Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Free to play vs full game model

OP mike2k132

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Ok guys I have a simple question....I see alot of free to play model vs full classic game at 60 bucks. But where I don't follow is why is this a issue with people with halo infinite like u can't choose your model.

If you a free to play guy, 343 make it the apex model where u gotta buy stuff more then the base cosmetics if u want. Even n Apex u can get all the cosmetics( just takes alot of grinding, which is fair to me)

If you want the no micro transaction route(buy the full game) where you get everything unlocked n single player game.

In this Scenario you still would have level progress to unlock things. Just quicker with the full game.

So doesn't this solve the issue. Being a why not both, which it looks like they doing
Micro transactions do not belong in Halo
The campaign is $60. if you want to pay for multiplayer on top of that then you're going to pay more than $60. They're trying to compensate for rising costs and at the moment, microtransactions are how the industry is trying to deal with that because more people are willing to spend $10 on cosmetics than $80 for a game they don't know if they'll like.

and honestly, I don't see why the free game can't have a level progression system, they've already said most of the cosmetics are unlockable for free anyways.
Agreed. Id Software showed us they will gladly and aggressively stomp on stupid and shady anti-consumer practices. Hope 343i follows suit.
I really hope they don't make cosmetics randomized again.
Reach had a good system in my opinion where you bought the cosmetics through credits gotten by playing, but I actually liked halo 4 even better.
In halo 4 you would unlock certain items by completing certain accommodations such as: get first strike 100 times, complete UNSC weapons master, reach lvl 50 etc etc.
I really like both of these bc you could visually see who put in the work to get certain types of armor and that would affect gameplay. I remember being intimidated by who had the flaming skull on Reach and who had a certain stance on Halo 4 because that means they put in a LOT of hours grinding.
What I would like to see the most is a special armor set for those who completed the campaign on legendary. That would make me so happy :)
The campaign is $60. if you want to pay for multiplayer on top of that then you're going to pay more than $60. They're trying to compensate for rising costs and at the moment, microtransactions are how the industry is trying to deal with that because more people are willing to spend $10 on cosmetics than $80 for a game they don't know if they'll like.

and honestly, I don't see why the free game can't have a level progression system, they've already said most of the cosmetics are unlockable for free anyways.
The campaign is going to need to carry itself in this case. I am sincerely hoping we get a super-replayable 15 hour campaign (more if you do all of the side things such as collectables.

I wholeheartedly believe that owners of the campaign should get a boost for multiplayer too. Maybe make it an additional way to earn in game currency, or a stockpile of cosmetics to start. Even just giving us a basic armor coating for multiplayer with simple textures, but we get one of each color.

However, I don't think there is any way that they will cut micro-transactions out like OP wants for full game purchasers, simply for the reasons you stated above.

I
I think Apex does the free to play model very well, although it does take a lot of grinding to get currency to unlock legendary skins in Apex. I think no matter how Halo does their free to play model, there will be people that are upset because at the end of the day the game will want you to spend money. I think the important thing that Halo needs to nail is making sure that there is a substantial amount of unlockables that are easy or fair to get through just gameplay alone. If they have a set of skins that are more difficult to unlock through gameplay but you could buy them to unlock faster then I'd be ok with as long as not every skin/armor coating is like that. As long as you are rewarded for actually playing the game I will be fine with whatever free to play model they end up going with.
I can kinda agree, that kinda solves the problem, that way maybe more people will buy the game rather than freely playing and buying as they go, but me. ....I have about $2,000 saved just for Halo Infinite, $1000 saved hopefully for the better collectors edition that they (might or might not) come out with, and the other $1,000 for whatever microtransactions they have when the game comes out. I spent quite a bit of money on Halo 5 just for reqs to level up faster.
If buying the full game allowed you to avoid microtransactions that would be great, problem is that 343/MS/literally any AAA company don't want you to be able to choose your model. They want you to pay up for the full game and be stuck with the predatory F2P models if you want to get the whole experience.

