Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

From Cautious Optimism to Concern

OP JustAlex1997

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
While I initially planned to wait until E3 2020 to comment on my concerns with Halo Infinite, those concerns grow greater with each passing day.

When 343 Industries first revealed Halo Infinite, they gave those of us who've disliked the direction of the franchise a sliver of hope. With Halo getting its visual and tonal personality back, as well as promises of the community helping 343 Industries craft the game, there was reason to be cautiously optimistic. However, with people leaving 343 Industries, the concerning service-based nature the game's supposedly taking, the fact that 343 Industries' silence on the game may be due to them attempting to hide something, and a lack of adequate time for the community to help them with the game pre-launch (plus many more issues), Halo Infinite is a game that I'm struggling to call myself cautiously optimistic about.

Even as someone who dislikes 343 Industries, most Halo-related news has been good since 2018. People have started having faith in 343 Industries again, and Halo's even had an increase in relevance after showing no signs of being able to for years. If Halo Infinite is yet another 343 Industries game, I don't think they'll get another chance to impress. I haven't financially supported the Halo franchise since around 2015 or 2016, and if Halo Infinite turns out to be bad, I'll know without a shadow of a doubt that modern Halo has little to offer me.

But hey, we have an art and musical style which better represents the original games, splitscreen, and 343 Industries hinting at the return of the original gameplay by saying that they don't want to just copy market trends anymore. We'll see how things go at E3.
Your concerns are absolutely fair. I'm still cautiously optimistic though. A lack of information is not proof that something is wrong. I've brought it up before, but here's a good place to reiterate. H5s marketing campaign was so misleading that it nearly crashed the franchise. A long, drawn out marketing campaign might not be the best move since people could be skeptical of its legitimacy. Instead, opting for a short and concise marketing campaign could be beneficial for a variety of reasons. I've jotted down a few below:
  • It's cheaper
  • It adds mystery, which is a stated goal with Infinite
  • The viral nature of speculation has the potential to generate more hype than a trailer could
As for people leaving, that's the nature of the industry now-a-days. In fact, that's the nature of the modern workforce in general. Back in college I read a statistic that a college graduate will change job titles on average 11 times before they're 30 years old. That can mean promotions, but it can also mean lateral moves to other companies. People move around a lot more these days. You can work remotely, travel easily, or just move to a new city every few years, which wasn't really an option only a few decades ago. So people leaving doesn't concern me as much as it used to. It can be a bad sign, but not always.

I will agree that I am concerned about the fact that flighting hasn't started. I thought a while back 343 said they would do flighting a year out from each game release. Idk if that's still their goal, but we are within the one year window now for Infinite's launch.
The fact that we haven't even heard of anything related to flights has me kinda worried.
The fact that we haven't even heard of anything related to flights has me kinda worried.
Why though flights/betas are usually very near to the release date of a game that kind of information drop right now doesn't make much sense as it hinges on the Xbox one X series release as well?

also very early in the year imagine the main marketing focus will begin around July/August onwards so expect to hear very little at the moment.

also im kinda in the same boat as op I hope for the best but ultimately expect the worse seeing Halo 4/5 i overly enjoyed but both still had their problems and i kinda grew tired of playing both.
Why though flights/betas are usually very near to the release date of a game that kind of information drop right now doesn't make much sense as it hinges on the Xbox one X series release as well?

also very early in the year imagine the main marketing focus will begin around July/August onwards so expect to hear very little at the moment.

also im kinda in the same boat as op I hope for the best but ultimately expect the worse seeing Halo 4/5 i overly enjoyed but both still had their problems and i kinda grew tired of playing both.
H5's beta started around a year before release but we haven't even heard a date for Infinite's. They want to do multiple flights this time and take in more feedback than in the past and to do that I think they'd need to start like right now but we've heard nothing.

Halo doesn't typically do the fake beta tests we see with other franchises. Instead of using release builds, early builds (which are current at the time) are used so there's proper time to implement improvements based on feedback. And as 343 Industries stated that they were going to do that with Halo Infinite, it seems as though that's going to be a lie.
I'd bet the beta date is announced at E3, or is announced as a "and you can play it now" thing during E3. I imagine we'll get a strong couple minutes of campaign gameplay, and a small intro into MP too. Or maybe reverse that depending on what their focus for secret keeping is.
I'd bet the beta date is announced at E3, or is announced as a "and you can play it now" thing during E3. I imagine we'll get a strong couple minutes of campaign gameplay, and a small intro into MP too. Or maybe reverse that depending on what their focus for secret keeping is.
It wouldn't be a beta build this close to release, so that still doesn't leave adequate time for improvements.
It wouldn't be a beta build this close to release, so that still doesn't leave adequate time for improvements.
Improvements may be a lot easier to implement with their new game engine.
This is how I feel. There's NO WAY for 343I to make any decent changes to Infinite if the beta comes out summer or even worst, fall.

I really thought we would have an early flight mid/late winter but it's looking more and more as the "beta" and I use that word loosely, will just be a stress test for servers, which is good, but yeah....

