Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Forge news (short)

OP Nalla78

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Things to take note of in bold. Thanks Uny, more of this for the weekly updates.

“This information from the final Halo: Outpost Discovery event in Anaheim has made its way through most of the Forge community, but we wanted to make sure to highlight it here for everyone in the broader community as well. Michael Schorr, our Forge Lead Designer (Forge Lord), was able to confirm two very exciting pieces of news at one of our community-hosted "Forging Worlds" panels. Those two bits are:
Yes, Halo Infinite will have Forge
Forge will have Undo/redo buttons
While this may not seem like huge news to some, it means the ability to create worlds to others. And yes, Undo/redo buttons deserve to be a bullet point here as well. These have probably been the most requested Feature since the launch of Forge in Halo 3, back in 2007, and we're excited to be finally be able to deliver this to fans in Halo Infinite.”

Source
Spoiler:
Show
Yeh heard about that. I guess it's about time, I just hope Halo Infinite learns from H5's poor design and helps make Infinite's forge user friendly.
Hopefully they also make sure that the forge worlds are big with bigger budgets since I hated the limits on 4,5 while to this day Reach had the perfect balance on the 360...which is why it confused me when 4,5 were worse, more restrictive.
I cant tell you how much I wish there was a undo and redo button in forge. And also glad to hear that there will be forge in halo infinite
I just hope they tone it down with the Forge capabilities. Seeing so many commands that I can do was a bit overwhelming to me. Maybe have it so you can swap back and forth between a basic and advanced set of commands? This way both the casual Forgers and the Forge Artists/Architects can use it?

Maybe set the basic to the Halo: Reach version and the advanced can be the Halo 5 version (with whatever upgrades they make to it)?
This isn't the first time 343i have promised us an undo button. Hopefully, this time they will deliver! "You know our motto..."
That's good news to me, because I love to play other people's creations and see the amazing worlds some can make.
Especially as the new slipstream game engine would have been developed with forge in mind - as opposed to the current system which is tacked onto a pretty archaic game engine.

I can't wait to see what they come up with (and then what the creative forgers out their can do with it).
I just hope they tone it down with the Forge capabilities. Seeing so many commands that I can do was a bit overwhelming to me. Maybe have it so you can swap back and forth between a basic and advanced set of commands? This way both the casual Forgers and the Forge Artists/Architects can use it?

Maybe set the basic to the Halo: Reach version and the advanced can be the Halo 5 version (with whatever upgrades they make to it)?
I remember the first time I used Halo 5's forge, and I too was overwhelmed. The longer I used it though the more it was easier to take advantage of it. Laughable as it may be, but I tried Forging on Reach when we got the MCC Insider Beta for Xbox, and I actually have a hard time going "old school" nowadays 😂 I often run into other players who would like this option and I very much would like the community as a whole have as many options as they can.
Can we have this Forge mode be optional to install this time?I don't use it and in Halo 5 it took like over 30 gigabytes.
Izaya wrote:

I remember the first time I used Halo 5's forge, and I too was overwhelmed. The longer I used it though the more it was easier to take advantage of it. Laughable as it may be, but I tried Forging on Reach when we got the MCC Insider Beta for Xbox, and I actually have a hard time going "old school" nowadays 😂 I often run into other players who would like this option and I very much would like the community as a whole have as many options as they can.
I kept trying to get used to it, but for someone like me it just doesn't happen. Without a doubt, I'm sure there are many people who felt like me at first and then just got used to it, but there are probably just as many who were unable to adjust. So having options would be nice!
Besides the more complicated things like scripting and custom abilities, I really like the forge setup but It wouldn't bother me if they had a simpler/Older way that you can switch to for others to use but to me the simple design is more complicated because you are limited on tools. Its kinda like wanting windows paint over Gimp or photoshop.
Besides the more complicated things like scripting and custom abilities, I really like the forge setup but It wouldn't bother me if they had a simpler/Older way that you can switch to for others to use but to me the simple design is more complicated because you are limited on tools. Its kinda like wanting windows paint over Gimp or photoshop.
Man, I never understood how to make scripting work. The whole process was unclear and didn't make any sense to me. It never worked properly for me..
ronnie42 wrote:
Yeh heard about that. I guess it's about time, I just hope Halo Infinite learns from H5's poor design and helps make Infinite's forge user friendly.
Hopefully they also make sure that the forge worlds are big with bigger budgets since I hated the limits on 4,5 while to this day Reach had the perfect balance on the 360...which is why it confused me when 4,5 were worse, more restrictive.
“H5’s poor design” “the limits on 4,5” “4,5 were worse, more restrictive”
Umm, what?? Halo 5’s Forge is by far the best the franchise has ever seen. The UI is different yes, but once you get used to it forging becomes so much easier to do. I’ve tried going back to Reach’s forge and I just couldn’t. It’s just so bad compared to what H5 has to offer.

And I don’t know what you’re going on about with 4 and 5 forge being more restrictive, because they aren’t. 4’s forge was literally just a copy/paste of Reach with a few user friendliness improvements, but the budgets and limitations were identical. The amount I could build in Reach before the budget gives me the finger was identical to what I could do in 4.