They want to have their cake and eat it with the full price purchase and manipulative F2P mechanics that make them absurd amounts of money because that is how manipulative models work.
People keep mentioning Doom Eternal as the poster child of no MTX.

Obviously it was a well received / popular game.

What are Id's ongoing plans? Are they releasing any DLC - and do you have to pay for it. Have they kept up the server access / quality? Do they have lots of rotating playlists etc. When is the next Doom game expected?

Sorry, genuinely don't know - and was just wondering how that compares to what we expect from Halo Infinite.

X 1NF1NI7Y wrote:
I can kinda agree, that kinda solves the problem, that way maybe more people will buy the game rather than freely playing and buying as they go, but me. ....I have about $2,000 saved just for Halo Infinite, $1000 saved hopefully for the better collectors edition that they (might or might not) come out with, and the other $1,000 for whatever microtransactions they have when the game comes out. I spent quite a bit of money on Halo 5 just for reqs to level up faster.
Wow! And here I was budgeting about $50 (Australian).
Darwi wrote:
People keep mentioning Doom Eternal as the poster child of no MTX.

Obviously it was a well received / popular game.

What are Id's ongoing plans? Are they releasing any DLC - and do you have to pay for it. Have they kept up the server access / quality? Do they have lots of rotating playlists etc. When is the next Doom game expected?

Sorry, genuinely don't know - and was just wondering how that compares to what we expect from Halo Infinite.

X 1NF1NI7Y wrote:
Wow! And here I was budgeting about $50 (Australian).
Doom Eternal is a bit different in that the only multiplayer mode they have is a 1v2 mode where 2 players play as demons and one as the Doom Slayer and they try to kill each other. The main focus of the game is campaign and ID software has already released two Campaign DLCs which you can buy. The focus of Doom right now is very much on just delivering a campaign and then expansions on top of that for campaign, and multiplayer is just kind of there.
Doom Eternal is a bit different in that the only multiplayer mode they have is a 1v2 mode where 2 players play as demons and one as the Doom Slayer and they try to kill each other. The main focus of the game is campaign and ID software has already released two Campaign DLCs which you can buy. The focus of Doom right now is very much on just delivering a campaign and then expansions on top of that for campaign, and multiplayer is just kind of there.
If that's the case it's pretty laughable for people to expect that model to fund Infinite's extensive multiplayer costs.
mike2k132 wrote:
Ok guys I have a simple question....I see alot of free to play model vs full classic game at 60 bucks. But where I don't follow is why is this a issue with people with halo infinite like u can't choose your model.

If you a free to play guy, 343 make it the apex model where u gotta buy stuff more then the base cosmetics if u want. Even n Apex u can get all the cosmetics( just takes alot of grinding, which is fair to me)

If you want the no micro transaction route(buy the full game) where you get everything unlocked n single player game.

In this Scenario you still would have level progress to unlock things. Just quicker with the full game.

So doesn't this solve the issue. Being a why not both, which it looks like they doing
I rather have a full priced game where unlocks are earned by worthwhile challenges and not locked behind paywalls or timed exclusive events that require players 'cheat' to skip ahead or pay to finish for people who weren't fast enough. Also I find it a bit annoying that full priced games are still paid online only on consoles when PC gamers can play online for free with any of the ported Halo games.