At the very least it better be summer so we can give feedback on the UI and weapon balancing. If not, I fear the worst for Infinite. It won't be MCC bad at least.
The lack of Halo stuff is directly tied to the launch of the new Xbox.

343 can't put out anything that interferes with Microsoft's unveiling / marketing plans.

We've pretty much seen nothing of any game for the Xbox Series X... let alone from THE proverbial launch title.

It will come... and it will come in a rush.
This E3 343 announce the Beta for PC an Xbox
Darwi wrote:
I agree, but it could be equally a lot harder than they first thought. We've seen DOOM and now Cyberpunk delayed. I agree with the OP, I'm worried for Halo Infinite.

Edit = I hope I'm wrong but I won't be surprised if Halo Infinite is released on base Xbox One consoles a month or so after the Series X launch.
eviltedi wrote:
Darwi wrote:
I agree, but it could be equally a lot harder than they first thought. We've seen DOOM and now Cyberpunk delayed. I agree with the OP, I'm worried for Halo Infinite.
Halo sell Xbox not back
eviltedi wrote:
Darwi wrote:
Halo sell Xbox not back
I don't know what you mean.
eviltedi wrote:
eviltedi wrote:
Darwi wrote:
Halo sell Xbox not back
Halo is the most powerful product on the Xbox videogames history
eviltedi wrote:
eviltedi wrote:
Darwi wrote:
Halo sell Xbox not back
Halo is the most powerful product on the Xbox videogames history
It used to be. Halo is not the console selling powerhouse it once was. Also, Microsoft are pushing for playing their games anywhere, console, PC etc. I think Halo Infinite has a lot to prove and I see issues, especially with the base consoles. I own an original day one Xbox and a day one Profect Scorpio X, the differences are significant. I think it's great players are not forced to upgrade consoles, but I think there will be issues. Unfortunately 343i have not clarified anything.

H5's beta started around a year before release but we haven't even heard a date for Infinite's. They want to do multiple flights this time and take in more feedback than in the past and to do that I think they'd need to start like right now but we've heard nothing.
i Agree 2 sets of beta tests would show what to expect but also show how fan feedback is being handled as well.

I still feel its all tied up with Xbox series X marketing though so we may not hear much yet..
While I initially planned to wait until E3 2020 to comment on my concerns with Halo Infinite, those concerns grow greater with each passing day.

When 343 Industries first revealed Halo Infinite, they gave those of us who've disliked the direction of the franchise a sliver of hope. With Halo getting its visual and tonal personality back, as well as promises of the community helping 343 Industries craft the game, there was reason to be cautiously optimistic. However, with people leaving 343 Industries, the concerning service-based nature the game's supposedly taking, the fact that 343 Industries' silence on the game may be due to them attempting to hide something, and a lack of adequate time for the community to help them with the game pre-launch (plus many more issues), Halo Infinite is a game that I'm struggling to call myself cautiously optimistic about.

Even as someone who dislikes 343 Industries, most Halo-related news has been good since 2018. People have started having faith in 343 Industries again, and Halo's even had an increase in relevance after showing no signs of being able to for years. If Halo Infinite is yet another 343 Industries game, I don't think they'll get another chance to impress. I haven't financially supported the Halo franchise since around 2015 or 2016, and if Halo Infinite turns out to be bad, I'll know without a shadow of a doubt that modern Halo has little to offer me.

But hey, we have an art and musical style which better represents the original games, splitscreen, and 343 Industries hinting at the return of the original gameplay by saying that they don't want to just copy market trends anymore. We'll see how things go at E3.
"with people leaving 343 Industries"
343i has hundreds of employees. People leave companies all the time. They get better offers elsewhere. They want to live somewhere else. There are a litany of reasons that people leave companies. Only in the gaming community is there this illogical assumption that every employee is supposed to remain at a developer during the duration of some project or else "something must be wrong".

"the service-based nature of the game"
What service-base nature? Is this based on some confirmed info? Or 100%unsubstantiated internet conjecture?

"may be due to them trying to hide something"
Or it's simply because they don't want to show anything yet. They told us last year that more will be shown at E3 2020. They never confirmed any showing before then. I'm surprised as well that we haven't seen any gameplay yet but using that to jump to "they must be hiding something" is illogical.

Wait until something is actually shown before arriving at some opinion. Anything else is pointless.
I think Ubisoft, Activision, and EA have all had huge games with betas occurring 1 month-2 weeks before a games launch recently (past 2 years). And if my memory serves me right, at least EA and Activision had games that put tweaks into day 1 patches thanks to the feedback from the betas.

It seems more to me like your expectations from the beta is a pretty early version of the game to play that will have some decently impactful changes between then and launch.

That's what they did with Halo 5, and everyone focused on the changes between beta and launch that they percieved as negative. No one discussed the positive changes to gameplay between the two. That negative publicity outcome is why I think the beta will be closer to release as mainly a server stress test.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3