And Halo 5 has by far the least restrictive forge. The use of several different budgets instead of one greatly expands the scope of possibilities and the scale of what you can do. In previous games, it was so easy for weapons and vehicles to take up a large portion of the budget. In H5, there’s a separate budget dedicated to that, and once I get done with weapons and vehicles, I have several other completely empty budgets to work with.

Ive seen player made maps in H5 that I legitimately almost thought were dev maps. In Reach and 4, it was so blatantly obvious if a map was forged.

You can have your own subjective opinion about H5’s forge, but if you think it’s worse than Reach’s, your subjective opinion is objectively wrong.
StuftRock1 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
Umm, what?? Halo 5’s Forge is by far the best the franchise has ever seen. The UI is different yes, but once you get used to it forging becomes so much easier to do. I’ve tried going back to Reach’s forge and I just couldn’t. It’s just so bad compared to what H5 has to offer.

And I don’t know what you’re going on about with 4 and 5 forge being more restrictive, because they aren’t. 4’s forge was literally just a copy/paste of Reach with a few user friendliness improvements, but the budgets and limitations were identical. The amount I could build in Reach before the budget gives me the finger was identical to what I could do in 4.

And Halo 5 has by far the least restrictive forge. The use of several different budgets instead of one greatly expands the scope of possibilities and the scale of what you can do. In previous games, it was so easy for weapons and vehicles to take up a large portion of the budget. In H5, there’s a separate budget dedicated to that, and once I get done with weapons and vehicles, I have several other completely empty budgets to work with.

Ive seen player made maps in H5 that I legitimately almost thought were dev maps. In Reach and 4, it was so blatantly obvious if a map was forged.

You can have your own subjective opinion about H5’s forge, but if you think it’s worse than Reach’s, your subjective opinion is objectively wrong.
Have to strongly disagree. I found Halo 5 to be awful to use, poorly handled and no getting used to the controls does not make the forge easier or faster. I've also gone back to Reach's forge and it's so much better. If Halo Infinite is as poorly designed as 5's then I probably will lose interest again. Halo 5 is the first Halo with forge that I despised.

I also don't know how you can claim it's not restrictive, to me what you said makes no sense, even the budget and the 'boundarys' is awful.
I've yet to see a single map that wasn't downgraded in scale because of H5's poor limitations, it is impossible to make certain because of the poor design. Having an opinion is 1 thing...but forcing limitations then straight up denying them is ridiculous, your view on what you think is "wrong" comes off as condescending.
Man, I never understood how to make scripting work. The whole process was unclear and didn't make any sense to me. It never worked properly for me..
Scripting was confusing to me at the start but as I kept practicing by making my first elevator and moving cars I got the hang of it. They also made scripting a lot more easier now than how it was when it first came out.
Scripting was confusing to me at the start but as I kept practicing by making my first elevator and moving cars I got the hang of it. They also made scripting a lot more easier now than how it was when it first came out.
Oh I see. I haven't really forged much in Halo 5, especially because I got busier in life, and my maps never got played much anymore since most of my friends left. I did get working doors and moving platforms, but sometimes they're spazz out or just not work as intended.
ronnie42 wrote:
StuftRock1 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:

Have to strongly disagree. I found Halo 5 to be awful to use, poorly handled and no getting used to the controls does not make the forge easier or faster. I've also gone back to Reach's forge and it's so much better. If Halo Infinite is as poorly designed as 5's then I probably will lose interest again. Halo 5 is the first Halo with forge that I despised.

I also don't know how you can claim it's not restrictive, to me what you said makes no sense, even the budget and the 'boundarys' is awful.
I've yet to see a single map that wasn't downgraded in scale because of H5's poor limitations, it is impossible to make certain because of the poor design. Having an opinion is 1 thing...but forcing limitations then straight up denying them is ridiculous, your view on what you think is "wrong" comes off as condescending.
Have you even seen some of the creations in H5 forge? The stuff a talented forger can create in H5 compared to Reach isn’t even a competition. It’s like comparing the Xbox One X to the PlayStation 1 in terms of raw computing power.

I’m sorry but if you’re having problems with H5 forge the problem is you. It’s not even a matter of preference at this point. H5 forge is objectively better than Reach forge. It’s like saying the PS1 is a better gaming console than the One X. Just, no. The One X can compute circles around that dinosaur. You may like the PS1 more, but the One X is still an objectively better console. H5 forge is objectively better than Reach forge. Sorry to burst your bubble but that’s the way it is.
It's tricky isn't it. As forge becomes more powerful - it becomes harder for new players to get into.

I've only ever dabbled in forge... but what I would find handy;

1. Some sort of simple 2D mode - where you could quickly assemble a basic floor plan (walls and floors) and then take this group of pieces into the 3D world for tweaking. It would speed things up enormously. Bonus points if you can simply sketch / scan your floor plan and the program finds the closest sized pieces to fit.

