
The more I read about it, and the more I think about it, the more I consider the need to delay the release.
I've been optimistic up to this point, defending 343 on many forum pages, but after waiting and seeing this demo, now I'm really starting to get ticked off. I'm really starting to dislike the management of the franchise, although I never truly liked it since 2009. Now I'm actually going to go off on a rant for the first time.

We should all just give up and accept the fact that the people in charge of Infinite are the kind of people that tried to change the franchise into a Call Of Duty clone, then turned it from a slower-paced arena shooter into an advanced mobility twitch shooter, and then, after 5 years of development and a ton of backlash, released an older build of a demo with no basic polish at an event that's supposed to showcase the new powerful XBOX. And now have fans that SERIOUSLY think that the game's poor 2006-era lighting system, and its textures, and its animations, are gonna get fixed in a few months. Gameplay > graphics, but at least every Halo game has looked somewhat decent for their respective time periods. Infinite is the first to look genuinely poor.

And on top of that, these developers wrote online that they thought they made a beautiful game. What on Earth happened to one of the biggest, most respected franchises out there? it got made into a laughing-stock. I've never been so upset, even with Halo 5's campaign I was like "it's fine, it's just different to the other games." Now I'm just angry :(

Side note:
Im a developer, and the game will look exactly like the demo except maybe some details. Usually all you do last year is heavy bugfix, but knowing 343, the game will launch broken as all the games before. The demo looked bad bacause:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0sydRujLXY
Deleted, duplicated post.

Side note:
Wrong.

Wrong.

Your post is null and void. This video is wrong.

Side note:
I see where you are coming from, however 343 still showed this off without telling us that this was an old build. With 343's lack of communication, people still would have been upset if this was shown at E3.
Why wasn't a newer build shown to us? It leads me and others to believe that this is what we got because there isn't any old build. Think About it, news of this only came out after the backlash. Why do other games show off better looking demos for the current generation? That was unacceptable no matter how you look at it.

Side note:
I see where you are coming from, however 343 still showed this off without telling us that this was an old build. With 343's lack of communication, people still would have been upset if this was shown at E3.
Why wasn't a newer build shown to us? It leads me and others to believe that this is what we got because there isn't any old build. Think About it, news of this only came out after the backlash. Why do other games show off better looking demos for the current generation? That was unacceptable no matter how you look at it.
My bet is that the build was a recent build. And now they are embarrassed. And will not admit it was a recent build.
My bet is that the build was a recent build. And now they are embarrassed. And will not admit it was a recent build.
Its no secret that 343 isn't a very organized company. What we are seeing here is what happens when you release 2 unfinished games back to back. MCC an unplayable mess so 343 played catch up on fixing that while they should have been developing Halo infinite. Halo 5 buggy, and feature-less so 343 was spending a lot of resources turning that game into a finished product as well. Apparently a new engine was made and employees quit/fired so thats an internal issue within itself.

Why didn't Bonnie Ross announce Halo 5 or talk about it after the gameplay?