Honestly couldn't care less about Apex since it's essentially feels like lazy development like all the BR games and that's what I'm concerned Infinite will turn into if they later decided to go this route with BR. Also I'm literally sick and tired of the grind in recent Halo games so I can be pretty certain that I'd be annoyed if Infinite turns into more mindless grinding for unlocks. I miss actually earning unlocks within a reasonable time involving skill based challenges instead of penalising players for not being fast enough.
I mean it's on gamepass so you have the chance to play it there, they are allowing the f2p model go through for those who only want multiplayer, when it comes to microtransactions, I think they are fine as long as they don't affect gameplay directly. I want some good stuff that you just earn outright, but I also don't mind kicking a few bucks to the developers when I get literally hundred if not thousands of hours of entertainment.
I think Apex does the free to play model very well, although it does take a lot of grinding to get currency to unlock legendary skins in Apex. I think no matter how Halo does their free to play model, there will be people that are upset because at the end of the day the game will want you to spend money. I think the important thing that Halo needs to nail is making sure that there is a substantial amount of unlockables that are easy or fair to get through just gameplay alone. If they have a set of skins that are more difficult to unlock through gameplay but you could buy them to unlock faster then I'd be ok with as long as not every skin/armor coating is like that. As long as you are rewarded for actually playing the game I will be fine with whatever free to play model they end up going with.
Ok let me attack this, I just got into apex like 2 months ago. I originally tried it when apex first came out n didn't really play it for some reason. But now in addicted, n own the grinding put, I don't even care that it takes a grind to get those legendaries that's cool,free to play. I've never been like man I gotta grind too much, because it's a fun game. N I'm old enough to not have fomo lol. It doesn't chance how much I love the game seeing someone with a cool skin. It's just a skin lol. If that person wanna spend money let them. I love the game so I'll unlock them one day. I play apex now like every day. Never spent 1 actual real dime. They to me are the example, just make a good game. N fun
Mongerty wrote:

The campaign is going to need to carry itself in this case. I am sincerely hoping we get a super-replayable 15 hour campaign (more if you do all of the side things such as collectables.

I wholeheartedly believe that owners of the campaign should get a boost for multiplayer too. Maybe make it an additional way to earn in game currency, or a stockpile of cosmetics to start. Even just giving us a basic armor coating for multiplayer with simple textures, but we get one of each color.

However, I don't think there is any way that they will cut micro-transactions out like OP wants for full game purchasers, simply for the reasons you stated above.

I
I'm pretty sure, 343i said playing campaign give cosmetics for multiplayer in their Inside Infinite of December 2020.
Quote:
Yes, being free-to-play does mean that there will be some premium cosmetics, but players will still obtain tons of customization content through things like playing campaign, challenges, skill, special events, legacy rewards (such as the Halo 5 SR 152 reward), the progression system, and more.
YukiryuFR wrote:
Mongerty wrote:

I
I'm pretty sure, 343i said playing campaign give cosmetics for multiplayer in their Inside Infinite of December 2020.
Quote:
Yes, being free-to-play does mean that there will be some premium cosmetics, but players will still obtain tons of customization content through things like playing campaign, challenges, skill, special events, legacy rewards (such as the Halo 5 SR 152 reward), the progression system, and more.
I don't want to be too negative, but that post is very vague. They could mean exactly what I am asking for, or they could be referring to a general in-game currency accrual from playing the campaign. Until they give us hard facts about what comes with campaign, I won't count my chickens.
Mongerty wrote:
YukiryuFR wrote:
Mongerty wrote:

I
Quote:
I don't want to be too negative, but that post is very vague. They could mean exactly what I am asking for, or they could be referring to a general in-game currency accrual from playing the campaign. Until they give us hard facts about what comes with campaign, I won't count my chickens.
Yeah, it is very vague, I also wish we could have more information on it cause it's really confusing. They're really greedy with information about multiplayer and customization, maybe we will have more info during this E3, I hope.
tuhin94 wrote:
Agreed. Id Software showed us they will gladly and aggressively stomp on stupid and shady anti-consumer practices. Hope 343i follows suit.
Pretty sad/laughable how that turned out.
BVC91996Would not mind micro transactions, reason being, it would allow them to bring in more money to keep the game going. Halo MCC is doing fine for now, but to keep throwing out free updates is gonna come to an end. Bring the micro transactions for new cosmetics or whatever later on to keep the game going. Fortnite, Warzone and Apex for example, they can keep doing these events and stuff because they get money from these things to push them out.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3