2. Easier selection of pieces - somewhere you can 'save' the main pieces you plan to use on your map and quickly access them without having to trawl back through the larger inventory.

3. The ability to cycle through pieces after they have already been placed. After I have meticulously placed a piece it would be handy to simply cycle through similar sized / typed pieces so I can see if they look better.

4. Sight (sniper) lines. It would be cool to be able to place a 'sniper' icon on a map... then allow you to run around your map as a spartan while forge tells you if the 'sniper' has a clear head shot at you. Would make it much easier to create more 'open' maps with strategically placed obstacles.

5. Texture options. Simple ones that can be combined and applied to walls / ground / rocks etc... which can then be used to create all sorts of alien landscapes.

Again, I am only a Forge dabbler... and to be honest I've hardly touched Halo 5's forge - it's a bit intimidating. But respect to those who have weaved the magic.
StuftRock1 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
StuftRock1 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
Have you even seen some of the creations in H5 forge? The stuff a talented forger can create in H5 compared to Reach isn’t even a competition. It’s like comparing the Xbox One X to the PlayStation 1 in terms of raw computing power.

I’m sorry but if you’re having problems with H5 forge the problem is you. It’s not even a matter of preference at this point. H5 forge is objectively better than Reach forge. It’s like saying the PS1 is a better gaming console than the One X. Just, no. The One X can compute circles around that dinosaur. You may like the PS1 more, but the One X is still an objectively better console. H5 forge is objectively better than Reach forge. Sorry to burst your bubble but that’s the way it is.
Have you? because it makes no sense whatsoever how you can assume anyone with my 'rank' in H5 play as long as I have without seeing any.

As for what's been made in Halo 5...nowhere did I say talent doesn't exist within the poor limitations of H5. If you're comparing ps1 to xbox one x then you're clearly 'grasping at straws'. I like both consoles...and both of them have their disadvantages, advantages and you're going way off topic.

No, you have a serious problem with anyone disliking H5 forge. If people like Halo 5's forge then fine but there's better ways of talking about it without sounding condescending just because you specifically enjoy it, can't handle the fact that not everyone's opinion is your own.

It's called a preference and I, many others hated Halo 5's forge...now if you can't handle that then that's on you but despite what you may believe....not everyone liked it, shouldn't be forced to use it if they don't enjoy using it.
ronnie42 wrote:
StuftRock1 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
StuftRock1 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:

Have you? because it makes no sense whatsoever how you can assume anyone with my 'rank' in H5 play as long as I have without seeing any.

As for what's been made in Halo 5...nowhere did I say talent doesn't exist within the poor limitations of H5. If you're comparing ps1 to xbox one x then you're clearly 'grasping at straws'. I like both consoles...and both of them have their disadvantages, advantages and you're going way off topic.

No, you have a serious problem with anyone disliking H5 forge. If people like Halo 5's forge then fine but there's better ways of talking about it without sounding condescending just because you specifically enjoy it, can't handle the fact that not everyone's opinion is your own.

It's called a preference and I, many others hated Halo 5's forge...now if you can't handle that then that's on you but despite what you may believe....not everyone liked it, shouldn't be forced to use it if they don't enjoy using it.
I have seen many creations actually. Go look at my bookmarked maps, specifically Pyromancer. Look at my own Vehicle Fiesta maps. None of these were even conceivable in Reach. You might be able to replicate Pyromancer’s layout, but good luck trying to even come close to the detailing and textures.

Talent will only go as far as the limitations of the game, surely you must realize that. Take the number one most talented forger on the planet and tell them to replicate the OG Vehicle Fiesta map in Reach. Same size, same terrain, same number of working teleporters, same number of vehicles (obviously Reach has a different vehicle selection from H5, so just try to get the same number of vehicles in), same spawning room, etc. Spoiler alert: they can’t. The budget is more restrictive, there are no terrain pieces, no invisible barriers, no Pelican or Phantom props, no weather options... Talent will only get you as far as what the game allows. Heck, people have even recreated Forge World in Halo 5.

I don’t have a problem with people not liking H5 forge. I have a problem with people attempting to claim that H5 forge is more restrictive and limiting than Reach, because that claim is so objectively false its cringe worthy. You can not like the new ui, you can not like the forge maps available (which frankly is something completely separate from forge itself), but to look at all the new amazing features H5 has to offer such as scripting, texturing, terrain building, weather, smoother and more user friendly movement, budget system, better magnets, ability to edit coordinates, and a much wider selection of props and sfx and say that Reach, where all of those things either don’t exist or are significantly inferior, is better just grinds my gears.

You can not like H5 forge. That’s your choice and I frankly don’t care what your opinion is. But Reach forge is objectively thousands of times more limiting and restrictive than H5 forge, and I know for a fact the vast majority of the community agrees with me on that because of the amazingly high praise H5 forge got for being by far the best in the franchise. You don’t like it? Cool. You know of other people who also don’t like it? Cool. I know of people who truly believe H5 had an amazing campaign. That doesn’t mean the campaign is actually good.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2